Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battle Chef Brigade

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Nov 20, 2017

Join Mina and other contestants as they slay fantasy beasts in a 2D brawler to enter Iron Chef-like cooking contests.

Indie Game of the Week 190: Battle Chef Brigade

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

Edited By Mento  Moderator
    No Caption Provided

A third of my Indie Game of the Week itinerary are "huh, what is this?" impulse buys, a third are leftover bundle inclusions I naturally seem to accrue like a rock gathers moss (unless it's rolling, of course), and the third are purchases I attribute to the knowledgeable vox populi of this very site. Battle Chef Brigade, a game all about cooking monsters, was rated very highly by the Giant Bomb community (including Ben Pack, who placed it 7th in his GOTY list) in the already competitive year of 2017. For whatever I reason, I was laboring under the illusion that it was another Valkyrie Profile-inspired action-RPG from screenshots (there's been a number of those lately, not that I'm complaining): it is, in fact, a brawler with relatively little RPG seasoning that instead uses a fusion of match-three puzzle gameplay to complete a richly versatile flavor profile. (Sorry for the terminology; this always seems to happen with cookery shows.)

The titular Battle Chef Brigade is a royal unit of warrior chefs who not only keep the peace by fighting off the ever-present hordes of monsters everywhere, but turns their meat and other by-products into delicious meals for all to enjoy. The brawler part has you hunting these monsters down with a selection of battle skills and spells, collecting their spoils, and carting them back to the kitchen pantry. With enough ingredients, the player can then drop them one at a time into a skillet and juggle around the various colored gems to maximize the "score" of the resulting meal. As most of the game revolves an Iron Chef style contest, both halves of this process are strictly timed, with the player shrewdly rationing their time between gathering ingredients and cooking up the meal, and it only becomes more chaotic when the game introduces multiple judges to appease, and thus multiple meals to create. You're able to prepare for these contests, somewhat, with a selection of equippable items: some assist with the hunting (e.g. new techniques, more health or mana), ingredient usage (e.g. sauces, which change the elemental composition of the meal), and the cooking itself (e.g. different pans and cookware, including slow cookers where you can leave meals to improve gradually on their own while you go out hunting). There's a wide variety of items to suit any approach, including those that reward bonus score by completing extra objectives, or maybe if you crash and burn on one challenge you can re-enter with equipment that improves your odds on the next attempt (say, a fire-element focused meal challenge would benefit a lot from bringing in fire-element focused gear).

My favorite part of the competitions are these overly theatrical introductions to the contest, the judges, and the
    My favorite part of the competitions are these overly theatrical introductions to the contest, the judges, and the "theme ingredient" for the contest by Fantasy Chairman Kaga here. Cooking is very serious business in this world.

The cookery contests are also wisely broken up with some smaller challenges, framed here as temp work that Mina performs to afford new tools and ingredients for her future bouts. These include two jobs that focus purely on the match-three puzzle aspect: one has the "puzzle" mode sometimes found in games of the block-matching genre, where you need to reach the target goal with a fixed arrangement of gems and moves and must carefully suss out the correct path to take, and the other has you complete a series of gem arrangements as quickly as possible in succession. The third focuses on the combat instead, teaching you your character's techniques and how best to take down tough or maneuverable foes. They all serve to improve your skills for the competition, but feel distinct enough that they also provide a small reprieve between the high-stress chef showdowns.

I also want to mention the game's remarkable presentation. In addition to being one of the most wholesome games I've played - your protagonist Mina Han is in direct competition with a number of talented chefs from all over this vaguely fantasy world, almost all of whom she befriends immediately despite the stakes (and steaks) - the anime-styled art direction and hand-drawn graphics are uniformly excellent, with some catchy and suitably epic (for a cooking contest, at least) music throughout. The story takes some unexpected detours also, slowly building up a potential catastrophe in the backdrop of the competition and everyone's involvement in trying to fix the issue. It's a mature form of storytelling in the more egalitarian sense of a group of smart, empathetic people working together to calmly and scientifically address a problem, making the occasional missteps along the way and sparking relatable conflicts. I was definitely expecting something a lot sillier and broader given the premise, though there's plenty of levity throughout (an overly sensitive orc patisserie chef, for instance, or a girl who is followed everywhere by her teapot mech).

The game is constantly introducing new wrinkles to its extant systems. These cracked gems vanish if you move them too many times, so you need to quickly plan around that. Poison and bone fragments can also create (non-)tasty problems.
    The game is constantly introducing new wrinkles to its extant systems. These cracked gems vanish if you move them too many times, so you need to quickly plan around that. Poison and bone fragments can also create (non-)tasty problems.

Like any good meal, Battle Chef Brigade is a lot more than the sum of its many ingredients; an attractive and compelling hybrid of two disparate genres framed with the fast-paced anxiety and mouth-watering culinary expertise of an Iron Chef cookery contest, and many little features and mechanics that serve that central conceit. It definitely feels like they started with the concept and worked backwards, but still pulled it off adroitly. Yet another delicious morsel hidden in the massive feast of quality titles that 2017 brought to our collective tables.

Rating: 5 out of 5.

< Back to 189: Four Sided FantasyThe First 100> Forward to 191: Reventure
    sawtooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sawtooth

Nice write up. This game is really unique and I found it super satisfying, without over staying it's welcome. I want to give a shout-out to the local multiplayer as well. You have the three characters, each who have different combat skills and special powers for collecting ingredients, as well as a variety of different recipes that they make depending on what starting ingredient they use. On top of that, there's variability in the cooking equipment, player trinkets and specialty cooking items, which you get to pick a loadout of at the start of each competition. Some interesting strategies in there for sure. The combat feels alright-ish, the levels are pretty small and easily learned, the puzzle cooking element is intriguing. Everything combined together makes for a pretty tasty game. Warning though, it will make you hungry.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.