Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Asura's Wrath

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 21, 2012

Asura's Wrath is an interactive anime action title that tells the tale of violent demigod Asura on a quest for vengeance against the cabal of gods that betrayed him.

Asura's Wrath Impressions After Demo

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SpencerTucksen

Numerous people are criticizing the game for its graphics, or its gameplay. Honestly, I found it entertaining. It's filled to the absolutely brim with Quick-Time Events, but they're not a bad thing, for me The graphics are fine, and everything seems okay and at least moderately original, considering it's still only in demo stage. The sound is also stellar. What'd you think?

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By cosi83

yay quick time! no, gonna pass on it. shame as i was interested initially. Capcom best do better with Dragon's Dogma

blueaniman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By blueaniman93

Asura's Wrath is more like an interactive movie than a video game. Pretty much the exact opposite of what I look for in a game.

UltimAXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By UltimAXE

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but every single impression I've read about this game in general tells me that I shouldn't even waste my time downloading it. I'm a huge fan of third person character action games, which you'd expect Asura's Wrath to be, but I say "No thank you" to the QTEs that it apparently runs thick with. Put me in control of the crazy shit in the same way that Bayonetta manages to do it.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SpencerTucksen
    @UltimAXE said:

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but every single impression I've read about this game in general tells me that I shouldn't even waste my time downloading it. I'm a huge fan of third person character action games, which you'd expect Asura's Wrath to be, but I say "No thank you" to the QTEs that it apparently runs thick with. Put me in control of the crazy shit in the same way that Bayonetta manages to do it.

The parts I did play were both boss battles. That's all anyone got to see. They tried to make the game look more "epic" by having that grand scale but it gives the feeling that the rest of the game will be the same. I personally highly doubt it and think people should give it a break. The boss battles are basically interactive movies, to a degree, but I do still believe it has potential to be fine. I don't expect it to be God of War, but God War's boss fights are generally regarded as amazing, despite being (at least the only parts that further the battles) comprised largely of Quick-time events. I think it could possibly be the same case here.

@blueaniman93 said:

Asura's Wrath is more like an interactive movie than a video game. Pretty much the exact opposite of what I look for in a game.

See above.
    UltimAXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By UltimAXE

@SpencerTucksen: Well, I did download the demo and played through both episodes last night, and as expected I was not impressed. Arbitrarily mashing the circle button is not my idea as fun, and sure as hell doesn't pass as gameplay. Pushing an analogue stick to the side doesn't put me into the shoes of the character at all. I get what they're trying to do, but it's not working for me and isn't stimulating in any way. There is absolutely nothing exciting or interesting about QTEs in games. If this is all that Asura's Wrath has to offer, then I'mma pass on it. And that's too bad, because I love the look of the game and am genuinely interested in what the hell is going on in its story.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By DocHaus

The demo made it look like more of an interactive movie than a $60 video game. Granted, those scenes were impressive, but I was hoping for a little more game there.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By SuperWristBands

What is wrong with the graphics? I want to download it but won't be able to for a while.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought this "game" looked like complete shit from the first trailer. After "playing" the demo, I really think Asura's Wrath is among the worst "games" I've ever "played".

I don't want to dredge up the whole Mega Man Legends 3 thing, but the fact that Capcom cancelled that and funded this is... I don't even know the right word to properly express my disgust.

Avatar image for countinhallways
    countinhallways

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By countinhallways

After about five minutes I was disgusted. All this is is a series of interactive cut scenes with massive button prompts and some quite nice looking imagery... some Dragonball Z-like exposition... some enjoyably awful dialogue... actually wait a second. I think I like this game (sic).

Once I had decided to embrace this for what it is, which is barely a game, I began to get into it. I reckon I will get it when it drops to like 30 quid. Which will most likely happen very, very quickly. But really, nothing wrong with some absurd animeeeeeeeeeeee action cutscenes now and again. If it turns out to be at least, say, 4 hours long, I will check it out.

I thought some of the imagery and scenarios seen in the demo were great. Sure they barely constitute gameplay, but knowing that, I would have no problem with playing this like some sort of interactive comic/movie experience. If it features more fantastic scenes such as that godlike fat dude fingering the Earth, then all the better.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Branthog

I just realized that I have been repeatedly saying that I am turned off by Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, because of the shitty "I'm a twelve year old boy and I collect pokemon" art-style. I didn't realize until just this thread that I had mistaken two games for each other and that it's ASURA'S WRATH that I thought had a repulsive art-style that turned me off from ever even remotely considering playing it.

