Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Dec 02, 2001

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance is an Action RPG adventure set in Dungeons and Dragons' Forgotten Realms universe.

Thinking about this game recently

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BurBan_Snake

It's been a great many years since this title first launched on the Playstation 2 back when I was a kid. I remember playing couch co-op with my dad through most of this game, and we had a great time with it. Having seen a few videos that peaked my nostalgic spirit towards the game, I was curious if anyone had any suggestions on how to possibly get ahold of this game in a playable state, outside of having to hook a playstation 2 up to my TV (Which at this point isnt even possible), or is emulation simply not possible for this game? Also, are there any games out there doing what this game did back in the day, perhaps on PC?

Also, feel free to share your nostalgic feelings too, best RPG on ps2? :P

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Emulation for PS2 exists and works fine, this game included. However, the rights to this game is a mess; technically Atari still owns the rights to the Baldur's Gate/Forgotten Realms/D&D licence, but have been incredibly hesitant to let most anyone touch it (it took Beamdog 14 months of negotiations to even begin work on the first Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition) To add, I'm not 100% if the "Dark Alliance" portion is owned by Interplay in some capacity?
    I'd love to play this again -- thre's a reason why it's so damn expensive to buy second hand

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Even just trying to get used copies of Dark Alliance (and Dark Alliance 2) 5-10 years ago was ridiculous; I can't imagine prices have gone down any. I wish they would rerelease these games in some capacity because I would love to replay them.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even just trying to get used copies of Dark Alliance (and Dark Alliance 2) 5-10 years ago was ridiculous; I can't imagine prices have gone down any. I wish they would rerelease these games in some capacity because I would love to replay them.

I recall looking into this around that same time. I still have a copy of each game, but I cant imagine they still work, I was pretty rough on my games as a kiddo.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

I've still got my PS2 copies of those games, but haven't played them since their heyday. I liked the local coop, but otherwise found them to pale in comparison to the depth, richness, and variety of Diablo 2, which was in its prime back then.

It looks like used copies of Dark Alliance 1 go for around $10, DA2 for around $30, and Champions of Norrath around $15. The best way to play them now is probably to either use your original discs or buy used copies, and then use an emulator on PC to play them.

Lucifunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These games were so good to play coop!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Fredchuckdave

It's pretty good, second one is better (and a lot more expensive). Super Iconic merchant voice and Tony Jay doing work as well. It was made in the era where games were actually pretty long on average though, so it being brief was a fairly large detriment. Best RPGs on the PS2 are: Valkyrie Profile 2 (one of the best games ever made), Final Fantasy XII, Suikoden V, Xenosaga III, Dragon Quest VIII, Rogue Galaxy, Front Mission 4, and a whole bunch more, that system has the most good RPGs period, though a lot of that has to do with the sheer volume of games.

Seeking arms and armor? I have everything you need, right here.

One of Ryan Davis' favorite games ever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.