Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Austin Walker

Person » credited in 2 games

Host of Waypoint Radio & Friends at the Table, former Editor-in-Chief of Waypoint, former editor at Giant Bomb, PhD Candidate in Media Studies at the University of Western Ontario. Austin Walker writes about games, culture, and relationships between play and labor.

Thank you Austin, and so long.

Baltaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Probably been said multiple times in the thread already but I can't think of a better way to say it. It's a measure of how awesomely talented you are and how cool a person you are that I'm so bummed about this news.

It's not all bad though, looking forward to what you are doing next.

Thank you Austin!

dtk79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Best of luck, Austin, it's been a real joy. I'm stupidly sad that you're going after only a year, but we'll always have Contradiction...

I hope it's not too late to get a 2 hour break for the Beastcast each week written into your contract at your new place?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

...Seriously?? This is the absolute worst news. Austin was one of the best things to happen to Giant Bomb in a really long time. He always came across as being incredibly fair and reasonable, and was always willing to acknowledge and stand up for different perspectives. The kind that would honestly sooner be ridiculed or hand-waved away by the rest of the staff except maybe Vinny.

NoMoreMutants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LEAVE THE MEMORIES ALONE!

cyborgx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know there is apparently some other thing he is going to do and I'm looking forward to finding out what that is but right now this just fucking sucks.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Thanks for everything Austin, you were a great addition to the team. Look forward to seeing what you do next and hope to still see you around on the GBE streams/podcasts.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

This is a major bummer. Austin's positivity and perspective will be greatly missed. He offered thought-provoking commentary in a way that wasn't ever particularly abrasive or preachy, which is tough to pull off. I know he'll do great at whatever he does next, but he'll be greatly missed here. Godspeed, duder; I'm glad we got the time with you that we did.

Joe423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Good luck Austin, will miss you in all the Giant Beast content and especially the beastcast, you're great. Good luck in whatever you've got coming up, I'm sure you'll kill it!

Avatar image for lonelyspacepanda
    LonelySpacePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 11

Just as with Klepek, I was skeptical of you at first and it was hard to accept a new face in a familiar crew that feels like family as a fan. And like Klepek, the chemistry formed was undeniable and I became a fan. And once again, it's bittersweet to say goodbye. Best of luck on the future, duder.

This time I'm going to be more open-minded and accepting of the new hire, as GB has yet to bring on-board anything less than the best.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#211  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

WHAT!? Nononononono! Austin, you were one of the best things to happen to GiantBomb recently. Can't believe you're already taking off. =[ This legit sucks, man. Your humor was a perfect fit with the rest of the staff. Shoooooot =[ I normally don't care about staff changes but this one had me pretty bummed.

Good luck with everything! I enjoyed your writing and insight.

EDIT: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

sparkysanxion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By sparkysanxion

Good luck sir. I will be keeping an eye on whatever it is you are off to do for sure.

Make sure you come back to help finish off that pesky Dracula from time to time. Your back stories for the cast of characters made that feature something else!

You've left some big shoes to fill in a short year.

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

It was an absolute pleasure having you on the site, Austin. Good luck with all of your future endeavors!

hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Wait, WHAT?!

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

Everyone, including myself, lost their minds when Austin announced the news. It'll be sad, I've grown to like Austin, and it sucks he's leaving. Godspeed to your future endeavors. :)

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

So woke up this morning to see the post from Dan on twitter. Did he say why he was leaving?

I'm going to miss ya duder. You brought a much needed middle ground to the GB east team. You worked well on camera with both alex and vinny, and some of my favorite gb moments in the past year have been from you. You bring up thought provoking conversations (a more recent example being 'Are Pokemon Slaves' which both made me laugh and go..hmm at the same time) but seem to have a good balance between seriousness and fun.

Both I and my husband (who uses the site but avoid the forums) wish you the best and pray that where ever you go next will be awesome for you. Please don't be a stranger to the site!

estragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awww man, the back and forth between you and Vinny was great. Don't èven know if i'll listen to the beastcast now.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Austin is so great he made the site better. Thank you for so much, the past year has been challenging but you knuckle heads genuinely made it better. :)

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

This just ruined my day (maybe week), so damn it.

Austin was just such a perfect fit to GB (especially to the Beast) and a great guy just in general. I really don't see how they can replace him.

Avatar image for a_faceless_name
    A_Faceless_Name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SPIDER-MAN!

My favorite Austin moment right there, from the Poly Bridge Unfinished.

All the love, thanks for being the devil on Vinny's shoulder, and a solid chap in your own right. Cheers mate!

