Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham Origins

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Oct 25, 2013

Two years after beginning his crime-fighting career, Batman faces his toughest challenge ever when the crime lord known as Black Mask hires the eight deadliest assassins in the DC Universe to kill the vigilante who has been interfering in his operations.

Arkham Origins DLC Cancelled for Wii U

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JayEH

Source

The gist of the story is that Warner Bros. has cancelled all DLC for the Wii U version of Arkham Origins and Nintendo is offering refunds for those who bought the Season Pass.

How bad were sales for this game? I know third party games weren't so hot on Wii U but I didn't know this bad.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting, was any of this DLC exclusive to the Wii U? I imagine that this is the same season pass content that other platforms will see, has to be some level of concern that they didn't feel it was worth the investment to port this content to WII U when the other consoles are receiving it.

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfgame: I think its the same as the other platforms.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

@jayeh said:

Source

The gist of the story is that Warner Bros. has cancelled all DLC for the Wii U version of Arkham Origins and Nintendo is offering refunds for those who bought the Season Pass.

How bad were sales for this game? I know third party games weren't so hot on Wii U but I didn't know this bad.

More like, how bad are the sales for the console? The game is fine, way above average and a shoe-in for most people who enjoyed the previous two games.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

hmmmmmm interesting, Although hearing sales are a bit mixed on Arkham Origins. Being released same time as GTA5, Fita14, Pokemon and Skylanders didn't help it stand out.

on a side note, how are the updates going on console? I was testing it on PC, seems to run smoother after a couple months.

Orexis97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game came out on the Wii U?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@crithon said:

hmmmmmm interesting, Although hearing sales are a bit mixed on Arkham Origins. Being released same time as GTA5, Fita14, Pokemon and Skylanders didn't help it stand out.

on a side note, how are the updates going on console? I was testing it on PC, seems to run smoother after a couple months.

The gist I gathered was that it's an Arkham game that doesn't really do anything novel, has a weaker story than the previous games and is also glitchier than the previous entries. Though, even with the game's bad sales on Wii U, I wonder what the sell-rate for the season pass was for those that did purchase the game.

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bawlzinmotion: yeah I know. WB was one of the few pubs that actually supported the Wii U and you can see that they're starting to pull out of it.

I wasn't making any comment on the quality of the game (I think it's fine), I was just trying to make the point that no one seems to by third party games on Wii U.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@crithon said:

The gist I gathered was that it's an Arkham game that doesn't really do anything novel, has a weaker story than the previous games and is also glitchier than the previous entries. Though, even with the game's bad sales on Wii U, I wonder what the sell-rate for the season pass was for those that did purchase the game.

You know, I'm personally more curious about christmas sales figures. But keep reading a fewsourcessaying on week one reactions. And basically it never sold as well as Asylum or City and Lego Batman is really the best selling game out of the whole Batman Franchise. Hehe, I'm not sure if I should trust any sources that says there's a normal Wii version of Arkahm Origins, that's how shoddy games sales figures are on the net.

Actually it has a better story, just weaker polish and gets a bit boring with that combat everyone loves. Plus they kinda made this into Black Ops series, while Arkahm City 2 is probably Modern Warfare.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Just read the news. Guess this is the first Season Pass to fall through. Shame!

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

@bawlzinmotion: I would disagree with some of that. I loved both Arkham Asylum and Arkham City but was thoroughly underwhelmed with Arkham Origins, not to mention the marketing for that game lied to every single person that it reached. Arkham Origins was one of my most disappointing games of 2013.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

Just read the news. Guess this is the first Season Pass to fall through. Shame!

What about the one for BioShock Infinite? Zing. (this joke written four months ago)

This stuff really bums me out. I don't own a Wii U, but would really like to one of these days. Hopefully it's still supported by the time I get to it.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@hailinel said:

@crithon said:

The story is actually much, much better than anything in the previous games. The twists are great and there is a reason for Batman to wrestle with all those villains. But the game itself lacks polish and innovation, although I would say that it's better than City overall.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

1. Yet another reason that SEASON PASSES ARE BULLSHIT! Right up there with pre-orders.

2. If developers keep backing shit out of the goddamn Wii U, then OF COURSE the Wii U isn't going to do well. Give people a reason to buy the goddamn thing. A lack of parity with the other versions that exist is just bullshit. Then again, that's the entire mantra of the goddamn industry at this point, isn't it? Lack of parity across things because money.

