Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Baldur's Gate

Franchise »

Baldur's Gate is a fantasy-themed RPG utilizing the AD&D system from Dungeons and Dragons.

Which Baldur's Gate should I buy?

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Cubidog1

I only have time to play one. I'll be buying it from GOG. I will be playing multiplayer with my brother on the game we get, so I'd prefer getting the game where multiplayer works best. I don't think I'll pay attention to the story. Also, I don't really want to use any mods, downloading them confuses me. I know these games are supposed to be long, which is why I think we will only play one. Also, which class should I play as?

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Huey2k2

@Cubidog1 said:

I don't think I'll pay attention to the story.

Get Neverwinter Nights instead then, the story is worse... but the multiplayer is superior.... and if you don't know much about D&D systems, 3e/3.5e are much easier to learn than 2e is.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#3  Edited By ArbitraryWater

So basically, you don't want to deal with any of the things that make Baldur's Gate what it is? Ok.

@Huey2k2 said:

@Cubidog1 said:

I don't think I'll pay attention to the story.

Get Neverwinter Nights instead then, the story is worse... but the multiplayer is superior.... and if you don't know much about D&D systems, 3e/3.5e are much easier to learn than 2e is.

I'd also throw in Icewind Dale and IWD 2 for similar reasons, though yeah, NWN is the best one to pick if you want multiplayer.

newt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By newt

If you want to play Baldur's Gate, wait for the enhanced edition to come out. The iPad version looks great and it has cross-play with the desktop versions.

If you want to play a game like it, Neverwinter is best for multiplayer (not NWN2) and is greatly enhanced by mods. For single player, I would get Icewind Dale.

The D&D systems don't matter terribly much, as most of the interaction is handled for you. In games under 2e systems, lower armor class is better.

AndrooD2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By AndrooD2

If you want an Infinity Engine game but don't care much for story, I'd go with Icewind Dale 2. It's practically non-stop combat from start to finish. Multiplayer is not the strong suit of any of those games, and Neverwinter Nights, while it is much better for multiplayer, is closer in gameplay to KOTOR and Dragon Age than it is to the Infinity Engine games.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Undeadpool

If you're not paying attention to the story, neither Baldur's Gate is going to have much for you. Though 2 is superior in terms of both character and story, they're both PRETTY heavy on it, so I'd say go with one of the other suggestions.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By fox01313

While at gamestop the other day I saw this on their download system of pc games, maybe just get this instead as it has all the Baldur's gate games & all the Neverwinter games for less than $20.

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cubidog1

Does the story keep unfolding in multiplayer just like it would in singleplayer? I know in most Bioware games you make dialouge choices so how would that work in multiplayer?

boj4ngles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By boj4ngles

@Cubidog1 said:

Does the story keep unfolding in multiplayer just like it would in singleplayer? I know in most Bioware games you make dialouge choices so how would that work in multiplayer?

Yes the story unfolds just like in singleplayer, except your party will be smaller as you need space for your multiplayer friends. If I remember correctly, any player can initiate dialogue, and everyone else waits while it is resolved. And if you want to skip the story, then don't even bother with the BG series. Icewind Dale is a more combat focused game on the infinity engine with almost no story at all. That is where it's at.

Silvergun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Silvergun

@AndrooD2 said:

If you want an Infinity Engine game but don't care much for story, I'd go with Icewind Dale 2. It's practically non-stop combat from start to finish. Multiplayer is not the strong suit of any of those games, and Neverwinter Nights, while it is much better for multiplayer, is closer in gameplay to KOTOR and Dragon Age than it is to the Infinity Engine games.

It's not a Baldur's Gate game, but for what you're looking for, you might have a lot of fun with Dungeon Siege II.

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Cubidog1

Alright then we'll pay attention to the story. I usually love the story in Bioware games. I think we'll just buy the 1st Baldur's Gate. If we love it, then we can play the second one. Thanks for all the help.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.