Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Demize99 (Alan Kertz) Explains Revamped 3D Spotting

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

So, a soldier in direct Line of Sight that is spotted will have a 3d red marker. If he moves behind cover or concealment, including vegetation, the 3d red marker will disappear. He will always be on the minimap. Vehicles are always fully 3D spotted, and LOS does not apply since they are larger more important targets with less threats (and it plain did not work to have jets flying around who couldn't see the tank you spotted for him to take out).

This lets you essentially "nudge" your buddy to tell him about a target, or point out a sniper on a hill you see but cannot engage (with your shotgun for example). But it prevents players from using 3D spotting as a wall hack.

Additionally, the primary motivator for the change is that 3D spots that you cannot see are not threats. We noticed that players would focus on 3D spots over everything else, meaning they would ignore people in line of sight. It's far less confusing when the 3D spot on a soldier can only be seen if you can see the soldier.

So everybody will only ever see 3D spots with direct line of sight. Nobody without direct line of sight only gets 2D spotting on minimap. Only active threats (with direct line of sight) will be displayed with a 3D spot. This does not apply to vehicles. They'll be lit-up as per usual independent of LOS.

It's a great improvement. Love it.

Oh - now's a good time to remind everybody of the BF3-dev newsfeed generated from forumposts and twitter.
    withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By withateethuh

I never had an issue with it before, but I definitely like it this way a lot better.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Donos

Sounds fine to me, though I wonder what counts as LOS when a person is semi-visible in a bush.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By FrankCanada97

IIRC, it sounds similar to the system used in BF1943.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By ajamafalous

Fantastic.

Still means you'll just shoot across the map at triangles to get headshots, though.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Enigma777

Aww, I like my wall hacks!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Seppli
    @Donos said:

Sounds fine to me, though I wonder what counts as LOS when a person is semi-visible in a bush.

If it works as intended, the 3D spot breaks if a spotted enemy gets into/behind vegetation. Don't know about the actual act of spotting though. Might be impossible to spot somebody in vegetation or it might just light them up on the 2D minimap.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic

You can't create a thread for every new piece of news about a feature. It's called spam, and not everyone on the forums is interested enough to discuss each feature in a thread 
     Create one thread where you list BF3 news, stop spamming new threads and double-posting on them 

Too many BF3 threads on the 'latest topics' page, lets not make people hate the game.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Donos

It isn't bothering me. I'd rather load up the BF3 forum and immediately see the stuff I care about, then have to click again into a thread and search through people's overlapping discussions, for which topics would eventually be created anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.