Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Baldur's Gate

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 21, 1998

Bioware's first RPG, you must assemble a party of adventurers and investigate the mystery of the iron crisis and a darker threat that looms in the city of Baldur's Gate.

A Modded Sword Coast Travelogue #1 Recommended Mods for BG1

ChernobylCow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 8

Edited By ChernobylCow

Take a trip back in time with me to my most favorite game of all time (second only to its sequel), Baldur's Gate.  In this blog I will be detailing the mods I have installed for this run through Bioware's first and arguably best RPGs ever.  I've played through a modded Baldur's Gate 2 (check out my blog post) plenty of times but I have yet to try out the numerous user-created additions for the first game so buckle up and enjoy the ride!

Mods used:

Always wanted to play Baldur's Gate with a BG2 class/kit? Now you can.
    Baldur's Gate TUTU :  A grand achievement of monumental scale.  The crew over at Pocketplane as adapted the original Baldur's Gate to the Baldur's Gate II engine!  Astounding.  I have played 6-8 hours and it seems to be working wonderfully.  The original game plays very slowly and this mod really speeds things up by updating the core mechanics.  The only hitch is that there is a very strange bug surrounding the town of Beregost which tends to corrupt saves.  Luckily Beregost is pretty boring so I have mostly avoided it.  There are a few work arounds just check out the readme. 

I wasn't able to plow through the kobolds so I had to flee and level up elsewhere.  Strategy abound!
     I wasn't able to plow through the kobolds so I had to flee and level up elsewhere.  Strategy abound!
    Sword Coast Stratagems:  This bad boy makes Baldur's Gate into the true tactical game that it was meant to be.  Human enemies drink potions.  Enemy mages are devilishly more clever.  And those pesky kobolds have a few tricks up their sleeves.  The game has a huge list of available options and each one is customizable.  I recommend you check out the full readme.

You'll learn more about your NPCs as they banter with you in the NPC Project.
    Baldur's Gate NPC Project:  One of the best additions to BG2 was the party banter between your entourage.  Sure, sometimes they'd stop you to talk about dreams of adventure or woes of their past just moments after you'd killed a dragon but these tidbits of dialogue really added depth to the BG characters.  This mod attempts to bring that extra spice to the original game.  Kivan will tell you about his past and heartaches.  Branwen will pester Ajantis about "relaxing" more often.  And Imoen will really seem like that pesky little tag along that she really is.  The mod adds numerous new romances with plenty of options for female protagonists.  I am currently taking advantage of this with Ajantis and Coran in my party (the mod creates inter-romance conflicts and bickering between them, and even Xan).  Several characters have NPC banter music that plays when they stop to speak with you and I really enjoy Kivan's, Ajantis', and Branwen's alot.  Great content here.

Sweet ass new druid spells? Sign me up!
    Divine Remix: This mod adds a slew of new cleric kits and adds some fixes for druids and rangers also.  There are more appropriate spells and a whole new system of divine spell schools that are really interesting.  I had to get this mod to accompany my druid class (I originally had planned to play through as a Cleric. Also, it's universally viewed that shapeshifting has been broken and useless in the Baldur's Gate series and this mod fixes it by creating a "magical paw" that allows you to switch forms instantly.  But you still can't cast spells while as a werewolf, nor equip armor.

My Protagonist and Why I Chose Her

Teen-wolf meets Baldur's gate.
    Baldur's Gate is an epic game.  In my time with the game since it's original release I have played and restarted dozens upon dozens of times, spending numerous hours staring at the character creation screen.  For this game I decided to play something I never have and a class/protagonist that compliments the mods I have installed.  Everyone plays a fighter for BG1 and I've beaten BG2TOB as a Kensai/Mage and as a Berserker/Cleric.  I almost wanted to play as a vanilla Cleric due to the Divine Remix mod but I decided to go an even different route and choose a Druid shapeshifter since the Divine Remix mod fixes shapeshifting and werewolves are sweet as hell.  I thought the class might be a little overpowered since you can switch forms instantly but trust me.  I've been killed plenty of times in my adventure thusfar.  I chose a female protagonist because the NPC project mod adds new romances and even a 3-way romance conflict between Xan, Coran, and Ajantis who might all be flirting with you at once.  I've only got Coran and Ajantis in my party (just a few moments ago) and these two are already bickering and toying with one another.  Fun times.

