Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Atlus U.S.A., Inc.

Company »

The American subsidiary of Atlus primarily localizes and/or publishes games for the North American market.

Atlus's CEO stepping down

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 27

#1  Edited By metalsnakezero

Shinichi Suzuki, President and CEO of the American Branch, will be leaving his position after 20 years. He'll be replace by Naoto Hiraoka (The ace detective :D) who will help

"bring both the Japanese and North American divisions closer together with a focus on localization."

Mr. Suzuki has helped the company in many ways and it sad to see him go. However, Mr. Hiraoka vision for Atlus is promising and shows that Atlus will remain strong.

http://www.thegamerscene.com/2012/08/shinichi-suzuki-steps-down-as-atlus-head-naoto-hiraoka-appointed-for-president-and-ceo/

http://www.news10.net/entertainment/gameguys/article/203326/99/Atlus-names-new-President-and-CEO

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

That's what happens when you region lock.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Bocam

Atlus USA has been around for 20 years?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Bocam: Established in 1991, according to Wikipedia.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel
    @FluxWaveZ

Don't be an ass. The region lock wasn't Atlus USA's decision.
    bigchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By bigchief

Don'tfuckitupdon'tfuckitupdon'tfuckitupdon'tfuckitupdon'tfuckitupdon'tfuckitupdon'tfuckitupdon'tfuckitupdon'tfuckitup.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Hailinel said:

@FluxWaveZ

Uh... I kinda know that? Just making a facetious comment relating to localization because of Mr. Hiraoka's statement is all.

Sorry for touching a sensitive spot or something.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Ravenlight

As someone not really familiar with the workings of Atlus, does this change of leadership signify a change in direction or is this just a boring change of who gets the biggest paycheck?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bocam

@FluxWaveZ: Didn't you import the Japanese version of P4A? How'd that work out for you?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hailinel
    @FluxWaveZ

@Hailinel said:

@FluxWaveZ

Uh... I kinda know that? Just making a facetious comment relating to localization because of Mr. Hiraoka's statement is all.

Taking pot shots at people for decisions you don't like when they had nothing to do with those decisions is inconsiderate. It's not a sore spot. It's common decency.
    Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Phatmac

Well at least he stepped down. It would be bizarre for someone to get fired before a game that is launching so soon.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Bocam said:

I'm surprised to be honest.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Bocam said:

@FluxWaveZ: Didn't you import the Japanese version of P4A? How'd that work out for you?

Oh, just fantastic, thanks. Received it on July 25th.

No Caption Provided

Wasn't expecting it to work with my PS3, but I found out that I get obsessed with things that I'm very attached to, so I couldn't not try it. Inserted the disc and got some garbage about it being region locked, so I just sat at the menu screen pressing "X" for a about 5 minutes.

Then I considered acquiring a Japanese PS3 to play it, but the cheapest ones they had on Play-Asia were 220V Asian ones, so I'd need to get a 220V - 110V converter as well as some other stuff to get it to work.

So yeah, fantastic.

@Hailinel said:

Taking pot shots at people for decisions you don't like when they had nothing to do with those decisions is inconsiderate. It's not a sore spot. It's common decency.

...Huh? I think you're a bit too invested in the game's region locking, because you're seeing things that aren't there. Calm down, dude. I was just saying that an increased focus on bringing both the Japanese and NA divisions of Atlus closer is what happens because of the region lock. As a joke. You're taking this far too seriously.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By kindgineer

@Hailinel said:

@FluxWaveZ

@Hailinel said:

@FluxWaveZ

I think it's more that people forget that intended "wittiness" is often taken as offense. It's a perfect moment for one of the gold rule quotes:

"If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all."

RELATED NOTE! I'm looking forward to seeing what this change does to Atlus.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bocam

@Cloudenvy said:

@Bocam said:

It made me feel really old. It's almost as shocking as finding out that Shaft has been around for almost 40 years.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@ck1nd: I didn't think that my comment would be taken so seriously. Sorry, then. I personally don't care that much about the region lock, but I guess I should have thought some people are still sour about it before posting that comment.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Bocam said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@Bocam said:

It made me feel really old. It's almost as shocking as finding out that Shaft has been around for almost 40 years.

Oh god, I wish you hadn't told me that. Jebus.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kindgineer

@FluxWaveZ: I, honestly, had no idea a region lock had been put into place I was merely trying to represent a common misinterpretation that happens on the internet. It really has nothing to do with singling you out, but really trying to broaden responsibility that seems to be lacking on the internet. I can't see your snarky grin as you typed that phrase or I would've smiled right back and understood the meaning behind the words.

So, in all intents and purposes to the naked eye, you just opened up an old wound and offended someone (I not being of that party). Then again, you could always brush it off and understand that you cannot please everyone.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bocam

@FluxWaveZ: I'd offer to buy it off you but I just got my Japanese copy (I wonder if the Asian version is region locked.). But hey you got that cool soundtrack CD artwork that isn't going to be in the American version.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By Karkarov

@Phatmac said:

Well at least he stepped down. It would be bizarre for someone to get fired before a game that is launching so soon.

I doubt it was anything other than voluntary. Suzuki was there for alot of decisions that caused Atlus as a whole to be profitable. For example in 2009 Atlus NA distributed Demon's Souls, the game which single handedly saved Atlus from losing money that year, and I don't mean just the US office. It is also their highest selling title they have ever distributed save maybe Catherine at this point.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By FLStyle

I've been nothing but impressed with Atlus USA since the Persona 4 Endurance Run. Good luck to him in whatever he chooses to do next.

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By smcn
    "bring both the Japanese and North American divisions closer together with a focus on localization."

So, Persona 5 simultaneous release?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Bocam: Ha, well thanks for the sentiment, although I did manage to sell it eventually so it was all good. Except for losing about $40 in total, but that's what I get. Wasn't expecting it to come with the Arrange Soundtrack, though, but I'll end up with two of them next week, so that's okay (except they won't be the Japanese cover, like you stated).

I know the Japanese version works on Asian consoles, but not sure about the opposite (if there even are Asian specific versions?). My guess would be yes.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By Animasta

@smcn said:

P4A has just as much story content as a hypothetical persona 5, and it's only a 2 week delay, so it's entirely possible.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By metalsnakezero

@Animasta said:

@smcn said:

P4A has just as much story content as a hypothetical persona 5, and it's only a 2 week delay, so it's entirely possible.

That is a possibility. Atlus USA has been able to get it licences a lot fast after Index brought them in and help with their structure.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26  Edited By Cincaid

Now all they need to do is to open a fucking Atlus EU office.

:'(

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By Dagbiker

I really hope this doesn't mean that Atlus USA will be held down. I liked the localization of Persona 4, and Persona 3. I cant read Japanese, and have never played those games in their original language. But I always felt they pushed the envelope, especially with Teddy.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By metalsnakezero

@Dagbiker: No, see Mr. Hiraoka, the new CEO, will push hard for localization. Meaning probably faster release out side of Japan. It benefits all.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#29  Edited By RE_Player1

Hopefully Atlus continues to be great.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hailinel

@metalsnakezero said:

@Dagbiker: No, see Mr. Hiraoka, the new CEO, will push hard for localization. Meaning probably faster release out side of Japan. It benefits all.

Yeah. Atlus Japan knows how important the USA office is to their operation outside of their home country. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, it was Atlus USA's acquisition of the North American release rights to Demon's Souls and their subsequent handling of the release that pushed their finances into the black in 2009. The one area where the U.S. office could improve is the speed with which localizations are handled.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.