Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

EA Origin double charge scam.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Branthog

Has anyone else here found EA double-dipping their account? I bought BF3 on August 7th for $61.73 and that is when they charged my credit card. Then, on October 25th, they charged me $61.73 again. Worth checking your records for.

(Yes, a mistake, oversite, accident, screw-up, fuck-up, cock-up but not really a scam. I was, no doubt, hyperbolic in my affixing the label "scam" to this in my frustration.)

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Why am I not surprised?

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#3  Edited By Soap

I'd say it was probably an error, rather than a scam, but yeah still worth checking your accounts!

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By shiftymagician

Sounds like an error to me. Takes more than a handful of cases before someone should throw the word 'scam' so easily. I hope that EA solves your issues in a quick and painless manner.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Branthog
    @Soap said:

I'd say it was probably an error, rather than a scam, but yeah still worth checking your accounts!

Yeah, but this is Origin; not Steam. Therefore, it's scammy behavior rather than an accident.

(Hey, at least I'm honest about my bias!) . ;)

I actually read someone complaining about being charged at least twice on Reddit, but didn't think anything about it. I saw my charge on the 25th and assumed "oh, I guess they hadn't already charged me before release". Then I searched my email for "origin.com" and saw the two alerts from my bank (which sends me statements every time a payment is processed) and found the two, almost three months apart.

I'm sure they'll return the funds, but it's the having to deal with customer support over this that is such a damn hassle. *sigh*
    Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Yeah, I hate when people call a double-charge a "scam." I don't think any company would want to risk having their colons inverted by angry customers by intentionally double-charging them.

What I'm saying is that it's a payment error and you should call or get in touch with their customer support. Or call your bank and get it sorted that way. EA is evil, but not that evil.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Cloudenvy

This insane distaste for Origin is becoming a little too much for me, I bet if this was Steam no one would've given it a second thought and just contacted support.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SlasherMan

Are you sure it's not a hold from your bank? Sometimes the same happens to me for certain payments, which makes it appear like a double charge at first, but then the amount is refunded a few days later.

I don't know, a possibility to consider.

EDIT: Nvm, I skimmed through the first post and didn't notice the dates at first.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By zombie2011

Yep definitely a scam, there is no way this could be a simple error. Fuck EA and Fuck Origin.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Vodun

@Cloudenvy said:

This insane distaste for Origin is becoming a little too much for me, I bet if this was Steam no one would've given it a second thought and just contacted support.

Nonono, it is quite obvious the very creation of EA has been leading up to this. Just wait and see, now they'll charge everyone twice for BF3 and then the entire company runs off to some tropical island with our money.

JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JudgeDread

@Cloudenvy said:

what support?

: )

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Vodun said:

@Cloudenvy said:

Nonono, it is quite obvious the very creation of EA has been leading up to this. Just wait and see, now they'll charge everyone twice for BF3 and then the entire company runs off to some tropical island with our money.

And they'll obviously murder your dog the second you look away!

Hameyadea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Hameyadea

@Vodun said:

@Cloudenvy said:

Don't you mean "to some tropical island made with our money" ?

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Branthog

@Cloudenvy said:

I sincerely doubt that. Have you read the absolute vitriol over Steam over the years? Some of it fair, even (when people have had entire accounts wiped without explanation, lost access to games they've purchased, etc). I've had great experiences with Steam and out of hundreds of transactions with almost 500 games there, I've never been double charged or had poor customer service or anything else, but you can find plenty of gripes about it. In fact, it seems every conversation about Steam eventually descends into back and forth stories of why people won't ever use Steam again.

Granted, it's not like EA is actually trying to pull one over on people or anything, but how in the hell do you just randomly charge someone for something several months later? This isn't like an accidental double-charge while processing an order yesterday. It's separated by a quarter of a year. If they did it for one account, they've certainly done it for countless others.

Also, yes. Fuck EA and Fuck Origin. For endless reasons.

Companies bank a certain karma and reputation. There's a reason some companies are given a pass with mistakes and people are more forgiving of them while others are given a short leash and quick venom.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Yep, I'm not surprised a "mistake" like this happened.  

Glad I didn't want Origin to have anything to do with my credit card.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jetsetwillie

@Branthog said:

@Soap said:

Yeah, but this is Origin; not Steam. Therefore, it's scammy behavior rather than an accident.