So . . . COOL! Now I can go put Amalur on my "maybe" list again!

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By MysteriousBob

Playing this demo was a chore. I hate QTEs and Capcom expects me to buy a whole game of them? Piss off.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @Branthog said:

I just realized that I have been repeatedly saying that I am turned off by Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, because of the shitty "I'm a twelve year old boy and I collect pokemon" art-style. I didn't realize until just this thread that I had mistaken two games for each other and that it's ASURA'S WRATH that I thought had a repulsive art-style that turned me off from ever even remotely considering playing it.

I get that it is subjective and all, but I couldn't be farther from your opinion. I love the art style and until a few moments ago it was the only reason I was interested in it. Not a huge fan of quick time events anymore (thought they were good in RE4, haven't liked them since) but the "cheesy DBZ" stuff someone said earlier has got me interested too. Also, the art reminds me of Street Fighter 4, well the human looking people do anyway, which is great cause I love the way that game looks.
    recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14  Edited By recroulette

So how close to Heavy Rain is this game?

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MysteriousBob

@RecSpec said:

Imagine Heavy Rain.

But without a plot.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16  Edited By recroulette
    @MysteriousBob said:

@RecSpec said:

Imagine Heavy Rain.

But without a plot.

That sounds pretty horrible, and I actually liked Heavy Rain
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MysteriousBob

@RecSpec said:

@MysteriousBob said:

@RecSpec said:

Imagine Heavy Rain.

But without a plot.

Actually I'm being unfair, its hard to grasp a plot from a two level demo. It does remind me why I hate Dragonball Z though. The game just endlessly tries to top the last action scene.

"You thought that was my real power? WELL I WAS HOLDING BACK. HERE IS THE ULTIMATE UNSTOPPABLE POWER!!!!!!!!"

Then repeat that every level/episode, each time reaching new levels of absurdity.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By napalm
    @RecSpec said:
    @MysteriousBob said:

@RecSpec said:

Imagine Heavy Rain.

But without a plot.

I liked Heavy Rain a bunch as well, but a quick time event-fest is not what I want out of a character action game.
    SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SpencerTucksen
    @countinhallways said:

After about five minutes I was disgusted. All this is is a series of interactive cut scenes with massive button prompts and some quite nice looking imagery... some Dragonball Z-like exposition... some enjoyably awful dialogue... actually wait a second. I think I like this game (sic).

Once I had decided to embrace this for what it is, which is barely a game, I began to get into it. I reckon I will get it when it drops to like 30 quid. Which will most likely happen very, very quickly. But really, nothing wrong with some absurd animeeeeeeeeeeee action cutscenes now and again. If it turns out to be at least, say, 4 hours long, I will check it out.

I thought some of the imagery and scenarios seen in the demo were great. Sure they barely constitute gameplay, but knowing that, I would have no problem with playing this like some sort of interactive comic/movie experience. If it features more fantastic scenes such as that godlike fat dude fingering the Earth, then all the better.

Well, I'd say it's alright. I didn't LOVE it but the people flipping out about how there's a bunch of QTE's need to calm down and not make the assumption that the entire game is like that. See the below comment for the rest of why it's stupid to make that assumption.

@SuperWristBands said:

@Branthog said:

I get that it is subjective and all, but I couldn't be farther from your opinion. I love the art style and until a few moments ago it was the only reason I was interested in it. Not a huge fan of quick time events anymore (thought they were good in RE4, haven't liked them since) but the "cheesy DBZ" stuff someone said earlier has got me interested too. Also, the art reminds me of Street Fighter 4, well the human looking people do anyway, which is great cause I love the way that game looks.
    I like how it looks as well. And how can people judge an entire game and say "Fuck this" because two boss battles had a ton of QTEs. Again, I reference God of War wear the only real progress in those fights was in QTEs. For all we know, the rest of the game will be awesome. And honestly, I don't hate Quick-Time Events. They're not as tiring as bouncing around all over the place hitting Hades 100 times before anything happens.  This game just cuts more of the repetition out of a boss battle, as far as we know.
    Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Sander

It looks like somebody's aiming to make the perfect game for smoking weed with.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By phantomzxro

I can understand that a good amount of people may not like the game and that it is very QTE heavy which i won't lie it is but i found it fun. It was just over the top fun and i can get down with that. But if the whole game is like that i would say its a fun rent if your not put off by QTEs. If there is more beat em up action in between these huge boss fight than i'm game. Makes me think of a cross of no more heroes and Naruto ultimate ninja storm.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Branthog

@SpencerTucksen said:

@SuperWristBands said:

@Branthog said:

I like how it looks as well. And how can people judge an entire game and say "Fuck this" because two boss battles had a ton of QTEs. Again, I reference God of War wear the only real progress in those fights was in QTEs. For all we know, the rest of the game will be awesome. And honestly, I don't hate Quick-Time Events. They're not as tiring as bouncing around all over the place hitting Hades 100 times before anything happens. This game just cuts more of the repetition out of a boss battle, as far as we know.

