Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham City

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Oct 18, 2011

When Gotham City's slums have been transformed into a secluded super-prison, it's up to Batman to uncover its conspiracy in the sequel to 2009's Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Ending (Spoliers)

• 64 results
    Ruukie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Ruukie

So just finished the main story line and wow pretty awesome in theory they've killed off 2 characters I know Mark Hamill said he'd never do the Joker again after this but killing him off seems insane or could it be another fake Joker?

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By N7

I don't know for sure. All I know is we'll have to wait for Arkham Nation to find out.

myslead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By myslead

@N7 said:

I don't know for sure. All I know is we'll have to wait for Arkham Nation to find out.

is that a known fact that the next game will be named Arkham Nation ?

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bestostero

@myslead: I think he was just joking, but Arkham Nation would be a nice title lol

Anyways, Joker can't be dead, Talia definitely won't stay dead. You can bet Ra's al Ghul will take care of Talia like he does himself with the Lazarus Pit. and Joker....I definitely think its another fake.

One thing that was pointed out to me is that there was a positive pregnancy test that was found that is supposedly Harley Quinn's...

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrMazz

No one is dead and Harley is Preggers. Still they should just make Batman Gotham City now between the Hush and Azareal Side missions and the invlovement of the League plenty of stuff to make a new story out of.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By SpencerTucksen

@xhavoc86:

The Lazarus Pit is filled with Clayface. Not sure about that stuff, broseph...

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Jeust

@N7 said:

Nahhh it should be clear by Arkham State.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@xhavoc86 said:

@myslead: I think he was just joking, but Arkham Nation would be a nice title lol

Anyways, Joker can't be dead, Talia definitely won't stay dead. You can bet Ra's al Ghul will take care of Talia like he does himself with the Lazarus Pit. and Joker....I definitely think its another fake.

One thing that was pointed out to me is that there was a positive pregnancy test that was found that is supposedly Harley Quinn's...

Ra's is dead too

Draugrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Draugrim

@rebgav said:

Killing the Joker is the best thing that they could do for that franchise. Hopefully they resist pulling any Lazarus Pit shenanigans. I would be love it if the next game was about Wayne handing over the cowl to a different Batman, now that he's lost his nemesis, his love interest and his mentor/rival.

This.

Ballsy, and would open the door to exploring the newer facets of Batman's own corner of the DCU from the comics. Batwoman, Red Hood, Black Glove Society, Batman Inc., etc.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Slaker117

I really hope the Joker stays dead. Not that I wouldn't like seeing more of him, but bringing back dead characters is always the worst.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zella

@SpencerTucksen said:

@xhavoc86:

The Lazarus Pit is filled with Clayface. Not sure about that stuff, broseph...

There is more than one pit in the normal lore I think, so probably more than just the one under Gotham in AC cannon. I hope Talia comes back solely for the hope that Damian could be in the next one. It's a long shot due to Robin's apparent age in this one and unless Talia had already given birth to Damian in AC then 10ish years would have to pass between AC and whatever the next one is. Also the thing they need to include in the third is full access to the Bat Cave, maybe again up the gadgets and have it as your hub where you can change your gadget loadout.

SuperCycle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SuperCycle

I just hope the Joker stays dead for the next game, I'm not saying that I wouldn't like him to come back in future titles, but he was pretty much the main villain in two games, they should let him stay dead for the next one and bring him back in the fourth.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By John1912

I was pretty shocked to see him die. Comics are usually so fucking anal about their cannon/characters that they dont let shit like that go down. Much as I love the Joker, and Mark Hamil will always be the best, it would kinda suck to see the Joker back. Esp from a Lazarus pit. Feel like thats been done to death......

All in all though gotta say, was a bit dissapointed in the story. Too many aspects wedged together and none fleshed out they way they needed. Also WTF with the Titan poison? Joker shot Batman full of that shit at the end of AA. He staved off any ill effects threw sheer will power of not transforming? I dont buy it.....

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bestostero

Yes, like others mentioned, there are Lazarus pits all around the world that Ra's has access too.