Next time on the Travelogues...

I'll go over how difficult it's been to assemble a party, my flight from the Nashkel mines, and even a slight detour into a minor mod that involves the Sirines along the sword coast.  Toodles!
    ChernobylCow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By ChernobylCow

Take a trip back in time with me to my most favorite game of all time (second only to its sequel), Baldur's Gate.  In this blog I will be detailing the mods I have installed for this run through Bioware's first and arguably best RPGs ever.  I've played through a modded Baldur's Gate 2 (check out my blog post) plenty of times but I have yet to try out the numerous user-created additions for the first game so buckle up and enjoy the ride!

Mods used:

Baldur's Gate TUTU :  A grand achievement of monumental scale.  The crew over at Pocketplane as adapted the original Baldur's Gate to the Baldur's Gate II engine!  Astounding.  I have played 6-8 hours and it seems to be working wonderfully.  The original game plays very slowly and this mod really speeds things up by updating the core mechanics.  The only hitch is that there is a very strange bug surrounding the town of Beregost which tends to corrupt saves.  Luckily Beregost is pretty boring so I have mostly avoided it.  There are a few work arounds just check out the readme. 

Sword Coast Stratagems:  This bad boy makes Baldur's Gate into the true tactical game that it was meant to be.  Human enemies drink potions.  Enemy mages are devilishly more clever.  And those pesky kobolds have a few tricks up their sleeves.  The game has a huge list of available options and each one is customizable.  I recommend you check out the full readme.

Baldur's Gate NPC Project:  One of the best additions to BG2 was the party banter between your entourage.  Sure, sometimes they'd stop you to talk about dreams of adventure or woes of their past just moments after you'd killed a dragon but these tidbits of dialogue really added depth to the BG characters.  This mod attempts to bring that extra spice to the original game.  Kivan will tell you about his past and heartaches.  Branwen will pester Ajantis about "relaxing" more often.  And Imoen will really seem like that pesky little tag along that she really is.  The mod adds numerous new romances with plenty of options for female protagonists.  I am currently taking advantage of this with Ajantis and Coran in my party (the mod creates inter-romance conflicts and bickering between them, and even Xan).  Several characters have NPC banter music that plays when they stop to speak with you and I really enjoy Kivan's, Ajantis', and Branwen's alot.  Great content here.

Divine Remix: This mod adds a slew of new cleric kits and adds some fixes for druids and rangers also.  There are more appropriate spells and a whole new system of divine spell schools that are really interesting.  I had to get this mod to accompany my druid class (I originally had planned to play through as a Cleric. Also, it's universally viewed that shapeshifting has been broken and useless in the Baldur's Gate series and this mod fixes it by creating a "magical paw" that allows you to switch forms instantly.  But you still can't cast spells while as a werewolf, nor equip armor.

My Protagonist and Why I Chose Her

Baldur's Gate is an epic game.  In my time with the game since it's original release I have played and restarted dozens upon dozens of times, spending numerous hours staring at the character creation screen.  For this game I decided to play something I never have and a class/protagonist that compliments the mods I have installed.  Everyone plays a fighter for BG1 and I've beaten BG2TOB as a Kensai/Mage and as a Berserker/Cleric.  I almost wanted to play as a vanilla Cleric due to the Divine Remix mod but I decided to go an even different route and choose a Druid shapeshifter since the Divine Remix mod fixes shapeshifting and werewolves are sweet as hell.  I thought the class might be a little overpowered since you can switch forms instantly but trust me.  I've been killed plenty of times in my adventure thusfar.  I chose a female protagonist because the NPC project mod adds new romances and even a 3-way romance conflict between Xan, Coran, and Ajantis who might all be flirting with you at once.  I've only got Coran and Ajantis in my party (just a few moments ago) and these two are already bickering and toying with one another.  Fun times.

Next time on the Travelogues...

I'll go over how difficult it's been to assemble a party, my flight from the Nashkel mines, and even a slight detour into a minor mod that involves the Sirines along the sword coast.  Toodles!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.