Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Armored Kill.. My multiplayer heaven finally materialized

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Edited By AhmadMetallic
    In their tongue, he is Dovahkiin - Dragonborn!
    In their tongue, he is Dovahkiin - Dragonborn! "Fus Ro Dahhh"

Sometimes I dread the day I began playing Battlefield 2. It's as if I had suddenly become wealthy and afforded eating the most expensive dish I could find on this entire planet, and then after becoming addicted to it, it went extinct or became an inedible substance that remains only as a sweet memory. Nothing that came before it even compares to it, and nothing that comes after it hits the spot like it did.

Many dishes had its colors, its size and even its smell, but did any of it actually taste like it? Nothing did.

Then Battlefield 3 was announced, just when the Battlefield 2 well had completely dried up (most of the community had moved on, the server admins went nuts with their rules, the clans lost their mojo and, tech-wise, the game just grew old). I went mad with the anticipation of a sequel to the million dollar dish that I've been starving for for years. I'm sure most of you remember that I single-handedly drove these forums nuts with BF3-mania and anticipation, Alpha and Beta debates, an organized community of 500 soldiers with our own servers and all that. I especially remember this rant blog that exploded like a beautiful pinata!

Good times were had in the months leading up to the release, and even better times were had with you guys running in the stock maps and B2K maps, but did any of it hit my spot? Did I feel like I'm finally back in the virtual heaven I had been kick out of? Sadly not. Until...

Armored Kill

Armored Kill is out, a 4-map expansion pack which, according to a DICE employee's post on the late EAUK forums months ago, was designed specifically for those who were dissatisfied with the size and flag placement of the stock maps. That's me, son.

My favorite thing about this expansion is the mother flipping artillery!

To many people still, Battlefield is about Conquest and Conquest alone. It is the arcade-ish pseudo-realistic virtual military experience whose power relies in its map design; maps that are a few kilometer large, and have nothing less than 7 control points (flags) scattered around the hills and rivers of these maps, difficult to reach, and randomly placed in a way that makes you THINK before you decide which flag to travel to, whether it's gonna cost you time, whether it's too close to the enemy base and will be taken back, whether a tank or a helicopter spawns there that you can use, whether your teammates are around it to help you or whether you'll be on your own.

No Caption Provided

These maps have the scale that is very reminiscent of Battlefield 2. They have the amazing vehicle variety of jets, attack choppers, little birds, transportation choppers, jeeps, ATVs, heavy tanks, destroyer tanks, artillery trucks and AA vehicles.

But more importantly, to me anyway, are the flags. If you look at the picture above, you'll see how far apart the flags are and how many geographical obstacles there are between them. Traveling from a flag to another is no longer achieved by jumping off a low cliff in a matter of seconds (Caspian Border), it is now a trip to be made to conquer the enemy's control points. This is your conquest, as it should have been since the game was released.

I don't have much else to say other than that this is my multiplayer heaven finally materialized after a long time of being in hell. I'm very happy with DICE taking notice of the dissatisfied Battlefield "veterans" and actually making us our "own" DLC even though they sold ridiculously.

Yet.... Something's missing

While I'm content and thankful for this content (seewhatididthere?), something is missing. Some of these are silly, some of them may seem unnecessary, but I still miss them or think they should exist for the Battlefield experience to be complete.

No Caption Provided
    • Serious lack of communication - No one gives any orders for their squad to work together. No one uses the Commo Rose to have a social feel that makes you feel that you're running with other human beings. The chat is mostly used for Admin spam, and the occasional message from a dissatisfied player. In the BF2 days, everyone gave orders and use voice commands, you continuously felt like you had human team mates who had a mutual purpose and the intent to help one another. Now it's nothing but the same VO lines that we've been hearing since the game launched. To me, a 64-player gig on a massive map feels empty and dead when jets aren't colliding in the air.
    • Empty safe bases - Click on these two pictures to see how barren and deserted the carrier and main base are: Pic 1, Pic 2... In BF2, it actually felt like those bases were the "home" of the team where people camped the jets and helicopters, knifed each other, picked each other up and went into the battle.. Now, after driving off at the beginning of the round, those massive bases remain empty. It sucks is all.

