Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Battlefield 3 Depot for Beginners

• 74 results
    SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SpencerTucksen

I tried to open this thread last night for new players to have somewhere to go and get tips.

Somehow, it was closed last night, so I'm re-opening it and adding some extra tips from myself and the other commenters on both this and the old post below.

Shooting:

• Try to use the mil-dots (the cross-hairs when you aim a gun) to learn how to compensate for bullet drop. When you shoot over long distances, your bullets will drop and lose velocity. Let's say you shoot at someone from a long distance and they were at about the third rung, but the bullet hit their feet. If you adjust and aim a bit higher, you can hit them. After enough time, you won't even need the dots because you will have come to know exactly how the bullets and tank shells drop.
    • Don't go crazy when you shoot. Always remember to shoot in small bursts (3-5 bullets) and aim at people! Shooting from the hip will get you killed since you'll miss far more bullets than you hit. I was about six or seven feet from a guy, and I unloaded an entire AK-74u clip at him from the hip and didn't kill him. He stabbed me. Two lessons learned right there.
    • Even if your aim sucks, lay down suppressive fire. Its the best feature in this game and use it well.
    • Every primary rifle has 2-3 firing modes (full auto, burst, single bullet). Always switch between those modes based on the distance you wanna shoot / the density of the enemy wave in front of you.

Teamwork & Objectives:

• Spot first. Shoot second. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten extra kills from a teammate tagging a guy in a bush or behind trees. it just makes everything better for everyone.
    • Remember to always throw out your ammo and healing packs. You'll get a crazy amount of points because of it. While on the subject, if you have the De-Fib, there is no excuse for you not reviving your teammates. You'll get 100 points from it, man!
    • Remember to take objectives! In conquest, you can get up to 400 points from taking an opponents flag. The objective is 4x more valuable than kills, and you should treat it as such.
    • Fill in roles that are needed. A squad of all Engineers? Switch to Support to give them more rockets!
    • Always join a squad and spawn on your squad to get closer to the action quicker. Two, three and four players work better in this game. Conversely, if you are alone and see all your squad is dead hold up for a few seconds in a safe area and allow them to spawn on you. You will be rewarded for it.
    • Deaths matter. Battlefield Rush and Conquest modes are not a lone wolf affairs. Every time you die it ticks away at your team counter and when that counter hits zero its game over. Don't be stupid and waste life after life running into the same gauntlet of enemy fire. You don't have to hide in a ditch the entire game, just play smart like your life matters because in this game it does.
    • If you're an engineer and you're gunning for a friendly tank, and you see an enemy tank attacking, help the friendly tank kill the enemy one by exiting and using your rocket launcher against the enemy tank.  
    • Always revive downed teammates when you can. You're not a medic for nothing (defibs = unlock)
    • In contrast, do not revive a downed teammates when his body is exposed to enemy fire
    • When you are capturing an enemy flag, don't sit right underneath the flag and expose yourself. You can capture flags in a 10-50 meter radius (depending upon which flag, as they often vary), so make sure to hide in a strategic spot while you capture it 
    • Sometimes run and prone gets you closer to your squad mates making it easier to resupply/heal/defib.
    •  Also if you have a medic on your squad throwing out med packs (or engineer with ammo pack) and your injured / low on ammo, stop and heal don't just run away arms waving only to be blown away 2 seconds later. Replenishes your health and gives medics points.
    • Repairing puts Engineers in a prone position, If a Tank driver needs a repair job the least he or she can do is provide adequate cover for someone to fix it safely, alternatively, always drive with Engineers whenever possible, and stop in good cover after you get hit once. Suppress and move into cover. I've seen so many tank drivers getting all gung-ho thinking that since they've taken a hit the best thing to do is keep shooting, rather than speeding into cover where it can be repaired, No Engineer is going to feel safe about getting in close while a tank is still in the firing line.

