Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham City

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Oct 18, 2011

When Gotham City's slums have been transformed into a secluded super-prison, it's up to Batman to uncover its conspiracy in the sequel to 2009's Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Anyone else not really getting into Arkham City?

• 79 results
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Seppli

On a more serious note. Mechanically superior, structurally inferior to its predecessor. Throwing the player instantly into OCD wonderland without a proper tutorial isn't ideal.

Rocksteady's Batman games belong to the rare breed of games which make me go for 100% content completion. There's just so much more to 100% this time around, but some of it feels like filler.

Outstanding game and a proficient time killer.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Seppli

@MrKlorox said:

Haven't played AC, but AA certainly wasn't amazing or revolutionary like the press made it out to be. I think folks are finally starting to see it for what it is, without the bat goggles on. Just a good superhero game, and nothing more.

For OCD completionists, the Batman games are heaven. The Riddler stuff was pretty much perfect in AA. In AC there is way more of it, but more of it feels like filler too.

If you just go for story completion, you miss like 50% of what makes the Batman games outstanding. It's Rocksteady's secret sauce. The magic ingredient.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Chop

Yeah, I don't like it. I'm at 30% completion and I don't plan to play anymore and I'm someone who platinum'd Asylum.

The open world hurts a lot more than it helps. The whole game feels like a disjointed mess and you end up spending far more time traveling around than clearing rooms using stealth or fighting mobs. Seriously, there are how many stealth rooms in the main story, two? Plus, this ain't Assassin's Creed. Just travelling around isn't fun...at all.

They threw everything Batman into the game and that also makes it feel less focused than Asylum was. I don't need every goddamn batman character ever guys, show some restraint.

All the mechanics are fine, I just feel that the structure completely kills it. They sacrificed a solid metroidvania story for shitty, boring side quests.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Seppli said:

@MrKlorox said:

Haven't played AC, but AA certainly wasn't amazing or revolutionary like the press made it out to be. I think folks are finally starting to see it for what it is, without the bat goggles on. Just a good superhero game, and nothing more.

For OCD completionists, the Batman games are heaven. The Riddler stuff was pretty much perfect in AA. In AC there is way more of it, but more of it feels like filler too.

If you just go for story completion, you miss like 50% of what makes the Batman games outstanding.

I 100%ed AA twice (the game froze unlocking the final achievement and corrupted my save data the first time) and I totally disagree. As a person with actual OCD who took tons of medication and therapy for it for years, having lots of stuff to find and complete is not really a good thing. I'll certainly admit Batman handles that stuff well by actually offering exposition for everything you find, as opposed to something like GTA where you only get something if you find the final collectible in a series. But that doesn't make any game great, just less tedious.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Seppli

@Chop:

Strongly disagree on your 'traveling complaint'. Once I figured out unlimited gliding, it's like my favorite thing in the game. I could just silently glide through the night keeping vigil forever. I am THE BATMAN!

advocatefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By advocatefish

This guy isn't feeling it. I tolerated the combat in the first one but in this one now i know I hate the combat. And the Penguin sucks so for that part of the game, for those who know, i can't stand it.

Everything else is awesome. And Batman is way more badass in this one.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Seppli

@MrKlorox said:

@Seppli said:

@MrKlorox said:

If you just go for story completion, you miss like 50% of what makes the Batman games outstanding.

I 100%ed AA twice (the game froze unlocking the final achievement and corrupted my save data the first time) and I totally disagree. As a person with actual OCD who took tons of medication and therapy for it for years, having lots of stuff to find and complete is not really a good thing. I'll certainly admit Batman handles that stuff well by actually offering exposition for everything you find, as opposed to something like GTA where you only get something if you find the final collectible in a series. But that doesn't make any game great, just less tedious.

Sorry to hear about your condition. I just got regular Gamer's OCD.

