Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Backbreaker

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 01, 2010

Backbreaker is the debut game from NaturalMotion, developers of the Dynamic Motion Synthesis technology found in Euphoria. The title features on-the-fly simulation of tackles, rather than using animations produced by key-framing or motion capture.

Players like it reviewers don't.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gike987

First people raged at Deadly premonitions low scores. After that came Alpha Protocol and now Backbreaker. Both the Gamespot forum and the IGN comments is full of people calling the reviewers Madden fanboys. 
    Seems to be a lot of people disagreeing with reviewers this year.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By c1337us

I haven't played Backbreaker so I couldn't offer an opinion other then people are idiots and they will never seem to learn that a game review is exactly that: an opinion of someone who played the game.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Ineedaname

I've not played either, but if you were making an American football game, and you had the option of either fancy tackles, or the licenses, I imagine the latter brings alot more to the table.

I know the games probably have more differents but they're the main things for both I'd say.
    And are there many football games out there? I imagine Madden is the one you look to compare it to.

starrjack1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By starrjack1

Dude people always hate reviewers, that is nothing new, your just paying closer attention than before.  And my two cents on Backbreaker, I really don't give a shit about Football (and I'm a redblooded American) but the action looks pretty cool in Backbreaker, it looks like a game and not a sim, thus I put it on my Gamefly.

mdsteil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mdsteil

I dont really dig the game, its ai is broken and online play is pretty much the same 3 plays that work most often

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

#6  Edited By ManMadeGod

But the thing is that the IGN and Gamespot reviews for this game are crap. They make ridiculous complaints like: I throw too many interceptions or "Quarterbacks are horrifically inaccurate". Ok, that's because you suck at the game. Unlike in Madden, if you throw into coverage, you will get picked off. Sorry, no ball bouncing off player's hands here! People (like myself) are mad because they give Madden such high scores year in and year out and than slam BackBreaker. Makes zero sense.  

Look at metacritic: this game has a 54, yet the user score is a 79. The reviews where just way too low for this game. 

I also love how the IGN review says that the running game is the most authentic part of the gameplay while the Gamespot review blasts the running game for being the worst part of the gameplay. I know I am suppose to just let this all go and say:   "well it's just their opinion!" but the thing is these people are suppose to be "professional" reviewers.  Unfortunately consumers go to sites like Gamespot to look for guidance on what to buy. When they publish shit like the backbreaker review users have the right to be mad.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By raviolisumo

People that bought the game are going to say its good. That's why the user review score is always higher than the real one.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By DanielJW

It looks awesome. It seems to toe the line between arcade and sim perfectly. For me, at least. 

Hopefully I can rent it and try a few games with friends. If all is well I'm sure I'll purchase it. 

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By manhattan_project
    @DanielJW: So you haven't played it? I thought the same thing until I tried it and, yeah the animations are great, but the rest is just sorta meh. 
    @ManMadeGod: Playing against the A.I. on Pro is not the way you're supposed to play Madden.
    Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cold_Wolven

It's my belief that reviewers have to look at all aspects of a game and that will play into their review score when they average out the scores for the other aspects. It seems when reviewing Alpha Protocol, Jeff wanted to like the game because of what it brought to the spy genre but unfortunately the game is broken and the technical aspect will play a large part in the score. Gamers are more casual in their opinions on games where reviewers have to back up everything they say with facts.
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Whisperkill

Deadly Premonition and Alpha Protocol are both shitastic games. I'm sure backbreaker is too...

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ManMadeGod
    @Manhattan_Project said:

" @DanielJW: So you haven't played it? I thought the same thing until I tried it and, yeah the animations are great, but the rest is just sorta meh.  
    @ManMadeGod: Playing against the A.I. on Pro is not the way you're supposed to play Madden. "

Don't even sit there and try to defend the steaming pile of shit which is Madden. I buy the game every year too because I am an idiot, so don't even go there. That game has been broken for the past 5 years or so.
    Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@ManMadeGod: Bomberman is Broken. Sonic is broken. The A.I. in Backbreaker is broken. Madden, while not flawless, is not broken and saying it is, is just plain stupid.
    ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ManMadeGod
    @Wes899 said:
    " People that bought the game are going to say its good. That's why the user review score is always higher than the real one. "
    That's just not true. To stay somewhat related to the topic: look at Madden 2009 on Metacritic: 83 score, 7.0 user score. 