I actually read someone complaining about being charged at least twice on Reddit, but didn't think anything about it. I saw my charge on the 25th and assumed "oh, I guess they hadn't already charged me before release". Then I searched my email for "origin.com" and saw the two alerts from my bank (which sends me statements every time a payment is processed) and found the two, almost three months apart.

I'm sure they'll return the funds, but it's the having to deal with customer support over this that is such a damn hassle. *sigh*

so you think EA are actively stealing peoples money. if this is the case surely this a matter for the police and not a forum on the internet. if there scamming people dude get on the phone to the law and get it sorted.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Branthog

@JudgeDread said:

@Cloudenvy said:

what support?

That was going to be my comment, also. You get the impression that there is no Steam support. That they're almost sort of like Google in that you get what you get and if you have any problems, that's just tough luck for you. Then I actually encountered an issue where I needed their assistance (for some reason, my bank constantly flags transactions with Steam as possibly fraudulent, despite the fact that I've made hundreds of transactions with them over something like seven years). They were quick to respond and quite helpful.

EA may also be the same. I don't know. I've been sitting here waiting for someone to talk to me for the better part of an hour, already.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Branthog

@jetsetwillie said:

@Branthog said:

@Soap said:

so you think EA are actively stealing peoples money. if this is the case surely this a matter for the police and not a forum on the internet. if there scamming people dude get on the phone to the law and get it sorted.

Erm. No, you contact the merchant. If no resolution, you contact your credit card company. They process a charge back. If there are too many of those (as in, they've done this to a lot of people and those people caught it), then they possibly issue a penalty against the merchant.

Seriously, half the people in this thread don't understand the concept of hyperbole. Yes, I put "double charge scam" in the topic instead of "double charge boo-boo" or "double charge quagmire" or "they accidentally me the double charge". Tough.

JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JudgeDread

@Branthog said:

@JudgeDread said:

@Cloudenvy said:

what support?

That was going to be my comment, also. You get the impression that there is no Steam support. That they're almost sort of like Google in that you get what you get and if you have any problems, that's just tough luck for you. Then I actually encountered an issue where I needed their assistance (for some reason, my bank constantly flags transactions with Steam as possibly fraudulent, despite the fact that I've made hundreds of transactions with them over something like seven years). They were quick to respond and quite helpful.

EA may also be the same. I don't know. I've been sitting here waiting for someone to talk to me for the better part of an hour, already.

actually I had good experience with EA support (chat) when I needed to get my veteran status fixed (all my BF games registered for epenis lenght). But it probably depends on who you end up with and how normal the issue is. They all sit and scan databases for help, no actual knowledge required.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Branthog

@Cloudenvy said:

I don't even have a do -- OH MY GOD YOU'RE RIGHT! They've traveled back in time and prevented me from even getting a dog. Those bitches...!

@JudgeDread said:

actually I had good experience with EA support (chat) when I needed to get my veteran status fixed (all my BF games registered for epenis lenght)

I kind of cared about the veteran stuff for a minute, then gave up on the whole thing. I've played many games and registered as many as would work (sometimes they don't work) over the years and for some reason, only two or three are showing up. I have no idea what makes them show up or not, anymore. I have always found EA's account stuff complex, convoluted, and confusing. I think that experience is what turned most people off of the concept of Origin, right from the beginning. The only account system as frustrating is probably Ubisoft/UPlay (unless I'm forgetting another one).

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By tmthomsen

@Branthog said:

Also, yes. Fuck EA and Fuck Origin. For endless reasons.

Companies bank a certain karma and reputation. There's a reason some companies are given a pass with mistakes and people are more forgiving of them while others are given a short leash and quick venom.

Couldn't agree more.

JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JudgeDread

@Branthog said:

@Cloudenvy said:

I don't even have a do -- OH MY GOD YOU'RE RIGHT! They've traveled back in time and prevented me from even getting a dog. Those bitches...!