GTA would be like the best thing ever, if it was as upfront and clear as the Batman games about all it's completionist stuff. Really don't see how 'secrets' should be kept secret from anyone, especially if you've worked hard to make them awesome - here's me hoping Rockstar does follow Rocksteady's lead in GTA V's design.

That's the point though. Many of the secrets in AA and AC are an immense joy to figure out. Many of them feel like a labour of love. Hell - even Nintendo could learn a thing or two from some of Rocksteady's 'hidden secrets'. There's some genious ones in there.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By laserbolts
    @Veektarius

Wow. I think this is one of the best games ever. You guys are unfortunate.

I feel the same way. I fucking love batman though but still this game is awesome.
    SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By SmilingPig

I made the mistake of replaying Arkham asylum, and now I am burned out on Batman.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By CL60

Sure is a lot of nitpicking and people claiming things are problems when they really just suck at it in here.

Electric_Zen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#61  Edited By Electric_Zen

Arkham City is a slower start for me. I don't have much emotional investment in the story yet, so I'm enjoying the game but I'm not immersed.

Arkham Asylum kept things real simple and clean. Joker took over the Asylum, you're trapped inside with the crazies, hunt down the Joker, now GO! No problem holding my interest.

Arkham City uses an incredibly overcomplicated and absurd setup for why half of Gotham City is locked down with criminals. It could use a little more focus.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#62  Edited By nightriff

I just wrote a review for the game, feel the same way, I think it was just to safe of a sequel. More of a Temple of Doom rather than a Empire Strikes Back. Still good but doesn't grow where I was hoping it would

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#63  Edited By alexl86

I was thinking that for a few hours of playing... But then I went and finished it in one sitting.

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64  Edited By Neverpraying

I really do like this game but there is something that keeps pushing my away, I feel like it's the negative troll reviews of 0/10s on metacritc but I'm not sure if that's it even. The game is just so damn fun and insanely good, the best game I've played of the year, but there is something that does not sit right. I will blame the idiotic metacritic user reviews I have read for now. Then again I have what appears to be clinical depression so that could be it, but so many other people are saying similiar things in this thread so that can't be it completely.

I'll also add this, when ever I'm not playing the game I feel like Meh Arkham City, then I start playing it again and am like holy crap this game is awesome, well something sometimes does not sit right with me, but I get completely lost in the world and side missions, although one thing that I know does not sit right me with is grappling across town then smacking into the game barrier. which feels odd. Kind of like I'm a bat in a cage. but then the world is so big and so much to do...it does not make sense to me. I have completely mixed feelings on this game.

bunnymud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By bunnymud

@CaptainObvious said:

This game is fucking amazing.

Fucking this

cavemantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By cavemantom

I definitely enjoyed the game-- I mean, I beat it, and even at the 10 hour length that we get from games these days, I don't beat many.

It's gorgeous, the combat is still fun, and the story is a pretty huge improvement from what Arkham Asylum offered. All of the fanservice was a treat, too.

I did feel left a bit wanting, though, and there were a handful of segments in the game that I found to be either stupidly conveyed (the first trip to the Museum), or just plain frustrating (Sniper Alley, Catwoman's conclusion).

It isn't a bad game by any measure, but I do feel there's a crazy amount of hyperbole surrounding it. After finishing the campaign and most of the side stuff, I'm even more confused by things like Yahoo's infamous "6/5" score.

Also, what's the deal with mapping a quickfire attack to a double-tap of a trigger? Was that crap responsive on the 360's controller? It sure as hell wasn't on the PS3. I'd be flicking at R2 in as rapid succession as I could manage, but ol' Batman would still end up crouching instead of throwing a freeze grenade roughly half the time. That got particularly annoying in a certain boss fight that's based entirely on throwing freeze grenades quickly.