As for me, I basically got this game for free, so if it sucked I would not be afraid to say it.
    ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ManMadeGod
    @Manhattan_Project said:
    " @ManMadeGod: Bomberman is Broken. Sonic is broken. The A.I. in Backbreaker is broken. Madden, while not flawless, is not broken and saying it is, is just plain stupid. "
    *sigh* 
    I see that you don't play Madden on your 360, I am guessing you buy it every year on the PS3? And yes, the game is fucking broken to the point of it being funny. 

There is a user on youtube, called apexisreal, who has put up countless videos on why Madden is BROKEN. My favorite one I remember him doing: he took a custom player that was like 5'5 and had no power, and he truck sticked Terrell Suggs. Excuse me?! Haha the stats mean nothing in the game: the video is hilarious if you can find it. You really don't notice anything when you play? Players zooming around the place to make a play on the ball is my favorite. Here is one of his videos: 

Here's another one comparing backbreaker to Madden (posted by another user) : 

People need to wake up and make EA Sports get their act together. I am not buying Madden 11 because I already know it's going to have the same exact problems that the past 5 Madden's have had. Sure, Backbreaker is not perfect, but it's their first football game. It does a lot of things right and I really hope they made a sequel.
    DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By DevWil

this game sucks and it confuses me to no end that people are giving it a pass. 

the camera angle is horrible. it's very nearly nauseating and it's not even a brand new idea.  NCAA Football 08 and Madden 2005 are the last two football games i bought (both for $20 or less each...so long after their original release) and NCAA has a comparable camera angle in its Campus Legend mode.  difference is you're not expected to control an entire team with it, just one player. 

as evidenced by my football library, i'm not a madden fanboy by any means.  i think the last time i played it was when i downloaded the 08 or 09 demo and deleted it after playing it for 10 minutes. 

it's simply a busted-ass game with an irritating soundtrack and a really unclear purpose.  it's not arcade-y or easy enough to be the new blitz and it definitely can't compete as a deep, realistic sim.  the playbook is simple and the controls don't seem robust enough. 

the lack of an NFL license has nothing to do with if i think this game is any good.

i can't imagine anybody will be playing this for more than 10 minutes at a time 3 months from now.  it's such a shallow game.  if it was on XBLA and priced accordingly, maybe it wouldn't be so offensive. 