This whole thing reeks to high heaven. The only thing I can hope for is that this stops at least a few people from ever buying a goddamn season pass again.

Goddamn.

Doskias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That sucks.

I'm having trouble deciding if this is better or worse than how Ubisoft handled Assassin's Creed IV. They stated before the WiiU version of the game was released that they would not be making the Freedom Cry DLC available for the platform. In Origins' case, at least there was a chance it could've happened, but I guess the fact that it didn't makes it more disappointing to people who wanted it.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187: well the season pass for that game basically costume packs, they just announced the whole Ninja Training single player content last month and that got pretty poor reviews. Like if anyone had an excuse to go season pass on most games, Arkham Origins pretty didn't have any good excuses except "Gotham by gaslight costume."

But I do think this is different then just Nintendo's poor network infrastructure and audience, this game didn't perform as well as expected and WB is cutting corners considering how much they were expecting. And this is one of those weird "They got Tomb Raider results but still were expecting more." There's a real problem with this industry where they seem to be getting forecast predictions all wrong and then just slashing up their own business because it sold 4 million units.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:

1. Yet another reason that SEASON PASSES ARE BULLSHIT! Right up there with pre-orders.

The difference is you can buy season passes after the game's release, once the dlc is actually out and you know what you're getting, and you get a discount that is often pretty significant.

People just need to stop buying things they don't actually want.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@ghostiet said:

@hailinel said:

@crithon said:

The story is actually much, much better than anything in the previous games. The twists are great and there is a reason for Batman to wrestle with all those villains. But the game itself lacks polish and innovation, although I would say that it's better than City overall.

I've actually heard it said from die hard Batman fans that the story in Origins is one of the best Batman stories ever told, period.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

@ghostiet said:

@hailinel said:

@crithon said:

I've actually heard it said from die hard Batman fans that the story in Origins is one of the best Batman stories ever told, period.

I said what now?

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

The amount of time it would take to port existing content to an existing game would be so low that it really says something terrible about the game's sales or how unbelievably difficult it much be to make content for the Wii U.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By crithon

@kidavenger: in deed, there were over 5 studios working on the game from the credits. Like Iron Galaxy worked on this game.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@jakob187: Equal third party support won't fix the terrible branding or the stupidly high price. Why buy a Wii U port when you can just get the exact same game for the decade old 360 or PS3?

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@crithon said:

@xyzygy said:

@ghostiet said:

@hailinel said:

@crithon said:

I said what now?

Yeah, I wouldn't go that far. It was a good story but it's nowhere near the level of something like Death in The Family, Dark Knight Returns or The Killing Joke. Not to mention that the New 52 stories (Court of Owls and Death of the Family) are absolute classics as well.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon said:

@xyzygy said:

@ghostiet said:

@hailinel said:

@crithon said:

I said what now?

Yeah, I wouldn't go that far. It was a good story but it's nowhere near the level of something like Death in The Family, Dark Knight Returns or The Killing Joke. Not to mention that the New 52 stories (Court of Owls and Death of the Family) are absolute classics as well.

Yes, well the thing is, Batman is the Madonna of comic book characters. You can have the fun of adam west, or the gritty realism of year one. And well this game does have a good story at least if it were a film I'd enjoy it. Still, the odd thing about this games are they're references to writers. And there's a Jeph Lobe reference and his work is enjoyable but it's still this simple design to really make the artists shine with beautiful art, because as much as fans love Lobe's writing he did write Comando so he's still got a very simple story telling. And then there's Paul Dini, because Asylum and City never came off like his writing, those games felt more like Lobe's writing.

And well, I do think Origins has an excellent story, still feel it is better view then play. City, which is the one everyone rags on actually isn't as bad as people make it out to be. It's a cheap excuse to have a fight with Clayface, Ra's Al Ghul and Joker and it looks beautiful at it.

No Caption Provided

What origin does really well, it does make Joker and Batman relationship work as if they are two sides of a coin. It s fun to watch, and if your a fan it does tickle a lot of Alan Moore references.

On a side note, Asylum is suppose to be adaptation of Arkham Asylum. Apparently Grant Morrison gets a nice check from the game.... isn't that crazy?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.