Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Battlefield 3 Beta Invite Inside Medal Of Honor Limited Edition

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Edited By mattbodega

Between the success of the Bad Company franchise on consoles and the wide variety of projects DICE has been spread across these past few years, I was legitimately unsure as to whether the core Battlefield franchise would ever get its next proper sequel. I mean, some people were even speculating that, by bringing Bad Company 2 to the PC alongside the other versions, EA and DICE were not-so-subtly implying that Bad Company was the proper successor to the Battlefield franchise, and that any new, proper Battlefield had long since been pushed aside to make way for other projects.

But, lo and behold, friends: Battlefield 3 is still absolutely a thing. Today, EA announced that all the Limited Editions of Medal Of Honor would come with a voucher that would, eventually, guarantee a spot in a Battlefield 3 beta. The proper, real-ass sequel to Battlefield 2. Battlefield 3 is still coming out.

Everyone: take a moment to remember your time playing Battlefield 2.

Good times.
     Good times.

OK, now come back to the story. We've got things to discuss. This news story brings up questions we need answered.

== TEASER ==First of all, the game doesn't actually come with the beta on the disc or anything like that. Instead, the beta will be properly released at a later date. Furthermore, the Battlefield 3 beta information site specifies that invite is only valid provided that the beta is released "within 12 months of Medal of Honor's release, according to the official site. Given Medal of Honor's October 12 release date, it seems likely that Battlefield 3 will probably be touching down in late 2011 or early 2012, right? DICE is not Blizzard, and first-person shooters usually don't go into year-long open beta testing. So, it's entirely probable that Battlefield 3 release is still a ways off.

The other more interesting discussion, however, is about which platforms Battlefield 3 is being released on. On that same Battlefield 3 beta information site, EA states that, "Xbox GOLD membership required for Xbox users." It's possible that this is just some poorly worded boilerplate text or something, but that seems to imply that there will be a 360 version of Battlefield 3... meaning that Battlefield 3 is probably coming to consoles as well as the PC.

With a console release now a possibility, just how different will Battlefield 3 be from Bad Company 2?
     With a console release now a possibility, just how different will Battlefield 3 be from Bad Company 2?

A console release of a numbered Battlefield would mark a huge departure from the previous messaging about the future of the Battlefield franchise. By giving the console iterations of the game a different franchise name in Bad Company, EA and DICE sent a message that these console versions of Battlefield were definitely offshoots of the core, "real" franchise. To me that says that Battlefield 3, when it did come out, would be a PC-exclusive, and Bad Company was not intended to be Battlefield 3. 

However, these beta invites are going out with the PC, PS3, and 360 Medal of Honor Limited Editions. Take that along with the messaging on the site and it wouldn't be far-fetched to expect Battlefield 3 on consoles as well as PC.

Granted, it's probably still way, way early to say any aspect of Battlefield 3 is set in stone, and there's at least a year until the game ships. Regardless, Battlefield 3 is coming, but who can say what form it will take when it finally arrives?
    mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mattbodega

Between the success of the Bad Company franchise on consoles and the wide variety of projects DICE has been spread across these past few years, I was legitimately unsure as to whether the core Battlefield franchise would ever get its next proper sequel. I mean, some people were even speculating that, by bringing Bad Company 2 to the PC alongside the other versions, EA and DICE were not-so-subtly implying that Bad Company was the proper successor to the Battlefield franchise, and that any new, proper Battlefield had long since been pushed aside to make way for other projects.

But, lo and behold, friends: Battlefield 3 is still absolutely a thing. Today, EA announced that all the Limited Editions of Medal Of Honor would come with a voucher that would, eventually, guarantee a spot in a Battlefield 3 beta. The proper, real-ass sequel to Battlefield 2. Battlefield 3 is still coming out.

Everyone: take a moment to remember your time playing Battlefield 2.

Good times.
     Good times.

OK, now come back to the story. We've got things to discuss. This news story brings up questions we need answered.

== TEASER ==First of all, the game doesn't actually come with the beta on the disc or anything like that. Instead, the beta will be properly released at a later date. Furthermore, the Battlefield 3 beta information site specifies that invite is only valid provided that the beta is released "within 12 months of Medal of Honor's release, according to the official site. Given Medal of Honor's October 12 release date, it seems likely that Battlefield 3 will probably be touching down in late 2011 or early 2012, right? DICE is not Blizzard, and first-person shooters usually don't go into year-long open beta testing. So, it's entirely probable that Battlefield 3 release is still a ways off.

