Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Battlefield 3 using Punkbuster?

Blacksilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Blacksilver

Does anyone know if Battlefield 3 will use Punkbuster? If so could someone please tell me why Punkbuster does not work on my PC.

And please no answers telling me to reinstall Punkbuster or update my drivers because I have already done both of those things.

I really want Punkbuster to work but I don't know how to fix it. If anyone can help me that would be great!

Thank you in advance,

-Blacksilver-

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By SmasheControllers

Yes I believe BF3 is using Punkbuster.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Fuck, I hate PunkBuster.  I would almost rather have no anti-cheat system.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By shiftymagician

I'm going to wait for actual confirmation of Punkbuster before I even begin to think about how to solve Punkbuster issues.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By scarace360

Why would you use punkbuster.

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TotalEklypse

Gah fucking punk buster. I've never even seen it bust punks. It always busts random guys with not so updated punk busters.

SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SmasheControllers

Fuck hate EA for making DICE do all this stupid shit, Requiring Origin/No Steamworks and No Server Browser.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By JCTango

I hate punkbuster - sometimes it causes more trouble than its worth...

fragstoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By fragstoff

Punkbuster isn't alright I guess...

RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SmashedControllers said:

Fuck hate EA for making DICE do all this stupid shit, Requiring Origin/No Steamworks and No Server Browser.

There is a server browser, it's just on the Battlelog.  I would prefer an in-game server browser, but the time difference is barely noticeable when switching games.
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xobballox said:

There is a server browser, it's just on the Battlelog. I would prefer an in-game server browser, but the time difference is barely noticeable when switching games.

Yeah I played the Alpha, I didn't hate it but fuck that.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @ShiftyMagician said:
    I'm going to wait for actual confirmation of Punkbuster before I even begin to think about how to solve Punkbuster issues.
    Battlelog server browser said "PB" on one of its sort buttons.. BF3 has punk buster 

@xobballox said:

There is a server browser, it's just on the Battlelog. I would prefer an in-game server browser, but the time difference is barely noticeable when switching games.

The thing that made me almost stop playing BF2 years ago and BC2 last year, was the Battlefield server browsers! Those browsers sucked so much, replacing them with anything is a good thing. Battlelog is excellent so hey!
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ahmad_Metallic: I never thought the Server Browser was bad. They should have made Battlelog In-Game.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By willin

Oh I'm sorry, it appears I've fallen into 2002 again...

Blacksilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Blacksilver

@ShiftyMagician said:

@JCTango said:

I hate punkbuster - sometimes it causes more trouble than its worth...

So I am not the only one that is having trouble with Punkbuster here? I hate it so much! BF:BC2 was using the anti-hack program as TF2 for a while and it was great but then at some point they changed over to Punkbuster and I was no longer able to level up because I could not use Punkbuster. I ultimately stopped playing because of that ... I really liked BF:BC2 MP too ... sad and angry at the same time.

Someone please help. How do I make Punkbuster work on my PC?

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By blackbird415

@Blacksilver: are yoiu using steam with punkbuster? what is the error?

RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Blacksilver: This is going to sound dumb - but plug a mic into your mic port on your computer.  I couldn't get punk buster to work for me on Call of Duty 4 forever, and then found that as a suggestion, and to my surprise it worked...

Also, have you tried disabling the in-game Steam overlay if you play through Steam?
    Blacksilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Blacksilver

I am not playing through STEAM.

I try to connect to a PunkBuster server and then it kicks me out to the Server Browser Screen of BF:BC2 and in a "Notice" window it reads:

You have been kicked from the game. The reason is:

PunkBuster Kicked player "B1acksi1ver" (for 0 minutes) ...

RESTRICTION: Service Communication Failure PnkBstrA.exe

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MrKlorox

@Blacksilver: Might check to make sure PnkBstrA or B is showing up in your running services in windows. I remember having issues with PB a while back on another computer, and it ended up having to do with the services being prevented from running. Keep googling, man.

@Ahmad_Metallic: I never thought the Server Browser was bad. They should have made Battlelog In-Game.

There kinda is one if you just use a game overlay with a web browser (such as Steam's or Origin's). Even better this way because you don't have to quit the server you're on to look for a new server.

RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Blacksilver: Shit... My brother had the same message, but I can't remember how I fixed it for him.  

http://www.punksbusted.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42654

http://application-error.net/pnkbstra-exe-communication-failure/

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=81409

These three threads lead me to fixing his, hope they help you too.  (And yeah, he was having the problem with BF:BC2)
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I had to get the pbsvc.exe thing or whatever, uninstall punkbuster that way, reinstall it, then update it with PBSetup or something.  Good luck.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Wait, people still use aimbots, wallhacks, and speed hacks and that shit? Really?

I'm pretty much indifferent about PB, as it hasn't interrupted the operation of my games since, like, 2004.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MrKlorox

@AnimZero: Yep, shooters are still a thing.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

@MrKlorox: I haven't actually witnessed someone hack an online game for years, so either anti-cheat tools are working, or I'm staying well away from the wrong audience or games.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Branthog

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@ShiftyMagician said:
    Battlelog server browser said "PB" on one of its sort buttons.. BF3 has punk buster

@xobballox said:

The thing that made me almost stop playing BF2 years ago and BC2 last year, was the Battlefield server browsers! Those browsers sucked so much, replacing them with anything is a good thing. Battlelog is excellent so hey!

They force you to run Origin. Origin has an in-game browser. There's no reason the server browser couldn't be made to show up through the in-game web browser from the Origin client. Having to not only run the game, but run the Origin client *and* a web browser at the same time is a pointless waste of resources. Especially if you're a fairly heavy browser user where it's consuming a gig or two of RAM. It creates too many layers and dependencies. Too many possible points of failure where something other than the game itself not working can cause you not to e able to play the game (as experienced by many people playing the Alpha, though I guess I can't go into detail on that).

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By iDarktread

Punkbuster is so annoying. It made Call of Duty 4 unplayable, to a certain extent, for me.

Blacksilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Blacksilver

I fixed it YEAH!!! If anyone wants to know, my PunkBuster was not auto updating itself so I went to this site (http://www.evenbalance.com) and there are step by step instructions to fix PunkBuster if you are having issues.

I am HAPPY!!! NOW I CAN PLAY BF3 WHEN IT COMES OUT! (Ear to ear smile)

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn Punkbuster. I swear if it wasn't for EA they wouldn't be able to keep the lights on over there.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Simplexity

Punkbuster is the most annoying thing, I don't think it actually stops cheaters, it just fucks over people that don't feel like updating their stupid fucking client that does fuck all.

Fuck Punkbuster.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Vodun

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

The thing that made me almost stop playing BF2 years ago and BC2 last year, was the Battlefield server browsers! Those browsers sucked so much, replacing them with anything is a good thing. Battlelog is excellent so hey!

ASE 4 LYFE!

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @SmasheControllers said:

Why is that? 

@Branthog said: 

@Ahmad_Metallic They force you to run Origin. Origin has an in-game browser. 

Origin has a what now? 

Having to not only run the game, but run the Origin client *and* a web browser at the same time is a pointless waste of resources. Especially if you're a fairly heavy browser user where it's consuming a gig or two of RAM. It creates too many layers and dependencies. Too many possible points of failure where something other than the game itself not working can cause you not to e able to play the game 

Well, I do agree, especially that DICE take months to fix their games, let alone those two new outside services, but.. I dunno I'm feeling good about this.  

About the resources, A- you shouldn't have anything running as you run the game, like a downloading program or 10 browsers tabs, so that's no excuse, and B- If you're running BF3, then you have a powerful machine. I'm sure it can handle 1 extra program (Origin) and a single browser tab (Battlelog.com)
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By Bollard
    @SmasheControllers said:

There is a server browser you tard. It's called Battlelog. 

/my patience. 
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Ahmad_Metallic: Origin has an in app browser that's what he meant and it does, it's how the content is pushed to you. Origin, like Steam, uses a Webkit-based browser. There's no need for the game to push you out to a third party browser. Doing so is unsafe, resource wasteful and prone to error. I personally don't see why they can't use the same in game browser mechanic which Need For Speed : Hot Pursuit uses. The Server Browser and Battlelog could easily be in game and it fucking well should be in game. Loading and unloading the game to browse a webpage via a third party browser seems like the longest and unsafest route to take. It smacks of selling a beta product too because the experience hasn't been smoothed out. Basically, it's bullshit.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @SeriouslyNow said:

@Ahmad_Metallic: Origin has an in app browser that's what he meant and it does, it's how the content is pushed to you. 

It does? Didn't see it during the alpha trial 

Origin, like Steam, uses a Webkit-based browser. There's no need for the game to push you out to a third party browser. Doing so is unsafe, resource wasteful and prone to error.

