Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Nov 11, 2008

Nuts & Bolts takes the platformer series in a wild new direction, as Banjo and Kazooie return to battle Gruntilda using unique, player-customized vehicles.

Nuts and Bolts is a far better game than it has any right to be

Avatar image for porcelain_snake
    Porcelain_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By Porcelain_Snake

You've surprised me, game.

Before I start let me give you of an idea of the kinda guy I am. I would personally give every single member of rare during the n64 era oral sex. Back then they were the best dev in the world producing hit after hit, until the GameCube era when they hit a creative nadir and haven’t really recovered. I lay awake at night weeping over what rare have become, with most of its key people gone and those that remain being forced to lick bill gates tiny boots.  (Keep in mind this is my opinion you may well disagree but you're not changing my mind on this)

Anyway when I found out that the next banjo was going to be a vehicle builder my first reaction was to cry tears of blood. So I see this game in a bargain bin sale and pick it up to see just how much they raped my favourite characters, figuring I can return it within the week and get my money back.  

Much to my goddamn surprise it’s actually a good game. sure the level design is somewhat uncreative due to the freedom you have with the vehicles, the lack of real plot or stakes is annoying and  the physics can get stupid sometimes with things launching when they shouldn’t and getting stuck to objects, but the goddamn vehicle creator!  

When I started I was overwhelmed and scared to deviate from blueprints, but through subtle modding I gained the confidence to create my own vehicles from scratch, mixing and matching parts till I got just the right combination. The sheer triumph you feel when you spend half an hour tweaking your car till it’s just right for the challenge is beyond anything I’ve experienced. But the sheer freedom the creator gives you is amazing.

Plus the fact rare constantly takes the piss out of itself by leaving references such as grabbed by ghoulies disks in garbage bins doesn’t hurt either. 

In conclusion while this isn’t the sequel I wanted, it’s still a damn fine game and I hope they make another combining the old school game play with the vehicle creator.

Porcelain_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Porcelain_Snake

Before I start let me give you of an idea of the kinda guy I am. I would personally give every single member of rare during the n64 era oral sex. Back then they were the best dev in the world producing hit after hit, until the GameCube era when they hit a creative nadir and haven’t really recovered. I lay awake at night weeping over what rare have become, with most of its key people gone and those that remain being forced to lick bill gates tiny boots.  (Keep in mind this is my opinion you may well disagree but you're not changing my mind on this)

Anyway when I found out that the next banjo was going to be a vehicle builder my first reaction was to cry tears of blood. So I see this game in a bargain bin sale and pick it up to see just how much they raped my favourite characters, figuring I can return it within the week and get my money back.  

Much to my goddamn surprise it’s actually a good game. sure the level design is somewhat uncreative due to the freedom you have with the vehicles, the lack of real plot or stakes is annoying and  the physics can get stupid sometimes with things launching when they shouldn’t and getting stuck to objects, but the goddamn vehicle creator!  

When I started I was overwhelmed and scared to deviate from blueprints, but through subtle modding I gained the confidence to create my own vehicles from scratch, mixing and matching parts till I got just the right combination. The sheer triumph you feel when you spend half an hour tweaking your car till it’s just right for the challenge is beyond anything I’ve experienced. But the sheer freedom the creator gives you is amazing.

Plus the fact rare constantly takes the piss out of itself by leaving references such as grabbed by ghoulies disks in garbage bins doesn’t hurt either. 

In conclusion while this isn’t the sequel I wanted, it’s still a damn fine game and I hope they make another combining the old school game play with the vehicle creator.

Avatar image for buttonsmcboomboom
    ButtonsMcBoomBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By ButtonsMcBoomBoom

So this is about you being gay?

I agree that the nuts and bolts is fun though, I should probably finish it sometime.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By ProfessorEss

It's an awesome AWESOME game.
    It really takes off as soon as you overcome the fear of making your own vehicles.

Another incredible, and incredibly underrated RARE title.

Porcelain_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Porcelain_Snake

yes, i am gay for rare. im not ashamed.

TorgoGrooves89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TorgoGrooves89

You've convinced me to take a look at the game. If i can find it cheap i might pick it up.
    Porcelain_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Porcelain_Snake
    @TorgoGrooves89 said:
    " You've convinced me to take a look at the game. If i can find it cheap i might pick it up. "
    theres a demo on xbox live. i dont know if its any good but there you go
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By ajamafalous

After the first two sentences, I'd read all I needed to.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I'm in the same boat as you, the game is great but damn do I wish Rare were still with Nintendo, I'll never have a proper Donkey Kong Country again : (

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.