I don't want to come off like some jaded naysayer with my complaints, but I also don't want to spoil plot elements or solutions for people who don't want them, so I'll "spoiler" the details out:

The Museum

Punching a shark in the face is awesome. Totally awesome. What wasn't awesome was freeing one of the cops from a block of ice, being told to free the other two cops from blocks of ice, but not seeing an obvious path to do so. My problem wasn't that the solution wasn't obvious, but that two other unrelated paths were a billion times more obvious. To save the cops, I'd need to cut a rope suspending a raft with a Batarang, then use the raft to get to the iced cops. However, I interpreted that hanging raft as a hanging platform, as there was already another raft on the other side of the pool. For a while, I thought I might need to break a path through the ice to use that raft, but after being eaten a couple times, I realized that wasn't going to get the job done. Frustrated, and having struggled for enough time to assume that these frozen police weren't in any timer-related risk of dying, I decided to move on to the easily accessible left path.

That's when Batman decided to chime in-- something about "needing to save those men." I'd only gotten half way down the left hallway when he offered this warning, so I immediately feared that leaving the room would result in those cops dying while I was gone, so I turned back. Now, it was time to try the 2nd most obvious path: going straight across the room from the entry point. For some reason, this room where I would confront the Penguin was accessible to me, even though I couldn't possibly defeat him without saving Fries and accessing his suit. At a loss, and long past caring about Batman's pleas for the lives of those frozen cops, I took to the internet for answers.

I got them. I cut down the raft, I freed the guys, and then I continued on to the right hallway, leading to the exhibition room where Vic's suit was on display, and where I'd experience another dose of frustration due to Batman's vague and useless communication through the 4th wall.

In this room, three cops are being held hostage by Penguin thugs. As I would find out repeatedly, taking too long to knock them all out would allow one of them to grab one of the hostages and put a gun to the back of his head. If that thug sees you, he kills the hostage. It's impossible to sneak up on him, as the game will take control away from you once you enter a roughly three foot radius of the guy, even if he totally couldn't have possibly seen you. Dead hostage. Taunt death screen from Penguin, referencing a Batman death that never happened.

The only reason I was taking my time with the takedowns in this room was the presence of a Riddler informant. He would have to be the last one conscious for me to interrogate him, but it was always a non-informant putting a gun to the hostage's head. When the thug would do this, Batman would say something to the effect of, "The only way to keep him safe is to be sure they don't see me." Great. What do I do while they're not seeing me? Leave the room? OK. As I head for the door, Batman chimes in again, "I can't leave, I have to save these men!" Which is it, Bruce!? Save the men, or don't be seen? Is this another situation where your warning doesn't mean anything, and I could safely leave and re-enter this room with no harm coming to anyone? Are you actually advising me against my, and this cop's, best interest? That's not a very Batman thing to do.

So, I swooped down behind the thug, got locked out of controlling Batman for the few seconds it took for him to spin around and see me, and watched the guard get shot again. Taunt death screen from Penguin referencing a Batman death that never happened.

Finally, I just went in balls out, disregarding whatever information that Riddler informant might have. I knocked all of the bastards out in what seemed like less than a minute, ensuring none had time to grab hold of the hostages.

And that was my frustrating trip to the Arkham City Museum of Unnatural Game Design.

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#67  Edited By firecracker22

@TranceQuina: I can see that, except I think the focus is still there. I think they've done a good job having so much to do, but categorizing them in a manner that still allows it to be focused.

The main story seems just as focused as AA to me. And the sidequests seem just as focused as a self-contained story ought to be. I think it may feel overwhelming to some, because the canvas has gotten larger. But I do think it's enough like AA that it hasn't waned off course.

The riddles are everywhere, all the time. That part can be hard to ignore. Especially if you're as compulsive as me wanting to get them all.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By BrockNRolla

I really enjoyed Batman: AA, but admittedly, it took me a long time to warm up to Batman: AC. AA had a clear central antagonist; someone to guide the story and for Batman to hunt throughout the game. AC on the other hand lacks a sense of purpose early on. You see SO MANY characters in such a short period of time, see so many side mission icons popping up, and are so constantly faced with random Riddler challenges that it can be difficult to keep the thread of what you should be caring about.