Strategy:

• Learn the maps! Once you learn every nook and cranny of a map, you hold the advantage over less experienced players. You'll know where to hide and you'll know when to come out and surprise players.
    • Keep an eye on the location of your squad mates, if you are deep in enemy territory, sometimes its better to wait a few seconds so your squad can spawn on you before you rush in and get picked off. Going from 1 man behind enemy lines to 4 can be a huge deal. 
    • If you have the patience to unlock them, smoke grenades are one of the most woefully underused tactical weapons. Unfortunately, you either have to work your way through two tiers of the m320 tree, or all the way down to the support mortar to unlock them. When you finally do get them though they're an amazingly useful way to help your squad advance on or flank a position. Pop smoke on the enemy sniper position, tanks LMGs to give yourself time to switch positions or charge
    • Use the correct kit for the correct situation. If you're on an urban infantry map that doesn't rely heavily on vehicles, you should go medic or support. If you're in a situation where you see a bloodbath over a control point and you notice many enemy snipers picking off your teammates, grab a sniper rifle and clean up that hill. 
    • At the same time, investing your time with one or two kits will allow you to unlock more, greater weapons and gadgets for said kits. So when a situation doesn't require a specific kit, make sure to use the same kit IF you desire the best unlocks. 
    • Be aware of Tracer Rounds. Muzzle Flash. Scope Glint. Directional Audio.
    • Take the Minimap, Map and HUD Messages into advisement and formulate a plan before you act.
    • Trigger Discipline is key. Don't go loud unless it's the right thing to do.
    • Don't overexpose yourself, unless your certain death can bring victory.
    • Awareness is key to survival and eventually dominance in an organic and structured objective-driven team FPS game. Know who you are, where you are and with whom you are. Know your enemy as best you can. Anticipate. Surprise. Murder. Win.

Movement:

• Use prone intelligently. It makes you a much smaller target, but removes your ability to run the hell away. As someone previously said...when in doubt, crouch.
    • Don't sprint unless you are in an open area or trying to cover a long distance (your spawn to your first checkpoint, as an example). That way, you'll always be the first to shoot, and that's how you win shootouts.
    • When you jump out of an aerial vehicle or off a building, try not to deploy your parachute until you're close enough to the ground (10 meters or so), so you don't float down for too long and become an easy target. 
    • Also Tiananman square style ways to stop tanks do not work, cant stress this enough. (for those who do not understand this reference, "Standing in front of a moving tank style" is the point)

Vehicles:

• Having trouble always being locked onto with the jets? Well stick with it because once you get to 300 points, you'll have earned flares, which is insanely helpful.
    • If you are trying to take down an airplane, have a buddy AA with you. One rocket will get deflected but the second one will almost always hit.
    • Tanks are bad at maneuvering, so don't drive them to places where they will be slowed down or tight corners. Use your tank to take objectives on the outside, i.e. Caspian Boarder, objectives A, B, and E. Your tank will reach these points faster, while your infantry can focus on C and D.
    • If you don't want to repair, at least put down mines. Mines will net you easy points and a easy way to defend objectives from pesky tanks. Also use them on intersections and high traffic areas.
    • Always aim at the back of a tank with a rocket. This will disable it in one shot. Rockets also do more damage from the side and back.
    • If you are an engineer and a tank is near you and looks like it could use some repair even if it doesn't look like it REPAIR IT!

Special Situations:

• Your sidearm can work wonders for you. Instead of reloading, pull out your pistol and just unload on the guy. In Bad Company 2, I had about 1,000 kills with just the M1911. If you're trying to be a sniper, if you don't kill the guy instantly and don't want to wait for the reload, pull out your sidearm and shoot him. I probably got about 400 kills doing that.
    • Up close, remember you have a melee button! The bullets probably won't instantly kill you, so if you're five feet from a guy, you can move up and stab him. It's saved me multiple times so far.
    • Don't be afraid to switch classes if there is a pesky tank that nobody seems to be dealing with. You might not be as good or like the engineer class as much as your favorite, but taking that tank out is going to get you a ton of points and help out the team. Plus you are leveling up another class and making yourself a better, more well rounded player and teammate. 
    • When you equip a Tactical Light or Laser Sight, remember that they produce light or a laser off your weapon constantly, this makes you an easy target in the wrong situations. Turn it on and off using the D-pad!   ALSO: That tactical light is very bright, don't aim at teammates because its blinding them and being very annoying. Try to get into the habit of toggling it and being respectful to your team.
    • Always reload your rocket launcher before switching to your primary weapon (unless you needed to defend yourself at that point). You don't wanna pull out your RPG later on to quickly kill a tank, and find that you have to reload.

