Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham Knight

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 23, 2015

Developer Rocksteady's return to the Batman series takes place one year after the events of Arkham City. It expands the open world from the previous game and allows players to finally drive the Batmobile throughout Gotham City's streets.

WB offering refunds, unfixable bugs. GMG Update. Nvidia Promo Update.

• 94 results
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

@oursin_360: Agreed. "issues we cannot fix" is some grade-A bullshit. What they actually mean is: "We got the money we wanted out of this thing, we aren't spending a dime on fixing this shit, go fuck yourselves"

Am I missing something? Doesn't "full refunds" mean they're not getting the money they wanted?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#52  Edited By Yummylee

@ottoman673 said:

Lang and the rest of IG should stick to fighting games. Between this debacle and that awful Vita borderlands 2 port complex games don't seem like their strong suit

They done good with Borderlands 2 on PS4 at least. Not that you'd think that'd be an especially difficult port job, but they certainly put more effort than Amature did with the Pre-Sequel.

Ha, I mean Armature... my typo makes for a happy accident given how fitting it is, though.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I feel bad for those that only have PC and have been wanting to play this. Glad I opted to stick with the console version.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By tartyron

Pretty sure this is a lock for Hottest Mess this year.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#55  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Lang and the rest of IG should stick to fighting games. Between this debacle and that awful Vita borderlands 2 port complex games don't seem like their strong suit

I don't think you can really blame them for having difficulties in either situation.

In both of these cases they were having to tangle with a big code base written by another team over the course of many years and multiple entries in a franchise. In the case of Borderlands 2, they were also having to port it to a far less capable platform. With respect to Arkham Knight, they had an extremely short timetable during which they potentially needed to rework big chunks of a game - it's impossible for us to know how big the problems actually were. When WB says that they "can't" fix some of the game's problems, I'm assuming what that really means is that Iron Galaxy identified the cause of the issues, made a proposal for how much time/money would be needed to fix them, and then WB rejected the proposal.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

This is gross, especially when games like Shadow of Mordor and Mad Max work fine on PC.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@nickhead said:

This is gross, especially when games like Shadow of Mordor and Mad Max work fine on PC.

That's not a similar comparison. Those games are all made by completely different teams using completely different tech. WB publishes these games, they don't make them or force the different studios(some of which they don't even own) to use/share tech.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@ssully said:
    @nickhead said:

That's not a similar comparison. Those games are all made by completely different teams using completely different tech. WB publishes these games, they don't make them or force the different studios(some of which they don't even own) to use/share tech.

Ya got a point there.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess it's a good thing I've never cared about any Batman related game or I'd be upset about this. I'll add this to the list of reasons to say FUCK THE DIGITAL ONLY OPTION. If this had happened to the retail version of the game on store shelves and Little Johnny had discovered that his PS4/XBOX Batman game he got for Christmas was literally broken then you'd have a bunch of angry parents calling WB out on their bullshit.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

@junkboy0: @oldirtybearon: Just because I didn't directly pay for the game doesn't mean that I don't deserve a working experience. Saying WB owes me a free game is a bit too far (and I was mostly being sarcastic there), but it would have been nice to have been offered some kind of recompense that I can actually use, other than a refund I can't accept (which I wouldn't expect) and games in a series I clearly already like if I'm "buying" a game on day on and likely already own. Why not at least make the season pass available to me for free, since there's no way I would ever want to spend my own money on it after the issues?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@chaser324: You can't blame them for having difficulties, that can happen to the best of studios, but you can blame them for the lack of foresight in tackling a project that they weren't adequately prepared to handle. This wasn't dropped in their lap over the course of 24 hours because nothing in the business world moves that fast. There were meetings, proposals and timetables, all of which Iron Galaxy must have confirmed that they were able to comply with. IF Warner approached them and said, this is what you will get, you have 4 months to familiarize yourself with the code and make a working port, can you do this - and their answer was "yes, we can do this in the allotted time" then they are definitely to blame.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hey, at least it's not Saint's Row 2.

