Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Banjo-Kazooie

Franchise »

Banjo-Kazooie follows the adventures of Banjo the honey bear and his brash breegull friend Kazooie as they stop the plans of the witch Gruntilda. The game is a mix of platforming, puzzles, and action-adventure genres.

Will we ever see the bear and bird return?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Hizang

Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie are my two favourite games of all time. I enjoyed Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts but sadly the general public didn't share my feelings. I would love to see another Banjo-Kazooie game but I really don't think that we will ever see a Banjo-Kazooie game again, how about you?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By AndrewB

We will see Nuts and Bolts Tooie someday. Mark my words.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By morningstar

Im gonna say yes. Someday.

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By DarkShaper

Banjo Kazooie Kinect, now you can experience carrying a bear up a sharp incline first hand!

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By wefwefasdf

I hope so.

@DarkShaper said:

Banjo Kazooie Kinect, now you can experience carrying a bear up a sharp incline first hand!

That's not funny. Don't joke about something like that.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hizang

@DarkShaper said:

The Kinect would possibly be the end of the franchise or the opposite if it catches on, remember Viva Pinata Party Animals?

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DarkShaper

@Hizang said:

@DarkShaper said:

The Kinect would possibly be the end of the franchise or the opposite if it catches on, remember Viva Pinata Party Animals?

I do remember that, but it's not I Kinect game. Also I was thinking less mini game collection and more platformer where to move you run in place like in those sports collections.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hizang

@DarkShaper said:

@Hizang said:

@DarkShaper said:

I do remember that, but it's not I Kinect game. Also I was thinking less mini game collection and more platformer where to move you run in place like in those sports collections.

I do see the game what you mean but the business people behind this will just see cute animals and Kinect and say..

"We could be the next Rabbids!"

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#9  Edited By alistercat

Possibly, in a cameo role or another reboot 10 years down the line. Unlikely to be a game people want.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Nuts and Bolts was great. Hope to see Banjo again someday.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hizang

If a new game was made would it be a 3D platformer of a veichle based game?

codynewill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By codynewill

@Hizang said:

If a new game was made would it be a 3D platformer of a veichle based game?

I think you put too much faith in the people making the decisions about the franchise. If anything, they'll put out a Banjo-Kazooie Kinect game for the next console, and the 3D platforming won't factor in much. I hate to be so pessimistic, especially being a huge fan of the original two games, but I can't believe anyone is pushing hard for another traditional BK game.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By ProfessorEss

I fear we won't. Despite BK:N&B being fun, original and highly polished it just seems you can't sell these types of games outside of the Nintendo platforms.

I'm a massive fan of the original two but I would actually prefer to see a sequel to Nuts & Bolts. I love 3D platformers but I've played many of them. Nuts & Bolts is like nothing else I've ever played and I could definitely handle some more of it.

(I'd also love to play another Kameo and would absolutely kill for another Viva Pinata)

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hizang

@ProfessorEsssaid:

I fear we won't. Despite BK:N&B being fun, original and highly polished it just seems you can't sell these types of games outside of the Nintendo platforms.

I don't know, Ratchet and Clank did pretty good, but I see what you mean.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course there's going to be another Banjo game. Though I have a strong suspicion that the Nuts & Bolts haters are going to wish they got another Nuts & Bolts when they see what's coming next.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember what could have been. Feel it in your bones. 
    Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Contrarian

The only way it could be worth it is if they sell it back to Nintendo. They know how to look after such franchises.

Nuts & Bolts was a little tedious, but wasn't horrid.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#18  Edited By Hailinel

I'm guessing not. Microsoft seems content to let that ship sail off.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#19  Edited By ArbitraryWater

If Rare still exists as an entity in a few years... they may have a cameo in the Xbox 720's mini game compilation?

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By Phatmac

Nope.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By tebbit

If we do, I don't think it will be by Rare. Microsoft have got them too busy being a soulless internal development company.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#22  Edited By Hailinel

Slightly off-topic, but anyone know what exactly happened to the Stamper brothers? They left Rare to "pursue other opportunities" back in 2007 and seem to have disappeared into the ether.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DukesT3

I fucking hope so. WII U!

GhosthH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GhosthH

Only perhaps on XBLA. Besides Mario, traditional 3D platformers are largely irrelevant to the market at large. The 3D platformer can only be made relevant again by bringing new things to the table. Perhaps a 3D platformer which is also an RPG or some other fusion of genres. The only way Microsoft will bring the IP back to retail is under this circumstance IMO. One thing Microsoft has shown is that they won't push retail titles which are remnants of the past and not relevant to the retail market. That's why they're successful.

@Hizang: Pretty sure R&C All For One sold fu$k all. I'd expect that Sly game to do the same.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By spankingaddict

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

HOLY SHI...... I'm suddenly really sad ; (

Seriously , remember the snow world music in Banjo-Kazooie ? That's always what I think of when I see Banjo-Kazooie ...

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#26  Edited By jacksukeru
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By JasonR86

Probably. But it will be in a form that consumers will complain about. An actual platformer would only be released on XBLA because Microsoft seems like the type of company that would think that a platformer is too simple to be a full-retail product. With this downloadable game, consumers would complain that it wouldn't be good enough in some way (long enough, polished enough, etc. etc. i.e. the normal complaints people have over XBLA games). For a full-retail game Microsoft would likely require that the game have some sort of gimmick. Some 'thing' that would make it worth the cost. Last time it was the vehicle-building mechanic. Now it will likely revolve around the Kinect or the next-generation equivalent. For this scenario consumers would complain that the experience is too gimmicky, that it isn't a platformer, and that the game isn't as good as the first two N64 games that are both veiled in a nice, all-encompassing rose-tint.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that no matter what happens to this franchise people won't be happy and, if a game is made, it won't sell as well as Microsoft probably expects it should.

