Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

9 minutes of Battlefield 3 Caspian Border gameplay

• 70 results
    Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By awesomeusername
    @Zedap said:
    @awesomeusername: And inFamous2 Festival of Blood :P October is a very good month 
    But which is better?  

October: 
    inFAMOUS 2: Festival of Blood 
    Battlefield 3 
    Batman: Arkham City 
    Rage 

November: 
    Skyrim 
    Uncharted 3 
    Saints Row 3 
    Ac Revelations 
    Need for Speed The Run 

Yeah, November wins. Hahaha. But this a great Fall. September has Dead Island, Resistance 3, GoW Origins collection and Ico and Shadows of the Colossus collection. Next year is going to be amazing also!
    squirrelnacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By squirrelnacho

I wonder how much smaller that map will be on the console version.  The action will definitely be less intense.  Will they feel empty?  The footage reminded be of battlefield 2 and not bad company which is a good thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Potter9156 said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

You know what I loved about BC2 that is returning to BF3? Hardcore mode. All issues people had with the game (Bullet sponges, 3d spotting, kill cams, etc etc) are gone with one flick of the switch.

Yeah. I can't stand to play non-hardcore anymore. 3d spotting is an abomination. I have no idea why DICE ever thought it was a good idea.

I think it serves a purpose for certain players. I'm generally indifferent to the spotting, I never used it, but didn't really have a problem with it. My issue was the bullet sponginess. But hardcore remedies that problem.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By mosdl

I wonder if hardcore will switch to squad-leader only spawning. That way they can appease the hardcore fans.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#55  Edited By Seppli
    @awesomeusername said:

@Zedap said:

@awesomeusername: And inFamous2 Festival of Blood :P October is a very good month 

But which is better?   October: inFAMOUS 2: Festival of Blood Battlefield 3 Batman: Arkham City Rage  November: Skyrim Uncharted 3 Saints Row 3 Ac Revelations Need for Speed The Run  Yeah, November wins. Hahaha. But this a great Fall. September has Dead Island, Resistance 3, GoW Origins collection and Ico and Shadows of the Colossus collection. Next year is going to be amazing also!
    October: Starting-off the month with RAGE. It releases on the 7th of October around my parts. Guessing it will keep me well satisfyied for the 20 days up to BF3's release. Batman : Arkham City is high on my 'wanna play list'; but I might wait 'til it drops in price somewhat. Past BF3, which releases on the 27th in Europe, I won't care about much anything until I had my fill (or up to my SW:TOR early access). Guess from then on I'll start to cleanse my palette with different games between long sessions of BF3. But really, if you've got the buck and the time to enjoy RAGE and Batman before BF3, there's no reason why not play RAGE and then Batman and then BF3.

I will get Skyrim, Uncharted 3 and Need for Speed : The Run - though only after their first pricedrop. Guessing I'll go first with NfS:The Run, then Uncharted 3 and finally Skyrim. Sometime in the future. Of course, anything I don't buy immediately might end up unbought. Good games just don't stop releasing ever and the best games have unlimited replayability. So really, I'll likely stick to the 'best' games first and foremost, stuff like BF3 and Diablo 3 and other games of that caliber, rather than spending an awful lot of time on other stuff.

I kinda want to stop spending much time on RPGs and go for stuff like NfS:The Run and the SSX, which are more about 'the joy of the moment' gameplay, rather than being driven by some character developement and story. Kinda like a New Year's resolution. Go for 'fun & games', not for 'interactive plays'.
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By awesomeusername
    @Seppli: Day 1 buys for me would have to be Arkham City, Battlefield 3(which I already have pre-ordered), Uncharted 3 and Assassin's Creed Revelations. I can wait at least until January or February for Rage and Skyrim because I feel like those are going to be plagued with bugs. I can be wrong, but that's just how I feel. The other games like Saints Row 3, Dead Island and NFS The Run can wait because I'm not super excited for them. I need to get Resistance 3, Deus Ex, GoW and Ico collections also but I don't even have a PS3 right now but I'm job searching so I'll have one soon enough so those can wait awhile. On top of these Fall games, since I don't have a PS3, I've been missing out on a lot. I still need to buy Bad Company 2, Dead Space 2, Fear 3, inFAMOUS 2, Killzone 3, GTA: Episodes from Liberty City, L.A. Noire, LittleBigPlanet 2, Mass Effect 2, Portal 2, the ratchet and Clank games, The Sly Collection and Shadows of the Damned. That's what happens when your PS3 decides to poop out on you 2 times in a year and a half. First, it wouldn't play games after having it for only 6 months and not even playing a lot because I only had like 2-3 games and then it got the YLOD.
    SpaceKangaroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 29

#57  Edited By SpaceKangaroo

Could someone clarify what's new about squad spawn?

In the ALPHA I thought it was just a bug that I could spawn on my squad now and then but most of the time it never worked.