I agree, and that is going to be fixed in two ways: either they actually manage to secure their shit after several months and have a solid Battlelog running (according to Demize it's extremely protected and backed up), or they ditch that shit if it fails. I waited for like 5 months before BC2 was playable for me, i'll wait on BF3. 

I personally don't see why they can't use the same in game browser mechanic which Need For Speed : Hot Pursuit uses. The Server Browser and Battlelog could easily be in game and it fucking well should be in game. Loading and unloading the game to browse a webpage via a third party browser seems like the longest and unsafest route to take. 

Their games have been riddled with bad slow unresponsive laggy browsers forever.. If there's anything I'd like fix in Battlefield, it's not gameplay, it's their fucking menus and browsers. I for one totally welcome Battlelog. It's a website under continuous refreshing and updating, it's extremely fast and responsive, and it launches the game 3 times as fast as past Battlefield browsers did. 
    You won't be loading and unloading the game to browse Battlelog the way you think. The game is designed to not have splash screens or any transitional phases that will take time or resources, It is designed to hop into a server right after you select one, and designed to close almost instantly and to launch even faster than that. 
    The moment you understand that this program called Battlefield 3 is not a typical video game and doesn't require the same processing, you'll see how awesome and fast and efficient the Battlelog & BF3 combination is. It's designed to be closed and opened on the fly, and designed for a flawlessly quick Alt-Tab to Battlelog
    zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By zaglis

You have been kicked by punkbuster.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Ahmad_Metallic: You're ignoring the issue of relying on a third party browser to launch the game in any effective way. It's unsafe and a fucking stupid approach. I understand you dig Battlelog but that is just a service which could be delivered from within the game too and that's how it should be delivered, not ONLY via a third party browser. If people want to browse their Battlelog content outside of the game, fine, access it with their browser but running a full price game from the browser is not OK. Games which launch from your browser are free to play and of the Facebook variety. BF3 is neither, it's a full priced game with a strong community.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By zaglis
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    Their games have been riddled with bad slow unresponsive laggy browsers forever.. If there's anything I'd like fix in Battlefield, it's not gameplay, it's their fucking menus and browsers. I for one totally welcome Battlelog. It's a website under continuous refreshing and updating, it's extremely fast and responsive, and it launches the game 3 times as fast as past Battlefield browsers did. You won't be loading and unloading the game to browse Battlelog the way you think. The game is designed to not have splash screens or any transitional phases that will take time or resources, It is designed to hop into a server right after you select one, and designed to close almost instantly and to launch even faster than that. The moment you understand that this program called Battlefield 3 is not a typical video game and doesn't require the same processing, you'll see how awesome and fast and efficient the Battlelog & BF3 combination is. It's designed to be closed and opened on the fly, and designed for a flawlessly quick Alt-Tab to Battlelog
    In what fantasy world are you living in?
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @SeriouslyNow said:

@Ahmad_Metallic: You're ignoring the issue of relying on a third party browser to launch the game in any effective way. It's unsafe and a fucking stupid approach.

Launching the game through Battlelog is more effective than launching the game itself and having to use an ingame browser to connect to a server. That is what i'm saying! I'm not ignoring the issue, i'm saying it's not an issue, it''s actually an improvement. 
    Unsafe, sure, I agree, and like i said, either they secure their shit and back it up, or patch the game and lose Battlelog altogether  

I understand you dig Battlelog but that is just a service which could be delivered from within the game too and that's how it should be delivered, not ONLY via a third party browser.

Why would they create an ingame browser when they have created a functioning web-based one? Other than security and the quality of service which, like i said, if they fail to deliver, they _should_ in fact ditch?  
    What I mean is, let's suppose that Battlelog is safe and solid and functioning, why would DICE go through the trouble of programming the game in a traditional way that includes an ingame browser? Battlelog already rendered the game nontraditional  

If people want to browse their Battlelog content outside of the game, fine, access it with their browser but running a full price game from the browser is not OK. Games which launch from your browser are free to play and of the Facebook variety. BF3 is neither, it's a full priced game with a strong community.

I don't understand, why is that not OK? How does the game being full priced make it necessitate an ingame browser and menu? What is it that you find lost in the process of substituting that stuff with Battlelog? 

