Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham City

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Oct 18, 2011

When Gotham City's slums have been transformed into a secluded super-prison, it's up to Batman to uncover its conspiracy in the sequel to 2009's Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Storyteller

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

I originally wrote this post a few months ago and am just now getting around to posting it up. 

No Caption Provided

My brother and I got the "Storyteller" trophy in Batman: Arkham City this Labor Day, along with everyone else who got the game before Halloween 2011 and didn't cheat by setting their clocks ahead. Not that I have anything against people who do that (that would be crazy), but it's not something I do. I found it more fun to set reminders on Google Calendar for every major holiday of each month and play the game then. It also gave me an excuse to boot up Arkham City every once in a while. 

The Storyteller trophy/achievement is where you, Batman, have to go into the bottom floor of the courthouse and speak with Calendar Man on specific holidays, resulting in him describing a crime he committed on that holiday in the past. The game uses the internal clock of whatever system you're playing on, so if you play the game on Christmas (or tell your system that it's Christmas by setting the clock manually instead of through the internet), Calendar Man will tell you a story about a crime he committed on Christmas. It's a cool Easter egg that gets you some good, violent stories and a trophy/achievement.

Arkham City isn't the first game to use a console's clock to trigger special events like this, but it's one of the best uses I've seen. I know that Animal Crossing does this to a much larger extent, too.

Did anyone else bother getting this achievement? Did you do it in real-time or did you change the clock? What other cool uses of this mechanic have you seen?

CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I originally wrote this post a few months ago and am just now getting around to posting it up. 

No Caption Provided

My brother and I got the "Storyteller" trophy in Batman: Arkham City this Labor Day, along with everyone else who got the game before Halloween 2011 and didn't cheat by setting their clocks ahead. Not that I have anything against people who do that (that would be crazy), but it's not something I do. I found it more fun to set reminders on Google Calendar for every major holiday of each month and play the game then. It also gave me an excuse to boot up Arkham City every once in a while. 

The Storyteller trophy/achievement is where you, Batman, have to go into the bottom floor of the courthouse and speak with Calendar Man on specific holidays, resulting in him describing a crime he committed on that holiday in the past. The game uses the internal clock of whatever system you're playing on, so if you play the game on Christmas (or tell your system that it's Christmas by setting the clock manually instead of through the internet), Calendar Man will tell you a story about a crime he committed on Christmas. It's a cool Easter egg that gets you some good, violent stories and a trophy/achievement.

Arkham City isn't the first game to use a console's clock to trigger special events like this, but it's one of the best uses I've seen. I know that Animal Crossing does this to a much larger extent, too.

Did anyone else bother getting this achievement? Did you do it in real-time or did you change the clock? What other cool uses of this mechanic have you seen?

meaninoflife42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By meaninoflife42

Halo 4 has an achievement where you have to jump a Warthog at midnight.

CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meaninoflife42: Oh! I remember seeing that achievement and didn't consider that it used the 360's internal clock. Awesome!
    csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By csl316
    @meaninoflife42

Halo 4 has an achievement where you have to jump a Warthog at midnight.

Waiting til 12 was super exciting for some reason.
    bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By bacongames

Cool, I guess I'll keep that in mind when I get around to Arkham City. This reminds me of playing Costume Quest on Christmas to get an achievement.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By mordukai

I really dislike the look they gave Calendar Man in the game. Best look he had was in The Long Halloween. Anyways, Best use of Clock Mechanic has got to go to MGS 3. I won't spoil it but those who played the game know what I am talking about. Another cool use of actual time frame was in Demon's Souls and how Atlus used to turn the whole world's tendency Pure Black for Halloween and Pure White for Christmas.

Willza92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Willza92

I remember in Simpsons Road Rage that certain cars would unlock on certain days, so like Apu would have an Christmas Sports Car on 25/12. Can't remember if they were reskins or brand new cars.  
    Also, I started to cheat on that achievement but then I couldn't be bothered to finish it. I'll be the first guy in line talking about how Batman Arkham City is one of the best games ever, but urgh. Anyway, congratz on getting the achievement.  
    Does GiantBomb have a concept page for this feature in video games? Time sensitive content I guess it would be called.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Justin258

In order to access the Insomniac Museum in one of the old Ratchet games, you had to be in a specific place at a specific time.

CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BaconGames: I'm in the middle of a Costume Quest game. I'll keep that in mind! 

@mordukai: The Long Halloween was awesome. And I totally forgot about MGS3. I did that on one of my later playthroughs just to see what happens. It happened to my brother when he took a small break from the game. I had to adjust the clock for him so he could experience it properly! He was wondering what the hell happened when he suddenly didn't have to fight anymore. 

@Willza92: I'm sure the concept exists somewhere...
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By mordukai

@CharlesAlanRatliff: Have you read Batman: Dark Victory?

CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mordukai: Yep! Got it at the same time as The Long Halloween. It's been a while since I read them, though.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By natetodamax

I didn't even know that achievement existed!

Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway has an achievement for playing the game on the anniversary of Operation Market Garden.

CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Voxel: That's a great use of it!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.