Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bastion

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Jul 20, 2011

Bastion is a story about a Kid, his hammer, and a world gone all kinds of wrong.

Is the narrator...(end of game spoilers)

SharkOnWheels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SharkOnWheels

...the future version of The Kid?

At some point near the end of game The Narrator says something along the lines of, "Did I ever tell you about when I was the Kid's age?" which I thought seemed kind of odd and out of place. Also, he says it after the screen goes black and before the loading screen, adding a lot of emphasize to it. It would explain how The Narrator seems to know every detail about The Kid's adventure and it's not really a stretch to say they resemble each other.

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Bass

It's hard to say since we didn't see any other Caelodonians in the rest of the game. I think you might be onto something though, considering that the Narrator mentions in the Who Kknows Where for the Kid that white hair was unusual, and they both happen to have that hair.

Interesting idea. Maybe some other's have some input on it.

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By cinemandrew

@Bass said:

It's hard to say since we didn't see any other Caelodonians in the rest of the game. I think you might be onto something though, considering that the Narrator mentions in the Who Kknows Where for the Kid that white hair was unusual, and they both happen to have that hair.

Interesting idea. Maybe some other's have some input on it.

I think he's just old, so his hair has turned white.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Rockdalf

I always got the feeling he was his dad.  It would give his father an alibi and kind of fit the theme about the sufferings of war.  Another reason I thought that is when he talks about how he says he's a stranger asking the Kid to do things, then points out the fact that he hasn't even asked him his name.  Why would he specifically not ask a person he nicknamed "The Kid" what there name was?  Maybe he didn't want to know if it was his?

RafaelMei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By RafaelMei
    @Rockdalf To me, the fact that he doesn't The Kid's is even more of an indication they're the same person. It also leaves an opening for that, by never knowing his name we can never be sure they're not the same person.
    Joeku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Joeku

If you go the restoration ending time could go back far enough that the Kid would eventually age enough to become Ricks(Rucks?), I guess.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By bkbroiler

There is a point in the game where Rucks says something like "And yet I had rudely not even asked The Kid his name." Don't know if that helps any one.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By buft

In the story it indicates that Rucks is the architect of the rippling walls and the bastion. again that doesnt rule it out but it wasnt my assumption.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Slaker117

If you beat the "Who Knows Where" thing for the Kid's past, he says something at the end about wanting to be able to remember what the kid did for them. Seems like an odd sentiment to have if he really was him.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Milkman

I noticed that line too and I thought the same thing. But I don't know, I'm not sure about it in retrospect.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Slaker117 said:

If you beat the "Who Knows Where" thing for the Kid's past, he says something at the end about wanting to be able to remember what the kid did for them. Seems like an odd sentiment to have if he really was him.

Yeah this pretty much put the idea behind me.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12  Edited By Yanngc33

That game lost me at the end with the whole time machine mumbo jumbo and I was so convinced that the narrator was going to end up saying something shocking that I literally read every word in each subtitle. But no I don't think he's kid, I think he's just nostalgic

FrankWeidner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By FrankWeidner

I really think he's the father of The Kid. I thought they were hinting that he was the future version of him too, but that doesn't jive with the restoration ending. Time goes backwards in the restoration ending, but your 3 (or 4) surviving characters cease to be - they emphasize that pretty strongly - so it doesn't make sense for him to be a future version of The Kid. Him being his dad makes a lot more sense. Pointing out that The Kid never knew his father, saying that the kid reminds him of himself when he was young, the general sense of pride throughout the voice-over really makes me think that he's his dad.  

Also, it's great that they left it open to interpretation. Almost any other game wouldn't be able to resist saying, "Oh, I'm his dad, by the way." Leaving it vague is much more fun, and less predictable.

disgustoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By disgustoid

I was fully expecting this to be a big reveal at some point late in the game. Unfortunately it doesn't really work though, beyond the shock value.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By I_smell

Nah, they both have some pretty different points o view. Rucks wanted me to leave Zulf, but I didn't.

@GilbertMordinAndSullivan said:

I really think he's the father of The Kid. I thought they were hinting that he was the future version of him too, but that doesn't jive with the restoration ending. Time goes backwards in the restoration ending, but your 3 (or 4) surviving characters cease to be - they emphasize that pretty strongly - so it doesn't make sense for him to be a future version of The Kid. Him being his dad makes a lot more sense. Pointing out that The Kid never knew his father, saying that the kid reminds him of himself when he was young, the general sense of pride throughout the voice-over really makes me think that he's his dad. Also, it's great that they left it open to interpretation. Almost any other game wouldn't be able to resist saying, "Oh, I'm his dad, by the way." Leaving it vague is much more fun, and less predictable.

I think IF Rucks is the kid's dad, neither of them know it.

I don't think he is anyway, I think it's a better story if they're just two strangers that form a family-strong bond.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By SteamPunkJin

I just figured Caelandions have white hair and tan skin, the Ura have black hair and pale skin. 

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By Sooperspy

I believe that he is the future version. Especially since, at the end, he says "Did I ever tell you about when I was his age" or something along those lines.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.