Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham Knight

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 23, 2015

Developer Rocksteady's return to the Batman series takes place one year after the events of Arkham City. It expands the open world from the previous game and allows players to finally drive the Batmobile throughout Gotham City's streets.

Reviews are starting to hit

• 179 results
    Takahashiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I wasn't sure if I should get the game at launch or wait till a price drop, but after I accidentaly stumbled upon a thumbnail on youtube which showed the knight unmasked the decision was quickly made, lol. And I already had very strong suspicions on who it might be just from watching the trailers, and it turned out to be true, so that spoiler wasn't that big of a deal. But still, I then just said fk it and read the whole plot synopsis. It was okay overall I guess, but nothing really great. Kinda like the dark knight rises finale which was good, but not the big awesome ending everybody was expecting from the end of the trilogy. Knowing the whole story doesn't really ruined the game for good for me, but now I can easily wait till it is much cheaper. I also probably wouldn't have read up on the whole story if I was really hyped for the game in the first place.^^

And considering that I still haven't even finished all the stuff in the second area in WItcher 3, buying another open world game isn't such a good idea right now anyway. xD Guess I put that money into usf4 and dmc 4 hd.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Does anyone know if you can use skins during the first playthrough of the game or can you not change your costume until New Game + like the previous games?

I think you can use them from the get-go.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@docwattson said:
    @themanwithnoplan said:
    @ghostiet said:
    @planetfunksquad said:
    @meaninoflife42 said:
    @cale said:
    @xanadu said:
    @planetfunksquad said:
    @shindig said:
    @planetfunksquad said:
    @docwattson said:

As far as GameSpot's 7.... I think it's important for different opinions and point of views in gaming. We can't all agree on everything all the time. Also as much as I love Giant Bomb and rarely go to GameSpot IMO Kieth VanOrd is the best reviewer in the business. He's very eloquent, fair, and has a distinct voice. I love reading and watching his reviews, even on games I have no interest in.

Kieth VanOrd.

Brett Gerstmann.

Donald O'Dwyer.

Alan Navarro.

Brian Shoemaker.

Daniel Ryckert.

Dustin McElroy.

Katt Klepek.

Winnie Caravella

August Walker

Merle Kish.

Stew Scanlon

LarryDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#155  Edited By LarryDavis

@ozzdog12 said:

@terminatorz: The perfect Batman game was Arkham Asylum and no one will ever convince me otherwise.

Yup. And of the two released open-world games, Origins is actually better. Tighter plotting, better writing, better character designs. Too bad that it was viewed as a simple retread and Rocksteady go out of their way to shit all over it.

Edit: ayyy, looks like @mustainium is with me on this. High five!

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By lead_dispencer

i havent played origins yet, but i did 3 star on all challenges plus all riddler trophies. I loved the story in AC more so than Asylum. You all make it sound like origins is the best story. i feel like i have to beat that before midnight tonight!

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@handlas said:

VanOrd being a hater! Watched his video review... it looks like a lot more of the same. I'm having a bit of difficulty mustering up excitement after playing all 3 of the prior games. I'll probably change my tune when it releases but right now it leaves me a bit cold and his complaints about the vehicle stuff put me off a bit more. Sure looks pretty tho.

I've already changed my tune. I'm hyped!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

"Best game of the console generation" 20 months into the console generation is fucking hysterical.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

7 on Gamespot, hm? Yeah. Okay, I can see that. It's another one of those, even if it is well made.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@twolines said:

7 on Gamespot, hm? Yeah. Okay, I can see that. It's another one of those, even if it is well made.

I imagine it boils down to whether or not you're tired of Batman yet. I'm not tired of Arkham games yet; I even liked Origin(s?) despite being really salty to the changes in Freeflow. More of the same is exactly what I'm looking for in this case, but I understand why others might be turned off by that (as it seems Van Ord was).

I'm more curious to know how Rocksteady was supposed to improve upon the Arkham formula for their finale. The gameplay was pretty much perfect from the first outing. I can't imagine these games playing any differently, or any better.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

7/10 from Gamespot?

That is almost... a bad review.

VictorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It is shit that the only reviews out there are for the Ps4 version. Why has it become the norm to send out only one version of a game ahead of release? This does not make me preorder the game for that specific console, but rather wait until the game is released and reviews for both Ps4 and Xbox are available. Sure, I have a Ps4, but I also have an Xbox, and I would like to see how that version holds up before I decide what console to buy it for. Do they do this to boost sales of the Ps4 version?

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@victork: I don't know if this is the case for AK, specifically, but Jeff mentioned on a bombcast once that publishers often only send out one version early for review for a variety of different reasons. It could be the most polished version or just the one that was furthest along in its publishing track and easiest to distribute.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hermes said:

7/10 from Gamespot?

That is almost... a bad review.

nah. gamespot doesnt do the 3 point scale places like ign does so 7 means good.

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By thatdudeguy
    @larrydavis said:
    @ozzdog12 said:

@terminatorz: The perfect Batman game was Arkham Asylum and no one will ever convince me otherwise.

Yup. And of the two released open-world games, Origins is actually better. Tighter plotting, better writing, better character designs. Too bad that it was viewed as a simple retread and Rocksteady go out of their way to shit all over it.

That's good to hear. I played maybe 5 hours of Origins and I think I was suffering from Batman fatigue and set it down for a while. Hearing random complaints (and Rocksteady's comments) about the game made picking it back up feel unnecessary. I'll give it another shot.