The other more interesting discussion, however, is about which platforms Battlefield 3 is being released on. On that same Battlefield 3 beta information site, EA states that, "Xbox GOLD membership required for Xbox users." It's possible that this is just some poorly worded boilerplate text or something, but that seems to imply that there will be a 360 version of Battlefield 3... meaning that Battlefield 3 is probably coming to consoles as well as the PC.

A console release of a numbered Battlefield would mark a huge departure from the previous messaging about the future of the Battlefield franchise. By giving the console iterations of the game a different franchise name in Bad Company, EA and DICE sent a message that these console versions of Battlefield were definitely offshoots of the core, "real" franchise. To me that says that Battlefield 3, when it did come out, would be a PC-exclusive, and Bad Company was not intended to be Battlefield 3. 

However, these beta invites are going out with the PC, PS3, and 360 Medal of Honor Limited Editions. Take that along with the messaging on the site and it wouldn't be far-fetched to expect Battlefield 3 on consoles as well as PC.

Granted, it's probably still way, way early to say any aspect of Battlefield 3 is set in stone, and there's at least a year until the game ships. Regardless, Battlefield 3 is coming, but who can say what form it will take when it finally arrives?
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By warxsnake

Multiplatform Battlefield 3?  

:/ 

mrariscottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By mrariscottle

Nice one!

Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Colin

How about invite the people from there silly battlefield veteran program thing.  Also multiplatform BF3 makes me sad.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By VoshiNova

awesome

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ryax
    @Colin said:
    "

How about invite the people from there silly battlefield veteran program thing.  Also multiplatform BF3 makes me sad.

"
    it makes me sad as well. i was really hoping for a PC exclusive
    fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#7  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

It will be interesting to see if they manage to get the huge scope of the PC Battlefield games to console, because I really hope they won't be scaling the PC game down because of console limitations.

It's good to see the "original" franchise continuing on, and by the way, DICE recently (last year) released a huge (1.3 GB) patch for Battlefield 2 - version 1.5 - that unlocked the DLC for all players and removed some of the copy protection (like the CD check and the requirement to activate the game on EA's Battlefield 2 site - since the URL for that doesn't work anymore).

So, now you can play the game on your modern flashy laptop without a DVD/CD drive (for owners of the retail that is, owners of the digital versions obviously didn't have to have any disc at all, but I'm not sure if the 1.5 patch has been applied to Steam and other digital distributors).

TACOBOY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TACOBOY

...goddamit.
    Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By buzz_killington

So how is it going to be different from the Bad Company series?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Why would I want to play something normal like Battlefield 3, when I didn't even play either Bad Company with their goofy-ass characters? I kid of course, but still. 

Avatar image for deactivated-6442941ed320c
    deactivated-6442941ed320c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

What's wrong with multi-platformness? It means that more people get to enjoy what will hopefully be an awesome game. I'm sure that DICE will play up to the strengths of each platform and enhance the PC's unique points, likewise the console's, and make sure each release gets a solid game that is not watered down.

dangerousdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By dangerousdave

As long as this feels like a sequel to Battlefield 2 then I don't mind if it's multi-platform or not.  I just don't want a sequel to Bad Company 2.

nick69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By nick69

I really hope dice puts all their attention to pc. 

JoeMarsden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JoeMarsden

Multi-platform Battlefield 3. That basically means it's not what Battlefield 3 should be, which is the sequel to Battlefield 2. Sure, i'm repeating what people have already said, but this potentiality saddens me greatly. I'm still playing Battlefield 2 often, and I really was hoping for something directly related to that.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Binman88

I really wish BF2 had native widescreen support - I would reinstall it today if that were the case. I miss infantry matches on Karkand and Jalalabad, piloting the Havok and raping the HQ on Sharqi Peninsula, and late night jet battles over the Daqing oilfields. :(

Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Colin
    @Ryax said:
    " @Colin said:
    "

"
    it makes me sad as well. i was really hoping for a PC exclusive "

Well the way Dice always put it they made it sound like Bad Company was console verson of Battlefield and that Battlefield 3 was the hot PCness but I guess things changed.
    EvolutionX0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EvolutionX0
    @Colin said:
    "

Also multiplatform BF3 makes me sad.