The only thing I've really seen of the game is a giant anime dude with spikey white anime hair. It lost my attention right about there. I'm sure it'll find some sort of an audience. Hell, those Naruto things find an audience. It just isn't for me. It really seriously turns me off, to the point that I don't really care what the gameplay is like.

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jjnen

@Branthog said:

The only thing I've really seen of the game is a giant anime dude with spikey white anime hair. It lost my attention right about there. I'm sure it'll find some sort of an audience. Hell, those Naruto things find an audience. It just isn't for me. It really seriously turns me off, to the point that I don't really care what the gameplay is like.

I hear you, it's like when I see black people in trailers.

Seriously though I enjoy the insanity that has been happening in the trailers even though most of the time crazy anime stuff doesn't intrest me. After playing the demo I can say that gameplay isn't strongest part of the game. It's the spectacle, everything is so crazy that I can't stop watching (and "playing") the QTE's. It probably won't turn out to be worth the full price but let's see what the reviews will say - I promise I'll be getting it at least from the bargain basket.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JJOR64

The battles reminded of the ridiculousness of Dragon Ball Z. The demo was alright. Going to see reviews for this one before I decide to get it or not.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SlightConfuse

its the crazy love child of heavy rain and bayonetta. I enjoyed everything right until you cut the earth in half with a giant sword.

THe QTE did not bother me but they could get over bearing but the action on screen was amazing.

Also the music was really good

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By damswedon

@slightconfuse said:

Also the music was really good

Except for the part where it is way to quiet and doesn't really gel with the scenes. Wait scrap that all the audio in the demo is way to quiet for what is going on.

When a game has as few systems that this has for something like the audio to be off is really bad. In theory these scenes are fucking insane but while I played it they seemed tame.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By 71Ranchero

It was fun. Games used to be about fun.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Freshbandito

ehh, I enjoyed it, I think some of you are just upset it isn't bayonetta or god of war. It was like an interactive show and i found the QTE's as enjoyable as I found God of War's combat, and in the way that light light heavy for the hundredth time gets boring the qte's weren't my focus so I instead went along for the crazy ride and enjoyed the crazy japanesey dragon ball action, which is normally something I don't like.

EgoPoisoning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By EgoPoisoning

I was pretty thrilled for this game, but the demo was -not- what I was expecting. For some reason...and it could just be how Japanese-ass the game design seemed to be...I was expecting something like Insane Dynasty Warriors and You Have Six Arms.

The constant QTE/movie system they actually made (at least as shown in the demo) is certainly different, and I genuinely couldn't say if I love it or not. I'll probably give it a rental at the very least; it has a certain Saints Row the Third appeal.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Huh, now I know why they never showed off gameplay in the trailers...it's because there isn't any goddamn gameplay. I have zero desire to play a CG fmv game.

CornishRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By CornishRocker

Press A to win.

WiqidBritt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By WiqidBritt

it sounds weird, but this seems to be Japan's answer to God of War (weird because GoW was kind of the American response to Japanese action games) in the sense of the main character's chief power/personality trait is sheer unadulterated rage against the gods, and fights against absolutely enormous bosses (or a boss that can plunge his sword all the way through the earth).

my hope is that the QTE stuff is really only for the boss fights, I don't mind them there, but when (if) I'm fighting through armies of drones I want to have the freedom to attack with whatever I want to attack with, and it seems like they'll let you do that... that is if they give you situations where you're fighting hordes of faceless drones to begin with.

aside from that, I'm digging the art style and I like the music... the demo has increased my interest in the game, so... mission successful I guess.

WiqidBritt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By WiqidBritt

@Dallas_Raines said:

Huh, now I know why they never showed off gameplay in the trailers...it's because there isn't any goddamn gameplay. I have zero desire to play a CG fmv game.

because an entire game is represented by two boss fights.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SpencerTucksen
    @WiqidBritt said:

@Dallas_Raines said:

because an entire game is represented by two boss fights.

