Follow

Attack on Titan

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 18, 2016

Described as a "reverse Warriors game" by developer Koei Tecmo, this game based on the 2013 anime of the same name features legions of fighters battling the eponymous gigantic invaders, or the other way around.

Uh... Is this good?

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Watched the first 5 minutes of the QL and it actually looks... kinda... good?

Does this game have any depth? Something like equipment customization or character progression?

About me: watched all of Attack on Titan and loved it. Wary of Dynasty Warrior games. Loved the early Armored Core games.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Haven't played it, though I'm also curious about this game. If I had to guess based the concepts of 'anime game' and 'Dynasty Warriors', I'd expect something along the lines of a Senran Kagura Shinovi/Estival Versus or a Dragon Ball Xenoverse where they're more on the shallow side as most of the enjoyment comes from the action 'kill everything' gameplay and the respective source materials. But I did notice that you gain experience with each character that you play as, so I imagine that there's some loot and customization system in there somewhere. It looks mindlessly entertaining overall.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Maybe watch the rest of the Quick Look?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@mike said:

Maybe watch the rest of the Quick Look?

Good advice. It looks very repetitive. Which could be just fine for you, but I think that needs to be known. In a lot of ways it is really similar to Dynasty Warriors except that the moment to moment gameplay is different.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Seems like a decent anime game for fans of the anime. If the price goes down i will give it a look on pc, seems like a little more than a cash in but not sure how much.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've queued this in Gamefly, which goes to say that my opinion is that it's not worth buying without trying.

I'm hoping for that Devil May Cry / Bayonetta kind of progression, where as you improve you become untouchable and super-cool. If the flight/rappel stuff is solid and strategic (and reliable) I know I'll have lots of mindless fun in this game.

What actually made me pull the trigger was the multiplayer stuff they scratched toward the end of the video. Kinda had a Helldivers/Planetside feel, where there's like a 'global' campaign and everyone's just out chipping away at the objective by playing multiplayer. I'm into multiplayer carrot-on-a-stick stuff like that.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

It seems like the type of game where if there is a steam sale I would grab it if its like $10 or lower.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One day when it's on sale I think it'll be worth a purchase. For now I think $60 is too much.

RK92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't look fantastic.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

It seems like the type of game where if there is a steam sale I would grab it if its like $10 or lower.

If Dragon Quest Heroes was any indication, that might be a while. I believe that game still has its $60 price tag and if memory serves, generally got very small discounts (or no discounts at all) during Steam sales. On the other hand, I thinkOne Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 and Arslan: The Warriors of Legend got decent sale prices, so DQH may be an exception for Omega Force licensed games.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Does the gameplay ever change? Do you play as a Titan? Or is it kinda the same thing all the way through?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bbalpert: I think that is more of a square thing( i believe dragon quest is still square enix property right?) at least when it comes to any of their Jrpg titles. They still over charge for final fantasy games that came out 20+ years ago. However their western games seem to get discounts pretty quickly, tomb raider type games.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@oursin_360: I hadn't considered that aspect. You're probably right.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb said:

Does the gameplay ever change? Do you play as a Titan? Or is it kinda the same thing all the way through?

Yes for about 2 or 3 very short missions. Probably about 20-30 minute total.

dstopia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb said:

The game is very repetitive, and you do get to play as a Titan, but the core combat is SO GOOD. Unfortunately it starts wearing thin and as soon as the game is starting to overstay its welcome, it then unveils a Monster Hunter-esque side quest system and hides an entire epilogue behind that, so that got me quite upset.

I don't really know what to think of this game. I can't remember a game that has so nailed a mechanic that sounds almost impossible to achieve in a videogame, but they did it, and it feels amazing. But that's all the game is, basically.

It is, however, by default, much much better than any Dynasty Warriors game, that's for sure.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That depends. Do you like giant naked men?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By jakob187

If you like Musou games, then it's absolutely incredible and builds on those in some pretty great ways. The opponents get pretty tough and unforgiving eventually (especially Annie, like...HOLY CRAP she can be annoying, but Armin is kind of broken against her because of his leadership capabilities).

The movement feels great, targeting is easy, and the gear customization plus finite resources (like fuel, blade durability, etc) definitely make you think about how you prep for an upcoming mission.

However, if you don't like Musou games, it's probably not gonna be up your alley.

Also, I'm curious what difficulty people are playing the game on. Musou games are never any fun on the default setting. It's not until you get to the higher levels that you see how all of the systems are truly meaningful. I know that's a bullshit excuse for a lot of people, but it's just the way Musou games go.

However, in Attack on Titan, it's MASSIVELY important. The higher difficulties change how many of each particular type of titan shows up in missions, how far away they can see, and their speed...and the increases are hefty! As an example:

• Lowest difficulty lets Titans see about 110 feet away, while Abnormal lets them see 140 feet away. This matters a ton when you have co-op AI helping you out.
    • Abnormal does not have any kind of normal or abnormal Titans - there are only Jumpers, Punks, and Crawlers, so it's no easy times.
    • Titan speed on Abnormal is twice as fast as the lowest difficulty.
    chupachong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've enjoyed it thoroughly but I wouldn't try to play it straight through in a couple of days. I got more out of it just playing 2-3 hours or so while listening to a podcast or two so that the combat didn't get too repetitive. It definitely bodes well for a sequel if they can expand on the missions and Titan gameplay. I do however hope that the dudes working on the new Spider-man game take a look at the movement of the omni-directional gear and take something away from that to help Spideys web-slinging.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.