Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Asura's Wrath

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 21, 2012

Asura's Wrath is an interactive anime action title that tells the tale of violent demigod Asura on a quest for vengeance against the cabal of gods that betrayed him.

Asura's Wrath Worth the Money?

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By gearhead

So I heard this game is batshit insane and is a must play. Is it worth sixty dollars from Amazon, or even forty used? Or should I just wait till it drops in price.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#2  Edited By Kidavenger

I've been waiting and thought that it would have dropped by now. $29.99 is my price for it and I can wait.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TentPole

I think it is great game and worth every cent.

But if you are a firm believer in using dollars-to-hour ratios in your assessment of a games worth then you should probably wait.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Phatmac

Rent it or wait for it to get cheaper. I'm renting this weekend so we'll see.

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By jjnen  Online

Didn't Ryan say that "it's not worth full price but you should play it" on the podcast?

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By killacam
    @Kidavenger said:

I've been waiting and thought that it would have dropped by now. $29.99 is my price for it and I can wait.

word.
    no one buy this so those fat cats upstairs drop the price!

but in all seriousness, if i had enough money i would totally buy it. i don't care about any dollar-to-time ratio; i'll take quality over quantity any day. and asura's wrath has what it takes to push my buttons, baby. but this is a clear contender for a price drop so...
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I absolutely loved the game to bits and didn' feel the least bit slighted for purchasing it at full price AND getting all the DLC that's come out so far, HOWEVER I can't honestly suggest dishing out the full $67 bucks (You're GONNA WANT that act IV. Crave it even!) for it. The game is bound to drop down to 40 around now, which I could say is fair enough. That game has just too much goddamn awesomeness crammed into every second of it.

BURST!

MadLeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MadLeper

Well, after the podcast I broke down and paid full retail for it (last one I could find at the usual stores). I'm really enjoying it but at the full $60 it's not quite worth the price.

I think $40 would be the sweet spot for me. Wonder if this will find it's way into the PS3 Platinum line, would be a great value at that price.

As well, for a game with such simple game mechanics it's playing hell with my thumbs and posture. After playing three back to back episodes I have to stop and stretch my back and hands lest I end up a cripple.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By YI_Orange

Yes, but no. I would wait for a price drop then get it. Don't get it used, this brand of crazy needs to be supported. That is, unless you're willing to pay the full 60 dollars.

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TooSweet

I've been waiting on the price drop since day one. I'm willing to go between $30 and $40 brand new.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BraveToaster

I'm thoroughly enjoying it so go far. I've just completed Episode 14, so I assume that I'm almost finished. I don't think that'll I'll get any of the DLC, though.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By mesklinite

Rent or buy cheap. Remember the ending is 7 extra. But the game is worth playing.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its $40 new at a best buy in vancouver

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Masha2932

Wait for a price drop. That way you can buy the DLC as well. Wait even more and maybe capcom will release a complete edition.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#15  Edited By Hailinel

I bought it for $50 when it was new through Amazon (don't know where the $10 discount came from). That game is worth every goddamn penny.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Brendan

I would rent it but I no longer have any options for renting games in my area, which majorly sucks. I`ll get it when it`s 20-30$.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By louiedog

Capcom published it. Wait 9 months for when they release a new version priced at $40 with all of the DLC and exclusive stuff unavailable to the people who bought it early and made that second edition possible.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By ajamafalous
    @TooSweet said:

I've been waiting on the price drop since day one. I'm willing to go between $30 and $40 brand new.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#19  Edited By fox01313

Best thing is probably what I'm doing which is just renting it & buying the DLC, as much as want to support developers of batshit crazy games so they are encouraged to make more by seeing the profits roll in, when it's like this game it's hard to justify the cost of buying it versus the entertainment value. You could always find friends nearby & split the cost then trade the game in after everyone has played it through.

kedi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kedi2

I'm seriously surprised this hasn't dropped in price yet. I'm still waiting for it to get to either $30 or $40.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TentPole

I think you guys should pick it up why it is still available at all. I think this is one of those games that is just going to get rarer, not cheaper.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cannonballbam

@Gearhead: Yes, buy the game and DLC. It is worth it.

Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By Yadilie

Just a little bump for those who arn't informed. Go to your local Target and maybe Best Buy because Asura's Wrath is 30 dollars there. Should be a country wide sale for Target. I finally picked it up today for a little cheaper than 30 thanks to working for Target and god damn this game is great.

