What was your favourite part? (spoilers)

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By I_smell

This game felt kinda small all the way through, but it definately had a lot of stand-out moments and cool set-pieces n twists.

I THINK my favourite part was when you get to the wilds, and the kid gets knocked out. I'm not 100% sure what happens, it seems like Zulf's messin with him? Or maybe he's having a nightmare? I don't know. But it opens with

"Most stories supposed to start from the beginning. It's [sssooooo simple] with this one." and ends with this:

That whole section felt uneasy in a cool way. Anyway; might aswell post this here aswell:

When I got up to this bit I decided that I can start reccomending this game to everyone.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Vexxan

You said it my man, Zia's Song is the best part of Bastion.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By Sooperspy
@Vegsen said:

You said it my man, Zia's Song is the best part of Bastion.

This. Such an awesome part.
I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By I_smell

It really reminded me of a scene in I THINK Final Fantasy 9?

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Nate

Zia's song, for sure. And I also loved the part where if you choose to rescue Zulf  all the Ura eventually just let you go. That was a great moment. Also - anyone catch the one Ura who did shoot at the kid a little late, and the Ura around him smacked him. Hilarious!

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By project343

I guess this thread, by nature, is spoiler-alerted.

So I'm going to say the outcome of choosing to save Zulf. The tension, fear, and surprize were unlike any other experience I've had this year.

The moment is up there with Braid's ending, as well as the entire ending stretch and credit roll of Red Dead Redemption.

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bushpusherr

Carrying Zulf through the sea of enemies.  Especially as you go up the ramp after they've stopped firing on you, and when one enemy on the cliff tries to shoot at you, his own fellow solider behind him kills him.  This is also where the second best song (1st is Zia's obviously) plays, the song about going home.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Dany

When you carry zulf and everyone stops shooting as the kid preforms a nice gesture, the song is home sweet home

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By phrali

would have to be the Ura siege. i always liked my pet squirt and pecker, and when they didn't make it i was soooooo sad i stopped playing for like 10 minutes and just stared at the screen, like "i want them to come back and play with me....." 

it was a sad moment but it connected with me emotionally in a way that very few games do, so it has to be my favorite.

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gav47

When you first find the singer.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DeF

@phrali said:

would have to be the Ura siege. i always liked my pet squirt and pecker, and when they didn't make it i was soooooo sad i stopped playing for like 10 minutes and just stared at the screen, like "i want them to come back and play with me....." it was a sad moment but it connected with me emotionally in a way that very few games do, so it has to be my favorite.

That moment really surprised me. During the carnage I heard the narrator say "squirt didn't make it" and while slicing I just thought "what really?!? MY squirt died??! WHAT!!!??" and after things got quiet, he really wasn't there anymore. Then on my NG+ playthrough, they all surived (even though I had all the idols turned on?) and I was really happy.

Thinking about it, Bastion has a lot of these very memorable, potentially but not necessarily emotional moments. The only definitive one being when you come across Zia and the song starts playing. That seems to get everyone (because you can't miss it, probably).

But I agree, saving Zulf rewards you with an awesome sequence - way better than if you choose to leave him behind. I love it when you're doing something very "dramatic" (for lack of a better word) in a game and suddenly a song starts playing.

This was also the first time a NG+ changed the experience completely. Knowing what you know from the first time through, you notice a lot more hints in the narration. By now you know that he is telling the story to Zia and stuff he says early on that sounded weird initially makes so much more sense knowing that. I only noticed it in the second playthrough in Zia's level - right before you pick up the book, he says something like "ain't no need to talk about what comes next" and he ends the narration for the level with "and besides, it's like the song says" (which by accident was right before the song's final line) "we'll be there before to long" ... I had goosebumps. Such a perfect moment.

@I_smell said:

I THINK my favourite part was when you get to the wilds, and the kid gets knocked out. I'm not 100% sure what happens, it seems like Zulf's messin with him? Or maybe he's having a nightmare? I don't know. But it opens with

The Kid gets knocked out from those weird stinky green smoke clouds around the shard. Those seem to induce some kind of fever dream. I don't think this relates to Zulf at all.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By I_smell

I had the Bastion ambush and a couple other key things spoiled for me because the Gamespot video review is like ALL END-OF-GAME FOOTAGE for some fucking stupid reason.