I would say once I stopped thinking about what I wanted AC to be and accepted it for what it was bringing to the table -- crazy, semi-humorous, comic book style action -- I began to enjoy it a lot more. It's not a perfect game, and I'm not even sure I would include it in my favorite games of the year, but it does have a lot of positives to offer.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

My main problem with Arkham City is the city itself doesn't have nearly the character Arkham Asylum had.

Every detail in the asylum felt deliberate where as the Arkham City has a whole lot of boring nothing. Arkham Asylum had a much better sense of place and in that respect I believe opening the game up into a bigger play area really hurt it in the grand scheme of things.

Avatar image for vernschillinger
    VernSchillinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By VernSchillinger
    @CL60 said:

Sure is a lot of nitpicking and people claiming things are problems when they really just suck at it in here.

Sure are a lot of people being overly defensive about the games they like that tries to trivialize other people's problems to make themselves feel better in here.  
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#71  Edited By 234r2we232

It took me all of one hour to get into it. The worst part was that for that hour it felt overwhelming. But as soon as I picked up on the beats (main story, side missions, riddler trophies, etc), I understood and enjoyed every second of it :)

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#72  Edited By ozzdog12

@TranceQuina: I'm having the exact opposite problem. I'm having a hard time putting it down

But my biggest complaint, is that I am not Batman.....IRL

TranceQuina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By TranceQuina
    @firecracker22 That's fair. I guess what I mean is that as focused as the *story* might be, the *game* is not.

Are we supposed to commit to this story? Are we supposed to find trophies? This is really my issue with sandbox games in general though: Instead of guiding us through something that's truly defined and meant to be experienced a certain thought-out way, everything is dumped into one big toybox and the game sacrifices the point, the objective and the deeper potential of any single experience just for the sake of "total freedom."
    TranceQuina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By TranceQuina
    @firecracker22 In short, the story is fine, but there's a lot of gameplay filler around it that I feel gets in the way.
    WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#75  Edited By WightnNerdy

I feel sorry for any of you that aren't enjoying the game. I thought it was exceptional.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Agent47

@Veektarius said:

Wow. I think this is one of the best games ever. You guys are unfortunate.

Yeah I'm going to stop reading all these depressing, head scratcher comments and just go back to loving the game.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By CptBedlam

@LordXavierBritish said:

My main problem with Arkham City is the city itself doesn't have nearly the character Arkham Asylum had. Every detail in the asylum felt deliberate where as the Arkham City has a whole lot of boring nothing. Arkham Asylum had a much better sense of place and in that respect I believe opening the game up into a bigger play area really hurt it in the grand scheme of things.

This is actually the only issue I have with the as well (didn't play a lot though... lost interest because Dark Souls is consuming my life).

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By cikame

I don't know why i don't like it because i loved Arkham Asylum, i think being locked in a prison you expect to have a fight around every corner but with this extra freedom, the fact that the encounters are exactly the same as before is unfortunate.

I spend some time getting myself into a decent position to attack groups of enemies but no matter how you approach it in the end you always just end up in the middle of a brawl, i sometimes throw a smoke bomb in there to try and spice things up but i usually just end up being punched out of doing a takedown on someone.

There's no freedom in the gliding, the riddler trophies and puzzles are a struggle, batman has terrible lines unless you're way into "i'm going to take you down" "i'm going to get you" or "you won't get away with this".

Just having a hard time finding a reason to continue playing.

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#79  Edited By Cwaff

I am absolutely dreadful at the game which is sort of letting my experience down. I feel like if I stop dying so often and try and play more methodically I could have a lot more fun.

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#80  Edited By Neverpraying

Over the past few days I really got into this game, then some things happened with forums about the game, and the ending kind of threw me off balance.

Eh still plan on playing Arkham City more and getting as many of the Riddler Trophies I can.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.