Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 21, 2000

Take hold of your destiny as you journey across mysterious lands, encounter many magical creatures and meet many memorable characters in a large fantasy world.

Secret shame... and redemption.

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Edited By WitchHunter_Z

Guys, I'm WitchHunter_Z and I have a confession to make: I've never played a Baldur's Gate game in my life.

I've heard so much about the legendary status of these games that it feels embarrassing to admit in any nerd circle that I've never touched these; never gone through that coming of age ceremony of completing one. That all ends today. While browsing Amazon I came across a deal far to good to pass up: both games with expansions on DVD for only £15. Needless to say I picked that up right away.

If anyone has recently replayed any of these I was wondering how the combat holds up? As much as I loved Planescape: Torment I almost felt it would be better with 90% of the combat removed. Does the combat in these suffer from the same clunkiness that plagued PST?

Soon, I install the first... and become a man.

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

Guys, I'm WitchHunter_Z and I have a confession to make: I've never played a Baldur's Gate game in my life.

I've heard so much about the legendary status of these games that it feels embarrassing to admit in any nerd circle that I've never touched these; never gone through that coming of age ceremony of completing one. That all ends today. While browsing Amazon I came across a deal far to good to pass up: both games with expansions on DVD for only £15. Needless to say I picked that up right away.

If anyone has recently replayed any of these I was wondering how the combat holds up? As much as I loved Planescape: Torment I almost felt it would be better with 90% of the combat removed. Does the combat in these suffer from the same clunkiness that plagued PST?

Soon, I install the first... and become a man.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By veektarius

PST has the worst combat of the infinity engine games, but none of them have "good" combat.   Probably the closest you'll come to a halfway decent mechanic is in Fallout 1&2, but in those games your companions are a danger to themselves and others.  Baldur's Gate has a pretty good set of spells - many recommend you make a mage (or a dual-class kensai or fighter/mage, since the early levels of BG suck so much) because only one NPC companion mage has the highest level spells (and he's evil).  

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#3  Edited By ahoodedfigure

So, how'd it go?

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By WitchHunter_Z
    @ahoodedfigure:  Fairly rough, I installed Baldur's Gate Tutu to bring the resolution of the original up to a better standard but the visuals sill aged poorly. So did the combat unfortunately, although most of the problems I had with it stemmed from the fact I'd been playing Dragon Age before, I had the same problem with Morrowind which I played after Oblivion and it only served to further exacerbate the issues. 

Despite the problems the game is excellent, and I can see why people rave about it so much. I finished the first and the expansion, and I was intending to start Shadows of Amn around now but I recently picked up FF XIII and Resonance of Fate so I'll leave it until I finish up those two.
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#5  Edited By ahoodedfigure

I went back to BG recently to try it out again, and I was impressed by the amount of detail they put into the world, that they actually thought about player choice enough to account for the order in which you did things, or if you skipped something.  That takes a lot of attention to detail.

For me the combat is fine, but I realize it's not for everyone.  And yeah, sometimes games don't age well in certain categories; we had similar problems with the resolution.  Good to see you're willing to look past some of their non-fatal shortcomings.  Wish there were more folks like that.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By Junkerman

You cant stop at shadows of amn!  Thats when the game gets good.

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WitchHunter_Z
    @Junkerman:  Oh don't worry, I'm not done with the series yet. I plan on playing Shadows of Amn when my new GPU gets here and my desktop is operational again. After all, no better way to stress test a brand new rig than a 10 year old RPG.
    Spam101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Spam101

SOA blows one out of the water in every way. It's the best game you will ever play

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Junkerman
    @WitchHunter_Z:  Haha true.  Seems all I tend to play these days are the classic games I missed when I was younger.

**Off topic** but the original Deus Ex is also incredible if you want to continue pushing your PC to its limits.  Not quite an RPG but very story heavy and quite fun once you get the hang of it.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@Junkerman:  
    Dude, I would have never guessed you liked Deus Ex!
    Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Junkerman
    @InfamousBIG:  Shhh, thats on the down-low :P
    WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By WitchHunter_Z
    @Junkerman said:

**Off topic** but the original Deus Ex is also incredible if you want to continue pushing your PC to its limits.  Not quite an RPG but very story heavy and quite fun once you get the hang of it. "

Oh don't worry, I never passed up Deus Ex when it was new, although I do own the PS2 version not the PC one. Hell, I even included Deus Ex on my Favourites list.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.