DefaultProphet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By DefaultProphet

@bushpusherr said:

Carrying Zulf through the sea of enemies. Especially as you go up the ramp after they've stopped firing on you, and when one enemy on the cliff tries to shoot at you, his own fellow solider behind him kills him. This is also where the second best song (1st is Zia's obviously) plays, the song about going home.
stoydell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By stoydell

The entire level where you meet the Singer. I usually don't get so immersed in games that I stop "playing" them and begin "experiencing" them, but this moment had a Zen quality to it. I stopped paying attention health and what buttons I was pushing and what I was seeing and hearing and shit just happened. It was perfect.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By MEATBALL

The attack on the Bastion, I hadn't realised I'd become so attached to the place. When you carry Zulf to the skyway as the Ura look on was a pretty amazing moment.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Samaritan

Bastion is so full of awesome moments that it's hard to pick just one. But the one that's had the longest impact on me is definitely the introduction to the Singer. Zia's is so iconic now and will probably stick with me as a great video game song for a long, long time.

planetary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By planetary

On top of the other things mentioned here, the endgame, where you get the revelations of the Narrator, about his role in creating the Bastion, it's other purposes, and the nice little reveal that the narration is him talking to Zia to pass the time while the Kid's away on the last mission. And then the final choice. Felt weighty. All in all, a nice ending sequence.

tuesdaythe5th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tuesdaythe5th

The River stage was great. running that little boat.

inevpatoria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By inevpatoria

Basically the entirety of the last hour of the game. Everything from choosing to save/leave Zulf and choosing to reboot/abandon the Bastion.

The ending of this game was so fucking brilliant.

Mowgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mowgers

It's been said before, but choosing to save Zulf and the sequence that follows is one of the best emotive moments I've had in a videogame, interactive or otherwise. Just incredible. Doing my new game+ and gonna choose the other option, but I know I'll feel real bad when I do.

inevpatoria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By inevpatoria

@Mowgers said:

It's been said before, but choosing to save Zulf and the sequence that follows is one of the best emotive moments I've had in a videogame, interactive or otherwise. Just incredible. Doing my new game+ and gonna choose the other option, but I know I'll feel real bad when I do.

Same!

I sat there for a good while and stared at Zulf there on the ground. And when the option came up onscreen, I literally said aloud, "Well, I can't just leave him here."

The character development in this game is so subtle, but so effective.

ChillyUK7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ChillyUK7

Heres some of the top of my head.
When Zia's song starts to play (reminded me of when a song started to play in RDR when I was riding through a storm).
Saving Zulf as the Ora cease firing on me.
The Evacuation ending which promised a new world and great things to come. 
Finding out about the Kid, Zia and Zulf in Who Knows Where and barely surviving a few times. 
Shooting an explosive dart into an Ura and leading him into a group of the killing them all. 
Making it through a battle with enemies without taking a hit and hearing the narrator say 'Made it through without a scratch'.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By time allen

omg change the thread name. now i know this game has parts what's the point in playing it?

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By rjayb89

Whoops. I should have saved Zulf. Oh well, fucked 'em up real good.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By SlightConfuse

@Dany said:

When you carry zulf and everyone stops shooting as the kid preforms a nice gesture, the song is home sweet home

this was my favorite part as well, well done

CornishRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By CornishRocker

The most stand-out point to me was the ending. I spent about twenty minutes weighing up the outcomes for both scenarios. I've never been so invested into a moral choice in a game before, so that's what makes it my pick.

Other than that, walking through all those Ura at the end with Zulf was high up there, and also when you first gather all the pieces of the Bastion together.

Of course, Zia's entrance is simply beautiful.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Tennmuerti

Zia's song and carrying Zulf will definitely stick in my mind for a long while.
Damn this game is great.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BulletproofMonk
@rjayb89 said:

Whoops. I should have saved Zulf. Oh well, fucked 'em up real good.

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By Stahlbrand

@phrali said:

would have to be the Ura siege. i always liked my pet squirt and pecker, and when they didn't make it i was soooooo sad i stopped playing for like 10 minutes and just stared at the screen, like "i want them to come back and play with me....." it was a sad moment but it connected with me emotionally in a way that very few games do, so it has to be my favorite.

Yeah, that one for sure.

Second pick would be the first time I went through the smoking pipe challenge, the wave/narration/wave thing, combined with the tight combat mechanics... ah, so good.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dingofighter

The part where you carry Zulf through a hail of arrows while that awesome song plays in the background. Holy shit that was so goddamn great.

I also liked the part where the Kid is dreaming or hallucinating or whatever and the narrator says that the Kid is a simple thief for taking the shield and then implying that he murders that bartender or whoever that was.

Still, the best part was hands-down the Zulf carrying. That was pretty much "The Killer" done right.

Jotun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jotun

Obviously the introduction of Zia and chosing to save Zulf were amazing moments. Another great moment was finally hearing Zia's voice at the ending. I don't know about anyone else but actually hearing her talk made the decision at the end much harder to make. I don't even know why, really. Maybe it's just easier to be disconnected from something if there isn't a voice to attach it to. 

It's needless to say that Bastion has some of the best moments I've played in a game this year. The scenes where the music plays reminds me of those great sequences in Red Dead Redemption.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.