Here's a video I made in my BF2 days which shows how everyone was everywhere doing everything, not just crowded on a flag somewhere:

• Restraint - No body wants to take a break and look around. No body wants to enjoy the moment and fight without a tank once in a while. BF3 is a continuous restless race for tanks, the tanks spawn immediately, everyone is jumping into them and everyone else is playing Engineer to take them down.
    • Squad names - In past BF titles, squads actually meant something. You make your own squad and you give it a name like "TEAMWORK" or "SNIPERS" or "C4 FUN", which divided people among those squads based on their interests. Now squads consist of 4 green-named strangers who mostly use each other to spawn near the action. Their mutual interest as squad members ends there.

And one thing that's not making me play much anymore is the lack of friends to play with. The game had a great momentum with the awesome PC community of Giant Bomb, but now that I no longer organize gamenights and since people have moved on to other games, I feel the gang has disbanded. And I'm just not in the mood to join a clan, because most clans are probably young XP-hungry kids, either that or overly serious military fanatics.

Anyway...

It's time for your bed time story

This isn't the most amazing thing ever, but it's my first memorable Armored Kill moment.

In a destroyer enjoying the weather while capping the E flag
    Hmmm....
    Hmmm....
    IT'S ARTILLERY BRO RUUUUUUUUN
    I drive forward quickly and watch the beautiful death rockets fly by
    Am I in Iraq?
    Am I in Iraq?
    I back up to continue the flag capture, and the artillery launches again
    I back up some more and watch it hit my previous position

This continued for quite a while.... I must've dodged that guy's arty about 6 times until the flag finished capturing.

This was amazing to me. One of the defining aspects of Battlefield 2 was the Commander who rained hellish artillery on the enemies' heads trying to clear out a contested flag, and it was amazing for two reasons:

1. You could, after a while during a round, see the commander's style and patterns, and predict where he wants to hit next, and when he likes to hit, which allowed you to anticipate it and evade it.
    2. When you became experienced enough, you could actually hear the artillery cannons pumping in the distance, which meant that in 4 seconds it's gonna start raining on you..
    Here's what the arty cannons looked like, which were usually placed somewhere on the end of the map far away from the action
    Here's what the arty cannons looked like, which were usually placed somewhere on the end of the map far away from the action
    And here's a little taste of what those babies could do, and what it felt like to escape them and wait for their rain to end
    And here's a little taste of what those babies could do, and what it felt like to escape them and wait for their rain to end

The fact that someone somewhere was in an artillery vehicle waiting for his team's flags to get attacked and shooting his arty in the air trying to hit that position to protect his flag, restored my faith in the Battlefield 3 experience and community.

It felt like a commander was hiding somewhere firing artillery on me.. I need to find that guy and thank him.

As always, I leave you with a BF3 video

Thanks for reading.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    In their tongue, he is Dovahkiin - Dragonborn!
    In their tongue, he is Dovahkiin - Dragonborn! "Fus Ro Dahhh"

Sometimes I dread the day I began playing Battlefield 2. It's as if I had suddenly become wealthy and afforded eating the most expensive dish I could find on this entire planet, and then after becoming addicted to it, it went extinct or became an inedible substance that remains only as a sweet memory. Nothing that came before it even compares to it, and nothing that comes after it hits the spot like it did.

Many dishes had its colors, its size and even its smell, but did any of it actually taste like it? Nothing did.