So to all of the new guys out there, try to follow these tips and you'll probably have more success than you've been having! Thank you for reading!

Go ahead and add any tips you have, everyone. I will update the thread. 

Extra "Quotes":
                      @SpencerTucksen said: 

• Having trouble always being locked onto with the jets? Well stick with it because once you get to 300 points, you'll have earned flares, which is insanely helpful.
    That's not a very good advice :P  You should link this video as probably the best flying tutorial yet. It's all about gaining altitude to break stinger locks, not being greedy when you go for a quick airstrike, and when under attack: doing a 360 to circle around the plane on your tail

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SpencerTucksen

Come on, guys, you know you have extra stuff to say!

shuref00t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By shuref00t

@SpencerTucksen said:

...but most importantly, don't forget to have fun!

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By scarace360

If you are an engineer and a tank is near you and looks like it could use some repair even if it dosent look like it REPAIR IT!

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SpencerTucksen

@shuref00t said:

@SpencerTucksen said:

...but most importantly, don't forget to have fun!

Exactly! The fun of the game is why I love it so damn much! :D

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SpencerTucksen

@scarace360 said:

If you are an engineer and a tank is near you and looks like it could use some repair even if it dosent look like it REPAIR IT!

I agree completely. If you see a tank on your team, just try to repair it. If nothing happens then you didn't lose anything. If you can repair it, you just got a ton of points. Also, if you "repair" an enemy's vehicle, it will destroy it! If you're out of rockets and you're up close, you might as well just try that!

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By scarace360

Also remember put the team before your self. you are not a one man army. you may be but seriously team play is needed. AND GET ON THE MUMBLE SERVER!

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SpencerTucksen

@scarace360 said:

Also remember put the team before your self. you are not a one man army. you may be but seriously team play is needed. AND GET ON THE MUMBLE SERVER!

Yes! If you try and lone-wolf everything and just get kills, that's how you lose games. If you really need an incentive to be nice, just remember you get a lot of points for helping teammates and you get ribbons for winning rounds.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Cloudenvy

@scarace360 said:

But more often than not it turns out I've confused it with an enemy tank and then I get shot. : (

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By scarace360

@Cloudenvy said:

@scarace360 said:

But more often than not it turns out I've confused it with an enemy tank and then I get shot. : (

i have the big friendly sign on my head look for that then.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By mosdl

@SpencerTucksen said:

Remember to always throw out your ammo and healing packs. You'll get a crazy amount of points because of it. While on the subject, if you have the De-Fib, there is no excuse for you not reviving your teammates. You'll get 100 points from it, man!

This please. I hate spamming "give me ammo" on a guy and he'll just stand there looking at me. You get 20 pts (35 I think for squad mates) for each level you resupply/heal someone, so you can easily get 60-80 pts per person in a few seconds. Versus 100 pts for killing someone.

Also be sure to look at your squad's makeup - 3 engineers? Go for Support and rack up resupply pts like crazy.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Evilsbane

@SpencerTucksen: I have a really dumb question, no where in the Key bindings menu does it tell me which key is used to spot, What key is it? On the PC of course.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @SpencerTucksen:  Great thread. You will get more responses if you format it better, though..  
     Like this: 

*SNIP*

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By clstirens

Yeah, I noticed the thread just imploded last night. Not sure what happened, but there was no feedback from the moderators, so I assume it was a glitch.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SpencerTucksen

@AhmadMetallic said:

@SpencerTucksen: Great thread. You will get more responses if you format it better, though..
    Like this:

I tried to open this thread last night for new players to have somewhere to go and get tips.