@zaglis said:
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    Their games have been riddled with bad slow unresponsive laggy browsers forever.. If there's anything I'd like fix in Battlefield, it's not gameplay, it's their fucking menus and browsers. I for one totally welcome Battlelog. It's a website under continuous refreshing and updating, it's extremely fast and responsive, and it launches the game 3 times as fast as past Battlefield browsers did. You won't be loading and unloading the game to browse Battlelog the way you think. The game is designed to not have splash screens or any transitional phases that will take time or resources, It is designed to hop into a server right after you select one, and designed to close almost instantly and to launch even faster than that. The moment you understand that this program called Battlefield 3 is not a typical video game and doesn't require the same processing, you'll see how awesome and fast and efficient the Battlelog & BF3 combination is. It's designed to be closed and opened on the fly, and designed for a flawlessly quick Alt-Tab to Battlelog
    In what fantasy world are you living in?
    In the fantasy world where what i'm saying has been stated and confirmed by the developer + has been experienced by millions first-hand during the alpha trial? Ya.
    zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By zaglis
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    @SeriouslyNow said:

@Ahmad_Metallic: You're ignoring the issue of relying on a third party browser to launch the game in any effective way. It's unsafe and a fucking stupid approach.

Launching the game through Battlelog is more effective than launching the game itself and having to use an ingame browser to connect to a server. That is what i'm saying! I'm not ignoring the issue, i'm saying it's not an issue, it''s actually an improvement. 
    Unsafe, sure, I agree, and like i said, either they secure their shit and back it up, or patch the game and lose Battlelog altogether  

WAKE THE FUCK UP. Who are you trying to fool here?

Couldn't the ''slow server browser'' problem be solved by, you know, making a good server browser?

Believe it or not, it has been done many, many years ago..games like Counter Strike or TF2 have them server browser, for example. You can join a server from outside the game and in game. Problem, DICE?

Perhaps DICE could license the server browser technology from Valve? Their server browsers are excellent. Reliable, fast and easy to use!
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Ahmad_Metallic: Internet browsers are notoriously easy to break through misadventure (bad chosen settings or plugins or to be broken by malware, so relying on a such a thing to launch the game is beyond retarded, it's actually almost criminally negligent. I am not paying full price for a browser plugin. No fucking way. I wonder, Ahmad, what happened to you. A month ago you were screaming about potentially broken in-game features and yet now you're arguing that this forcing of the use of an external third party, customer managed, easily broken browser to launch the game makes sense. You're beginning to sound like you've been bought and turned into a shill.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @zaglis said:
    WAKE THE FUCK UP. Who are you trying to fool here? 
    Haha, can you be fucking specific? What part are you addressing? 

Believe it or not, it has been done many, many years ago..games like Counter Strike or TF2 have them server browser, for example. You can join a server from outside the game and in game. Problem, DICE?
    Yes, they're physically unable to integrate a functioning server browser into their games. So yes, problem, DICE.
    amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By amir90

I hate punkbuster, I basically had to buy a cheap soundcard so I could play bc2, as punkbuster doesn't like my onboard audio drivers.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By mikemcn

Fucking Punkbuster, its never worked for me, ever! EVER! Not once, across at least a dozen games.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Ahmad_Metallic: Internet browsers are notoriously easy to break through misadventure (bad chosen settings or plugins or to be broken by malware), so relying on a such a thing to launch the game is beyond retarded, it's actually almost criminally negligent. I am not paying full price for a browser plugin. No fucking way.

Could you explain that please?

I wonder, Ahmad, what happened to you. A month ago you were screaming about potentially broken in-game features and yet now you're arguing that this forcing of the use of an external third party, customer managed, easily broken browser to launch the game makes sense. You're beginning to sound like you've been bought and turned into a shill.

I sold out man, they BOUGHT ME. Haha, no, just kidding.

Nothing happened, I'm still concerned about all-squad spawn, and faction weapons, and not enough flags, and integrated teamwork and a Squad Leader command screen, and i'll do a lot of criticizing and complaining during the beta to make sure we're heard.

It's just that I think that if DICE manage to pull this Battlelog system off, the franchise is gonna be better off and for good. In-game server browsers in Battlefield games have always sucked, they never worked well and we've always needed a substitute. Battlelog is extremely fast and responsive, and it gets me into a server in BF3 faster than the BF2 server browser does, and my machine is four years old.

I for one fully support Battlelog, unless shit goes bad with it, then the consensus will be to dispose of it.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#45  Edited By ajamafalous

It's like EA is trying their fucking damndest to make me not want to play this game.

And it's working beautifully.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By mosdl

I haven't had any PB issues in quite a while with BFBC2...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.