Then Battlefield 3 was announced, just when the Battlefield 2 well had completely dried up (most of the community had moved on, the server admins went nuts with their rules, the clans lost their mojo and, tech-wise, the game just grew old). I went mad with the anticipation of a sequel to the million dollar dish that I've been starving for for years. I'm sure most of you remember that I single-handedly drove these forums nuts with BF3-mania and anticipation, Alpha and Beta debates, an organized community of 500 soldiers with our own servers and all that. I especially remember this rant blog that exploded like a beautiful pinata!

Good times were had in the months leading up to the release, and even better times were had with you guys running in the stock maps and B2K maps, but did any of it hit my spot? Did I feel like I'm finally back in the virtual heaven I had been kick out of? Sadly not. Until...

Armored Kill

Armored Kill is out, a 4-map expansion pack which, according to a DICE employee's post on the late EAUK forums months ago, was designed specifically for those who were dissatisfied with the size and flag placement of the stock maps. That's me, son.

To many people still, Battlefield is about Conquest and Conquest alone. It is the arcade-ish pseudo-realistic virtual military experience whose power relies in its map design; maps that are a few kilometer large, and have nothing less than 7 control points (flags) scattered around the hills and rivers of these maps, difficult to reach, and randomly placed in a way that makes you THINK before you decide which flag to travel to, whether it's gonna cost you time, whether it's too close to the enemy base and will be taken back, whether a tank or a helicopter spawns there that you can use, whether your teammates are around it to help you or whether you'll be on your own.

No Caption Provided

These maps have the scale that is very reminiscent of Battlefield 2. They have the amazing vehicle variety of jets, attack choppers, little birds, transportation choppers, jeeps, ATVs, heavy tanks, destroyer tanks, artillery trucks and AA vehicles.

But more importantly, to me anyway, are the flags. If you look at the picture above, you'll see how far apart the flags are and how many geographical obstacles there are between them. Traveling from a flag to another is no longer achieved by jumping off a low cliff in a matter of seconds (Caspian Border), it is now a trip to be made to conquer the enemy's control points. This is your conquest, as it should have been since the game was released.

I don't have much else to say other than that this is my multiplayer heaven finally materialized after a long time of being in hell. I'm very happy with DICE taking notice of the dissatisfied Battlefield "veterans" and actually making us our "own" DLC even though they sold ridiculously.

While I'm content and thankful for this content (seewhatididthere?), something is missing. Some of these are silly, some of them may seem unnecessary, but I still miss them or think they should exist for the Battlefield experience to be complete.

No Caption Provided
    • Serious lack of communication - No one gives any orders for their squad to work together. No one uses the Commo Rose to have a social feel that makes you feel that you're running with other human beings. The chat is mostly used for Admin spam, and the occasional message from a dissatisfied player. In the BF2 days, everyone gave orders and use voice commands, you continuously felt like you had human team mates who had a mutual purpose and the intent to help one another. Now it's nothing but the same VO lines that we've been hearing since the game launched. To me, a 64-player gig on a massive map feels empty and dead when jets aren't colliding in the air.
    • Empty safe bases - Click on these two pictures to see how barren and deserted the carrier and main base are: Pic 1, Pic 2... In BF2, it actually felt like those bases were the "home" of the team where people camped the jets and helicopters, knifed each other, picked each other up and went into the battle.. Now, after driving off at the beginning of the round, those massive bases remain empty. It sucks is all.

Here's a video I made in my BF2 days which shows how everyone was everywhere doing everything, not just crowded on a flag somewhere:

• Restraint - No body wants to take a break and look around. No body wants to enjoy the moment and fight without a tank once in a while. BF3 is a continuous restless race for tanks, the tanks spawn immediately, everyone is jumping into them and everyone else is playing Engineer to take them down.
    • Squad names - In past BF titles, squads actually meant something. You make your own squad and you give it a name like "TEAMWORK" or "SNIPERS" or "C4 FUN", which divided people among those squads based on their interests. Now squads consist of 4 green-named strangers who mostly use each other to spawn near the action. Their mutual interest as squad members ends there.

