Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Battlefield 3 on Consoles Looks Like Battlefield 3 on Consoles

• 147 results
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Jayross
    VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By VisariLoyalist

yeah I don't have the 1000$ to buy a gaming pc that would run that game to its full potential anyway

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Romination

I'm not enough of a graphics whore to care and I know I'll be wowed anyways so... hey.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SomeJerk

Sofa + joypad = good enough for a crazy amount of people.

I have to say though, keep an eye open and don't buy into a pre-order just yet if you want the 360 version and can choose between 360 PS3 PC, words say FrostBite 2 has been a bastard to get running well on the 360 compared to the PS3, which already has taken a downgrading with its very own port. 

Looks freaking amazing for a console game though. Hope you CoD fans are looking forward to another three four years on the same Quake 3 engine.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By time allen

i have no option other than 360. i will be getting it on that.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I was under the impression that the new engine was supposed to scale well. I'll just have to wait until I see it myself.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By Sooperspy

I don't have a gaming PC, so it doesn't matter to me anyway.
    I'll be getting this on 360, since that is what most of my friends have.

Avatar image for deactivated-59601bf090f91
    deactivated-59601bf090f91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By time allen
    @Roundlay: thank yoouuuu
    SadPatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SadPatrol
    @Roundlay

Looks pretty good to me.
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By benjaebe

It looks great to me. Obviously if you have the kind of PC that's going to run the game then that's the platform of choice, but it doesn't look like it's going to be any slouch on consoles.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Origina1Penguin

@Roundlay: Thanks for posting the vid. Looks pretty good to me. I think console buyers will be plenty satisfied.

Balex1908

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Balex1908

Looks fine for me. I would never upgrade or build a new pc just for one game, no matter how good it looked.

yorick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By yorick

I would prefer to play it on PC but I will enjoy it perfectly fine on consoles in the meantime. I just hope it has a decent framerate.
    Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Funkydupe

Funny how they always show the singleplayer missions and not the multiplayer.. I guess they really do want this to be more than a multiplayer game these days. I don't see what's wrong with just doing multiplayer really well. We've seen this exact same part on PC and I couldn't see the difference. Show me multiplayer and we'll talk.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Marz

not interested in single player footage ;(  

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Sambambo

Meh, Id much rather play with friends, and I dont have a single friend who has a gaming PC.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

That looks pretty damn good to me.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Sambambo

@SadPatrol said:

@Roundlay
    Looks pretty good to me.

I thought Fallon was meant to be a gaming guy? He seems as if he has never held a controller whenever he plays a game :S

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By dagas

I barely remember how to play an FPS on PC anymore =P I think HL2 episode 2 was the last one I played on PC.

chickdigger802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By chickdigger802

@Funkydupe said:

Funny how they always show the singleplayer missions and not the multiplayer.. I guess they really do want this to be more than a multiplayer game these days. I don't see what's wrong with just doing multiplayer really well. We've seen this exact same part on PC and I couldn't see the difference. Show me multiplayer and we'll talk.

Kinda hard to get that all setup in that stage lol.

It looks decent, but I do wonder if the console player cap would affect the MP game that much. I remember BF2 scaled depending on the total amount of people in the server.

VictoryBlixt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By VictoryBlixt
    @Funkydupe: No its because a multiplayer demo is much harder to show because you have to have working servers, a reliable internet connection, people to play the game against, no guarantee that bombastic action will be shown in a short amount of time and all kinds of other unpredictable and difficult to manage variables, A single player demo is safe, controlled, easy to do, and guaranteed action.
    xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By xMP44x

I haven't any choice apart from the Xbox 360 version so my purchase has been secured to it. I'm not too bothered by that fact though, because it'll likely be a brilliant game regardless of how heavily 'downgraded' it has been.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24  Edited By Crono

I can tell the difference between consoles and PC. Just look at the pixels!

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25  Edited By StingingVelvet

Not trying to be Mr. PC Elitist McJackass here, but that looks a lot worse than the PC footage.  Worse than I expected it to look, frankly.  I'm kind of shocked.

I'm sure it looks "good enough" though, which is the console standard I suppose.  In the end the real thing you guys should be upgrading a PC for is the 64 player battles and massive maps.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My PC meets the recommended specs so it prolly won't look as good as the pc demos but it should run alright. If it looks as good as Bad Company 2 then I will be happy.

