Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 21, 2000

Take hold of your destiny as you journey across mysterious lands, encounter many magical creatures and meet many memorable characters in a large fantasy world.

Hearkening back to Baldur's Gate

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

Edited By ahoodedfigure

When I last left BG2 behind, I had killed a lich with a disrupting weapon that has a chance to kill undead, before the conversation even ended. He was standing on a table when I unfairly murdered him, and thus his loot was inaccessible. I thought that was BS2 and gave up, even after we found out that his loot drop was just cash. I missed many things from the first game, which I think weighed on me a bit heavily and reduced my enjoyment to the point where I felt like moving on to other things. But after many years' hiatus I came back, and I'm surprised how mixed up my memories were at times. It seems BG and BG2 occupied similar spots in my brain, and some of the data accidentally got put in the wrong places.

I played the first Baldur's Gate primarily on a friend's computer, and so that time tended to be stolen time when no one else was around. More than anything else I loved wandering the wilderness and discovering side quests just by bumping into them. There were few discrete questgiving moments from a central location; it was all about exploring, and I loved that. I still do, and I wish more games had tried it. When I took the game up again some years ago to complete it, after having played some Baldur's Gate 2 in the meantime, I was surprised how relatively little the party feels alive in the first game. I think in part I remember Baldur's Gate 2's level of interaction, with spontaneous conversations (sometimes at inconvenient times) that made them seem more like actual characters and less like extensions of the player character. So, while the exploration elements made the environment feel rich and fun to explore, the sequel improved upon the original by making the characters a bit richer if you wanted to delve into that. 

The natural side-quest exploration is something I miss, though. Now that I'm playing Baldur's Gate 2 with the intent to finish it, I remember why I missed the old system so much. Simple movement from one end of the major city to the other means being accosted by random people who dump a quest or encounter in my lap while I'm trying to finish something else. At one point I had to lug two bodies around, one dead and one alive, as the encounters kept piling up. It felt very front-loaded to me, and I now remember how hard I tried to finish off all the side-quests I could the first time I played, thinking that they would keep coming in subsequent chapters.

As it turns out, part of my initial exhaustion with BG2 was that the pileup of side quests in the beginning was pretty much the sum total of side quests in the game, and that all the rest, as far as I knew, was the main storyline. No even sprinkling, as far as I could see, but a huge blob at the front that's overwhelming, followed by silence.

But I learned too that BG2 isn't nearly as stable as the first game. This playthrough has already yielded a bug that forced me to go back to an earlier save, and there are weird scripting errors that caused problems that I'm dreading running into again. I think that's in part a virtue of it being a more complicated game, with a lot more interplay *cough* between different elements than before, with some pretty snazzy and strange items and character abilities that no doubt contribute to the increased errors. And man, do I love containers. All games should have containers. All of them.

My strategy this time through is to not hoard things. It worked pretty well during my brief attempt to play Morrowind as a stalwart Orc, so I thought I'd try it here, reducing my dependency on a full magic user, while selling many of the things I've found. My main character is an archer, so naturally that's where the ammo belt goes, Minsc has a scrollbook full of quest papers and protection scrolls, Jaheira has the potion pouch, Yoshimo has two gem bags, one for jewelry and one for gemstones, Tiefling Bard Boy (the first bard character ever that I've actually managed to tolerate) holds on to the mage scrolls, though I wonder if I'm going to dump him at some point for someone a bit more good at something specific. 

I've also been trying to use the strong stealth elements in my party to beat places I probably am too weak to tackle otherwise. I raided a beholder complex only killing the main antagonist and then sneaking out of there, killing next to none of the human stragglers in the bargain. And a plane with enthralled creatures seemingly forced me to fight with the human beings trapped there, but I found a way past all of the mind-controlled people and destroyed the thing controlling them, so I didn't have to kill any innocents (though many died in the upheval afterward). Was hard, but I felt damned accomplished after escaping. 

So far just one game-killing bug. Hopefully I won't run into any more, but I'm still wary.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ahoodedfigure

When I last left BG2 behind, I had killed a lich with a disrupting weapon that has a chance to kill undead, before the conversation even ended. He was standing on a table when I unfairly murdered him, and thus his loot was inaccessible. I thought that was BS2 and gave up, even after we found out that his loot drop was just cash. I missed many things from the first game, which I think weighed on me a bit heavily and reduced my enjoyment to the point where I felt like moving on to other things. But after many years' hiatus I came back, and I'm surprised how mixed up my memories were at times. It seems BG and BG2 occupied similar spots in my brain, and some of the data accidentally got put in the wrong places.

I played the first Baldur's Gate primarily on a friend's computer, and so that time tended to be stolen time when no one else was around. More than anything else I loved wandering the wilderness and discovering side quests just by bumping into them. There were few discrete questgiving moments from a central location; it was all about exploring, and I loved that. I still do, and I wish more games had tried it. When I took the game up again some years ago to complete it, after having played some Baldur's Gate 2 in the meantime, I was surprised how relatively little the party feels alive in the first game. I think in part I remember Baldur's Gate 2's level of interaction, with spontaneous conversations (sometimes at inconvenient times) that made them seem more like actual characters and less like extensions of the player character. So, while the exploration elements made the environment feel rich and fun to explore, the sequel improved upon the original by making the characters a bit richer if you wanted to delve into that. 

