Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Baldur's Gate

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 21, 1998

Bioware's first RPG, you must assemble a party of adventurers and investigate the mystery of the iron crisis and a darker threat that looms in the city of Baldur's Gate.

Enhanced Edition his Steam. This the version to play?

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By beforet

Hi people. I noticed that the Enhanced Edition of BG went on steam yesterday. I've had some interest in playing this series, but I also know that the original game has a mod that ports it to the BGII engine. With that in mind, is the enhanced edition still the one to play? Or should I stick with the GOG version?

hmmisee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By hmmisee

I have not played either the original, GoG or Steam version, but I have read on other forums (neogaf .etc) that the enhanced version isn't that great, and to buy the original on GoG and follow the modding advice on the forums. Stuff such as better resolution, enhanced game-play and graphics.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Carryboy

Go for the Gog version and get the Balders gate trilogy mod that makes both games 1 long game and puts balders gate 1 into 2s engine.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By joshwent

@Beforet: If you missed it, they Quick Looked the Enhanced Edition:

I REALLY wanna dig into Baldur's Gate, but the like 3 times I've tried, the clunky controls always seemed too frustrating. It seems like the Enhanced version doesn't change that up. So if the GOG one is the original but modable, I'd say go with that.

Let us know what you pick and how playable it is!

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By TobbRobb

I would bet on the BG2 engine mod. That thing is fucking amazing. Those games are still gonna be clunky no matter what though, so be ready for that.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#6  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@joshwent said:

@Beforet: If you missed it, they Quick Looked the Enhanced Edition:

I'm just going to say that quick look is probably one of the single worst quick looks on Giant Bomb in terms of being informative about the game.

Also, the general consensus seems to be that buying both Baldur's Gate games from GOG and installing a bunch of mods is better than messing around with this "enhanced edition" that actually adds precious little of value to what is already a fantastic, albeit somewhat aged, game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.