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By StingingVelvet
    @zudthespud said:

My PC meets the recommended specs so it prolly won't look as good as the pc demos but it should run alright. If it looks as good as Bad Company 2 then I will be happy.

The PC demos are probably max settings with super-sampling, no one is likely to run the game like that on release day online for performance reasons.  Singleplayer maybe, if you have the newest gear.  I really need a new processor (running an Intel Q9550 right now) before the game comes out.  My processor kept me in the 40fps range in Bad Company 2.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#28  Edited By Vinny_Says

uhh....show me console multiplayer before I make a purchasing decision. There is no way I'll be getting a PC for this so console it is, but if the multiplayer is the same as Bad Company I'll just skip it until I've had my fill of BC2 and want new maps.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DystopiaX

@blacklabeldomm said:

uhh....show me console multiplayer before I make a purchasing decision. There is no way I'll be getting a PC for this so console it is, but if the multiplayer is the same as Bad Company I'll just skip it until I've had my fill of BC2 and want new maps.

PCs got more players and bigger maps to accomodate. So I guess if you want it more like BF2 and less like BC games, you'd go for PC.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30  Edited By Jayross

Again, it looks fine, it's just that we have been spoiled after watching all of that PC footage.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MeierTheRed

Looks pretty good on PS3 i must say. Still getting the PC version though. But nice to see the visuals are well done, game seemed to move pretty well too.

NDart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NDart

@StingingVelvet said:

Not trying to be Mr. PC Elitist McJackass here, but that looks a lot worse than the PC footage. Worse than I expected it to look, frankly. I'm kind of shocked. I'm sure it looks "good enough" though, which is the console standard I suppose. In the end the real thing you guys should be upgrading a PC for is the 64 player battles and massive maps.

This a million times. Forget all the people who talk shit about graphics, the real reasons why the PC version of BF3 is the best are maps, mods and player caps.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DonPixel

@Three0neFive said:

@VisariLoyalist said:
    yeah I don't have the 1000$ to buy a gaming pc that would run that game to its full potential anyway
    umad

He lassy should get job

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By emem

@Balex1908 said:

Looks fine for me. I would never upgrade or build a new pc just for one game, no matter how good it looked.

That's the way it works and that's the way it has always been. ;)

It looks really very nice, I'm glad it runs smooth and looks that good on the PS3. I would have liked to see a little more action, but I guess they turned off the enemy AI, so Jimmy Fallon would be able to kill the 2 enemies. :P

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By defaulttag

@emem said:

@Balex1908 said:

That's the way it works and that's the way it has always been. ;)

It looks really very nice, I'm glad it runs smooth and looks that good on the PS3. I would have liked to see a little more action, but I guess they turned off the enemy AI, so Jimmy Fallon would be able to kill the 2 enemies. :P

Me neither. I'd do it for hundreds of games.

chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#36  Edited By chronicsmoke

Ill be playin this on the PC but it looks pretty damn good no slouch by any means

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By alternate

Battlefield being such a poster boy for PC gfx seems odd.  You know the hardcore competitive muliplayer contingent are going to turn off anything pretty to max out FPS. 

Ironic that my 14 year old self would be creaming himself over the visuals but would not have been able to afford the rig to run this and yet now the adult me could easily afford to blow £300 on a gfx card upgrade but I really can't be arsed ;-)

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38  Edited By Seppli

Proper embed codes. They matter. Here's why...  

Did you see the difference?
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Seppli

Looking pretty damn good on PS3. Dope.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By emem

@defaulttag: I don't know, I think there are always a lot of games that benefit from a new PC, but there is also pretty much always that one game that "needs" new hardware to be perferctly playable. So in most cases the last straw is one game, imho.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By defaulttag

@emem: It used to be like that. I remember it was like that for Quake, the original Half-Life, then Doom III, then Crysis. I don't think it will be like that this time around. This generation of games has been quite successful, and thus extended longer than it's typical 4 or 5 years. Battlefield 3 is still in THIS generation of console. If you have a PC that plays today's games at high settings in 1080p or higher, you can probably run Battlefield 3 with graphics still better than its console version. I don't think upgrades will be necessary until DirectX 11 or 12 becomes widely used for multiple AAA PC games. Even now, most games are still using DirectX9 including the gorgeous game Witcher 2, and Starcraft 2. DirectX10 was short-lived. DirectX11 is barely being used by a handful of games. Even then, running those same games with DirectX9 or X10 hardware still looks great. I don't think it's just a single game. It will be a wave of new games (which may be concurrent with a new wave of consoles) that will warrant a PC upgrade. So all in all, I'd say we are all safe for now with our current PC's (and consoles) for playing upcoming games. New tech is still probably a couple of years away. I know I won't be upgrading soon. My 2-year old PC is still gaming strong with games at high settings. My PS3 still gets lots of use as well, especially with console exclusives. I don't think either of those circumstances will be changing anytime soon.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#42  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Looks competent.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Meowshi
    @DonPixel said:

