Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Austin Walker

Person » credited in 2 games

Host of Waypoint Radio & Friends at the Table, former Editor-in-Chief of Waypoint, former editor at Giant Bomb, PhD Candidate in Media Studies at the University of Western Ontario. Austin Walker writes about games, culture, and relationships between play and labor.

Q: What's good, Internet? A: Austin and Patrick's Podcast

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By monkeyking1969

Anyone else listening to Austin and Patrick's podcast? Their podcast has matured over the past few months at the 'bunker', and it is EXACTLY as good as you would think.

As time goes on, I have less and less patience sand less and less time for all the podcasts I want to hear. But, I have to say the Vice Gaming Podcast is excellent, and it sounds like they are having fun with it. In fact, Vice Gaming is getting good enough that I have started reading more 'other articles' on the Vice site itself; which I think says a lot for how good Austin is in his role.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

It's great to hear Patrick and Austin again and it feels very much like a GB style podcast. Waypoint itself is keeps looking better and better the more I hear about what they're envisioning for the site. I can't wait for the stream tomorrow!

AngryHobo321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've been a fan of vice since they started programming on HBO, and I have to say that Waypoint (vice gaming's new name) and the podcast they put out are a perfect pairing to the bomb and beast casts. Where goingbomb is fun, Waypoint can be thoughtful. I think Austin leaving gb was great for all of us because Austin can do his smart guy thing for a whole podcast.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Looking forward to it going live on Twitch twice weekly.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really dislike Vice, so it's a pass from me. Motherboard is the worst.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it so far, but I am excited for more guests/hosts. They are both very thoughtful, articulate dudes, and they [appear to] think and [definitely] articulate themselves in very similar ways. I haven't listened very far yet (finishing epi 3), but I also want to hear em loosen up and joke around more! They're funny dudes, Austin especially, and with just the two of them and a stilted delay caused by the couple hundred miles between them, there's no room for tangents yet. I like it, I'm certain it will only get better, and I'm very happy to be hearing their voices again!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

It's an alright podcast! I think Austin and Patrick are still figuring out their dynamic and the flow of the podcast, but I'm interested in seeing where it goes from here. I'm not quite sold on Waypoint as a whole yet, but I'll definitely tune in to their 72 hour stream.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By EthanielRain

I'm not sure what the word I'm looking for is, but both Patrick and Austin have that same kind of style/thinking...it was a nice offset to Jeff/Ryan/Vinny, but just them two together might be a bit of an overload for me. But I'll give it a try, thanks for the link.

Hamborgini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been enjoying it. The Bomb- and Beastcasts have spoiled me a bit, though. The shorter episodes of the Waypoint podcast feel a little too short. It feels like they barely have time to talk in-depth about anything, let alone go off on any interesting tangents.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just wish it was longer. Often feels very rushed.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I enjoyed Patrick and Austin's work a lot when they were at GB. I also enjoyed Danielle when she was on Idle Thumbs, the weekend podcast, and was thrilled to see her join Waypoint.

Hopefully they do stretch the podcast out a bit. It gets started, and then it's over.

CountPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess Austin saw a Patty-tunity and took it.

Fascismo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Fascismo

I like it a lot so far. It's funny, though, they talk about Giant Bomb/GB staff so much on their podcast that I wonder if it alienates listeners who didn't follow them from here. They made a joke pretty recently about something they could blow out into a premium video series for this site.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

It's weird listening to a podcast that is actually short. I feel like it always ends just as they're really getting into the swing of it.

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Love the podcast so far but I do wish it was a little longer, even an hour long each episode would give it a little more room to breathe. The dynamic between Austin and Patrick is solid and both are really intelligent so I think it will produce some interesting and unique takes on games and stories in the games space.

And considering Patrick isn't in the studio with Austin the conversations have been surprisingly free of awkward pauses and talking over one another. That being said I think them both being in separate locations will always keep this podcast from reaching the heights of other podcasts where all participants are in the studio together and can play off of one another-- frankly I think that's just an impossible hurdle to overcome.

Obviously that won't stop it from being a great podcast though and well worth tuning into each week, which it already is as far as I'm concerned.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By csl316

It's fantastic, I listened to it last week and now it'll be part of my regular rotation. Austin and Patrick have surprisingly great chemistry, and the other crew is pleasant as well.

