Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: The Telltale Series

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Aug 02, 2016

Telltale Games brings their trademark adventure game style to the city of Gotham, as the Caped Crusader must hunt down a group of terrorists known as the Children of Arkham while investigating a new conspiracy about his family's legacy.

Without spoiling anything, how is the Telltale Batman series?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By NTM

Poll Without spoiling anything, how is the Telltale Batman series? (53 votes)

It's great! 25%
    It's okay. Not bad, but not great. 25%
    It's bad. 8%
    I'm not sure. Let's see what others thought. 36%
    Other. 8%

I just bought both of them since they came bundled and were cheap on PS4. I probably would have never bought it otherwise and my interest level was never too high for it. I like what I've played of Telltale games though (the Clementine The Walking Dead trio; The Wolf Among Us, and The Back to the Future [which was okay, but my least favorite of the bunch]), and I really like Batman. I also have the Borderlands game on PS4 and the One as it came free on both, but I don't really care to play it despite hearing that it's good. I was just wondering what all your takes on one and/or the other are, but please don't spoil anything story wise as I obviously haven't played any of it yet. Thanks.

Edit - Oh, if I wasn't clear enough, I meant that I bought both season one and two.

• 
    nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By nicksmi56

I can't speak to them from a gameplay perspective, since I watch Telltale games on YouTube instead of buying them, but as a Batman fan I adore all the interesting ways that they decided to shake up the Batman universe and the people in it. It really is like watching a very enjoyable Elseworlds movie and is probably my favorite Batman content in years.

Bonus points for not following the "Batman can beat Superman, Goku and Jesus all while being blindfolded with both hands tied behind his back" train of thought that turns one of my favorite superheroes into the most irritating douchebag ever when it's used.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I got about halfway through Season One before falling off for no good reason. It is definitively a Telltale-style game, for better or for worse, but the Batman set dressing was a big appeal to me. The game works very hard to manufacture a unique presentation for the Batman mythos. This is a very young and mostly untested Caped Crusader who has a LOT to learn about the way the underworld works and--most importantly--how the Wayne surname fits into it all.

It worked in most cases major cases for me, but some changes to the lore felt arbitrary (The Penguin, for instance, is Bruce Wayne's age--and is a childhood friend of Bruce himself).

If you like the Telltale stuff and have at least a passing interest in Batman, there's probably no reason you won't like this series.

Also, while it might not be worth mentioning, I think the Telltale Batman suit is one of the best in recent memory.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved it. We finally got the Bruce Wayne story in game form that I've waited for in a long time.

The big reveal at the end of Episode 2 is one of the strongest moments that Telltale's put out.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FrostyRyan

Loved it. We finally got the Bruce Wayne story in game form that I've waited for in a long time.

The big reveal at the end of Episode 2 is one of the strongest moments that Telltale's put out.

This makes me want to immediately get it

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've only played Season 1, but I absolutely loved it. After the Arkham series, it's nice to have a smaller-scale Batman story of similar quality. Can't wait for Season 2 to finish so I can binge on that.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've also only finished Season 1 (got S2 ready to play soon). I loved it too. I was definitely burnt out on the Telltale style but this one brought me back in. Maybe because it was Batman and it just felt cool to be both him and playing as a coy Bruce Wayne in convos.

The main villain was kinda stupid, but it does the other characters very well.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't say I loved the first episode, but like other Telltale episodes, it sure does make you go 'oh, now I have to play the next episode to see what's going on'. Also, I haven't kept up with the news on all of this, but I half believed that all of Season 2 was out already. That said, I kind of knew it wasn't since I recently saw GameSpot's review score for Episode 3. Oh, and yeah, the engine behind it isn't great. I didn't run into many issues with the previous Telltale games, but Season three of The Walking Dead and Batman I've noticed issues. Not so much The Walking Dead, but in Batman, the frame rate is all over. I've also noticed in one scene where Bruce is talking to Gordon on a bridge, Bruce's head was hilariously twisted like an owl. It gave me a good chuckle, but it is almost kind of expected so I found it harder to be disappointed or miffed by it. Lastly, other than one possible twist that propels my motivation to play further, which has to do with Bruce's family, the story and dialogue is very predictable and 'been there, done that'.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nicksmi56: Probably neither here nor there, but do you feel you should put the money forward for the game considering the experience you had? (apologies if you ended up doing just that) Would you still be interested in playing it yourself?

Watched roomate play a bit on the Switch and it actually looks pretty intriguing. (though not sure that's the best platform,to experience it on)

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By nicksmi56

@ripelivejam: To be honest, I hadn't really thought about it.

The reason I started watching Telltale games is because I didn't believe there was enough game there for my buck. So I watched it on YouTube, the same way I do for a lot of games I don't plan on buying.

If I had to think about it now, I'd lean towards no though. It's like me watching a movie at a friend's place or on TV. Would the filmmakers be happier if I paid for that? Sure, but I don't want to at the moment and I can always buy it later if the movie is so awesome I HAVE to have it. It's the same principle with this game, except it's probably at a disadvantage since I rarely buy games for the story alone.

I have bought certain games based off what I see in walkthroughs, like Deus Ex: Human Revolution, the Mass Effect trilogy, and the God of War trilogy. But it's usually based off "Wow, I wanna play that!" rather than a sense of guilt for enjoying the walkthrough.

I was tempted to pick up the Switch version of this on Black Friday in order to make my own decisions on it, but wound up passing on it. Too much else out there I wanted to play.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beat the first Season. It was okay.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

I played through the game last year on disk (once the 1st "season was complete). I thoroughly enjoyed it. Once the rest of the 2nd season has come out, I will most likely buy the disk again and give it a go.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have it. Haven't even played it yet. This Telltale formula is boring and stale.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the first episode of Season 2. I enjoyed the first episode of Season 2 more than anything in the first season. It also helps that it technically just runs better. I didn't notice any glaring visual issues like the first. I also thought the dialogue and story overall were better and more exciting. It was genuinely surprising too.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't want to spoil anything but... Batman is Bruce Wayne.

When you find that out, everything falls into place.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NTM

I beat all the available episodes to Season Two so far, and I have to say, it's very compelling. I am really liking it a lot. The way it diverges from the comics or any other story introduces mystery to where it's not overly predictable. It's interesting to see how 'John Doe' (AKA The Joker) sits in the story, where he is basically the lowliest, most sympathetic and naive character of the bunch of criminals. It's like Joker and Harley Quinn switched roles, although that's not entirely fitting a way to describe the characters. It's very good. I also chuckled at many moments and felt for characters which I didn't really get from the first episode so much. The dilemma Bruce/Batman finds himself in is also interesting. There are also some moments where Batman and Bruce have to change in little time, and playing both sides to the characters is fascinating. One moment I'm giving John tips as Bruce, then the next I'm being distant, almost attempting to crush his soul.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Worth playing, and the first season is free on psn soon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.