Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham Knight

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 23, 2015

Developer Rocksteady's return to the Batman series takes place one year after the events of Arkham City. It expands the open world from the previous game and allows players to finally drive the Batmobile throughout Gotham City's streets.

What do Warner Bros, Rocksteady and Iron Galaxy need to do to satisfy disgruntled customers?

• 70 results
    conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Poll What do Warner Bros, Rocksteady and Iron Galaxy need to do to satisfy disgruntled customers? (376 votes)

Improved stability, compatibility and optimisation. 66%
    Uncapped frame rate. 51%
    Restore missing post-processing effects and textures from the console version. 56%
    Add PC-specific high-end rendering options like HBAO+ and TXAA. 38%
    I DEMAND SATISFACTION (in the form of free content). 25%
    Just show me the results! 30%

So, I was browsing the official Arkham forums to see if there was an ETA on a patch, and in between the expected bouts of frothing rage and imprecise finger-pointing, I noticed that a bunch of people seem to have some, let’s say, unrealistic expectations of what’s to be done.

With that in mind, I’m curious what people here expect the developers to do to make things right. Is stability and compatibility enough, or do Warner Bros need to go above and beyond? Do Steam refunds obviate the need for the kind of goodwill gestures we’ve seen in the past?

• 
    afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

All of the above. The way that port launched is completely inexcusable. And this is on top of the outrage over the premium edition of this game being 100 bucks. They don't necessarily need to give away all the dlc, but they should give away at least some free content. The rest of those choices go without saying. That version of the game should be at least as good as the console versions

logan528

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The top 4 should just be fixed period. Whilst I can't complain to much ,since I luckily can run the game on PC, that stuff should have been in the game to begin with.

If there were an all of the above option I'd take that, though the chances of anything free are pretty slim.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

Considering how its PC launch is going to become the stuff of legends (really, just think of how many AAA games have ever been pulled from the store it's that busted), some sort of compensation I feel would be beneficial. Maybe release the first DLC pack (of which there appears to be many in the works) for free.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Beside the top 4 they should really include a decent graphical options menu.

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In addition maybe include one if the earlier Arkham games as a bit of piecemeal to those who already bought it

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

They should make the damn thing work to a standard expected of 60 dollar PC games or they should not launch it at all.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Just fix the damn game as soon as possible

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bring back the map challenges and let me play them as the other characters.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Decent options menu would be good on top of the first 3, fancy bonus features on top is all well and good but not a necessity. Just let me scale up or down what's there to match the machine, shadow resolution, object draw distances, AA solutions and levels etc.

keith7198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is really a shame. I have been out of the PC gaming space for a couple of years but I definitely feel for PC gamers. What really sucks is that Batman: Arkham Knight is a fabulous game. Hopefully my gaming brethren on PC will get to experience it sooner rather than later.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tbh sounds like the internet wants the blood of the first born child of Lang.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

The top three, ideally the fourth too. I'm having minimal issues *knocks on wood* but maaan if it ran at 60fps with all the settings it would be so good that it makes me a little sad.

I'm still loving the game though. I'm not the sort to demand free content, but I could see why people who bought the game and couldn't play it might feel deserving of some compensation.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This is what you guys get for fucking with Lang's phone number.

Colony024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aside from fixing this game, I hope they also make damn sure their next PC releases after this just run well out of the box, and actually come with the features and options they claim beforehand. Surely this whole fiasco translates into lots of bad PR, and there's only so much goodwill, patience and benefit of the doubt to go around after all.

The pessimist in me sees them going "See, PC sales are crap, so that only confirms even more that it's not worth putting any effort into that platform" though. I hope I'm proven wrong.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Well first of all, I don't blame Iron Galaxy or Rocksteady. My understanding of how the game business works is that ultimately it's WB decision to push the launch button and their marketing and business practices I'm not crazy about. Maybe that's not entirely fair, but I'm inclined to believe the Publisher ultimately is responsible for these kinds of messes.

