Battleborn is a sci-fi fantasy first-person shooter developed by Gearbox and published by 2K for the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC on May 3, 2016. The PC version was later made free-to-play on June 6, 2017.
A "hero shooter" in the same vein as Blizzard's Overwatch, Battleborn combines elements from class-based teamplay shooters (such as Team Fortress 2) with hero-based MOBAs (such as League of Legends). In addition to a story-based mission mode (where up to five players team up against AI-controlled enemies), the game includes a variety of multiplayer modes (from the arena-based "Capture" to the MOBA-based "Incursion").
By playing the game, players can unlock additional perks for their characters and randomized gear that provides further buffs and abilities. The game later added a microtransaction system.
2 teams of 5 players apiece fight against each other in various modes for dominance.
- Incursion: Teams must escort their AI-controlled minions to help destroy their enemy's base while defending their own from a similar attack.
- Capture: A fast-paced team deathmatch style mode where heroes must capture and hold specific objectives to win.
- Meltdown: Teams must escort their minions as they march towards a grinder, while preventing their opponents from doing the same.
- The Eldrid - An ancient order of scientists and observers who seek to protect the natural order of the universe, nearly driven to extinction by the Varelsi.
- The Jennerit Imperium - One of the first factions to take up the fight against the Varelsi, until the evil warlord Lothar Randain staged a coup and aligned the Jennerit with the Varelsi to avoid being consumed. The ones that stayed loyal against Randain continue to fight for Solus.
- United Peacekeeping Republics - Also known as the "Peacekeepers", the UPR is a coalition of civilizations fighting to preserve what's left of their ideals of freedom, security and equality.
- Last Light Consortium - A weapons manufacturer and the greatest economic power left in the universe, the LLC are driven mainly by the pursuit of profit with multiple cyborgs in its employ.
- The Rogues - Misfits, renegades, and other unaffiliated people who make their home far away from the other factions, but events conspire to band them together to save Solus.
The game was initially released with a roster of 25 playable Heroes, each split up into three roles (Attackers, Defenders, and Supporters) and five factions (Eldrid, Jennerit, Peacekeepers, LLC, and Rogues). As of the release of Beatrix, this total was increased to 30 Heroes.
Prior to a February 2017 update, characters must be unlocked by completing missions and leveling up their command rank.
- Benedict (Peacekeepers, Agile / Pusher)
- Caldarius (Jennerit, Agile / Skirmisher)
- Deande (Jennerit, Stealth / Assassin)
- El Dragón (LLC, Agile / Skirmisher)
- Ghalt (Peacekeepers, Controller / Disruptor)
- Marquis (LLC, Territorial / Sniper)
- Mellka (Eldrid, Agile / Assassin)
- Orendi (Rogues, Agile / Skirmisher)
- Oscar Mike (Peacekeepers, Versatile / Pusher)
- Pendles (Rogues, Assassin / Stealth) - Added on August 4, 2016.
- Phoebe (LLC, Brawler / Assassin)
- Rath (Jennerit, Agile / Assassin)
- Thorn (Eldrid, Agile / Sniper)
- Whiskey Foxtrot (Rogues, Versatile / Assassin)
- Attikus (Jennerit, Disruptor / Brawler)
- Boldur (Eldrid, Tank / Brawler)
- Ernest (Peacekeepers, Territorial / Pusher) - Added on September 1, 2016.
- Galilea (Peacekeepers, Territorial / Brawler)
- ISIC (LLC, Tank / Disruptor)
- Kelvin (Eldrid, Controller / Brawler)
- Montana (Peacekeepers, Controller / Initiator)
- Shayne and Aurox (Rogues, Stealth / Initiator)
- Toby (Rogues, Adorable / Territorial)
- Alani (Eldrid, Healer / Controller) - Added on May 31, 2016.
- Ambra (Jennerit, Versatile / Healer)
- Beatrix (Jennerit, Sniper / Controller) - Added on January 26, 2017.
- Kid Ultra (LLC, Pusher / Healer) - Added on November 3, 2016.
- Kleese (LLC, Territorial / Shielder)
- Miko (Eldrid, Combat / Healer)
- Reyna (Rogues, Rescuer / Shielder)