it seems like people are just quick to defend it as the anti-madden when it's not even that.  it's just a bad football game.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By cstrang
    @Wes899 said:
    " People that bought the game are going to say its good. That's why the user review score is always higher than the real one. "
    This.  It's the initial reaction before buyers remorse sets in.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#18  Edited By AgentJ
    @Ineedaname said:
    " I've not played either, but if you were making an American football game, and you had the option of either fancy tackles, or the licenses, I imagine the latter brings alot more to the table.  I know the games probably have more differents but they're the main things for both I'd say. And are there many football games out there? I imagine Madden is the one you look to compare it to. "
    I would disagree. Since Backbreaker has a team customization it's almost like you can have the best of both worlds as long as you are willing to put a little effort into it. But the editor is really the thing that you would compare to the licence in that fight. 
    @DevWil: You're going to call a game with the customization of Backbreaker "Shallow"?
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ineedaname
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Ineedaname said:
    " I've not played either, but if you were making an American football game, and you had the option of either fancy tackles, or the licenses, I imagine the latter brings alot more to the table.  I know the games probably have more differents but they're the main things for both I'd say. And are there many football games out there? I imagine Madden is the one you look to compare it to. "
    I would disagree. Since Backbreaker has a team customization it's almost like you can have the best of both worlds as long as you are willing to put a little effort into it. But the editor is really the thing that you would compare to the licence in that fight. 
    @DevWil: You're going to call a game with the customization of Backbreaker "Shallow"? "
    But it's how many of the audience that buy madden are willing to put that effort in?
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AgentJ
    @Ineedaname said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    " @Ineedaname said:
    @DevWil: You're going to call a game with the customization of Backbreaker "Shallow"? "
    But it's how many of the audience that buy madden are willing to put that effort in? "
    It's for those people that Backbreaker exists. 
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By buzz_clik
    @gike987 said:
    " First people raged at Deadly premonitions low scores. After that came Alpha Protocol and now Backbreaker. Both the Gamespot forum and the IGN comments is full of people calling the reviewers Madden fanboys.  Seems to be a lot of people disagreeing with reviewers this year. "
    Not to mention the ridiculous Lost Planet 2 brouhaha.
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ineedaname
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Ineedaname said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    " @Ineedaname said:
    But it's how many of the audience that buy madden are willing to put that effort in? "
    It's for those people that Backbreaker exists.  "
    Nothing to do with them having the tech and being unable to get the license so having to go a different route?
    DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DevWil
    @AgentJ:  
    what's team customization got to do with gameplay? 

oh, nothing. 

it's a bad game that doesn't fit into the current market.  there's tecmo bowl throwback and blitz the league for casual football fans (unless blitz is more complicated than i'm assuming) and the EA sports games for people who want a deep, sim-like game.  backbreaker doesn't do either well and it's not like it provides an interesting middle ground.
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By BabyChooChoo

It's one of these threads again...

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By JJWeatherman

I guess that explains why Jeff and Ryan like it. 

No Caption Provided
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AgentJ
    @Ineedaname said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    " @Ineedaname said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    " @Ineedaname said:
    It's for those people that Backbreaker exists.  "
    Nothing to do with them having the tech and being unable to get the license so having to go a different route? "
    It of course is unfortunate that they couldn't get the licence, but at least another company is putting out a competing product. It may end up selling shit, but we should all be happy that someone is showing madden what can be done better (and in some cases what could be done worse) 

@DevWil said:
    " @AgentJ:  what's team customization got to do with gameplay?  oh, nothing.  it's a bad game that doesn't fit into the current market.  there's tecmo bowl throwback and blitz the league for casual football fans (unless blitz is more complicated than i'm assuming) and the EA sports games for people who want a deep, sim-like game.  backbreaker doesn't do either well and it's not like it provides an interesting middle ground. "
    It absolutely adds to the gameplay. Would you rather play with 32 teams that you are emotionally invested in or 5 invested teams and 27 that you could give a rat's ass about? There hasn't been a new Blitz for what, 2-3 years? Do we even expect another? And the Tecmo Bowl games are for people who want to go back and play the old school 2D gameplay. Backbreaker goes in a different direction, and for people who have put more than 30 minutes into the game, it is very rewarding. It's not perfect in any shape or form, and could use another entry to deal with some of the kinks, but I am very happy with the game I picked up.
    Turbofirejames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Turbofirejames

I love NFL 2k5, and i have hated every Madden....except Madden 10. I thought Madden 10 was fantastic. The running game worked, the AI was good. My friends who didnt have an xbox could pick it up and play and have a good time. Backbreaker is ok. I enjoy it, i think it has potential but honestly without real teams or a fun backstory its a wash. Blitz atleast creates its own universe in a really fun way.

Every sports game is basically broken on some level. No videogame captures the nuance of the sports. Football is a nuanced game and it's hard to recreate. I enjoy sports games for what they are, competition and fantasy. (useless sidenote- love NBA street. captures the fluidity and creativity of basketball in a way sim games cant. Sim hoops games always feel to rigid to me)

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DevWil
    @AgentJ:  

i think you're crazy, but there are worse things than you enjoying a game that i think is terrible.  have fun with it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.