Even if its not through the Lazarus pits, they can and will find a way to bring someone back from the dead if they wanted...as a comic fan, I've been exposed to a lot of crazy resurrection back from the dead stories lol

I really don't think Joker is dead...I don't believe it. but if he is, i think its a great way to retire Mark Hamill Joker's stint.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lukeweizer

If Nolan can kill Two-Face, Rocksteady can kill the Joker. I think it's for the better. I don't want Batman to be chasing the Joker all the time. They kind of made all the villains inferior compared to Joker in this one. Except Freeze. But I was pretty disappointed with what they did with Two-Face.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By CL60

What if Clayface going into the Lazarus Pit causes his mind to go insane and he begins to think he is the last person he shapeshifted into, which is Joker.

Also, did anybody notice the easter egg near Harley Quinns uniform at one point in the game? There was a positive pregnancy test.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bestostero

@CL60 said:

What if Clayface going into the Lazarus Pit causes his mind to go insane and he begins to think he is the last person he shapeshifted into, which is Joker.

Also, did anybody notice the easter egg near Harley Quinns uniform at one point in the game? There was a positive pregnancy test.

Oh that is very smart theory about Clayface! I wouldn't mind if they did that and leave Joker dead.

Yeah the positive pregnancy test is interesting...

WilyBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WilyBoy

@CL60 said:

I was thinking something like this as well. I didn't imagine Clayface going insane, though. He did say the Joker was the performance of a lifetime... maybe once he finds out Joker is dead, he'll try to fill that role in a more permanent capacity. What's scarier than a Joker that's actually a giant immortal clay monster in disguise? If Mark Hamill is really and truly done doing the voice though, I'd prefer them to leave the Joker and all Joker impersonators out of the next game.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Prestige-style ending. It was definitely surprising, I never saw it coming, but the problem with a massive twist like this is it must be consistent throughout the story. Was Clayface the "dead" Joker in the beginning of the game? If so, why did he have a skeleton? Also, how did he feign death to the point that Batman's own detective vision reported he was deceased? And later, when you are fighting Clayface as healthy Joker in Joker's Funhouse, he still has a skeleton. Maybe this is getting too nitpicky, but in AA when you find Clayface in his cell, detective vision shows he has no skeleton. I think it would have actually been cool if the Joker in the Funhouse fight had no skeleton in detective vision. I don't think it would have given away the twist to most people, but really attentive players might have been able to piece together what was going on, and everyone else would probably think it was just a weird glitch and not give it another thought.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By veektarius

I wasn't surprised they killed joker due to Mark Hamill's retirement from the role. If we are to assume that this Batman is more like a movie where dead characters stay dead, Hugo Strange is gone also. I was surprised that they killed Talia and Ra's, but they can still both be brought back. It's not like they haven't got a huge secret society who lives to serve them. Ra's was portrayed well/accurately and he's in the class of villain who could play the lead next time. Two-face and Penguin were portrayed as petty crime lords with small-minded ambitions that would not make for a very good game. Freeze got the sympathetic treatment (as I prefer). Other possible characters who could take over the lead villain role are the Black Mask and an outside chance of Red Hood. I'm not a regular reader, but I think that pretty much exhausts the major villains, so if there is a threequel, I'm betting on Ra's taking the lead villain role and Joker staying dead.

By the way, Ra's boss fight was really fun.

Edit: Scarecrow could also be dead.

FunkasaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FunkasaurusRex

I came a way a little confused about the issue of the Joker's death and the cure he had. I played through the final bit in a rush this weekend so it's entirely possible that I've just mixed up some story beats in my head, but here's what I think I understood:

1. Freeze creates the cure and puts it into his safe, where it is stolen by Harley Quinn. Presumably she rushes it back to the Joker.

2. Batman fights his way through the steel mill, gets trapped under some rubble, and is forced to abandon his pursuit of the Joker when Protocol 10 is triggered.