But seriously this is unforgivable.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wemibelec90: You are owed one just not from the WB ands that's the big difference. Contact your reseller and or your card manufacturer and see what they say. WB doesn't and shouldn't have to do anything for the folks who got the code for free with cards that's between wb and those companies/nv.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thing I've just never understood is this: ALL THREE of the previous batman games, including the two by Rocksteady, ported to PC perfectly. In fact, as I got them with older hardware than I have now, they always performed way smoother than games that used half the graphical features.

All that said, I was able to play and beat Arkham Knight, I just avoided the batmobile because it was the source of most stuttering and accepted the muddy textures. It would SOMETIMES look great, but mostly looked nasty. I'm conflicted about asking for the refund because I DID finish the game but it really wasn't the game promised to me. And yes, I'm the idiot that preordered and got the season pass and everything. $90 total.

Pilgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just got a refund from Green Man Gaming, thank fuck. Good on them.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

How did this happen? How can a major release be so broken?

Because PC ports don't matter.

Not my opinion, but the opinion of publishers.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#67  Edited By north6

Full disclosure, I have a 980ti, I have this on PC and have zero issues. I had zero issues a month ago as well. Looks and runs great, have not experienced any frame drops or similar issues people are talking about, running at 1980 60.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But PC games are supposed to be better you guys!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@acidbrandon18: they typically can be, not to say people who prefer playing on console are unwashed peons. You're pointing to one unfortunate port as an example for all.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After this news broke I decided it was time to move on and get a refund from GMG. I never even installed the game because It would have taken me days to download ~30gb on my Internet connection but knowing about the issues I didn't want to bother taking the risk.

Maybe I'll borrow it from a friend on PS4.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a nightmare for all involved.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I...

I bought and got the game working after installing the game-specific drivers for this on my new card..which fixed the slow-down at the very beginning (and I'd assume for every cut-scene) issue.

And then I went on to play, and beat it. Like months and months ago.

Its crazy to think that they had this much trouble getting a stable, working PC build together in all that time. Like, I realize I had just bought the latest (all be it the cheapest) new graphics card so its very likely they ran the game/tested it internally on a machine that in all the important ways, seemingly, was like my own. But good lord!

Even worse..its not even that great a game. Like it was fine, but the story goes exactly where anyone who has even the most basic idea about Batman's History expects and the car combat is utterly miserable without the right upgrades. No, seriously. Try those final Car fights without an upgraded reload speed (without even realizing its, I think upper mid left..) Good lord what a miserable experience that was.

I do wonder, is this just some fault of the gaming code? Or is developing for the PC always this difficult? I wonder if that's a truth that's going to get lost amid all of the hype. Like we, the community, have gotten so used to getting PC games on the same day, or very very shortly after. We make a massive ruckus when they get delayed, we accuse publishers (Rockstar) of double dipping purely because of greed/they know they can get away with it and on and on.

But then..what if all those games that work well on PC day 1 are..the exception? Just food for thought, I can't imagine anyone whoses worked on this game wants it to be trash on the PC, far from it.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

What a mess. Even if it's just one version of the game, this is in some ways worse than The Master Chief Collection was last year. I'd be interested in knowing what is so fundamentally broken with this PC version that makes it un-fixable (or perhaps no longer worth the time and effort to fix).

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Every game has bugs that are "unfixable" for a laundry list of reasons. Without knowing which bugs (is that info out there?) passing judgement on that thread headline is a little pointless.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After this news broke I decided it was time to move on and get a refund from GMG. I never even installed the game because It would have taken me days to download ~30gb on my Internet connection but knowing about the issues I didn't want to bother taking the risk.

Maybe I'll borrow it from a friend on PS4.

How the hell do I reques a refund on GMG? I find their customer support section confusing as hell.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Cameron

@arbitrarywater said:

What a mess. Even if it's just one version of the game, this is in some ways worse than The Master Chief Collection was last year. I'd be interested in knowing what is so fundamentally broken with this PC version that makes it un-fixable (or perhaps no longer worth the time and effort to fix).

