Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 2

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jun 21, 2005

DICE's large-scale multiplayer shooter moves to the present day in this acclaimed sequel, whose online community has remained active for nearly a decade.

Why isn't this game more popular?

SgtMustang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SgtMustang

I know that being a game released about 4 years ago, it's doing pretty well, but what I don't get is, why do people appreciate games like COD so much, I believe the Battlefield series, at least the PC ones are lightyears ahead of most of the console run and gun games like COD. The battles are huge, lots of tactics are needed, theres tons of vehicles and jets and stuff, but people tend to like games like the Call of Duty series, which have small maps which involve little to no tactics, and rarely have any vehicles, so I ask you, why do you think this game doesn't have the huge following it deserves?

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By breadfan

I'm guessing most people went onto Battlefield 2142, but I believe there is still a fairly large player base.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By CL60

It was very popular when it was first released.

havelava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By havelava
    @SgtMustang said:
    " I know that being a game released about 4 years ago, it's doing pretty well, but what I don't get is, why do people appreciate games like COD so much, I believe the Battlefield series, at least the PC ones are lightyears ahead of most of the console run and gun games like COD. The battles are huge, lots of tactics are needed, theres tons of vehicles and jets and stuff, but people tend to like games like the Call of Duty series, which have small maps which involve little to no tactics, and rarely have any vehicles, so I ask you, why do you think this game doesn't have the huge following it deserves? "
    I think you answered your own question, people don't really care about tactics anymore.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Because this generation is AD fucking HD and they need something quick fast and easy to get into, Battlefield takes team work and tactics which take time, but I'm hoping a ton for Battlefield Bad Company 2 as it turning out to be a great game without the ADHD, although you could probably play the game as a COD player.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RsistncE
    @Bucketdeth said:

" Because this generation is AD fucking HD and they need something quick fast and easy to get into, Battlefield takes team work and tactics which take time, but I'm hoping a ton for Battlefield Bad Company 2 as it turning out to be a great game without the ADHD, although you could probably play the game as a COD player. "

This and the rapid, consolification (which I guess is really the same thing that Bucketdeth said) of popular franchises. 

Hey you know, because if 12 year olds can't play it, it isn't worth making! </sarcasm>
    EddieMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EddieMD
    @Bucketdeth said:
    " Because this generation is AD fucking HD and they need something quick fast and easy to get into
    Exactly.  Me and my roommates were just talking about this.  A large shooter sounds so good right now.  COD tends to reward only the individual's deeds and never feels like more is going outside of the intense, quick skirmishes.  I don't really believe MAG'll complete this task without vehicles.  Crap, I find it tough to believe anyone besides DICE can do it, but here's hoping.  I really do want something massive but "focused" again.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@RsistncE said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:

" Because this generation is AD fucking HD and they need something quick fast and easy to get into, Battlefield takes team work and tactics which take time, but I'm hoping a ton for Battlefield Bad Company 2 as it turning out to be a great game without the ADHD, although you could probably play the game as a COD player. "

This and the rapid, consolification (which I guess is really the same thing that Bucketdeth said) of popular franchises.   Hey you know, because if 12 year olds can't play it, it isn't worth making! </sarcasm> "
    Haha true that man. 

@EddieMD said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    " Because this generation is AD fucking HD and they need something quick fast and easy to get into
    Exactly.  Me and my roommates were just talking about this.  A large shooter sounds so good right now.  COD tends to reward only the individual's deeds and never feels like more is going outside of the intense, quick skirmishes.  I don't really believe MAG'll complete this task without vehicles.  Crap, I find it tough to believe anyone besides DICE can do it, but here's hoping.  I really do want something massive but "focused" again. "
    I'm hoping for MAG to be great and not take to much from COD, but the big game I'm looking forward to is BF:BC2, and Dice would be the ones to pull it off.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Vinchenzo

I played Battlefield when it dropped to $20. I still like MW2 more, it's much faster. Battlefield had health, which sucked because I had to hide and keep stabbing myself with the medic needle. If Battlefield 2 still has health, it will surely suffer.

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AgentofChaos

Actually, if I remember correctly when 2142 came out, it was not well recieved by the BF2 players and BF2 was quite popular for a long time. Recently they made the expansions free.

EddieMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EddieMD
    @Bucketdeth:  Yeah, I think Zipper is good enough to make it fun, but right now the number seems like nothing more than novelty to me.  High Five on BFBC2, though.  A return to big combat sounds fun, and hopefully won't (as   RsistncE said) so 12 year-old-centric.  Man, all this is making me nostalgic of BF2. lol 
    lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lucas_kelly

It was popular when it came out but nowadays its not very accessible to new people. I've been playing 2142 for ages now and I still get killed a lot.

Celegus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Celegus

It's definitely not for everyone. I love FPS games, but absolutely hated everything about BF2. I suffered through quite a bit of it too, to simply justify my purchase and hope it grew on me. Ended up hating it even more and more everytime I played until the point where friends asking me to play with them couldn't even get me to pop that cd in. IMO, any FPS Valve makes is 100x better than anything DICE or IW can make.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pause422
    @Br3adfan said:
    " I'm guessing most people went onto Battlefield 2142, but I believe there is still a fairly large player base. "
    Thats a joke, 2142 was no where near as good as BF2.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Diamond

In my eyes the community went to shit, EA fucked up patch releases, hacks became widespread.  I never liked how big of an advantage people with lots of unlocks had in BF2, and the way EA handled when the servers were hacked and people exploiting unlocks was pathetic.  It became not fun for me to play, personally.  I don't know if things have improved at all since then.

People enjoy the COD unlock system because it's better designed.  The advantages of climbing into a tank or jet before anyone else can get into it in the BF series also turns a lot of people off.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a06726367912
    deactivated-5a06726367912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd still play BF2 but I can't get the damn patch to install!

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By L33tfella_H
    @Br3adfan said:

" I'm guessing most people went onto Battlefield 2142, but I believe there is still a fairly large player base. "

2142 didn't catch on. Also, to answer the OP's question, BF 2 still (in a sense) is popular. What i mean by this is, i could install the game right now, and i'd see atleast 100-200 servers up there, and this is why a dedicated community can help a game live long and (moderately) prosper.
    Prymet1me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Prymet1me

I think about installing it every now and then but dont feel like doing all the patching, but loved the game when i played it. Hoping for BF3 details soon. It better be 32vs32

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By turbomonkey138

It was ...in its day it was the go too class based shooter on the PC . But now people have moved on . There is still a fair amount of people playing this game now though .

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Jadeskye
    @turbomonkey138: nice necropost O_o 

edit: mah bad, turbo.  

@Prymet1me: You! nice necropost.
    Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By MachoFantastico

Great game, but I'm looking forward to Battlefield 3. Whenever we actually see that, for now we have Bad Company 2 I guess. 

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @jadeskye said:
    " @turbomonkey138: nice necropost O_o 

@Prymet1me: You! nice necropost. "
    MEGA MECROPOST
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Jadeskye
    @turbomonkey138: C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @turbomonkey138 said:
     MEGA MECROPOST "

Whats a mecropost?
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Tennmuerti said:
    " @turbomonkey138 said:
     MEGA MECROPOST "
    Whats a mecropost? "
    ITs a cross between a necro post and mega :D:D:D:D
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @turbomonkey138: Kewl
    Prymet1me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Prymet1me
    @jadeskye said:
    " @turbomonkey138: nice necropost O_o 

@Prymet1me: You! nice necropost. "

Thanks for eyeing this thread and adding to it as well.
    Prymet1me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Prymet1me

THREAD RESURRECTED

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.