Somehow, it was closed last night, so I'm re-opening it and adding some extra tips from myself and the other commenters from last night that I can remember. If you have ANYTHING to add, please comment so that we can give as much detail to the new people as possible.

Shooting:
    • Try to use the mil-dots (the crosshairs when you aim a gun) to learn how to compensate for bullet drop. When you shoot over long distances, your bullets will drop and lose velocity. Let's say you shoot at someone from a long distance and they were at about the third rung, but the bullet hit their feet. If you adjust and aim a bit higher, you can hit them. After enough time, you won't even need the dots because you will have come to know exactly how the bullets and tank shells drop.
    • Don't go crazy when you shoot. Always remember to shoot in small bursts (3-5 bullets) and aim at people! Shooting from the hip will get you killed since you'll miss far more bullets than you hit. I was about six or seven feet from a guy, and I unloaded an entire AK-74u clip at him from the hip and didn't kill him. He stabbed me. Two lessons learned right there.

Teamwork & Objectives:
    • Spot first. Shoot second. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten extra kills from a teammate tagging a guy in a bush or behind trees. it just makes everything better for everyone.
    • Remember to always throw out your ammo and healing packs. You'll get a crazy amount of points because of it. While on the subject, if you have the De-Fib, there is no excuse for you not reviving your teammates. You'll get 100 points from it, man!
    • Remember to take objectives! In conquest, you can get up to 400 points from taking an opponents flag. The objective is 4x more valuable than kills, and you should treat it as such.

Strategy:
    • Learn the maps! Once you learn every nook and cranny of a map, you hold the advantage over less experienced players. You'll know where to hide and you'll know when to come out and surprise players.

Movement:
    • Use prone intelligently. It makes you a much smaller target, but removes your ability to run the hell away. As someone previously said...when in doubt, crouch.
    • Don't sprint unless you are in an open area or trying to cover a long distance (your spawn to your first checkpoint, as an example). That way, you'll always be the first to shoot, and that's how you win shootouts.

Vehicles:

Special Situations:
    • Your sidearm can work wonders for you. Instead of reloading, pull out your pistol and just unload on the guy. In Bad Company 2, I had about 1,000 kills with just the M1911. If you're trying to be a sniper, if you don't kill the guy instantly and don't want to wait for the reload, pull out your sidearm and shoot him. I probably got about 400 kills doing that.
    • Up close, remember you have a melee button! The bullets probably won't instantly kill you, so if you're five feet from a guy, you can move up and stab him. It's saved me multiple times so far.
    So to all of the new guys out there, try to follow these tips and you'll probably have more success than you've been having! Thank you for reading! Go ahead and add any tips you have, everyone. I will update the thread.

I want to copy and paste that. Lol

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @SpencerTucksen:  Go for it
    SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SpencerTucksen

@clstirens said:

Yeah, I noticed the thread just imploded last night. Not sure what happened, but there was no feedback from the moderators, so I assume it was a glitch.

Yeah, I found that to be quite strange. It was developing quite nicely. But oh well, there is this one now!

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SpencerTucksen

@mosdl said:

@SpencerTucksen said:

Remember to always throw out your ammo and healing packs. You'll get a crazy amount of points because of it. While on the subject, if you have the De-Fib, there is no excuse for you not reviving your teammates. You'll get 100 points from it, man!

This please. I hate spamming "give me ammo" on a guy and he'll just stand there looking at me. You get 20 pts (35 I think for squad mates) for each level you resupply/heal someone, so you can easily get 60-80 pts per person in a few seconds. Versus 100 pts for killing someone.

Also be sure to look at your squad's makeup - 3 engineers? Go for Support and rack up resupply pts like crazy.

Exactly. As if helping your teammates isn't enough incentive, you've got a ton of points from just being a help.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By butano

@Evilsbane said:

@SpencerTucksen: I have a really dumb question, no where in the Key bindings menu does it tell me which key is used to spot, What key is it? On the PC of course.