The natural side-quest exploration is something I miss, though. Now that I'm playing Baldur's Gate 2 with the intent to finish it, I remember why I missed the old system so much. Simple movement from one end of the major city to the other means being accosted by random people who dump a quest or encounter in my lap while I'm trying to finish something else. At one point I had to lug two bodies around, one dead and one alive, as the encounters kept piling up. It felt very front-loaded to me, and I now remember how hard I tried to finish off all the side-quests I could the first time I played, thinking that they would keep coming in subsequent chapters.

As it turns out, part of my initial exhaustion with BG2 was that the pileup of side quests in the beginning was pretty much the sum total of side quests in the game, and that all the rest, as far as I knew, was the main storyline. No even sprinkling, as far as I could see, but a huge blob at the front that's overwhelming, followed by silence.

But I learned too that BG2 isn't nearly as stable as the first game. This playthrough has already yielded a bug that forced me to go back to an earlier save, and there are weird scripting errors that caused problems that I'm dreading running into again. I think that's in part a virtue of it being a more complicated game, with a lot more interplay *cough* between different elements than before, with some pretty snazzy and strange items and character abilities that no doubt contribute to the increased errors. And man, do I love containers. All games should have containers. All of them.

My strategy this time through is to not hoard things. It worked pretty well during my brief attempt to play Morrowind as a stalwart Orc, so I thought I'd try it here, reducing my dependency on a full magic user, while selling many of the things I've found. My main character is an archer, so naturally that's where the ammo belt goes, Minsc has a scrollbook full of quest papers and protection scrolls, Jaheira has the potion pouch, Yoshimo has two gem bags, one for jewelry and one for gemstones, Tiefling Bard Boy (the first bard character ever that I've actually managed to tolerate) holds on to the mage scrolls, though I wonder if I'm going to dump him at some point for someone a bit more good at something specific. 

I've also been trying to use the strong stealth elements in my party to beat places I probably am too weak to tackle otherwise. I raided a beholder complex only killing the main antagonist and then sneaking out of there, killing next to none of the human stragglers in the bargain. And a plane with enthralled creatures seemingly forced me to fight with the human beings trapped there, but I found a way past all of the mind-controlled people and destroyed the thing controlling them, so I didn't have to kill any innocents (though many died in the upheval afterward). Was hard, but I felt damned accomplished after escaping. 

So far just one game-killing bug. Hopefully I won't run into any more, but I'm still wary.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By owl_of_minerva

There's a mod which translates BG1 into BG2's engine, which sounds cool. I haven't tried it myself though. Mods generally might do much to improve the experience of either game, but you may prefer to complete them vanilla first, as they might possibly interpolate things that detract from the experience.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @owl_of_minerva:  There are already a few mods on here. I forget what they are since I wasn't the one who installed them. Nothing too invasive, but a few bug fixes and something that sorta breaks the armor class stacking rule, which I guess I'll just ignore for the sake of sanity even though I wouldn't have done that myself.  

A lot of the mods I've seen actually create new problems too, or change things so much that you would wind up missing features that were changed. It's pretty much vanilla, and I don't think I've read enough to be able to tell what I would want anyway. Other than bug fixes I don't really need anything, as far as I can tell, although I could definitely use more scroll cases. :)
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#4  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @owl_of_minerva said:
    " There's a mod which translates BG1 into BG2's engine, which sounds cool. I haven't tried it myself though. Mods generally might do much to improve the experience of either game, but you may prefer to complete them vanilla first, as they might possibly interpolate things that detract from the experience. "
    I actually used BG Tutu for the playthrough that my blog about it was based on. I've messed with vanilla before, and the most immediate two things that bugged me with that game were the screen resolution (640x480!) and I'm pretty sure the walking speed is slower as well. It was not quite the interface and graphical nightmare I experienced from the 15 minutes I played of the unreleased Playstation 1 version (The difference between that and my 1920x1080 Tutu version of Baldur's Gate is like an arcade to 2600 port), but the minor tweaks added by Tutu were enough for me to get serious and actually finish Baldur's Gate.

@ahoodedfigure: I've been considering replaying BG 2 for a long while, now that I'm going through the rest of the Infinity Engine catalog I'd like to take a look at it again because I never got past the Underdark. But, first things first. I have to decide if I'm going to keep playing Neverwinter Nights 2 (probably yes), and then I have to get back into Icewind Dale 2, and at some point I'm going to actually dig into Planescape as well. I've certainly dug myself into a deep enough RPG hole, never mind if I want to play anything on a console.
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @ArbitraryWater:  In a lot of RPGs, especially a few of the Infinity Engine games you mention, when I'm faced with major Main Quest decisions I tend to stop playing because I never really know what the game means by these decisions. Are there going to be huge consequences? Cool in theory, but it's hard to make a choice without knowing what the hell one is getting into.  The bigger the consequences the more I want to know, but eventually you hit a wall, with the designers I guess presuming you wanted to make the choice all along. When you don't know the tone of the game, or how severe the consequences might be, it makes the decision a bit too much for me a lot of the time. I've resolved just to dive in and see what happens this time.

My problems with the first NWN was all on the technical side of things. I never got past the first dungeon because I hated the way my character looked and how I could never quite see where I was going, wrestling with the camera all the time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.