@Three0neFive said:

@VisariLoyalist said:

umad

He lassy should get job

or maybe he has other priorities besides staring at a computer screen  

fucking kids man
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Seppli
    @defaulttag said:

@emem: It used to be like that. I remember it was like that for Quake, the original Half-Life, then Doom III, then Crysis. I don't think it will be like that this time around. This generation of games has been quite successful, and thus extended longer than it's typical 4 or 5 years. Battlefield 3 is still in THIS generation of console. If you have a PC that plays today's games at high settings in 1080p or higher, you can probably run Battlefield 3 with graphics still better than its console version. I don't think upgrades will be necessary until DirectX 11 or 12 becomes widely used for multiple AAA PC games. Even now, most games are still using DirectX9 including the gorgeous game Witcher 2, and Starcraft 2. DirectX10 was short-lived. DirectX11 is barely being used by a handful of games. Even then, running those same games with DirectX9 or X10 hardware still looks great. I don't think it's just a single game. It will be a wave of new games (which may be concurrent with a new wave of consoles) that will warrant a PC upgrade. So all in all, I'd say we are all safe for now with our current PC's (and consoles) for playing upcoming games. New tech is still probably a couple of years away. I know I won't be upgrading soon. My 2-year old PC is still gaming strong with games at high settings. My PS3 still gets lots of use as well, especially with console exclusives. I don't think either of those circumstances will be changing anytime soon.

Actually BF3 marks the point where PC developers give up on DX9 and move forward to DX11. BF3 is 100% next gen on PC and is scaling back to current generation consoles.

You cannot play BF3 on Windows XP. You cannot play BF3 with a DX9 card. To meet recommended speccs you will need a good DX11 card and a 64bit OS with a Quadcore CPU.

I suspect BF3's recommended speccs more or less accurately represent the horsepower of the 'next console generation' coming in 2013-14. At its core, BF3 is next gen.
    Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Grillbar

yeah ill proberly buy it for the ps3 even though i just spend 2700 bucks on a pc that is basicly just for civ 5 and diablo 3 if it ever comes out.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#46  Edited By Vexxan

I still think it looks very good. I'm no graphic whore but I can't say it looks disappointing at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
    deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm getting it on the PS3 and i'm perfectly happy with that

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By emem

@defaulttag: Of course it's not as extreme as it was with Quake and Crysis, how could it be with 5-6 year old consoles in mind for all the new triple A titles.. John Carmack explained it pretty well in an interview, if a company would invest in a big PC only game, with cutting edge graphics and everything that would be possible today, they would go out of business (you know why). Having said that, until there is a new console generation you will not necessarily "need" to buy new hardware, but if you want to play BF3 smoothly and on high settings with tesselation you "will" need it (at least a new graphics card). I know a few people who bought a new PC only to be able to play The Witcher 2 on the highest settings (and that's only DX9) and even more who will buy a new one for BF3 alone.

I mean, if you don't decide to get new hardware for a specific game.. when exactly comes the point to upgrade, how many games do you have to have on your "list"? I'm just saying that there is always one game that pushes you over the edge when the time comes. <- That only counts for PC gamers with fairly new hardware, people who do have 5-6 year old hardware on the other hand will probably get a new PC to be able to play 20-30 games that came out in the last years.

I personally wait untill there is one game that I want to experience in its full glory, before I get new hardware. It's just like you said, right now everyone with a 2 year old PC can play everything on at least medium settings, but not on high with tesselation on (because it wasn't supported with 2-3 year old graphics cards.. I know DX11 cards came out about 2 years ago) .

It's an interesting discussion. Either way, we can agree to disagree. :)

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SBYM

I can't play on Xbox Live, and I don't have a PC that can run it. Those of you who have any option of playing it should be fine with whichever you choose. It also looks really good on either platform.

FacestabMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By FacestabMan

AMD Athlon II x2 @ 3.6ghz, 4 gigs of RAM, an ATI 4770HD...

Looks like this game won't run on this thing. I'm sad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.