It's 'Q'. As in, what's a player's reaction to being spotted and shotted? QQ

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SpencerTucksen

@Evilsbane said:

I honestly don't know. I tried to Google for it, but couldn't find anything. As a console user, I'm sorry! Lol, I wish I could help!

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SpencerTucksen

@Butano said:

@Evilsbane said:

It's 'Q'. As in, what's a player's reaction to being spotted and shotted? QQ

Good one! Lol

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mfpantst

Ok I'm going to re-say one thing you said, because of them all it's the most important (and most lacking I've noticed):
    FUCKING spam that q key.  That's the spot key.  Press it once on an enemy and he gets a little red carrot that your whole team can see.  This is endlessly helpful.  When you don't do this, it is tirelessly frustrating.  Trust me.  I had some fun on the BR last night but some of you motherfuckers, you don't know how to spot.  if you spot a guy and I shoot him, you get some points.  So Win win.  Also- in the beta you may have noticed you could not spam the Q key.  In the release code it appears this Q key anti spam thing is gone.  In the beta if you hit q like 5 or 6 times in a row it beeped at you and didn't let you spot for a bit.  This is gone as far as I can tell, and I tested the limits of spamming the q key.  so spam it motherfuckers.  It helps if you see guys but are waiting for your shot because maybe someone else has a shot or maybe someone else on your team is going to get killed.  Also if someone is flying a jet or helo and wants to provide some air-to-ground fire, spotting helps them because the pilots and gunners have an idea of where to lay down fire.  I can't tell you how beautiful a sight it is when you're flying a jet in low for a strafing run and there's an enemy tank spotted right in your fire line.  Light him up, disable his tank, get points, win round.  

Ok that's my rant and advice.  Please, it makes you a better team player and the key is right there next to the w key, so easy to use.   I think secondly, remember your CoD training: In the MW2 training level they tell you "it is always faster to switch weapons than to reload."  This is true- and use your pistol.  Prepare to know when your main weapon is out of ammo and when you do and do not have time to reload, and switch to your pistol.  And since the pistol is good up close, use the TACT pistol.  Flashlights are great sight deterrants at <10 yards, right where you should be using a pistol.  If you play support like myself, your main weapon takes 3-5 seconds or more to reload.  Reloading your pistol takes 1-2 seconds.  So once you've used up your main mag (can be alot if you get the extended mags on a base 200 round mag, making for like a 3-400 round mag?), you've still got 30 shots or more from your pistol if the enemy gets close. 

Also with that, if you know the map and know the choke points, you know where enemies come from.  Use your deaths to your advantage.  if you round a corner from a point you are defending and are wiped out by a squad (or two), know the route their most likely to take is the fastest from your flag to where you died, it may be the path you took on your way to your death.  Set up a death trap and slow them down.  Sometimes you may round a corner, get shot by like five dudes, then respawn on the point, set yourself up and kill every one of them.  Sure, they killed you first, but you got the last (and bigger) hurrah. 

Finally, and I'll leave you go at this: get on the mumble.  Right now there is one mumble channel for the whole server.  This is awesome, because it provokes friendly chat and competition and gamesmanship.  Also being on mumble lets strategize.  But do be careful (and mindful). For now, everyone can hear you. So use an economy of words with team orders.  Also use this to your advantage. Sure it sounds 'strange' but if you know who is on the other team, and they all say they're going for A and you start to see some movement, take advantage of this.  They will.  And they should.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AhmadMetallic

under Movement: 

• When you jump out of an aerial vehicle or off a building, try not to deploy your parachute until you're close enough to the ground (10 meters or so), so you don't float down for too long and become an easy target. 