While I enjoyed it, I never felt like Arkham City took much advantage of the open world. Without chase sequences, large-scale outdoor battles, non-combative NPCs, or vehicles, the city felt lifeless and unnecessary. I would generally just zip to my next objective, beat up some thugs on a building's steps, and proceed to the tighter, more varied indoor and underground maps. Occasionally, I would engage in a puzzle or random event, but I don't recall any being very interesting. Where the Asylum took advantage of every inch of space and felt designed around the specific gameplay needs, it seemed like Rocksteady designed the City first and then started filling it up with extra features that would flesh out the map.

I'm hoping that there are some fun chase sequences and battles that take advantage of the open world with the addition of the batmobile/bat-tank.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@ozzdog12 said:

I would probably be in complete agreement with you about Origins if there weren't multiple progress-impeding bugs and if the combat had been just a little tighter. At high level play, there were some significant issues with Batman's targeting, evading, and countering--just some light jank and inconsistency--that hadn't been present to the same degree in Asylum or City.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I only encountered one rough bug in Origins so I probably got lucky. I'm tempted to play through the Arkhams now.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@ozzdog12 said:

I can get on this bandwagon, although I haven't played Origins.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In a few years when you have the urge to play another batman game maybe give orgins a try. its not bad

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My only experience with the Batman games was the Arkham Asylum demo 6 years ago... I'm super pumped for this.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only problem with Origins is the same problem with AC brotherhood, franchise fatigue. Otherwise both stand out as one of the best games in the series they represented. Boss fights in Origins are actually fun, and there weren't as many bad platforming missions (only one i played actually), and the story was good.

I think it took me a year or 2 to finally play brotherhood and ending up loving that game, and I didn't play origins for a year after a bought it. Only played it because arkham knight caught my attention again.

Too bad it looks like these reviews won't be reflective of the PC version, I feel I should have just got the ps4 version.

LarryDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@larrydavis said:
    @ozzdog12 said:

I would probably be in complete agreement with you about Origins if there weren't multiple progress-impeding bugs and if the combat had been just a little tighter. At high level play, there were some significant issues with Batman's targeting, evading, and countering--just some light jank and inconsistency--that hadn't been present to the same degree in Asylum or City.

I never encountered any bugs, to be honest, and I do think them announcing they weren't going to fix some of it was pretty bad. But at the same time, there are certain things about game development that the general public finds hard to fathom, and it definitely is possible that it just wasn't worth it for them to spend time and money fixing something that a small minority of players had seen. I know they fixed that vent thing, which was apparently present for everyone, so at least there's that.

I didn't notice a whole lot of jank, but Batman's combat has never been particularly challenging to begin with. After getting 1000/1000 in Asylum, I never bothered with many of the challenge stuff, largely because they introduced that "campaign" thing that would make you replay maps over and over.

At the very least, Origins didn't have every single NPC talking about how Catwoman and Harley Quinn are "bitches" that they want to fuck.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#174  Edited By alistercat

Really excited. Like I said though, most people here suffer from confirmation bias and lacking self awareness.

I can't imagine feeling fatigued by non annual franchises as a lot of people here seem to, and the Giant Bomb staff. I played plenty of games in between each Arkham game, and a lot since the last one. I think I can handle one of those right now.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@larrydavis said:
    @historyinrust said:
    @larrydavis said:
    @ozzdog12 said:

I never encountered any bugs, to be honest, and I do think them announcing they weren't going to fix some of it was pretty bad.

Consider yourself among the lucky then. I had checkpoints not trigger, entire mission-critical objectives fail to load. And I hit a doozy of a game-breaker in the game's final sequence with the Joker that forced me to restart the entire game from square one. They fixed some of the really big issues, but I think--on consoles at least--there are still side quests that can (but won't always) lock your progress. It's silly.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Money's not exactly tight, but it's tighter than usual, so I'm sitting here hovering over pre-ordering on PS4 to get the pre-load started, wondering how late this Quick Look scheduled for a half hour ago is going to be. :(

Everything I've read in the reviews though makes me fairly confident I'll love taking a break from Witcher 3 to plow through this.

mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Anyone else seeing the Quick Look scheduled for YESTERDAY?

xSeanZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#178  Edited By xSeanZx
    Loading Video...

The quick look is up.

mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By mak_wikus

@xseanzx: Does it have its own page yet? I prefer to download the file. Nevermind. Found it through the wiki page.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima said:

Money's not exactly tight, but it's tighter than usual, so I'm sitting here hovering over pre-ordering...

No Caption Provided

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By JohnTunoku

30 Fps locked PC version. Looks like a hack job on that end. It's unlockable, but that is pretty much always a very bad sign.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1068628

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#182  Edited By Nardak

I guess that most of the reviewers have either played the new Batman game on the console or they have been lucky with their pc setups since there are a fair number of people on steam atm who are somewhat disappointed with the choppiness of the game. Which seems to dip into low fps especially when you are driving around in the bat mobile. Not to mention the fact that the game is locked to 30 fps on pc´s (though you can tweak the ini files).

The game has 287 reviews on steam (user rating is mixed). Once again it seems that people with amd based graphics cards are having a hard time with the game. Especially as it seems that they changed the requirements for graphics cards memory from 2 gigabytes to 3 gigabytes for amd based cards.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.