This is way worse than The Master Chief Collection. At least that game worked in single player, there was still like 30-40 hours of good content to play. MCC was half broken (some might think it's the important half, but I bought it for the single player stuff), while Arkham Knight was completely broken. There was no part of the game that wasn't brought down by performance problems.

@lukeweizer Go here https://greenmangaming.zendesk.com/requests/new

Then select Refunds-other and fill out the form. I got my refund almost instantly.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For everyone wondering why they cant fix the port, this is what happens when you get a subpar company to make a port on an incredibly strict time limit. Odds are the code is a complete mess with very minimal documentation. I dont envy whoever they have trying to sort all that shit out.

mechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

@oldirtybearon: A pack-in game isn't free, the same way the "free PS+ games" aren't free.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Any modders in the house wanting to take a shot at fixing this game?

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

So it's pretty much a rental now? Regardless of how long you've played it....interesting.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How do the steam refunds work? Do they put the money back on your credit card or do you get steam wallet credit? I am hoping I can refund the game even though I got it through Nvidia.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How the hell is it "unfixable"? What does that really mean? What did they do, burn the master tracks for the game?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@flasaltine: Valve will only refund games purchased on Steam (...it's kinda unreasonable to expect otherwise). You'll need to take it up with Nvidia if you feel like you've been slighted.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flasaltine: Valve will only refund games purchased on Steam (...it's kinda unreasonable to expect otherwise). You'll need to take it up with Nvidia if you feel like you've been slighted.

Nah I don't feel slighted since I already got MGSV from them after Arkham Knight was junk. Was just hoping that maybe I could somehow turn Akham Knight into Fallout 4.

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm a console gamer, but to me this is completely unacceptable. I'd be so angry if I'd bought this on PC. Especially as it seems like they haven't done anything since the July patch and simply waited a few months before shoving it out the door to make seem like they've worked on it.

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a console gamer, but to me this is completely unacceptable. I'd be so angry if I'd bought this on PC. Especially as it seems like they haven't done anything since the July patch and simply waited a few months before shoving it out the door to make seem like they've worked on it.

Dude, honestly, thank-you. Seriously, you have no idea how nice it is to read a comment like this from a self-identified 'Console Gamer' as a self-identified 'PC Gamer'. Let's tear down these walls between us!

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Huh. Bummer for the Batman.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#89  Edited By Cav829
    @ottoman673 said:

Let me tell you, as a programmer (though not in the game industry), if the problems are so extensive that after six months of honest effort they're announcing this game is beyond repair, the problems that game has are almost assuredly beyond anything Iron Galaxy could be held responsible for. That's a far deeper problem than what IG was likely doing on the port.

There is no game I've ever wanted to read or listen to a post-mortem on ever more than this game. Just from a technical standpoint, the story behind this sounds so fascinating.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#90  Edited By Nardak

@chaser324: No one forced Dave Lang to take the deal of converting the game to PC. Lang made the deal himself with Warner Brothers.Part of running a business is to know when to sign a deal and when not to sign a deal. Iron Galaxy´s experience with PC ports so far has been minimal and judging from their history they have done mostly PS3 ports.

Iron Galaxy is not some white dove who is totally innocent in this fiasco. Think they had 6 or 9 people working on that PC port. At least according to the end game credits. Is that really a sufficient amount of people with a triple AAA title?

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah I don't feel slighted since I already got MGSV from them after Arkham Knight was junk. Was just hoping that maybe I could somehow turn Akham Knight into Fallout 4.

If you already got MGSV I don't see why they should do anything more for you. We don't want to be game gluttons now do we. :p

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 chaser324  Moderator

@nardak: To be honest, we're all pretty much making baseless speculations. From the outside, we can only guess what the terms and expectations were for Iron Galaxy's work.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bad update on free games from the promo code. WB has edited out the part that was quoted so maybe free games were only meant for retail purchases and not the NV promo codes. :/

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Got my refund from GMG. Snappy service, shame the game turned out the way it did but at least it didn't end up costing me anything other than slight frustration

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.