3. Batman obtains the Tyger access code, breaks into Wonder Tower, fights his way to the top and defeats Strange.

4. Batman battles his way through Joker's snipers and into the theater, where he defeats Clayface

5. Batman obtains the cure from Clayface, uses half of it to cure himself, and then Joker dies after the last half is lost in their struggle

Joker had the cure in his possession for all that time and he never bothered to cure himself? I mean sure he's crazy and he wanted to taunt Batman with it but isn't he also supposed to be a criminal mastermind? It just seemed kind of silly to me that Joker would be wasting away and dying of this disease and once Harley brought him the cure he just sat on it for hours while Batman took care of business, to the point where he finally died from it. Seems like kind of a stupid death for someone who's such a planner and schemer.

Really enjoyed the game and love the character of the Joker, I just thought he deserved a better death than that.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Nekroskop

This ending was so damn dark compared to the first one. If it's a part of a trilogy, it fits though.

WilyBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By WilyBoy

@FunkasaurusRex: I don't think Harley stole the cure. I think the implication is that Talia or one of Ra's assassins stole the cure and framed Joker, presumably to force Batman into coming to Ra's for help, so Ra's can try to recruit him one last time.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fetchfox

@WilyBoy: @FunkasaurusRex: Talia said she stole the cure from Harley, which stole it from Freezes safe. We found Harley tied up, remember? There's no reason Joker would do that. Talia had the cure on her until she was shot in the theater by Joker (the real one). Right after that Clayface woke up from being presumed dead after Talia stabbed him. He then stored the vile inside his body and Batman collected it after defeating him. See, it all makes sense ;)

Sephirdorf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sephirdorf

@WilyBoy said:

And later, when you are fighting Clayface as healthy Joker in Joker's Funhouse, he still has a skeleton. Maybe this is getting too nitpicky, but in AA when you find Clayface in his cell, detective vision shows he has no skeleton. I think it would have actually been cool if the Joker in the Funhouse fight had no skeleton in detective vision. I don't think it would have given away the twist to most people, but really attentive players might have been able to piece together what was going on, and everyone else would probably think it was just a weird glitch and not give it another thought.

I completed the game yesterday and during that scene the Joker didn't have a skeleton at all in detective vision. All the other enemies in the room had one but Joker alone lacked one, just like when you see Clayface in Arkham Asylum disguised as the other characters.

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Dreamfall31

@WilyBoy: Could Clayface maybe somehow mold a skeleton with his shapeshifting ability? I only know about him as much as he was in the Animated Series. I'm not sure if his powers could be refined enough to create a skeletal system in a body he imitates. Either that or they could have just made a dead body look exactly like Joker somehow.

I think in this series they should keep the Joker dead. I was not expecting him to be in this one as much as he was since he was the main villian of AA. I still really liked the game, I just wish that there would have been more Two-Face, Freeze, and other villians who took the reigns. I did love though how Freeze and Batman were somewhat allies in this. But I would be down for a Joker-less Batman game.

FunkasaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FunkasaurusRex

@fetchfox: @WilyBoy Thanks gents, that does make more sense now. I guess I missed the bit about Talia stealing the cure. I did find it odd that Harley was tied up. Maybe I didn't leave her ungagged long enough to get the whole story ;)

SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SpartyOn

@Ruukie said:

So just finished the main story line and wow pretty awesome in theory they've killed off 2 characters I know Mark Hamill said he'd never do the Joker again after this but killing him off seems insane or could it be another fake Joker?

It'd be a pretty crazy twist if it was a fake joker since he really was sick with that Titan Poisoning and everything.

NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NinjaHunter

@WilyBoy said:

@CL60 said:

I was thinking something like this as well. I didn't imagine Clayface going insane, though. He did say the Joker was the performance of a lifetime... maybe once he finds out Joker is dead, he'll try to fill that role in a more permanent capacity. What's scarier than a Joker that's actually a giant immortal clay monster in disguise? If Mark Hamill is really and truly done doing the voice though, I'd prefer them to leave the Joker and all Joker impersonators out of the next game.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Prestige-style ending. It was definitely surprising, I never saw it coming, but the problem with a massive twist like this is it must be consistent throughout the story. Was Clayface the "dead" Joker in the beginning of the game? If so, why did he have a skeleton? Also, how did he feign death to the point that Batman's own detective vision reported he was deceased? And later, when you are fighting Clayface as healthy Joker in Joker's Funhouse, he still has a skeleton. Maybe this is getting too nitpicky, but in AA when you find Clayface in his cell, detective vision shows he has no skeleton. I think it would have actually been cool if the Joker in the Funhouse fight had no skeleton in detective vision. I don't think it would have given away the twist to most people, but really attentive players might have been able to piece together what was going on, and everyone else would probably think it was just a weird glitch and not give it another thought.