And one thing that's not making me play much anymore is the lack of friends to play with. The game had a great momentum with the awesome PC community of Giant Bomb, but now that I no longer organize gamenights and since people have moved on to other games, I feel the gang has disbanded. And I'm just not in the mood to join a clan, because most clans are probably young XP-hungry kids, either that or overly serious military fanatics.

Anyway...

It's time for your bed time story

This isn't the most amazing thing ever, but it's my first memorable Armored Kill moment.

Hmmm....
    Hmmm....
    Am I in Iraq?
    Am I in Iraq?

This continued for quite a while.... I must've dodged that guy's arty about 6 times until the flag finished capturing.

This was amazing to me. One of the defining aspects of Battlefield 2 was the Commander who rained hellish artillery on the enemies' heads trying to clear out a contested flag, and it was amazing for two reasons:

1. You could, after a while during a round, see the commander's style and patterns, and predict where he wants to hit next, and when he likes to hit, which allowed you to anticipate it and evade it.
    2. When you became experienced enough, you could actually hear the artillery cannons pumping in the distance, which meant that in 4 seconds it's gonna start raining on you..

The fact that someone somewhere was in an artillery vehicle waiting for his team's flags to get attacked and shooting his arty in the air trying to hit that position to protect his flag, restored my faith in the Battlefield 3 experience and community.

It felt like a commander was hiding somewhere firing artillery on me.. I need to find that guy and thank him.

As always, I leave you with a BF3 video

Thanks for reading.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By laserbolts

Wow haven't seen you write about this game in a while. I just wish the console version was as epic as it should be. These maps just seem like they would be too empty to justify buying this DLC. Should have enough Money to finally buy the beast PC I have waited for next month and it will be glorious.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By big_jon

Good read.

JackOhara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By JackOhara

Worth purchasing then? Playing BF3 makes me want to go back and play Bad Company 2, I miss Rush on Harvest Day

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Giantstalker

I've been playing nothing but AK for the past couple days. It really is what it's been hyped up to be, with a couple minor caveats;

• The gunship. I don't know if this thing is fun; it's extremely easy to take down, but while it's up, ground pounders get treated to sudden & unforeseeable death. Moreso than usual, I mean. It also breaks Rush.
    • Total lack of IFV's on the new maps. I would have liked seeing them fight it out with tank destroyers and MBT's (especially since they put in a new unlockable tag specifically for this class of vehicle).
    • More than ever, guided weapons mean that smoke is a must-have. This bums me out as it means advanced optics will NEVER get used on vehicles, because not taking smoke is tantamount to suicide.

While Armored Kill has the hands-down best maps in the game, I still feel there's a place for Firestorm, Caspian, and Kharg along with the B2K offerings. But Alborz Mountains, I could (and have) play that map all day.

gametrkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By gametrkr

Lets not forget how pretty the new effects are.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By me3639

What the hell is going on here? I have read 2 articles on GB today from gamers who are happy playing games! WTF? Nice read AhmadMetallic.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@laserbolts said:

Wow haven't seen you write about this game in a while. I just wish the console version was as epic as it should be. These maps just seem like they would be too empty to justify buying this DLC. Should have enough Money to finally buy the beast PC I have waited for next month and it will be glorious.

I thought you had already bought your new PC? Well good luck with your purchase :)

@JackOhara said:

Worth purchasing then? Playing BF3 makes me want to go back and play Bad Company 2, I miss Rush on Harvest Day

If you miss Rush from BC2 on Harvest Day, I really doubt you're gonna enjoy these BF2-ish Conquest maps.

ChillyUK7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By ChillyUK7

In the BF2 days, everyone gave orders and use voice commands, you continuously felt like you had human team mates who had a mutual purpose and the intent to help one another.

See I loved BF2 but I heard one person talk in 200hrs and the extent of the tactics seemed to be attack/defend flags just like BF3. Im sure if you make an effort, join a server with teamspeak or something/playing with friends youl get the communication you crave.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.