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

masterwgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By masterwgs

It breaks my heart that you're leaving duder, but you seem incredibly excited so I can only assume it's an amazing opportunity and that makes me incredibly happy. When you first came on board I'll admit - I wasn't a huge fan. I thought your laugh was obnoxious, and you seemed kinda awkward in conversation. However, as time passed I found myself loving your input on the Beastcast and in writing alike - you have a distinct style, an unabashed love for this amazing industry, and a giddiness that is downright infectious when you're really into something. You found your tempo with the rest of the guys and made a mark on my heart with your love of GOOD MECHA ANIME, an art I thought lost on the Giant Bomb crew. You're a genuine voice of reason, and you've got a huge fan in me. While I'll miss hearing you chime in with the GB guys, I am ready to follow your exploits wherever you end up next!

Arigatou gozaiasu Austin Senpai~!

Cagliostro88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously did not expect this. Did he find a job on the other side of the industry?

I appreciated his presence and his bringing in games not in the style of the rest of the crew (i loved the King of the Dragon Pass stream). Tough to replace. I wish him good luck for the future :)

Deccman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for your time at the site Austin. Don't be a stranger!

moondogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You just got here... what's going on. Come back every now and then. Some one needs to scream Vinny... and you do it pretty well.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

<3 Austin.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I've been here since '09 and had pretty much fallen off of the west coast content after Vinny traveled east. Then, against all odds, Austin pretty quickly became my favorite voice from either group and really felt like a huge breath of fresh air for the group. Best of luck wherever he goes.

David

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super bummed but best of luck to you in your future endevours!

dtk79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By dtk79

Man, it's just occurred to me; I really hope Austin comes back to GM another Fiasco (or something else?) game at Christmas...

Chumm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shaygra said:

Thank you, Austin, for introducing me to Giant Bomb, and making me laugh so much, and for reminding me that games and their communities can be a kinder, friendlier, more creative, and more loving place than I thought they could be.

I'll miss seeing and hearing your work Giant Bomb, but I can't wait to see where you go from here.

This is a beautiful first post, agreed 100%.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Let's take a moment of silence for all the what's, what's good, and all the other great austinisms we will miss. Please add more I forgot!

Kub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for all your contributions, Austin, you were a great addition to GB. It sucks you're leaving but good luck with whatever you'll be doing now!

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
    thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

What a crazy thing to wake up to. Austin, you're articulate, funny as hell, and wickedly smart. The caliber of discussion and joy you brought to this site is going to be sorely missed. Best of luck on your new project, I can't wait to see what it is.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I feel like a more intelligent and open minded person having listened to and read Austin's work

I'll miss that dude, but also hope that whatever he's going to do is incredible

<>

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

good luck Austin. As much as i love Giantbomb, you sir, was/is wholly over qualify for this place. So while I am sad GB will be loosing a great gundum editor, I am glad you are pursuing something more fitting for your intellect. (please don't go to a Gawker or something, patrick is wasted there) Thank you for all the fun and we will miss your smile.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good luck out there Austin!

mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you, Austin! We'll miss you! Good luck in your future job!

StrawHat_NPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#242  Edited By StrawHat_NPC

Man just seen this now. I'm bummed Austin is leaving but wherever he goes I'll keep following him.

Thanks Austin.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I feel devastated. Austin is my favorite part of this website. I'll miss you, sir. You brought something completely fresh to this website and I'll value the laughs and insight for a long, long time.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#244  Edited By Humanity

Austin was cool. Still a hard left for the site but not as severe as Patrick was. The curse of the rotating news seat at Giant Bomb continues.

Best of luck to Austin wherever he goes. Hopefully it's not Polygon.

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By AlmostSwedish

Man, this is a real bummer to put it mildly. Austin really brought some life back to GB and to be honest he is probably the reason I'm still a subscriber.

Picky_Bugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not the best thing to find out when recovering from a night of drinking, no I have a hangover and am super bummed out. Good luck with the future Austin. You were quickly becoming my favourite Duder.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By Mcfart

That's a huge bummer. Hopefully he'll still join Powerbombcasts though!

GB East will have a huge hole without Austin. He was an esstional piece of the puzzle to GB East's chemistry.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wished him well in the other thread but will gladly do so again here!

Sad to see you leave Austin, but excited to see what you're doing next, keep being awesome.

PollySMPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Best of luck, Austin. You singlehandedly revived my interest in Giant Bomb again when it'd grown a bit stale for me. Yours is a voice that'll be sorely missed around these parts, but I know with the amazing personality, humor, intelligence, and writing chops you have that you're gonna do wonderful no matter where you land.

Lots of love, duder.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.