• Well first of all they should apologize for lieing to people about the quality of the product and for putting a product they had to have known was inferior for sale in the first place instead of some boilerplate qualifications. When they do that, they need an exec need to put his or her name on it and not some just tossed off lawyer speak.
    • Second they need to promise and guarantee they will never do that again. Institute a quality guarantee program of some sort, even if it's just for show like the Nintendo Seal of Quality
    • then they absolutely need to fix/add the top 4 options listed in the poll
    • probably would be smart to give everybody some of the DLC for free who doesn't have it. Maybe give out an old WB game to those who bought premium
    • And finally they absolutely have to give people some sort of idea of how long it will take to do this, and when they do that they need to give themselves whatever cushion they need so that they can actually follow through on time or early.

Bottom line is, WB needs to do whatever it takes to restore trust in their products. Otherwise no one will buy their products at full price, They really are taking a PR beating and it could cripple their games division going forward if they don't get this under control.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like for those who bought Arkham Knight at release to get a big discount on the next Rocksteady game when it comes to Steam.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Offer refunds when requested and the release a good port .

Give them the other arkham games with it or something sure hut the first too are most important

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ripelivejam

they'll probably give a good chunk of dlc or something, don't know why we expect or need more. i mean, people can already get refunds.

a better performing game will also be nice, of course. ps4 graphics features at 60fps+.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Limiting some graphical effects for consoles was inexcusable. They should start with this. Then uncap the frame rate and optimize the game.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By conmulligan

@slag said:

Well first of all, I don't blame Iron Galaxy or Rocksteady. My understanding of how the game business works is that ultimately it's WB decision to push the launch button and their marketing and business practices I'm not crazy about. Maybe that's not entirely fair, but I'm inclined to believe the Publisher ultimately is responsible for these kinds of messes.

I agree. The reason I mentioned Rocksteady and Iron Galaxy in the poll is that both of their names have been somewhat unfairly dragged through the mud over the last couple of days, so I imagine they're more incentivised to appease PC players than Warner Bros. From a publishing standpoint, I suspect they'd be happy to just fix (1) and get it back on sale ASAP.

mtfikhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think there should be free content anymore. If you've bought through Steam, refunds are available to you.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Justin258

I'm happy as long as my PC games run well at the resolution I want them to and with uncapped frame rates. That's just me personally, however - those first four are musts if they want PC gamers in general to be happy with this port.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I just want all the issues to be addressed in this next patch. If it takes them multiple updates to the get the game to a point where it's stable, I'll likely have lost interest in the game. It's hard enough trying to avoid spoilers when everyone on the consoles is playing it and talking about it right now.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want all the issues to be addressed in this next patch. If it takes them multiple updates to the get the game to a point where it's stable, I'll likely have lost interest in the game. It's hard enough trying to avoid spoilers when everyone on the consoles is playing it and talking about it right now.

yeah, i just don't want them to feel like they only have 2 or 3 weeks to do it and so the game still has the same issues. i'm happy if they need to take a little time (like they should have done in the first place i suppose; GTAV's delays annoyed people a bit but in the end most seemed happy with the result). one and done it and (hopefully) take enough time to do it well enough. or at least try to resolve the majority of the issues then quicker patches afterward while there's still interest.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The top 4 are literally required

If they really feel the need to give away free content as compensation then they should probably make the first DLC free.

Even if they do eventually fix it, their names are still going to be dragged through the mud. Still, better they eventually get the game working than abandon it, since that would be way worse.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They need to fix the game and give everyone who bough early some free content.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted for HBAO+ TXAA for me as the locked frame rate did not bother me plus i got a solid 30, only a few times did it ''tank'' in my playthrough and the missing stuff was no biggie to me it still looked good to me graphics wise, man the toxic fog looked dope and the pullen flying in the air afterwards. the only thing i noticed from the off was why is is batman not getting wet in all this bloody rain. what i am saying is better AA would off been real nice for a higher image quality , going higher resolution did make performance for me stink, so that was a no-no.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I won't buy it unless the top four are fixed. As it stands, I was probably going to wait until this game was under $10 anyway, so I don't mind skipping it altogether if they can't fix the PC port.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the topic of free stuff, it'd be cool to get even the Harley Quinn add-on since getting shafted on that with the Nvidia code is just another layer on top of all the other bullshit.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The following was just posted to the Arkham forums:

Rocksteady is leading our team of developers and partners as we work on the PC performance issues that players have been encountering. The work is significant and while we are making good progress on improving performance, it will take some time to ensure that we get the right fixes in place.