@JudgeDread said:

actually I had good experience with EA support (chat) when I needed to get my veteran status fixed (all my BF games registered for epenis lenght)

I kind of cared about the veteran stuff for a minute, then gave up on the whole thing. I've played many games and registered as many as would work (sometimes they don't work) over the years and for some reason, only two or three are showing up. I have no idea what makes them show up or not, anymore. I have always found EA's account stuff complex, convoluted, and confusing. I think that experience is what turned most people off of the concept of Origin, right from the beginning. The only account system as frustrating is probably Ubisoft/UPlay (unless I'm forgetting another one).

yes, I think I have at least three different accounts, or was it seven... on EAs various pages. that part is pure shit. hopefully it will be fixed due to them putting effort into Origin.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By vitor

@Branthog: According to Reddit, the money won't actually have been taken out of your account and the transaction should be cancelled before that happens. It's still ludicrous that something like this can happen but, still, at least they're not actually deducting the funds.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Branthog

@Vitor said:

@Branthog: According to Reddit, the money won't actually have been taken out of your account and the transaction should be cancelled before that happens. It's still ludicrous that something like this can happen but, still, at least they're not actually deducting the funds.

I spent two hours dealing with this. At least it's via chat, which goes a long way in mitigating frustration and stress. On both ends, probably. They insisted that there was only ever one charge, even though I'm looking at two of them in my online banking statement. I'm going to watch for the next week to see if it is canceled or reversed and hopefully I won't have to spend any more of my time dealing with them (nothing against the customer support people themselves - they're perfectly decent and helpful - it's just a matter of the investment of time dealing with it).

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By vitor

@Branthog: Best of luck to you - that seems like a real hassle to deal with all things considered. I actually don't mind Origin and really like the web portal for the BF3 server browsing. It's incredibly cool to be able to search for a game while checking my emails/facebook and then just have it drop me in. And customer support on EA's end seems pretty decent, minus a few horror stories. The fact they have any live chat option at all already beats out Steam.

That said, man, this past week for EA has been atrocious. Stuff like what's happening to you and others should never happen under any circumstances. I really like the way John Riccitiello was turning that company around but it depresses me to still see shit like this.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#26  Edited By AndrewB

Nothing like the time Apple charged me 6 times for OS X Lion. One for each unrelated app I had "purchased" (they were all free apps) through the app store.

Man, it's never fun to be overcharged... even a quick resolution can mean days to weeks until things clear the banks.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CL60

Scam?

Uhhh.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MikkaQ

Glad I used a debit account to buy it. Which happened to drain all my funds. I have no other money for them to double charge even if they wanted to haha.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Yeah yeah EA is evil and they stole your money and are planning to kill your family, get over it.

Just call their customer service and they will give you your money back.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CL60

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Yeah yeah EA is evil and they stole your money and are planning to kill your family, get over it.

Just call their customer service and they will give you your money back.

My dog died a few years ago. I bet it was EA and Origin that did it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eca34e37141a
    deactivated-5eca34e37141a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude that's pretty bad. I know it's slightly evil of me but I kind of hope they have done this to other people just so they get more bad PR, I think EA get away with way too much bad shit.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By Lunar_Aura

ugh-rigin

Mitch0712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mitch0712

Origin charges you after the game is preloaded or released when dealing with preorders

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By mfpantst
    @Branthog: hope you get that shit sorted out, man.  Saw you on the server some last night.  Hope to see some more.
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Branthog

@Mitch0712 said:

Origin charges you after the game is preloaded or released when dealing with preorders

Yes, you would presume that the charge would occur either at the point of sale or at the point of release.

blogpostnogood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By blogpostnogood
    2011-10-01DRI*EA*Origin.c Dublin NL
    2011-10-29DRI*EA*Origin.c Dublin NL

Phew, I have paid allot for BF3... Since EA has shut down their support channels, who can we email with regards to this?

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#37  Edited By huntad

To be fair, I'd probably be pissed if this happened to me as well. However, I wouldn't blame EA in the slightest and I certainly wouldn't make a thread about it, because I know mistakes happen. This has happened to me before multiple times in the past. Just get it sorted out and move on with your life.

(Or hold a grudge against EA for the rest of your life. I really don't care how you choose to waste your time.)

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By mike

@huntad said:

To be fair, I'd probably be pissed if this happened to me as well. However, I wouldn't blame EA in the slightest and I certainly wouldn't make a thread about it, because I know mistakes happen. This has happened to me before multiple times in the past. Just get it sorted out and move on with your life.

(Or hold a grudge against EA for the rest of your life. I really don't care how you choose to waste your time.)

Couldn't have said it better myself. Hardly worthy of a thread, especially one with such a misleading title.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.