GhosthH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By GhosthH

If Microsoft were going to use it as a Kinect title, they would have done so already or it will be for the 360 (unlikely). Selling such a game aimed at casual audiences on next-gen system seems far-fetched to me considering the early adopters (video game/tech nerds) wouldn't care about a game controlled in such a way, not to mention existing in a somewhat irrelevant genre. I expect the Kinect to be bundled next gen (and perform better) and most of it's uses will be peripheral, ie. head tracking in FPS and racing games with a few 'Kinect only' releases here and there, ie. Ryse and XBLA games.

Kinect games like suggested (BK) wouldn't sell worth a damn on the Durango in it's early years and Microsoft would be stupid not to know that.

L44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By L44

@ArbitraryWater said:

cameo

I'm going to hope you wrote that unintentionally in something Rare related.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JasonR86

@GhosthH said:

If Microsoft were going to use it as a Kinect title, they would have done so already or it will be for the 360. Selling such a game aimed at casual audiences on next-gen system seems far-fetched to me considering the early adopters (video game/tech nerds) wouldn't care about a game controlled in such a way.

You remember the Wii? I'm sure Microsoft does. Early adopters are going to include the casual audience or Microsoft will have problems on their hands.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

I hope so, man. Banjo-Kazooie was my favorite game for years and years. Nuts and Bolts was a lot of fun, but the physics made me want to tear my hair out sometimes. I was similarly torn with Viva Pinata actually. Really cool, but absolutely infuriating when the pinatas would fight each other / wouldn't listen to me. Anyway, a new platformer or a new Nuts and Bolts (with more forgiving physics) would make me very happy.

GhosthH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GhosthH

@JasonR86: What's the Wii got to do with it? For all intents and purposes the 360 is Microsofts Wii (and another revision is likely). It has a growing library of casual games, will be able to be sold cheaply, has good enough graphics for casual audiences and all the other benefits which come with the system. What benefits could they gain from aiming at a casual audience from the get go? The tech would have to be undercooked to sell cheaply and that is just far-fetched considering all the rumours going around the grapevine and the fact it WOULD BE COMPETING WITH THE 360. I would expect up-ports of casual 360 games for sure, but to assign some notion that the Durango needs to go strongly for a casual audience from the get go seems I dunno, a bit silly to be honest and not representative Microsofts MO (emphasis on advancing tech/features/software). This philosophy also feeds into their other businesses (including OS).

Seriously come on now, Microsofts has a huge market in shooters, RPG's etc and Halo in particular. Advanced tech is what they'll do, and they'll be successful doing it IMO (and more casual audiences may adopt even at a high price due to the features). Also, the Wii U is already aiming for the casual market. But we're getting off topic here...

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope so.

Generiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By Generiko

Yes. At this E3 Microsoft will announce Banjo-Fouriee, Jet Force Gemini Dos, and Perfect Dark Fourever....

:(

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By WinterSnowblind

They said they were done working on classic franchises if N&B didn't sell. I think Rare are partially to blame there, since I think a lot more people would have been interested if it were a more traditional platformer.. But all of their 360 games were pretty amazing and all of them sold criminally low amounts. It's hard to blame them for moving onto making avatar items and things that actually turn a profit.

I completely blame the fans who kept proclaiming "Rare is dead!" while ignoring the wonderful games they were still making. You guys killed Rare, not Microsoft.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By Vexxan

A 3DS remake of the first/second game would sell millions. Millions!

Think of all the Brad bucks!

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hizang

People should note that Banjo-Kazooie is the BEST GAME EVER MADE before commenting any more.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39  Edited By NoobSauceG7

I wish...

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JasonR86

@GhosthH said:

@JasonR86: What's the Wii got to do with it? For all intents and purposes the 360 is Microsofts Wii (and another revision is likely). It has a growing library of casual games, will be able to be sold cheaply, has good enough graphics for casual audiences and all the other benefits which come with the system. What benefits could they gain from aiming at a casual audience from the get go? The tech would have to be undercooked to sell cheaply and that is just far-fetched considering all the rumours going around the grapevine and the fact it WOULD BE COMPETING WITH THE 360. I would expect up-ports of casual 360 games for sure, but to assign some notion that the Durango needs to go strongly for a casual audience from the get go seems I dunno, a bit silly to be honest and not representative Microsofts MO (emphasis on advancing tech/features/software). This philosophy also feeds into their other businesses (including OS).

Seriously come on now, Microsofts has a huge market in shooters, RPG's etc and Halo in particular. Advanced tech is what they'll do, and they'll be successful doing it IMO (and more casual audiences may adopt even at a high price due to the features). Also, the Wii U is already aiming for the casual market. But we're getting off topic here...

Microsoft wants the success Nintendo has seen with the Wii. That is the reason the Kinect as made and it has been a huge success for them. This is why the Wii is relevant. BK is the safest, simplest franchise Microsoft owns that they could bring to the Kinect with the hope families and kids will play the game. Microsft's MO is to make money and the casual audience is a part of that formula.

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By drac96

I would pay all of the money to get a Banjo-Kazooie and Viva Pinata mashup.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.