Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Aug 25, 2009

Batman: Arkham Asylum puts you behind the cowl of the iconic Dark Knight, fighting his way through Arkham Asylum to stop the Joker from enacting a sinister plot that would have grave consequences for Gotham City.

Is it worth getting a PhysX card for this game?

wosifat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By wosifat

Well, not JUST for this game...
    I'm looking for a video card.  Right now, I only have the Radeon 4200 on the motherboard.  I can somewhat play this game, but it's slow.  GTA IV is worse.  Batman, I can at least get looking halfway decent or running somewhat smooth.  GTA is still ugly and still slow.  So, I wanna go ahead and get a proper video card.  Still having trouble deciding on one, though.  In my inexperience, I was wanting to go with ATI, but I know Arkham Asylum has PhyxX effects that pretty much only work on NVIDIA cards.  Would it be worth getting a card that has PhysX?  How many other games have PhysX?
    By the way, right now, I only have an old 17" CRT, and I probably won't get a monitor bigger than 22" or so.

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By abdo

Not a lot of games have PhysX, and personally I don't really think it adds anything to the game.  

But any way, I recommend the ATI HD4850. It'll play any modern game with no problems and it's the best value-for-money graphics card out there as far as I know. I was gonna get it myself, but it's out of stock everywhere here, so I added a little more and got a HD5750, since it's just a little better and has DX11 too.

Just make sure you have a decent power supply.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Gizmo
    @abdo said:
    " Not a lot of games have PhysX, and personally I don't really think it adds anything to the game.   But any way, I recommend the ATI HD4850. It'll play any modern game with no problems and it's the best value-for-money graphics card out there as far as I know. I was gonna get it myself, but it's out of stock everywhere here, so I added a little more and got a HD5750, since it's just a little better and has DX11 too. Just make sure you have a decent power supply. "
    +1 on this, a very happy 5750 owner here too.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By HitmanAgent47

It does use physics, like walls and debri flying around, papers flying around, bugs on walls and a few neat effects, however you can live without it. Your card is too slow anyways and when there is physics, it really slows down the game with nvidia cards. Your best bet instead of investing in a new phsyics card is to get a new card, maybe an nvidia card instead.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By monetarydread

Unless you find it for cheap, a PhysX card is useless. If your mobo supports SLI, an 9800GT costs $100 and does a better job.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130535&cm_re=9800gt-_-14-130-535-_-Product
      Unfortunately you need a mobo that supports SLI, and another Nvidia GFX card to use PsysX though. As someone who recently replaced his 8800gt, with a GTX 470, I can safely say it was money well spent. The real reason to invest in Nvidia right now though is 3d Vision, not PsysX. If you are also looking for a new monitor (avoid the Samsung model) it adds more to gaming than any other graphical add on since the 3d video card was invented.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

In the case of Batman:AA, it depends on whether you like interactive smoke/fog (though UT2003 had that like eight years ago) and paper flying around somewhat realistically. The bugs on the wall are there without PhysX, too - they are not done with PhysX. The missing fog is probably the biggest difference. I played twice through the game with PhysX off (too much drain on performance) and I didn't really miss it. 

So, no. Don't buy another card for PhysX allone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.