"
    Why?
    jeffk38uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By jeffk38uk

I dont get the hate on it going multiplatform, or this hope it would remain PC exclusive. I assume its the idea that its going to be "dumbed down" and therefore not the game old fans expect it to be. Times change, and BC2 showed you can have a great experience of Battlefield, console or PC.

Course, BC2 is my first BC game, but having enjoyed that alot, I eagerly anticpate what an actual sequel to Battlefield will be like.

andrewf87462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By andrewf87462

Maybe the BETA invites are for the PC version. So if you buy the 360/PS3 version of MoH, you get an invite to the PC BETA of BF3?
    BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BigBoss1911

Just a gimmick to buy that god awful game(if that beta was any indication of the final product)

Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Colin
    @EvolutionX0 said:
    "@Colin said:
    "

"
    Why? "

Look at the post above. :P
    Greenshoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Greenshoes

But I dont want MOH

Lvivske

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lvivske

Why do people care if it comes out on consoles as well as PC? Stop being so elitist and let other people enjoy the game 

I have an awesome gaming rig, but given the choice, I'll buy the Xbox version like I did with BC2

EvolutionX0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EvolutionX0
    @Colin said:
    " @EvolutionX0 said:
    "@Colin said:
    "

"
    Why? "
    Look at the post above. :P "
    Just Did, Do you realise that Bad Company 2 is out on PC? If it was intended for consoles it wouldn't be on the PC. Try again. :P  
    jim_dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jim_dandy

Multiplatform BF3 kinda sucks because optimization doesn't seem to get that much priority for PCs. 

A BF3 that is PC exclusive might run better with resources focused on just that platform. 

Otherwise, I can understand the financial reasoning. Multiplatform = fucking GRIP.

CronoXtream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CronoXtream

the first battlefield game i played was battlefield 2 mc on the x360

first2die

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By first2die
    @Lvivske:
    The reason people care is because if it is made for consoles everything is different. 

BF2 had 64 Player Server, if the game is developed for console this will not be possible.  
    BF2 was also a lot more about flying planes, choppers and driving tanks/apcs than the Bad Comapny Series. 

The Bad Company games are great, I own them both but if battlefield 3 is going to be released on all systems the question remains; is this really just bad company 3?
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By scarace360

OMG BATTLEFIELD 3!

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#29  Edited By 234r2we232
    @nick69 said:
    " I really hope dice puts all their attention to pc.  "
    You mean so everyone can pirate it?
    Kikimondingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Kikimondingo

I was having a pretty bad day until I came across this.  No I'm having the worst day thanks to the multi platform nod that was given.  

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @sofacitysweetheart said:
    " @nick69 said:
    You mean so everyone can pirate it? "
    Yes, because a completely multiplayer-focused game like Battlefield 3 is going to lose SOOOO many sales from pirating.  Shut up.

It sucks that it's multiplatform because they'll have to scale back everything so it can run on a 360.  Graphics, server sizes, controls, mods.

Shit sux. :(
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By ch13696

They better make this a fuckin PC exclusive. God damn I will be pissed if it isn't. I let everything else go that was originally an exclusive to the PC (e.g. Call of Duty, Doom, Half-Life) But fuck, if this one gets taken away, then I might as well check myself into an insane asylum.

CylonAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CylonAndrew

hopefully its not an other modern shooter with the killing of crap lousey terrorists and russian guys for no reason.

RollingFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RollingFury

If they can bring the PC Battlefield experience to consoles then it could potentially be an amazing step in console FPS gaming and I'd be all for it, but I have my doubts.  DICE is a solid developer so I wouldn't put it past them to pull that off.  If they just end up making a game like the Bad Company series(which I do love) then I will be disappointed.

Hilfemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By Hilfemaster
    @sofacitysweetheart said:
    " @nick69 said:
    It is multiplayer only so I don't see how piracy would be much of an issue.
    chewii101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By chewii101

Fuck yes. Finally.

rNilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By rNilla

I think Battlefield 2 is one of the last multiplayer FPS games that I played with any serious regularity. Loved BF2.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#38  Edited By MeatSim

Not getting MOH so I guess I won't get into beta but it's Battlefield game so I already kinda know what to expect.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jace
    @Joelteon7: 

You mean just like they did with BC2 right? Right? You remeber how good BC2's MP was? Boy I sure do, WOOO blew me away. 24 people? No Vehicles? Goddamn, I loved the fuck out of BC2. I'm sure dice will pu.........

