Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Does lower you resolution make the game ... better?

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PandaBear

So I'm not technically minded when it comes to frame counting and input lag, but is there any truth in turning down you resolution to make Battlefield 3 run better and help you online?

I'm playing on Xbox 360 at 1080p ... but if I switch to 720p will my game run smoother, less input lag and in turn improve my performance? The Xbox 360 isn't the beast it was years ago, so it stands to reason you'd need to lower the resolution to make the game run better right? Is this what the higher level players do? I've heard of stuff like this, but I don't fully understand it.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By huntad

Apparently the 360 only upscales to 1080p. It's usually always best to run at native resolution, so if you're tv supports 1080p I don't see the problem. If it supports up to 720p, then you should probably run it at 720p although it wouldn't make much difference as far as what I've experienced.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Brendan

With my limited technical knowledge, I can say that I'm pretty sure that upscaling does not affect performance, which is what the Xbox does. PC's that support higher resolutions will actually run in those resolutions, which takes more graphical power.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By clstirens

@Brendan said:

With my limited technical knowledge, I can say that I'm pretty sure that upscaling does not affect performance, which is what the Xbox does. PC's that support higher resolutions will actually run in those resolutions, which takes more graphical power.

For posterity, This^

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
    BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BigChickenDinner

@PandaBear said:

The Xbox 360 isn't the beast it was years ago,

Implying the 360 was ever a "beast"... lol right.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By big_jon

@BigChickenDinner: It was pretty powerful, so eff you.

cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By cyraxible

@big_jon: Sorry but no. Technical power != the advantage of having a singular set of hardware to develop for.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By vitor

@PandaBear said:

So I'm not technically minded when it comes to frame counting and input lag, but is there any truth in turning down you resolution to make Battlefield 3 run better and help you online?

I'm playing on Xbox 360 at 1080p ... but if I switch to 720p will my game run smoother, less input lag and in turn improve my performance? The Xbox 360 isn't the beast it was years ago, so it stands to reason you'd need to lower the resolution to make the game run better right? Is this what the higher level players do? I've heard of stuff like this, but I don't fully understand it.

No, that's only for PCs. Changing stuff like that does nothing for console games as they're usually running at 720 regardless, and upscaling to 1080p does not actually make it 1080 or impact performance. It just fits the screen better but visual fidelity isn't improved.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By SSully

@big_jon: Even when the 360 was brand new it was using dated hardware, as was the ps3 in terms of its GPU. It's just how consoles are.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By GS_Dan

The 360 doesn't render it at 1080p, so it doesn't really affect it. On PC it would.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By benspyda

@SSully: I felt as soon as Nvidia released the 8800GT the xbox became outdated. I think xbox benefits from its xbox live service over the hardware, although now steam has caught up for pc it is feeling a bit like a relic. Still the games do still look good on it. I played 200 hours of Skyrim on it and its still a pretty game on such old hardware.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By big_jon

@SSully: I hope the nextbox can do 1080p native and get 60 fps out of most games, I would be a happy camper.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By SSully

@benspyda said:

@SSully: I felt as soon as Nvidia released the 8800GT the xbox became outdated. I think xbox benefits from its xbox live service over the hardware, although now steam has caught up for pc it is feeling a bit like a relic. Still the games do still look good on it. I played 200 hours of Skyrim on it and its still a pretty game on such old hardware.

Oh I think both the ps3 and 360 are fantastic consoles. The games are great, and they still look good enough, but calling either machine a beast is a joke when compared to modern PC's.

@big_jon: Agreed. Those are two things lacking in most games on consoles that I really miss.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.