Under strategy:
    • Use the correct kit for the correct situation. If you're on an urban infantry map that doesn't rely heavily on vehicles, you should go medic or support. If you're in a situation where you see a bloodbath over a control point and you notice many enemy snipers picking off your teammates, grab a sniper rifle and clean up that hill.  
    • At the same time, investing your time with one or two kits will allow you to unlock more, greater weapons and gadgets for said kits. So when a situation doesn't require a specific kit, make sure to use the same kit IF you desire the best unlocks. 

under General
    • Always reload your rocket launcher before switching to your primary weapon (unless you needed to defend yourself at that point). You don't wanna pull out your RPG later on to quickly kill a tank, and find that you have to reload. 

under Teamwork: 
    • If you're an engineer and you're gunning for a friendly tank, and you see an enemy tank attacking, help the friendly tank kill the enemy one by exiting and using your rocket launcher against the enemy tank.   
    • Always revive downed teammates when you can. You're not a medic for nothing (defibs = unlock)
    • In contrast, do not revive a downed teammates when his body is exposed to enemy fire

under Shooting:
    • Every primary rifle has 2-3 firing modes (full auto, burst, single bullet). Always switch between those modes based on the distance you wanna shoot / the density of the enemy wave in front of you  

under Objectives:
    • When you are capturing an enemy flag, don't sit right underneath the flag and expose yourself. You can capture flags in a 20 meter radius, so make sure to hide in a strategic spot while you capture it 

@SpencerTucksen said: 
    That's not a very good advice :P  You should link this video as probably the best flying tutorial yet. 
    It's all about gaining altitude to break stinger locks, not being greedy when you go for a quick airstrike, and when under attack: doing a 360 to circle around the plane on your tail
    xdaknightx69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xdaknightx69

please play the objective and drop ammo/med pack whenever u spawn on a team mate or flag ,please for the love of god wait for people to get into the vehicle before you move from deployment.

thornie_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By thornie_delete

Another thing to add re: spotting. Spot vehicles too!

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Contro

@scarace360 said:

Repairing puts Engineers in a prone position, If a Tank driver needs a repair job the least he or she can do is provide adequate cover for someone to fix it safely, alternatively, always drive with Engineers whenever possible, and stop in good cover after you get hit once. Suppress and move into cover. I've seen so many tank drivers getting all gung-ho thinking that since they've taken a hit the best thing to do is keep shooting, rather than speeding into cover where it can be repaired, No Engineer is going to feel safe about getting in close while a tank is still in the firing line.

A tank without a gunner pointing things out is a ridiculous waste, it always ends in disaster faster.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Twisted_Scot
    @SpencerTucksen said:
    always be the first to shoot, and that's how you win shootouts.
    *Scribbles in note book "shoot first" * Gotcha.
     Also if you have a medic on your squad throwing out med packs (or engineer with ammo pack) and your injured / low on ammo, stop and heal don't just run away arms waving only to be blown away 2 seconds later. Replenishes your health and gives medics points. Also Tiananman square style ways to stop tanks do not work, cant stress this enough.
    Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Canteu

Don't destroy vehicles if you can avoid it. Once you've disabled it (you will be informed, with +100 points to boot) try and kill the prey that jumps out of his metal coffin. Jump out of your own metal coffin, preferably handing it over to a team mate, repair the other vehicle, then jolly rodger that shit. After all, 2 tanks are better than 1 especially if 1 of them isn't yours.

Minimap use. I find myself constantly flicking my eyes down and left when i enter an area with high resistance, no resistance or an area with several known camping spots (capture points come to mind). This will keep you aware of enemy positions pretty much constantly and will prevent you getting caught in crossfire.

Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

My few tips:

You don't have to be a good player to be a good squad member, if you can stay close to the action and not get killed for long enough you become a mobile spawn point for the rest of your squad, this is something that I learnt from AhmamMetallic when I managed to get through an entire 30+ minute round and only racked up about 6 kills, I thought I did badly but he said just by my staying in touch with the action he was able to spawn on me on many occassions and that made it easier for him.

Use your map, lots of friendlies dying in a specific area is a good indication of enemy activity, approach that area with caution, don't sprint in, even if you do have a defib kit, remember a dead first aider is no good to anyone. Sometimes it's better to stay alive so your squad mates can spawn on you, see above. But don't be a coward either, if you can see the action has cleared for you to get to that body, then freaking well get to it, with time it becomes easier to make the right judgement call.