Robot_Moses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Robot_Moses

Depends on what $60 is to you. I rented the game and beat it in one go; it only took me 4-5 hours to finish but it was a completely crazy, balls to the wall experience. The replay value is kinda low also, unless you plan to shell out for the DLC (which I wholeheartedly recommend). Still, having played it and thoroughly enjoyed it, I cannot say it would be worth the full asking price to me with my current college student finances. If you can't rent or borrow it, $25 is the highest price I can recommend it for. Do find some way to play it though, it's great

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By ahgunsillyo
    @Yadilie

Just a little bump for those who arn't informed. Go to your local Target and maybe Best Buy because Asura's Wrath is 30 dollars there. Should be a country wide sale for Target. I finally picked it up today for a little cheaper than 30 thanks to working for Target and god damn this game is great.

This is true. For everybody who've been waiting for the game to drop down to around $30, go to Target sometime in the next week and a half or so, because there's a Temporary Price Drop on it for $29.99. Hopefully, they'll still have copies when you go.
    Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By Yadilie

It's until the 2nd. Just to clarify that.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By Silver-Streak

After having done it myself, I will say no. It may be the best rental ever.

I actually signed up for the month trial of Gamefly for $6 to get it. I actually got it 2 days after signing up and putting it on my list. I'm (as I type this) playing the ending DLC. So it is definitely worth $14 ($7 for the gamefly trial, 7 for the DLC)

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By BBAlpert

@fox01313 said:

Best thing is probably what I'm doing which is just renting it & buying the DLC, as much as want to support developers of batshit crazy games so they are encouraged to make more by seeing the profits roll in, when it's like this game it's hard to justify the cost of buying it versus the entertainment value. You could always find friends nearby & split the cost then trade the game in after everyone has played it through.

That's what I did. I started the game main game yesterday afternoon and already beat it. Something that worries me a bit is that ironically, maybe Capcom will see the sales-to-rentals ratio as a justification for the ending-as-DLC stuff rather than as a sign that consumers don't want to pay $60 for a 2-3 hour game only to put $7 more in to finish it. Capcom might see the high rental numbers as "Since everyone just rented the game or bought it used, the revenue from DLC is more important than ever!"

Phoenix778m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Phoenix778m

Just picked it up at gamestop for $40 New.

FrenchClub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FrenchClub

I don't know if anyone will see this but Asura's Wrath is ~$25 on Amazon right now for both the PS3 and 360. My wait is over.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By sweetz

I paid $50 for it and just finished (base game, no DLC) it last night.

I would say yes worth it - except I'm pretty disappointed with the technical quality of the PS3 version. There's significant and noticeable tearing throughout and a few later parts of the game have some pretty big framerate slowdowns. For that reason I wish I had paid less than $30 for it - I abhor tearing and the PS3 version is rife with it. If I had a 360 (because that version is not so troubled as I understand it) or if they made a PC version (would never happen of course, but man can I dream about playing it in 1080p 60fps...) I would have no qualms spending $50 on it.

Being a game that one would assume is pretty heavily targeted for a Japanese audience, I would have thought they would make the PS3 version a priority - but I guess difficulties with the UE3 engine on PS3 were still too much to overcome.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I decided to put this in over the weekend (have had it brand new on my backlog for a while) and play through it, and I must say, it was amazing. The craziness that I was led to expect was there and more, however I really found myself enjoying the combat parts, and even the QTE parts during the story. And the story I thought was really, really cool and pretty original, the graphic style was awesome, the VA was good, and as simple as they were, the 3rd person combat parts were really enjoyable. I'm very glad I got this and the DLC for the final chapter, and I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a unique experience. Also, Burstin all the time!

I also really hope they make a 2nd one, the very end paints a really interesting scenario that could be an awesome 2nd game, though I don't really expect it to happen :(

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#35  Edited By Lazyaza

It's worth every cent. Crazy it's so hard to find for cheap even now.

kyelb22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By kyelb22

@Kidavenger said:

I actually just bought this for $20 from Amazon on sale last week.

Only played the first couple chapters; Borderlands 2 is taking up all of my time.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#37  Edited By musubi

I'm waiting for the $20 mark myself considering the DLC situation for the game where the real ending is straight up DLC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.