Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Atari

Company »

Atari, Inc. was a video game and home computer company founded in 1972 by Ted Dabney and Nolan Bushnell. It is considered by most to be responsible for the birth of the video games industry as a whole, introducing video games in the home and arcades.

Atari are making a new console, are you interested?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Edited By BeachThunder

Poll Atari are making a new console, are you interested? (109 votes)

Yeah 0%
    Maybe? 23%
    Nah 77%

They still haven't actually explained what the console will be, but apparently they're making something that will appeal to "both old and new fans of Atari”.

Maybe something like an Atari NES Classic? Maybe an Ouya 2.0? Maybe just a machine dedicated to playing Rollercoaster Tycoon 2? I find it hard to imagine it being designed to compete with a PS4 or even a Switch...

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/RAbWCYqTnPFUICvwO-ADmB4Uz08=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/8863273/ataribox4.jpg

• 
    Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Only if it's got Venetian Blinds.

But for real, more info needed. If it just ends up being a relatively cheap NES classic like thing, sure, why not.

BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm more concerned over how they got my email address to tell me about it.

TopCat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

I'm always open to more consoles and more choice. Whatever this becomes, at the moment it is all potential and speculation. I'm always a maybe with news like this. I won't dismiss it until more is known.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#4  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I probably would've been interested about 4-5 years ago when they were still releasing interesting stuff. They published Star Trek Online back then, owned a bunch of classic IP's and did some decent but expensive rereleases on stuff like Game Room.

Everything they've done in the last two or three years have been really blatantly low effort money grabs. I have no faith in them even pulling off a NES Classic style system. The state of their early access releases on Steam and their mobile games doesn't exactly inspire confidence in them putting any effort into making the emulators of whatever system they'll be rereleasing perform well or authentic to the original hardware.

Personally I'd also be way more interested in them rereleasing their old home computer games (400/800/XE/ST or the goddamn Falcon) than Atari 2600/5200 (or Jaguar) stuff.

EDIT: On the note of the Falcon. I wonder if they're making any money on the Xbox One X? It looks like it's based on the Falcon 030 design which Sony also used for the PlayStation 2, and I'm pretty sure Sony actually paid Atari to license that design.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact that they are showing this thing but not actually saying what it is makes me think it is either a Coleco Chamelon-like scam or just something wholly unexciting like yet another 2600 clone console.

Atari hasn't done anything interesting in years and, frankly, its old games are so old that most of them are rudimentary and kind of unplayable.

Atari is just a holding company anyway at this point, seeking to profit off a brand name with some cachet.

I just can't imagine that this thing is going to be any good. If they had a good idea and were planning on executing on it at a high level they would explain what it is.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're coming back in a big way, Blade Runner is a good indication, ha ha.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OurSin_360

Nah, atari was just a bit before my time really so i have little nastalgia, if it's going to try and compete with big consoles i don't see the point as I use my pc mostly anyway, and an android console is pretty pointless IMO.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If it comes with the Atari 520ST power pack built in I might bite when its cheap.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0 said:

Everything they've done in the last two or three years have been really blatantly low effort money grabs.

Suddenly I'm remembering that last round of games they tried to make.

Haunted House: Cryptic Graves - Which got pulled from steam/digital stores maybe a couple months after release do to the overwhelmingly negative response to it
    Alone in the Dark: Illumination - A generic L4D like co-op shooter that got overwhelmingly negative reviews
    Asteriods: Outposts - An early access survival game that was abandoned and unplayable, it looks like at some point it finally got removed from the steam store

Yeeesssh

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@panfoot said:
    @fisk0 said:

Everything they've done in the last two or three years have been really blatantly low effort money grabs.

Suddenly I'm remembering that last round of games they tried to make.

Haunted House: Cryptic Graves - Which got pulled from steam/digital stores maybe a couple months after release do to the overwhelmingly negative response to it

Alone in the Dark: Illumination - A generic L4D like co-op shooter that got overwhelmingly negative reviews

Asteriods: Outposts - An early access survival game that was abandoned and unplayable, it looks like at some point it finally got removed from the steam store

Yeeesssh

You are, if anything, overrating these games. Alone in the Dark illumination was not a Left 4 Dead-like. It was a generic horde mode piece of garbage just above the level of the worst Steam has to offer. It was famous for being a game called Alone in the Dark where you were neither Alone nor in the Dark (since there was an Alan Wake style, except terribly executed, mechanic about using light to weaken enemies before killing them.) Asteroids: Outposts wasn't just unplayable it was totally devoid of content and frankly kind of shocking.

When you think of a name publisher putting out a crappy broken title you think of something like Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, a very bad game with a lot of problems. Sonic Boom is many, many, levels of quality above these Atari games. In comparison to these games Sonic Boom is at Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild levels of quality and scope. I think Sonic Boom's musical score probably cost more to develop then all three of these games combined.

These were trash games whose only redeeming value was that they had some semi-professional art assets. Any company willing to put them out lacks both the funding and the commitment to quality to put out useful hardware.

Though maybe it's not the same company? The Atari trademark is split up and passed around at this point so who knows if it's even the same people.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks nice, I'll give em that.

Avatar image for reasonablesteve
    reasonablesteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Near as I can tell, Atari and the developer of Asteroids: Outpost have made exactly zero statements of any kind on what happened to that game, and that game and this console both strike me as some kind of scam, like the Peachy Printer or that Coleco Chameleon business.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I mean is Atari even Atari in any meaningful way other than the name at this point?

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No, especially because they're crowd funding it. Fuck off, Atari.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.