Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 2

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jun 21, 2005

DICE's large-scale multiplayer shooter moves to the present day in this acclaimed sequel, whose online community has remained active for nearly a decade.

Battlefield 2 question

Kycon90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Kycon90

Im picking up battlefield 2 for the first time now, and I just want to know if I should get the regular game by itself for $10, or the collection edition that comes with the expansion and booster packs for $30.

Pretty much what im asking is, is it worth it for $20 more, do that many people use them?

Jake_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Jake_K

As a proud BF2 and Special Forces owner, I must say that both of those are great.

I lost interest in BF2 around the time the boosters started coming out, so I can't tell first hand, but I had some friends who where dissapointed with them.

That being said, it looks like special forces is about the same price as the collector's edition which has it in it.... so go with that I guess.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Diamond

Even when the booster packs were fairly new, hardly anyone played them.  I wouldn't be surprised if you could only find a server or two for some of the boosters.

That's one thing that I never understood about the BF series, BF1942 had the AMAZINGLY fun Secret Weapons of WW2 pack, but hardly anyone ever played it, I always had a hell of a time finding a server with people and a decent ping.

The BF community is shit, they only ever want to play 1-3 of ALL the maps.  I wish they'd take away the choice from players, because the players are shitheads.

Jake_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jake_K
    @Diamond said:
    " The BF community is shit, they only ever want to play 1-3 of ALL the maps. "
    Pfft. nobody likes China maps anyways. :P
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By mikemcn

Get the complete there are alot of special forces servers (Although i had trouble patching this game so their might be alot more )

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Eurobum

Why would you buy a multiplayer game which came out in 2006? Only small maps are available for "single player" bot matches and most of them have hardly any vehicles.

EA killed the community, because the Expansion and Booster Packs weren't compatible with the core game. You couldn't rotate new and old maps on one server - the people were more or less forced to play the same bunch of maps and choose between 5 different Versions of BF2. The majority went with the Battlefield 2 Vanilla, and virtually nobody played the Booster Packs and the Expansion a few weeks after their release. Imagine buying a booster pack with new vehicles and 3 new maps, yet not being able to play it beyond screwing around on empty servers because there aren't enough people online.

Later there were some amazing mods, but EA smothered those releasing their own mod "BF 2142" for full retail price, splitting the community once again.

Battlefield also introduced exprience points to FPS, so most dumbasses actually prefered racking up those points "leveling up" their rank, rather than trying out new and exciting mods. Because of the stats system people used to "whore" vehicles like f**cking maniacs for points rather than playing strategically. Later BF2 was overrun with hackers and cheaters. In so far I agree with Diamond, even though I blame the Developers and EA - the publisher. BF2 did contribute to the demise of PC gaming, with its uneven hardware performance extremely oscilating frame rates and the fact that you could see your enemies better with low lighting settings, which looked really ugly.

Honestly, the whole story of the Battlefield franchise is a tale of disappointment, forum rage and bad decisions. That's when I learned the hard way not to buy games from big publishers like EA or Activision.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Eurobum said:
    " Why would you buy a multiplayer game which came out in 2006? Only small maps are available for "single player" bot matches and most of them have hardly any vehicles. EA killed the community, because the Expansion and Booster Packs weren't compatible with the core game. You couldn't rotate new and old maps on one server - the people were more or less forced to play the same bunch of maps and choose between 5 different Versions of BF2. The majority went with the Battlefield 2 Vanilla, and virtually nobody played the Booster Packs and the Expansion a few weeks after their release. Imagine buying a booster pack with new vehicles and 3 new maps, yet not being able to play it beyond screwing around on empty servers because there aren't enough people online. Later there were some amazing mods, but EA smothered those releasing their own mod "BF 2142" for full retail price, splitting the community once again.Battlefield also introduced exprience points to FPS, so most dumbasses actually prefered racking up those points "leveling up" their rank, rather than trying out new and exciting mods. Because of the stats system people used to "whore" vehicles like f**cking maniacs for points rather than playing strategically. Later BF2 was overrun with hackers and cheaters. In so far I agree with Diamond, even though I blame the Developers and EA - the publisher. BF2 did contribute to the demise of PC gaming, with its uneven hardware performance extremely oscilating frame rates and the fact that you could see your enemies better with low lighting settings, which looked really ugly. Honestly, the whole story of the Battlefield franchise is a tale of disappointment, forum rage and bad decisions. That's when I learned the hard way not to buy games from big publishers like EA or Activision. "
    interesting story i play battlefield2 and i enjoyed reading this documentary thank you

answering the OP's question: buy the regular game without any expansion packs and dont patch to 1.4 or all that, just the basic 1.0 game and play online. its the best multiplayer shooter i have ever played and still play til this day and its amazing.
    gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By gearhead

Just buy Special Forces. It gives you good weapons for the regular maps in the original game, and the maps there are also fun. The other expansions were fun but had little life. I would recommend playing on the HOG server or the Hardcore Older Gamer Servers. It used to be my old clan before I left the game entirely, but they run a great servers.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I remember when I got Special Forces, being apple to rappel and zip line was just awesome...
    -reminisces-

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.