The real Joker was the "dead" one and Clayface was the one who gassed Batman. I'm not sure if Batman's detective vision actually told him that Joker was dead I think he just used it to make sure it was actually the Joker. And I have to replay that fight with Clayface/Joker to see if he has a skeleton or not.

I just started a new game plus play through and I like the fact they give you a pretty big clue about the twist the first time you're in the steel mill. Which I thought nothing of it, my first time through the game.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CL60

@NinjaHunter said:

@WilyBoy said:

@CL60 said:

The real Joker was the "dead" one and Clayface was the one who gassed Batman. I'm not sure if Batman's detective vision actually told him that Joker was dead I think he just used it to make sure it was actually the Joker. And I have to replay that fight with Clayface/Joker to see if he has a skeleton or not.

I just started a new game plus play through and I like the fact they give you a pretty big clue about the twist the first time you're in the steel mill. Which I thought nothing of it, my first time through the game.

Both Jokers have skeletons. But there was a part of the game where you can hear Harley talking to Joker, and if you turn on detective vision you can only see Harley. At first I thought it was just a bug or they forgot to put Joker there. But I guess it makes sense if it were Clayface.

busterblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By busterblade

There was another problem with the ending I haven't noticed mentioned here, if I'm wrong I hope someone could correct me but wasn't Joker holding Gotham citizens hostage with the same condition he inflicted on Batman. If so then did they just die since there was no cure left.

I guess we could assume more could be created from Batman's blood and/or what is left or Ras but it's never stated

NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NinjaHunter

@CL60 said:

@NinjaHunter said:

@WilyBoy said:

@CL60 said:

Both Jokers have skeletons. But there was a part of the game where you can hear Harley talking to Joker, and if you turn on detective vision you can only see Harley. At first I thought it was just a bug or they forgot to put Joker there. But I guess it makes sense if it were Clayface.

I guess that's a little disappointing that they both have skeletons. But yeah the big clue in the beginning is Harley talking to Joker.

Harley: Oh! Mister J you look so much better! You look Perfect! Oh wait, that's not you is it.

Joker: Shut up, Harley!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@busterblade: Yeah, I guess I somehow let that slip my mind, but yeah I recall Oracle and Robin saying that there were already a lot of cases popping up at hospitals around Gotham and that the first fatalities would occur by the following morning.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CL60

@NinjaHunter said:

@CL60 said:

@NinjaHunter said:

@WilyBoy said:

@CL60 said:

I guess that's a little disappointing that they both have skeletons. But yeah the big clue in the beginning is Harley talking to Joker.

Harley: Oh! Mister J you look so much better! You look Perfect! Oh wait, that's not you is it.

If you use detective vision there can you see Joker? Because that may be the spot where I noticed him missing.

NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By NinjaHunter

@CL60 said:

@NinjaHunter said:

@CL60 said:

@NinjaHunter said:

@WilyBoy said:

@CL60 said:

If you use detective vision there can you see Joker? Because that may be the spot where I noticed him missing.

I didn't really look my second time there but I remember only seeing Harley the first time.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By kingzetta
    @WilyBoy: clayface's new nickname should be "Oh shit that's a clay monster."
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By kingzetta
    @fetchfox said:

@WilyBoy: @FunkasaurusRex: Talia said she stole the cure from Harley, which stole it from Freezes safe. We found Harley tied up, remember? There's no reason Joker would do that. Talia had the cure on her until she was shot in the theater by Joker (the real one). Right after that Clayface woke up from being presumed dead after Talia stabbed him. He then stored the vile inside his body and Batman collected it after defeating him. See, it all makes sense ;)

How many times did you rip the tape off of harley's mouth? I did it like 20 times.
    metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#37  Edited By metalsnakezero

Azrael said (if you complete the Stranger side mission) that Gotham City will soon go under and that Batman will also go down. So I expect the next game to be all kinds of F ups.

Ksaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ksaw

@Jeust said:

@N7 said:

If they want to squeeze as much as they can out of this series, the chronology should be as follows:
    1. Arkham City
    2. Arkham County
    3. Arkham State
    4. Arkham Country
    5. Arkham Continent
    6. Arkham Planet
    7. Arkham Universe

Can't wait for Arkham Universe.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By cstrang

@Rudyftw: Well, what the fuck?

WilyBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By WilyBoy

@NinjaHunter said:

I'm like 90% sure I remember seeing Joker's status on the right-hand side (just like when you use it to look at a thug and it will show calm/nervous/terrified) and it says Status: Deceased. That's why I thought maybe it was Clayface, and maybe the detective vision just wouldn't know what to make of his health. Now I want to pop detective vision in the last boss fight to see how Clayface shows up and what his status is. If it's definitely the real Joker in the chair, though, then I don't know how he'd fool Batman's own heart monitor.

@NinjaHunter said:

I didn't catch this! I'm already past this point in my NG+, but that's a great hint at the ending.

@fetchfox said:

[explains the ending of the game]

Thanks fetch, the danger of finishing a game at 4am is coming away with a spotty memory of what actually happened :P

@kingzetta said:

@WilyBoy: clayface's new nickname should be "Oh shit that's a clay monster."

That should be the name of the last chapter of Arkham City.

destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By destruktive

I hope joker stays dead. Anyone other than Mark Hamill doing the Joker voice sounds like a bad idea.

xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42  Edited By xxizzypop

@destruktive said:

I hope joker stays dead. Anyone other than Mark Hamill doing the Joker voice sounds like a bad idea.

Truth. If Hamill isn't voicing him, then to me, it's just someone disguised as the Joker. He's the one who really made the character come alive in these games. He's got the right kind of crazy and yeeeears of experience with the character. Anyone else will just sound like an impostor.

GrandMarshal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#43  Edited By GrandMarshal
    @CL60: Perfect start writing the story for the next game
    TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheHumanDove

Well I just ruined the ending for myself. Time to reflect on life

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45  Edited By Jeust

@Ksaw said:

@Jeust said:

@N7 said:

If they want to squeeze as much as they can out of this series, the chronology should be as follows:
    1. Arkham City
    2. Arkham County
    3. Arkham State
    4. Arkham Country
    5. Arkham Continent
    6. Arkham Planet
    7. Arkham Universe

Arkham... Multiverse?

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By fetchfox

@kingzetta said:

@fetchfox said:

How many times did you rip the tape off of harley's mouth? I did it like 20 times.

Haha, I loved doing that. I did it until she started repeating herself.

@WilyBoy: No problem mate, just helping a fellow duder.

briangodsoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By briangodsoe

@Jeust said:

@Ksaw said:

@Jeust said:

@N7 said:

1. Arkham City
    2. Arkham County
    3. Arkham State
    4. Arkham Country
    5. Arkham Continent
    6. Arkham Planet
    7. Arkham Universe

Arkham... Multiverse?

Crisis on Infinite Arkhams

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#48  Edited By clubsandwich

I thought the game was pretty awesome, also, the Joker's not dead, watch the credits! ;) Ra's is alive as well, after you go and fight Clayface, if you go back where his corpse was, you'll see that he's gone. Not sure about Talia's fate, though, but I hope she'e alive for the next game, I just felt sad for Batman after she got shot.

btw, anyone else thinks that some elements of the game were taken from Batman Hush?

narficacid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By narficacid

I only hope that Joker stays dead because those ending lines between him and Batman were great. Reminded me of the end of "The Killing Joke."

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
    Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#50  Edited By Stealthmaster86

I hope he stays dead. Would LOVE a game where The Joker isn't the main villain. Because of how little use Two Face was in City, I hope he is the new villain for the next one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.