Sometimes run and prone gets you closer to your squad mates making it easier to resupply/heal/defib.

If there are four of you all facing one direction, maybe someone should watch everyone elses backs.

My Karate kid tip is a good one, don't get hit.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30  Edited By Seppli

Be aware. Be advised. Trigger discipline.

• Take the Minimap, Map and HUD Messages into advisement and formulate a plan before you act.
    • Defiance!

Awareness is key to survival and eventually dominance in an organic and structured objective-driven team FPS game. Know who you are, where you are and with whom you are. Know your enemy as best you can. Anticipate. Surprise. Murder. Win.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mfpantst

All of you jet pilots out there need to learn the immelman maneuever

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By renmckormack

Remember when you are in the helicopter the first thing to do is fly as high as possible then bail out leaving your teammates to crash to the earth below. The same goes for jeeps, try to aim them at a cliff first though.

Happy Hunting.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SpencerTucksen

@AhmadMetallic said:

under Movement:

Under strategy:

under General

under Teamwork:

under Shooting:
    • Every primary rifle has 2-3 firing modes (full auto, burst, single bullet). Always switch between those modes based on the distance you wanna shoot / the density of the enemy wave in front of you

under Objectives:
    • When you are capturing an enemy flag, don't sit right underneath the flag and expose yourself. You can capture flags in a 20 meter radius, so make sure to hide in a strategic spot while you capture it

@SpencerTucksen said:
    That's not a very good advice :P You should link this video as probably the best flying tutorial yet. It's all about gaining altitude to break stinger locks, not being greedy when you go for a quick airstrike, and when under attack: doing a 360 to circle around the plane on your tail

That's just what one of the guys from the other post said! Lol, I'm horrible with aircraft in this game (much better with BC2, somehow) so I wouldn't put my own tips on there. Lol, I can't even fly competently.

Everything else, I completely agree. Although...most flags are different distances. I have gotten flags from 50 sometimes and had others force me to be within 10 meters. The hiding tactic does remain the same, however.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SpencerTucksen

@Twisted_Scot said:

@SpencerTucksen said:
    always be the first to shoot, and that's how you win shootouts.
    *Scribbles in note book "shoot first" * Gotcha. Also if you have a medic on your squad throwing out med packs (or engineer with ammo pack) and your injured / low on ammo, stop and heal don't just run away arms waving only to be blown away 2 seconds later. Replenishes your health and gives medics points. Also Tiananman square style ways to stop tanks do not work, cant stress this enough.

I totally agree. And the sarcasm was duly noted. Lol

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By N7

I have a question: How are the pistols in this game? In the beta, they were total beast mode. I've never had more fun using a pistol in my life. How were those changed?

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By ericdrum

@mosdl said:

I bitched about this in another thread. If you spawn on your squad, just throw ammo down immediately. I guarantee that you will score an extra 200 points a game just doing that if you don't do it already.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SpencerTucksen

@N7 said:

I have a question: How are the pistols in this game? In the beta, they were total beast mode. I've never had more fun using a pistol in my life. How were those changed?

So far, I'd say they're very good. The weapon I have the most kills with is the M4 (or whatever the starting gun for Assault is) and right after that is my M1911 Tactical.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SpencerTucksen

@ericdrum said:

@mosdl said:

I bitched about this in another thread. If you spawn on your squad, just throw ammo down immediately. I guarantee that you will score an extra 200 points a game just doing that if you don't do it already.

I do it, and can verify this works.

@RenMcKormack said:

Remember when you are in the helicopter the first thing to do is fly as high as possible then bail out leaving your teammates to crash to the earth below. The same goes for jeeps, try to aim them at a cliff first though.

Happy Hunting.

It feels like people really DO do that just to fuck with me. Lol

@Seppli said:

Be aware. Be advised. Trigger discipline.

• Defiance!

Awareness is key to survival and eventually dominance in an organic and structured objective-driven team FPS game. Know who you are, where you are and with whom you are. Know your enemy as best you can. Anticipate. Surprise. Murder. Win.