I hope they maintain the shorter format since it fits in nicely between the behemoth casts here. But if this is the tone of Waypoint, I hope they stick around for a good long time.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I think the podcast is off to a good start and the format seems right with a Monday / Friday show and the question bucket.

My one piece of criticism is Austin still talks too much when he is a host of something. Don't get me wrong, I love Austin to death and he felt perfect out there in the GBeast. But sometimes when he recorded a podcast for Giant Bomb Presents, it felt like he talked way too much, especially when you consider the point is to have a conversation with the interviewee. Sometimes I get that vibe with the Vice Gaming podcast. I just notice stuff like how long it has been since when Patrick last talked about the topic or how Austin would force a conversation to go in a certain direction, like with that random Dishonored 2 themed episode. I hope some of that flow is improved as time goes on, but I still dig the podcast.

Memu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here is my take. Patrick sounds motivated and enthusiastic again, which is great. His Match3 podcast was bad and he seemed to be just going through motions at kutaku. Austin is at his best in front of a mic, so it is good to have him back as well. I am not a fan of Danielle (yeah) Riandeau, but she was fine on just the one episode so far. The other waypoint hires they have had on have been decent as well. I wish they could find something new instead of just following the same old podcast formula, though.

I like their new name "waypoint". It is much better than vice/gaming, which sounds like a gambling site. Still, they spread themselves too thin. They are on facebook and twitch and twitter and itunes and ... Just give me one fucking place to go to get all your output and input, and make it easy to find. Which it is not! Was there even a podcast today? I go to vice/gaming and there isn't one. But it could easily be posted somewhere else. Oh, there is twitch streams going today? Great, but how would I know that? Where is the link?

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I just listened to ep 9 and I'm really digging it.

@memu said:

Here is my take. Patrick sounds motivated and enthusiastic again, which is great. His Match3 podcast was bad and he seemed to be just going through motions at kutaku. Austin is at his best in front of a mic, so it is good to have him back as well. I am not a fan of Danielle (yeah) Riandeau, but she was fine on just the one episode so far. The other waypoint hires they have had on have been decent as well. I wish they could find something new instead of just following the same old podcast formula, though.

I like their new name "waypoint". It is much better than vice/gaming, which sounds like a gambling site. Still, they spread themselves too thin. They are on facebook and twitch and twitter and itunes and ... Just give me one fucking place to go to get all your output and input, and make it easy to find. Which it is not! Was there even a podcast today? I go to vice/gaming and there isn't one. But it could easily be posted somewhere else. Oh, there is twitch streams going today? Great, but how would I know that? Where is the link?

Here is a link to the website proper. It has everything you're talking about duder. You have to click the box thing on the top left side to access the content bar.

I'm embarrassed at how long it took me to find it. I really hope they revise the layout to make it easier to find in the future.
    I'm embarrassed at how long it took me to find it. I really hope they revise the layout to make it easier to find in the future.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

I miss Austin. I miss Patrick. Danielle Riendeau is a staff member now...

NOTHING wrong with this 'cast so far.

owack6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here is a link to the website proper. It has everything you're talking about duder. You have to click the box thing on the top left side to access the content bar.

Did they forget to put in a comment section or is that on purpose?

That is a huge fop pah in my book and kind of tells something about the mindset of the creators...i hope i'm wrong and they add it soon.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

I've been catching every episode of this and I think they've been killing it, honestly. The discussions have all been very thoughtful and I actually like the shorter format. Makes it feel snappy and to the point. Works really well as a supplementary podcast because of it.

I have to echo the concern that this might alienate listeners though... There's a lot of GB talk, way more than I had expected.

s-bot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much my thoughts.

Big fan of Patrick and Austin when they were here and Danielle was really cool on the Beastcast a few weeks back so yeah, I'll give them a chance!

Avatar image for irishalwaystake
    irishalwaystake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, just in case you felt welcome over at Waypoint, you should know that while the GB crew was on stream Austin's staff/friends were repulsed by GB fans in chat for enjoying the stream and were mocking you to their friends on twitter. Good look imo.

owack6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By owack6
    Avatar image for irishalwaystake
    irishalwaystake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By irishalwaystake

@owack6:

http://tinyurl.com/zgown46

You can start here and look for what else there is yourself if you want to, put on a sour note on the stream for me

owack6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owack6:

You can start here and look for what else there is yourself if you want to, put on a sour note on the stream for me

Ye...it somewhat confirms my suspicions that this is not a place i would want to visit in the future.