Exactly the same for me. I'd rather watch a bad ass interactive cut-scene-esque boss fight than just keep hitting a guy a bunch of times and then a normal cut-scene appears. This way, there's some progressive shit going on almost constantly. And if you see my other comments on the first page, I felt exactly the same. Feels like Japan's answer to God of War and that people need to give it a chance. It's too boss fights. All of God of War's boss fights are heavy on QTE's and I don't see EVERYONE bitching about that. I'm not saying it'll be the next big thing, but it's got a damn good chance at being a serviceable game.
    Avatar image for kamikazecaterpillar
    KamikazeCaterpillar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just played the demo and it is a strange game. I like strange games.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Why would you release a demo of QTE sequences, if QTEs weren't the main focus of the game? Asura's Wrath is an FMV game, you should just come to terms with that fact and stop comparing it to God of War.

Geurge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Geurge

Completely going to pass on it. QTE after QTE.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By The_Ruiner

Not interested in only playing QTE's. Part of me feels like this game only exists so Capcom will have a new DLC character for MvC3.....

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#39  Edited By Catolf
    @Atramentous said:

@phantomzxro said:

I can understand that a good amount of people may not like the game and that it is very QTE heavy which i won't lie it is but i found it fun. It was just over the top fun and i can get down with that. But if the whole game is like that i would say its a fun rent if your not put off by QTEs. If there is more beat em up action in between these huge boss fight than i'm game. Makes me think of a cross of no more heroes and Naruto ultimate ninja storm.

These posts right here.

I had a lot of fun with the demo, a LOT of stupid fun.. and I like fun, so, there.
    Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Quarters

*shrug* The demo made me laugh, I enjoyed it, and had some stupid fun. It was like Dragonball Z turned to a thousand, and I liked the fact that it's actually set up like an anime with the commercial cutaways in the middle. I hadn't even looked at the game before, but after the demo, I've gotta rent it at some point. Should be a good weekender. Reminds me of Ninja Blade, which I also adored.

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#41  Edited By Liquidus

It looks fantastic but beyond that not really interested in playing a game where it's all quick time events or every boss battle is nothing more than a quick time event.

PolyesterKyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PolyesterKyle

@Quarters said:

*shrug* The demo made me laugh, I enjoyed it, and had some stupid fun. It was like Dragonball Z turned to a thousand, and I liked the fact that it's actually set up like an anime with the commercial cutaways in the middle. I hadn't even looked at the game before, but after the demo, I've gotta rent it at some point. Should be a good weekender. Reminds me of Ninja Blade, which I also adored.

That's exactly what I thought. Everything from the character design to the action to the dialogue was just batshit insane. It's actually pretty exhausting reading comment after comment just dogging on this game. It might not be your artistic soul searching experience of a lifetime but it certainly isn't "complete shit". It doesn't really deserve all this harsh ass criticism it's getting so far.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SpencerTucksen

I feel the exact same way you guys do. I think it'll make a more than serviceable game. I guess it'll be the Saboteur of its game-style. A game that missed on some thing and everyone either loved or hated. I enjoyed Saboteur because of its moderately original story. This, I think I will enjoy for its swagger. Dude goes all beast mode when he gets angry and crazy shit happens. It'll probably about an 8 for me in the end, but I would love to play the final game.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SpencerTucksen
    @Dallas_Raines said:

Why would you release a demo of QTE sequences, if QTEs weren't the main focus of the game? Asura's Wrath is an FMV game, you should just come to terms with that fact and stop comparing it to God of War.

I don't mind the FMV style it had going. And they were two boss battles. You can't base an entire game off of the boss fights. 

@Catolf said:
    @Atramentous said:

@phantomzxro said:

These posts right here.  I had a lot of fun with the demo, a LOT of stupid fun.. and I like fun, so, there.
    I liked the absurdity to it. The action is so fast-paced, crazy, and hectic that I found it quite enjoyable.
    Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I just played it, it seems less a game an more interactive insanity. I enjoyed the hell out of it though, definitely looking forward to at least renting it when it comes out.

Avatar image for spawnhellraiser
    SpawnHellraiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SpawnHellraiser

I didn't like much of the QTE's either, but i still had fun with it. Will definitely wait until it gets to $20 or $30. And to think I had this on pre-order. :-(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.