Below is the list of the key areas where we are dedicating our resources to improve the experience for our loyal fans:

- Support for frame rates above 30FPS in the graphics settings menu

- Fix for low resolution texture bug

- Improve overall performance and framerate hitches

- Add more options to the graphics settings menu

- Improvements to hard drive streaming and hitches

- Address full screen rendering bug on gaming laptop

- Improvements to system memory and VRAM usage

- NVIDIA SLI bug fixes

- Enabling AMD Crossfire

- NVIDIA and AMD updated drivers

While we work on improving performance, we will also continue to make interim patches available to address issues for those still playing the game on PC. The first patch is being released now and the updates include:

- Fixed a crash that was happening for some users when exiting the game

- Fixed a bug which disabled rain effects and ambient occlusion. We are actively looking into fixing other bugs to improve this further

- Corrected an issue that was causing Steam to re-download the game when verifying the integrity of the game cache through the Steam client

- Fixed a bug that caused the game to crash when turning off Motion Blur in BmSystemSettings.ini. A future patch will enable this in the graphics settings menu

We would like to thank our fans for their patience and invaluable feedback. We will continue to monitor and listen for any additional issues.

So, it looks like we're at least getting the first three, along with more granular graphics options.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iron galaxy really shit the bed here. Do they ever put out anything good?

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Why was this game a free pack-in with high-end Nvidia cards, if it wasn't optimized for PC? I honestly feel betrayed. It's what pushed me over the edge to invest in a better graphics card. But to play on day one, after an awesome week of E3. If not day one, I probably would've just waited till it was on sale.

Some people may think I have no right to complain, since I got the game for "free", but personally I deducted the $65 value from the price of the graphics card to justify its purchase. Now I feel like I paid full price. So cheated twice! Once by no batman, and once by a more expensive graphics card.

To answer the question, all of the above. But to be honest, I'd be happy with just a game optimized for PC, as its accompanying a high-end graphics card would imply.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#34  Edited By mike

@laserbolts said:

Iron galaxy really shit the bed here. Do they ever put out anything good?

Borderlands 2 for the Vita! Oh wait...

(I'm halfway kidding here, that must have been a tough port)

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By colourful_hippie

The following was just posted to the Arkham forums:

Rocksteady is leading our team of developers and partners as we work on the PC performance issues that players have been encountering. The work is significant and while we are making good progress on improving performance, it will take some time to ensure that we get the right fixes in place.

Below is the list of the key areas where we are dedicating our resources to improve the experience for our loyal fans:

- Support for frame rates above 30FPS in the graphics settings menu

- Fix for low resolution texture bug

- Improve overall performance and framerate hitches

- Add more options to the graphics settings menu

- Improvements to hard drive streaming and hitches

- Address full screen rendering bug on gaming laptop

- Improvements to system memory and VRAM usage

- NVIDIA SLI bug fixes

- Enabling AMD Crossfire

- NVIDIA and AMD updated drivers

While we work on improving performance, we will also continue to make interim patches available to address issues for those still playing the game on PC. The first patch is being released now and the updates include:

- Fixed a crash that was happening for some users when exiting the game

- Fixed a bug which disabled rain effects and ambient occlusion. We are actively looking into fixing other bugs to improve this further

- Corrected an issue that was causing Steam to re-download the game when verifying the integrity of the game cache through the Steam client

- Fixed a bug that caused the game to crash when turning off Motion Blur in BmSystemSettings.ini. A future patch will enable this in the graphics settings menu

We would like to thank our fans for their patience and invaluable feedback. We will continue to monitor and listen for any additional issues.

So, it looks like we're at least getting the first three, along with more granular graphics options.