QKT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By QKT
    @awesomeusername: metal gear hd collection dammit!
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#59  Edited By Tennmuerti

I prefer a kill-cam in my FPS.
    It tends to greatly reduce camping.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By awesomeusername
    @QKT said:
    @awesomeusername: metal gear hd collection dammit!
    I'd rather not. The only MGS I played was MGS4 and I would've much preferred a movie! The game was good but there was so little actual gameplay, it bored me.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#61  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Fagballs said:

In Bad Company 2, you could spawn on any of your 3 squad mates. 
    In Battlefield 3, the new system (which was technically flawed in the alpha) was that squad members could only spawn on their squad leader (to force teamwork and sticking together), whereas the squad leader can spawn on any of his squad's members (in order to give him a chance to get back in the action quick) 

The BF3 spawn system is perfect, we all love it, yet DICE had to suckerpunch us by implementing the BC2 spawn system again. The squad leader is useless if two/three squad members spawn on each other and leave him alone. We'll have to make sure they change it back in the beta! 

@Tennmuerti

said:

I prefer a kill-cam in my FPS. It tends to greatly reduce camping.

Let's define camping: camping is when a player crouches or lies down in a certain spot on the map and remains there, safe and sound, undetected, farming kills from the other hardworking players as they pass by, or from a distance.

There are five things in Battlefield 3 that are designed to forbid that:   
    1. 3D spotting (spot the guy, put a huge light cone on his head and make everyone turn and shoot at them) 
    2. Scope glint: If you're camping in the same spot for too long, enjoying your mid/long range scope, the sun is gonna reflect on your scope and light up like a flashlight. You better stay on the move or the sun's coming after you 
    3. Directional hit detection: The directional hit detection in BF3 has been improved (red half-a-circle indicating being shot), It now feels more precise and accurate as to showing you the more or less the exact direction and distance of the enemy shooting at you (it's no longer a static red detection half-a-circle, it now has different intensities)  
    4. 2D spotting: When you spot someone, they get spotted on the mini-map showing you exactly where they are 
    5. MAV: The game has a new improved UAV system called MAV, which is promised to be much more agile and efficient in moving around and showing enemies

Those things should be enough for a skilled player to know a camper's location and go get them. 

Now let's look at killcam: Killcam shows you the player, in real time, for the next 3 seconds after they kill you. There is so much wrong with that! 
    Competitive multiplayer is all about developing the skill to be quick, smart, better at using your weapons and gadgets, better and using the environment to your advantage, and most importantly, better at predicting the enemy's tactics and behavior and trying to counter it. 
    You have no chance of of being sneaky, stealth or undetected if there's a cam that hangs above your head showing where you went after you killed the enemy. It simply kills any motivation you have to keep pushing forward with your preferred style when you know that the guy just saw where you went or what you're currently doing. 

And more importantly, some people walk for up to 10 minutes until they reach a good sniping spot. It's extremely unfair to see the sniper's exact location by looking at a camera pointed at them.. 
    I'm not saying they camp, im saying they spend 10 minutes running towards a certain special hilltop or cliff, and when you see them in the camera, their effort to try and find a good sniping spot is gone to waste. They should be given the chance to stay "in that general area" without being seen, unless they camp, which is when the other elements do their job
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

You have no chance of of being sneaky, stealth or undetected if there's a cam that hangs above your head showing where you went after you killed the enemy. It simply kills any motivation you have to keep pushing forward with your preferred style when you know that the guy just saw where you went or what you're currently doing.  And more importantly, some people walk for up to 10 minutes until they reach a good sniping spot. It's extremely unfair to see the sniper's exact location by looking at a camera pointed at them.. I'm not saying they camp, im saying they spend 10 minutes running towards a certain special hilltop or cliff, and when you see them in the camera, their effort to try and find a good sniping spot is gone to waste. They should be given the chance to stay "in that general area" without being seen, unless they camp, which is when the other elements do their job

That's why you stay in place or move in the wrong direction for 3 seconds, then go where you please to your hearts content.

@Ahmad_Metallic

said:

1. 3D spotting (spot the guy, put a huge light cone on his head and make everyone turn and shoot at them) 2. Scope glint: If you're camping in the same spot for too long, enjoying your mid/long range scope, the sun is gonna reflect on your scope and light up like a flashlight. You better stay on the move or the sun's coming after you 3. Directional hit detection: The directional hit detection in BF3 has been improved (red half-a-circle indicating being shot), It now feels more precise and accurate as to showing you the more or less the exact direction and distance of the enemy shooting at you (it's no longer a static red detection half-a-circle, it now has different intensities)  4. 2D spotting: When you spot someone, they get spotted on the mini-map showing you exactly where they are 5. MAV: The game has a new improved UAV system called MAV, which is promised to be much more agile and efficient in moving around and showing enemies Those things should be enough for a skilled player to know a camper's location and go get them.