This is proabably going to be a shitty port to the PC, because they're gonna base everything around what consoles can do. You know what consoles can do? Frostbite, 24 player mp, and motion controls. Pure shit. And before another one of you "lolpirates" people comes in with your ignorant bullshit, let me tell you about pirtaes. See, there was this game released a couple of days ago,  you might have heard of it. Star Craft 2. You know why it hasn't been pirated? Because Blizzard secured it right. Go talk to Valve about piracy on any steam platform, they'll laugh in your face. Now get your head out of your ass and keep reading.

I HAD a couple of strands of nostoalgic respect left for dice. BF1942,2,2142 were some of the most fun I've had online. Wanna guess the most shitty experiences I've had online? Yup. BfBC2 and BF1943. Why? Because they're shallower, simplified, smaller, and more buggy versions of things I've played 8 years ago. Do any of you realise 1942 had 64 online player capabilities with full vehicle and modding implementations? How about that a mod for 1942 is what caused bf2 existance in the first place? Not to mention Bf vietnam was done on 1942 way before it came out.

DICE has become money whores like EA has been for years. So fuck them too now I guess. They can have their shitty console limitation bounded ports. I've got enough Valve and Blizzard to last anyways. Goddamn.
    Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Impossibilium
    @Lvivske said:
    " Why do people care if it comes out on consoles as well as PC? Stop being so elitist and let other people enjoy the game  I have an awesome gaming rig, but given the choice, I'll buy the Xbox version like I did with BC2 "

because when an existing franchise moves to consoles the PC version inevitably gets screwed with limited server sizes, crappy controls, janky graphics and crappy interface with fucking huge icons and type that are designed to be viewed at 1920x1080 (or worse - 720) and navigated by controller .

BF2 had large scale games and an interface that needed more than a controller to operate. BC2 is nothing like BF2 in size or control. BC2 is a run and gun shooter that doesn't even have lean or prone. BF2 had a full commander interface for orders as well as squad controls and commands. On consoles that becomes Battlefield 2 Modern Combat - BF: Lite.

Not to mention DICE have a piss poor time just supporting the PC with patches and a console version would just make it all worse.
    Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jayzilla

this is the ONE franchise that I didn't want to be multi-platform. I have no desire to have a ported version of BF3 on my PC. Does EA even remember what this game means to PC shooter fans? I remember that this was the only title that EA had that no one dissed back in the "EA SUCKS" days. 

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By meteora

I think people are jumping on the gun too quickly. There aren't even details to warrant a bash post on DICE for making BF3 a multiplatform game. For all we know the console version could be the dumbed down ports and the PC one is the superior one. 

Either way, I'm excited.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jace
    @Meteora: 

Yeah clearly, because with dice, the PC has always come out on top. Give it a break.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By jakob187

GET HYPE!!!

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45  Edited By MisterMouse

man that is a cruel way of doing things.

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By gearhead

I played Battlefield 2 for over 250 hours. My excitement for Battlefield 3 cannot be said.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#47  Edited By 234r2we232
    @yinstarrunner said:
    " @sofacitysweetheart said:
    " @nick69 said:
    Yes, because a completely multiplayer-focused game like Battlefield 3 is going to lose SOOOO many sales from pirating.  Shut up.  It sucks that it's multiplatform because they'll have to scale back everything so it can run on a 360.  Graphics, server sizes, controls, mods.  Shit sux. :( "
    You missed the "Yarrrrr" at the end there ;)
    Avatar image for themaniacsgnome
    TheManiacsGnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TheManiacsGnome
    @Jeffk38uk said:
    "I dont get the hate on it going multiplatform, or this hope it would remain PC exclusive. I assume its the idea that its going to be "dumbed down" and therefore not the game old fans expect it to be. Times change, and BC2 showed you can have a great experience of Battlefield, console or PC.  Course, BC2 is my first BC game, but having enjoyed that alot, I eagerly anticpate what an actual sequel to Battlefield will be like. "

If you don't get it you shouldn't comment. None of the console games reach the size of 1942, Vietnam or Battlefield 2, thats why were excited for a PC exclusive Battlefield that could take us back and remember what size a real Battlefield map is. 

If you haven't played the PC and console versions of Battlefield, you've got no wiggle room to comment.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49  Edited By Seppli

Evil plan is evil...

...even more so, because it worked on me.

What a sucker I am.

VipeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By VipeR

YEEEEEEEEEEESS!!
    I didn't buy Bad company 2 because I am waiting for BF3!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.