Completely agree. This is a game of being smart and tactical. Stupidity loses games.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#39  Edited By N7
    @SpencerTucksen: Thanks! I really wish I had some money for this game. Damn Uncharted, Batman, and Skyrim making me broke :(
    ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ericdrum

When you hop in a tank and are going after an objective, there's a lot of stuff going on around and people tend to not notice you until you are on top of them.... unless you are firing off rounds into nowhere announcing to me your imminent arrival so that I can place down my AT mines and harvest points from you. My point, don't shoot your guns until you need to. It will earn you points.

Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Ben99

Battlefield Y U NO PUT KILLSTREAKS ?

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ericdrum

@Ben99: I'm so glad there aren't any. The objective is the only thing that matters in this game. The W rules supreme. Killstreaks encourage individual behaviors. In BF if I go 0 and 15 getting m-com plants and defends and get a win.... I am very happy.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Contro:  Are you gonna add our tips to the OP anytime soon.. ?
    Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Contro: Are you gonna add our tips to the OP anytime soon.. ?

That would be cool, or maybe make a wiki for tips and tricks etc....

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SpencerTucksen

@ericdrum said:

@Ben99: I'm so glad there aren't any. The objective is the only thing that matters in this game. The W rules supreme. Killstreaks encourage individual behaviors. In BF if I go 0 and 15 getting m-com plants and defends and get a win.... I am very happy.

I JUST played a game where I was 7-18, but I got MVP because I had like 5,000 points off of securing flags and kill assists.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SpencerTucksen

@TheKeyboardDemon said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

I'm not sure what the problem is with beginners looking through three pages to see the tips from everyone. If you actually want the help, you'd look through it all anyway, regardless of if it's in the OP or not, no?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @SpencerTucksen said:

@TheKeyboardDemon said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

I'm not sure what the problem is with beginners looking through three pages to see the tips from everyone. If you actually want the help, you'd look through it all anyway, regardless of if it's in the OP or not, no?

Uh, no. No one goes through a thread reading tips, you gotta have them listed and organized in the original post.
    max_mischi3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By max_mischi3f

If you have the patience to unlock them, smoke grenades are one of the most woefully underused tactical weapons. Unfortunately, you either have to work your way through two tiers of the m320 tree, or all the way down to the support mortar to unlock them.

When you finally do get them though they're an amazingly useful way to help your squad advance on or flank a position. Pop smoke on the enemy sniper position, tanks LMGs to give yourself time to switch positions or charge

max_mischi3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By max_mischi3f

Another thing to keep in mind if you're trying to not get killed if you're outnumbered or outgunned... Just go prone and stop moving. I can't tell you how many times tanks have just driven over or around me without noticing.

Lnin0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#50  Edited By Lnin0

Deaths matter. Battlefield Rush and Conquest modes are not a lone wolf affairs. Every time you die it ticks away at your team counter and when that counter hits zero its game over. Don't be stupid and waste life after life running into the same gauntlet of enemy fire. You don't have to hide in a ditch the entire game, just play smart like your life matters because in this game it does.

The only time deaths do not matter is if you are the defending team on Rush. You have unlimited lives so go at the enemy hard because the attacking team does have limited lives.

If the attackers do manage to capture a base don't be afraid to let them kill you so you can quickly respawn at the forward base.

Always join a squad and spawn on your squad to get closer to the action quicker. Two, three and four players work better in this game. Conversely, if you are alone and see all your squad is dead hold up for a few seconds in a safe area and allow them to spawn on you. You will be rewarded for it.

Cycle through and watch the camera to make sure it is safe to spawn.

As said by many always be spotting, Capturing. Healing. Resupplying. Repairing. You gain points for all of this.

mines > vehicles and often overlooked by inexperienced drivers. Great way to rack up quick multiple kills.

gravity exist in this game. bullets drop. aim high.

the best way to avoid being shot from cover is to blow up cover

don't abandon vehicles - damaged or otherwise. since engineers can repair stuff leaving a smoking tank is like gifting the enemy a new tank. you should leave a vehicle only when it blows up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.