1, 4 and 5 are only good if someone notices the player in the first place at which point the kill-cam is useless anyway, these are preventative measures designed to counter the person before you got shot not after
    2 that's interesting, but is the glint unidirectional or realistic? (first one seems overkill, second would be completely ineffectual)
    3 in a huge map, no matter if you know the approximate location there are hundreds of spots to hide, secondly if you are sniped with a headshot there will be no damage indicator (i'm assuming)  :)

@Ahmad_Metallic

said:

And more importantly, some people walk for up to 10 minutes until they reach a good sniping spot. It's extremely unfair to see the sniper's exact location by looking at a camera pointed at them.. I'm not saying they camp, im saying they spend 10 minutes running towards a certain special hilltop or cliff, and when you see them in the camera, their effort to try and find a good sniping spot is gone to waste. They should be given the chance to stay "in that general area" without being seen, unless they camp, which is when the other elements do their job

A good sniper will change his position after only a few kills.
    This is expected.
    A bad sniper that will stay in the same spot deserves to be killed.
    Killcam does not prevent the sniper from staying in the general area it prevent him from staying in the exact same spot.

PS: why is the dude walking for 10 mins? A. he is being a drain on hi team by not contributing anything at all for that time. B. dude should really catch a ride :)
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By jmrwacko

I like kill cam. It reduces camping and makes the game less frustrating because it's easier to get nemesis kills. That said, server admins have the option of turning kill cam off.

I didn't like the squad leader system even when it worked because the respawn timer is too short for killing the squad leader to send a squad back to the uncap. It would work better if the squad leader has twice the respawn time as everyone else, and gets more assist points for friendly respawns to compensate.

JimmyRedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By JimmyRedd

I'm just glad we're still fighting Russians for some reason.  Never get tired of stickin it to the Reds.

SpaceKangaroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#65  Edited By SpaceKangaroo

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@Fagballs said:

In Bad Company 2, you could spawn on any of your 3 squad mates.
    In Battlefield 3, the new system (which was technically flawed in the alpha) was that squad members could only spawn on their squad leader (to force teamwork and sticking together), whereas the squad leader can spawn on any of his squad's members (in order to give him a chance to get back in the action quick)

The BF3 spawn system is perfect, we all love it, yet DICE had to suckerpunch us by implementing the BC2 spawn system again. The squad leader is useless if two/three squad members spawn on each other and leave him alone. We'll have to make sure they change it back in the beta!

Aha, hmm ALPHA just had some janky UI issues then. My brain explodes when I try to think of 64 players and no Commander :(

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Tennmuerti said:
    That's why you stay in place or move in the wrong direction for 3 seconds, then go where you please to your hearts content. 
    Sounds like a fun ruse, but i beg to differ. Experienced players never waste a single moment during the action, im always moving according to my plans, always throwing C4 in the right places to surprise people, or hiding in a dumpster for 2 seconds just to welcome the approaching enemy car (that i see was spotted on the minimap) with a rocket to the face 
    In real time, during the action, having a camera hang ontop of your head for 3 seconds can really damage the flow of your gameplay. I've had waaay too many cheap kills by watching the guy then quick spawning and going over to their exact location 

2 that's interesting, but is the glint unidirectional or realistic? (first one seems overkill, second would be completely ineffectual)
     How do you mean? It's a light coming out of your scope that attracts attention to you 

A good sniper will change his position after only a few kills. This is expected. A bad sniper that will stay in the same spot deserves to be killed.Killcam does not prevent the sniper from staying in the general area it prevent him from staying in the exact same spot.  PS: why is the dude walking for 10 mins? A. he is being a drain on hi team by not contributing anything at all for that time. B. dude should really catch a ride :)

Hmm, I guess you're right. Sniping is dirty business, you're taxed by being forced to stay on the move and not remain on a single patch of land even if it took you half an hour to get there. True!
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

How do you mean? It's a light coming out of your scope that attracts attention to you

I mean in reality the glint of the scope works like a light bunny. It is basically a very directed beam of light. Therefore the only way to see the glint of the scope is if the position of both the sun and the scope itself are perfectly aligned at a proper angle in order to travel to your position. Hence the probability of actually seeing the glint of the snipers scope is insignificant to none.

So how does in work in BF3 to actually matter?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Tennmuerti said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

I mean in reality the glint of the scope works like a light bunny. It is basically a very directed beam of light. Therefore the only way to see the glint of the scope is if the position of both the sun and the scope itself are perfectly aligned at a proper angle in order to travel to your position. Hence the probability of actually seeing the glint of the snipers scope is insignificant to none.

So how does in work in BF3 to actually matter?

No it's not realistic in BF3, they don't care much about realism, they care about balance! 

The scope glint in BF3 = a blinding flashlight that exposes you. I think you can only see it if you're looking at the scope from the front, rather than the sides/from behind as well, but i'm not sure
    ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By ShockD

Why do they have to put Red Dot, ACOG, Reflex and I don't know what else on every weapon?! They're killing the whole joy from the aiming. An AK-74u as accurate as a PSG-1. Enough.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Vodun

@leebmx: Someone needs to establish a global standard sign for sarcasm on internet forums.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.