So it sounds like Rocksteady is getting more involved now to fix this mess which sounds good because I think they were more involved in the PC ports of the first two games which ran flawlessly. Prioritizing the first 3 is fine by me because I find those to be the most important. HBAO+ is nice but TXAA is an unnecessary resource hog

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie: I don't know if the previous games ran flawlessly on PC. Arkham City was delayed for a month on PC, and it had a lot of issues at launch, especially optimization. Over time, though patches, the game did end up running flawlessly. But it has a messy launch as well. No where near as bad as Arkham Knight, but it wasn't flawless.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Fix the damn game, then give out some DLC for free for the people who bought that mess.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel said:

Bring back the map challenges and let me play them as the other characters.

Exactly and don't make me pay for them (they're gonna make people pay for them).

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'm still playing it, haven't really had any real stability issues, but the performance leaves quite a bit to be desired, especially the 30 fps cap.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Should've released when it was ready, not rush it to meet console street date.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm playing on Xbox so I have no idea what the issues on PC are like outside of watching videos (just thought I’d write that as a disclaimer and because I will come back to it later).

I’m surprised that stability is winning the vote on here I expected give me some free stuff, perhaps that’s a testimony to this community! Given that AC Unity went down that route for being broken I do wonder where we will end up with this. I guess it’s not broken in quite the same way as this is more orientated towards performance being way below the expectations of people with hardware that should be more capable of running this game.

The free stuff route could be a bone of contention for console gamers because certainly on Xbox One I’ve heard of a few people (not myself) who have had multiple crashes where it just hangs a full reboot has been necessary. The reason console gamers may feel that annoyance over PC gamers getting free content whilst console patches have been suspended to sort out the PC issues. Not saying this shouldn’t be the case, I’ve had a friend who has 3 hard locks, lost some progress as a result and even though he is trying not to let it put a damper on the experience it still is somewhat. It’s not unreasonable of him to have the expectation that this issue would be resolved in a timely fashion.

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

add a FMV sequence in the game where Batman completes a mission that ends in Dave Lang hugging a crying John Vignocchi.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Ubisoft gave away the DLC for free AND offered a free game for those that bought it.

That sounds about right in this case, considering the exuberant prices on some of those DLC packs.

BlueFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BlueFalcon

They have fixed the rain and some filtering effects already and pretty much everything else is on their todo list. As for compensation, releasing the season pass for PC users who had the game preordered for free would do it in my book but they likely won't do anything. Next time dont preorder their games. Vote with your wallets.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
    RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Across all platforms: Patch out the mandatory use of the batmobile and make this a fucking Batman game instead of a lame Twisted Metal hybrid.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tweet out Dave Lang's new phone number.

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do the Ubisoft thing, fix the game and give everyone all the season pass content for free. Because this has been a collossal fuck up and I'm not even a PC gamer. It sounds like this game was three months away from being ready to ship.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By conmulligan

Anyone expecting Warner Bros. to pull a Ubisoft and give away all the DLC for free are kidding themselves. For starters, Ubisoft didn't even do that — they cancelled the season pass entirely, presumably because WB figured they wouldn't make a return on it, and only gave away the first piece of DLC. Secondly, Unity was broken on every platform, whereas Arkham Knight seems to be mostly without issue on consoles. There's little reason for them to surrender season pass revenue from those platforms, and only giving away the season pass to PC players would rightfully piss console players off. I think the best you could hope for is a single piece of content, or maybe a complimentary WB PC game (still-broken copy of MKX, anyone?).

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@conmulligan: But Unity wasn't nearly as broken as Arkham Knight. It had some performance issues and some AI stuff but it was a lot more playable in every way. The famous screenshot of the face that had no skin happened to less than 5% of people and yet it became the posterchild for that entire game.

Ubisoft released a somewhat buggy game. WB released a straight up broken game. I mean it's a tiny thing but even the leaderboards aren't working on the console version - leaderboards!

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The top three would just bring it to parity with the console version (assuming the console version also runs at 60FPS, which I'm not sure about), something usually consider a failure in the world of PC ports. You'd need the fourth option just to make it feel like a "decent" PC port, and then the fifth to make things right. They don't HAVE to do the fifth, but I'd feel much safer going forward knowing that they know how to treat their customers, rather than seeing PC gamers as second class citizens who you can dump garbage on and know they'll wait patiently for you to fix your busted ass game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.