Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Battlefield 3 Vehicles: IFV Edition

gpbmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Edited By gpbmike

Vehicles are one of the differentiators in the Battlefield franchise and one of the many reasons I love to play. Here is part two of a series of blogs in which I share some tips on how to use them. I’ve broken the classes up into offense and defense. Offense focuses on gameplay using the vehicle, defense focuses on gameplay against the vehicle.

Many of the points made in my previous entry about main battle tanks (MBTs) are still valid here.

Infantry Fighting Vehicle (IFV)

Quick and maneuverable the IFV is the ideal unit to bring your squad to the front lines. It holds six soldiers which is enough for a driver, a gunner, and an additional squad of four!

Let's fight some infantry! ... That's what it means right?

Communicate

• This cannot be stressed enough and will be a reoccurring section for every vehicle. Call out enemy positions, call out mines, call out friendlies getting gunned down, call out that C4-loaded jeep coming straight at you. This is an ideal unit for two squads to work together.

Offense

Driver

• The need for speed. Use the boost to flank the enemy or quickly deploy infantry into combat. This is the fastest way to move infantry around the field short of a helo drop.
    • Use thermal vision to easily spot and avoid AT mines while in transit.
    • Use the ATGM Launcher or Guided MIssile to surprise enemy armor by firing it first from distance. Follow it up with your main canon to disable and destroy.
    • Like the MBT, you can shoot walls and the ground in buildings flush out enemy infantry. Look for the X that indicates you’ve done damage.
    • Oscar mike. Try not to sit in one place very long. Your armor isn’t particularly strong and you’re big enough that someone is bound to know you’re there. They’re coming for you.
    • Don’t rush to the front of a firefight. You have a high profile which makes you a pretty easy target for AT infantry. Support from a safe distance or try to flank the enemy.
    • Be careful not to drive up on top of stationary vehicles. I’ve gotten stuck a few times.
    • Ribbit. IFVs are amphibious, don't be afraid to get wet.
    • Run away! Speed is one of your greatest assets. Try hit and run tactics to surprise the enemy.

Gunner

• Again, this position should be the lookout. Spot everything. Make sure someone isn’t flanking you. The C4 jeep or attack helicopter that blows up your fully loaded IFV will ruin your day.
    • Even though there are four more seats, most of the time it will just be you and the driver. That means it’s up to you to repair. Try to wait for a safe time to hop out but in a pinch repair from behind the vehicle.

Passenger

• You have a weak gun and a limited view. If you don’t spot everything out of that window, you’ve failed.
    • Get out. If you’re playing conquest mode and the driver stops near a flag to capture it, get out of the IFV and spread out. Hop back in as you finish capturing for a quick getaway.

Defense

Driver

• Generally speaking IFV drivers are in a hurry. If you’re between destinations and see one coming, spot it, lay low, and wait for it to pass. If you have an RPG, hit it from behind to disable. If you only have small arms, let it go.
    • Impatient IFV drivers won’t see mine covered roads. Use that to your advantage.

Disclaimer

Do as I say, not as I do. I’m sure many of you have seen me playing in the Giant Bomb/Tested server. I’m not a particularly serious player. You’ll often see me doing many of the things I advise against. Shouting “LET’S DO THIS!” and rushing a HMMWV through the tunnel on Damavand Peak is not a good strategy... generally speaking.

gpbmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By gpbmike

Vehicles are one of the differentiators in the Battlefield franchise and one of the many reasons I love to play. Here is part two of a series of blogs in which I share some tips on how to use them. I’ve broken the classes up into offense and defense. Offense focuses on gameplay using the vehicle, defense focuses on gameplay against the vehicle.

Many of the points made in my previous entry about main battle tanks (MBTs) are still valid here.

Infantry Fighting Vehicle (IFV)

Quick and maneuverable the IFV is the ideal unit to bring your squad to the front lines. It holds six soldiers which is enough for a driver, a gunner, and an additional squad of four!

Communicate

• This cannot be stressed enough and will be a reoccurring section for every vehicle. Call out enemy positions, call out mines, call out friendlies getting gunned down, call out that C4-loaded jeep coming straight at you. This is an ideal unit for two squads to work together.

Offense

Driver

• The need for speed. Use the boost to flank the enemy or quickly deploy infantry into combat. This is the fastest way to move infantry around the field short of a helo drop.
    • Use thermal vision to easily spot and avoid AT mines while in transit.
    • Use the ATGM Launcher or Guided MIssile to surprise enemy armor by firing it first from distance. Follow it up with your main canon to disable and destroy.
    • Like the MBT, you can shoot walls and the ground in buildings flush out enemy infantry. Look for the X that indicates you’ve done damage.
    • Oscar mike. Try not to sit in one place very long. Your armor isn’t particularly strong and you’re big enough that someone is bound to know you’re there. They’re coming for you.
    • Don’t rush to the front of a firefight. You have a high profile which makes you a pretty easy target for AT infantry. Support from a safe distance or try to flank the enemy.
    • Be careful not to drive up on top of stationary vehicles. I’ve gotten stuck a few times.
    • Ribbit. IFVs are amphibious, don't be afraid to get wet.
    • Run away! Speed is one of your greatest assets. Try hit and run tactics to surprise the enemy.

Gunner

• Again, this position should be the lookout. Spot everything. Make sure someone isn’t flanking you. The C4 jeep or attack helicopter that blows up your fully loaded IFV will ruin your day.
    • Even though there are four more seats, most of the time it will just be you and the driver. That means it’s up to you to repair. Try to wait for a safe time to hop out but in a pinch repair from behind the vehicle.

Passenger

• You have a weak gun and a limited view. If you don’t spot everything out of that window, you’ve failed.
    • Get out. If you’re playing conquest mode and the driver stops near a flag to capture it, get out of the IFV and spread out. Hop back in as you finish capturing for a quick getaway.

Defense

Driver

• Generally speaking IFV drivers are in a hurry. If you’re between destinations and see one coming, spot it, lay low, and wait for it to pass. If you have an RPG, hit it from behind to disable. If you only have small arms, let it go.
    • Impatient IFV drivers won’t see mine covered roads. Use that to your advantage.

Disclaimer

Do as I say, not as I do. I’m sure many of you have seen me playing in the Giant Bomb/Tested server. I’m not a particularly serious player. You’ll often see me doing many of the things I advise against. Shouting “LET’S DO THIS!” and rushing a HMMWV through the tunnel on Damavand Peak is not a good strategy... generally speaking.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By AlexW00d

Another well written guide. Good job dude.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @gpbmike said: 
    • Oscar mike
    Ba-dum tish. 

Good bulletpoints!
    Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Liber

How was this written a month ago and had 0 comments ?

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By swoxx

Must've missed this one.

Great stuff either way!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.