It's a shame that this is the crowd Patrick and Austin are partly playing to.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mcfart

Haven't listened to the podcast, but surprised that Patrick's the co-star of it. They both seem like analytical fellows that give anything a shot (Dark Souls, anime, etc). While they can have thoughtful conversations, I can imagine them agreeing on -a lot- of things, more then you'd typically see between podcast members. Part of the reason the Beastcast was so good was because Austin/Vinny/Alex all have varying opinions on subjects, and these opinions encourged conversation. Yes, you want to have some agreements (otherwise everything would be an argument), but I think Austin picked someone too similar to himself. What does Patrick bring to the table that Austin himself doesn't really have? Same thing vice-versa...

Some of the best parts of podcasts are disagreements, such as Brad boiling FPSes like BF/COD down to left-trigger/right-trigger and Jeff having an aneurysm over it,

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owack6:

That is a bit disappointing. Chat as far as I've watched it seemed pretty tame. That moderator guy is complaining about how he couldn't ban people because they weren't actually saying anything bad seems to confirm that impression. Bummer, I liked the GB family reunion.

Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

doomguy2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@irishalwaystake: disappointing to hear, but not surprising considering it's vice, always thought of them as ostentatious douchebags, I've been enjoying the podcast regardless though, not concerned with what some comment moderator has to say to their chode friends on twitter

Avatar image for deactivated-58a3c9b2cc154
    deactivated-58a3c9b2cc154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owack6:

He's not wrong.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

Oh wow one guy on twitter said something that offended me and he is tangentially related to Waypoint. BETTER BOYCOTT WAYPOINT\s

Seriously guys chill out. Some guy said something dumb on twitter, just ignore it. People say stupid shit on twitter all the time. There is no use in getting bent out of shape over it.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Repulsed" or frustrated with people in the chat who were repeatedly capsing the names of people in the background of shots while others were actually using the chat to... chat about games etc. "Repulsed" or frustrated with people asking the same questions etc, just like in this very thread, while not even going to the Waypoint site where all this was announced and scheduled etc. "Repulsed" or frustrated with people who have decided this is some evil cabal that must be rallied against via digging up Twitter convos?

If you don't care for Waypoint then that's cool, if you don't enjoy the chat then that's cool, but trying to ferment beef is not a good look.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loving Waypoint, not loving the negativity over here. GB fans CAN be annoying af sometimes.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@irishalwaystake: So a friend of Austin said one mean thing on Twitter, so you're done with Waypoint? You can't be serious...

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure if Austin Walker has ever done a thing I haven't absolutely loved. Him leaving GB was such a loss for this place, but I'm glad he's finding success with Vice and will continue to eagerly consume everything he's involved with.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@s-bot said:
    @undeadpool said:

Pretty much my thoughts.

Big fan of Patrick and Austin when they were here and Danielle was really cool on the Beastcast a few weeks back so yeah, I'll give them a chance!

IF you liked her on the Beastcast: check out Idle Weekend (part of the Idle Thumbs network) where she and Rob Zacny are every week! It's very rambling and a lot more stream-of-consciousness than a lot of gaming podcasts, but I like that, personally.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@irishalwaystake said:

@owack6:

He's not wrong.

As someone who has DEALT with Giant Bomb chat in the past...yeah, I'll echo this.

That was MAYBE the tamest rebuke I've read on the internet. "Annoying as fuck sometimes." OOooooo, what? The entirety of the Giant Bomb chat/community aren't a bunch of golden, flower children 100% of the time?!?! I feel so VERY put-upon and EXCLUDED!

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Shivoa

It's really weird to rally against "internet cliques" and "clique shit" when trying to have a go at the Waypoint stream. Like, this has been the most inclusive and welcoming stream you can imagine. A charming frontman beams out and asks "What's good internet?" and then loads of guests and presenters go through games they love, their history with games, games they clown on, and a mix of those; all over 72 hours of streaming.

Do you like games? Cool, so do all these people at Waypoint and guests. You like sleepovers? Cool, that's what's on tonight and they just did a bit of Tony Hawk: Ride. They are currently playing Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed with a Ride controller! Who are they catering to: all people who want to talk about games and have a good time.

If you're busy trying to paint a beef as if you've not been welcome in that chat and saying that people should avoid Waypoint then you are totally building a clique in your head and desperately looking for enemies to form up against. That's 100% on you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.