Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Baldur's Gate

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 21, 1998

Bioware's first RPG, you must assemble a party of adventurers and investigate the mystery of the iron crisis and a darker threat that looms in the city of Baldur's Gate.

Which is the Preferred Way of Playing Baldur's Gate Nowadays?

GhostPantsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By GhostPantsu

Poll Which is the Preferred Way of Playing Baldur's Gate Nowadays? (56 votes)

Baldur's Gate: The Enhanced Edition (PC) 66%
    Baldur's Gate (PC) 30%
    (Surprise Entry) Baldur's Gate: The Enhanced Edition (on Phone) 9%

I was born in the mid-90's so I missed out on this game and wanted to play this classic. I have no clue which version to try because the Enhanced Edition is the most modern version of it, but supposedly the latest update/patch with the Siege of the Dragonspear DLC is causing save corruption, not be able to progress in the game, and/or crashing. At least this is what the recent Steam reviews says. Also, with the recent update to the Steam's Review System; the recent reviews out of more than 500 reviews gives the Enhanced Edition a Mixed Rating.

Or go with the OG Baldur's Gate where you can just mod the higher resolutions. (Hopefully)

Or the Phone Version? I am just curious.

If curious on current prices:

• Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
      • Steam $19.99
      • GOG $19.99
    • Baldur's Gate (Physical Disc)
      • Ebay 4 in 1 Box Set $11.89 (not including, if any, shipping and handling)
      • Amazon 4 in 1 Box Set $12.29 (not including, if any, shipping and handling)
    • Baldur's Gate on Phone
      • On Play Store $9.99
     • 
    nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#1  Edited By nophilip

You can also get the original version of the game from GoG, not just the Enhanced Edition. That's the only version I've ever played. It's not pretty, but it's certainly playable.

GhostPantsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nophilip: I looked at GOG.com; all I could find was the Enhanced Edition. Is it under another name? If you could post the link of the store page it would be really helpful.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

If you buy the game on GOG, you get both the original and Enhanced Version, which sounds like a pretty great deal until you realize that the vanilla versions of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 were comfortably available for sale on GOG up until last week for half as much. However, that also means that you can try both and see which one is to your liking. As someone who has played that game with a bunch of mods and is replaying it now with the Enhanced Edition, I'd personally never want to play unmodded Baldur's Gate 1 in any sort of capacity. Baldur's Gate 1 is already a hard game for someone unaccustomed to that style of RPG to try and play now, but throwing on the added challenge of 800x600 resolution and not having access to some of the engine-level improvements of BG2 sound unappealing.

Your real choice is between the Enhanced Edition and a bunch of mods (including the TuTu mod, which requires BG2 to work) and at this point I'd honestly say you're fine with the EE. There is certainly a segment of the fanbase that would consider that to be sacrilege, but the new (out-of-place and sort of bad) content is easily ignored and there are a couple of quality-of-life tweaks that are exclusive to the Enhanced Edition. There's certainly a case to be made either way, but now that you don't have a choice you might as well pick the one that doesn't require you to spend an hour installing mods.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I played BG II on the PC back in the day, and on my iPad. I have to say, the iPad experience was alright.... I wouldn't play it on the phone, but it plays as well with touch as it does with a mouse and keyboard.

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The PC version of the enhanced edition has the DLC included, on the phone you buy it separately, if it matters to you.

I would advocate the EE version simply because that is where a lot of the modern modding is taking place and it does a number of updates to the original that were originally in mods in terms of bug fixes, as well as allowing you to start as any of the classes from BG2. The DLC adds some minor new stuff, though because of their contract limitations they cannot do what I would really want which is to basically make an official NPC pack that adds in the banter and dialog to make them like bg2 npcs.

Unfortunately the DLC characters and quest lines I don't find particularly noteworthy, and wish they had been better written. The new kits they add are also, in my mind, pretty terribly balanced and draw on 3.5e content instead of 2e which is the rule set the game uses. The difference in editions is not insignificant if you are familiar with the different rulesets, but that might only matter to someone like me who can see the seams where the stitched 3.5 stuff in.

EE also has a new sequel taking place between bg and bg2, Siege of Dragonspear, which may be of interest. I don't know if it can import original BG characters. I wasn't impressed with it personally, but that can very well be a matter of taste. (Combat and stuff seems fine, I just found the plot a bit thin and not particularly interesting.)

While it may seem a bit negative, I do still think EE is a good version and enjoy playing it and even using some of the new characters. I just wish it had reached a higher standard.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

I have the phone version. I haven't actually played it yet, so I can't really say how good a port it is, but it's a classic RPG on my phone. Apparently it has a lower price because it only has the OG Baldur's Gate content without the new content (which, as far as I've gathered, is not that great anyway).

GhostPantsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, I will try to get the GOG version so I can get both OG and Enhanced. Thank you for the info people. Also, that really sucks that I just missed the sale. Another question I have, as a curiousity, is how the multiplayer works with both versions?

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I would go with the Enhanced Editions on PC. It's the easiest to set up, and is probably the best from a balance perspective.

My personal approach, as one of the people who plays it probably once a year, is EE on my tablet, and BG TuTu on PC. Enhanced Edition has the "advantage" though that you won't overlevel in the first game, which happens in TuTu, and Enhanced Edition is basically the same thing as TuTu anyway (Original game updated to use 2s systems, kits, graphics etc).

The only reason not to go for EE really is that I prefer not to have to avoid the new characters,which are a bit dire imo.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

As far as I know in the Enhanced Edition, there's cross-platform multiplayer at least over TCP/IP. There's some settings before you start it to set up how it works, including splitting up the party member slots between the players. I believe you can also make additional player characters, but only the host will still be the main protagonist. I'm not sure about how it works in the original version, but it might not be as robust.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.