Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

EA Says Battlefield 3’s Already Sold 5 Million Copies

• 108 results
    Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Impossibilium

@YukoAsho said:

@tekmojo said:

@Nightriff said:

@Brendan: Yes I am aware that the game has already been reviewed, Jeff gave it a 4, just was saying I don't care how well a game sells

Jeff didn't review BF3.

Indeed. Who's Dave Snider anyway? He one of the interns?

Eh, old friend of the Jeff, Ryan etc. designer of Giant Bomb, code guru and diehard PC gamer.

Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By Nettacki

@BillyMethers said:

Too bad it's loaded with spyware. People have been complaining all over Amazon about how the PC version (Origin) is scanning all of their files and folders, including folders holding their tax returns. I think that's a complete invasion of privacy and some of them even posted screenshots in the comments.

Seriously, don't let Origin on your computer.

Bullshit. I have Origin on PC and it's no more harmful to my computer than Steam. i.e. not much.

Show us some real screenshots of this "spyware" and proof this shit exists. Otherwise, you're just another anti-Origin fearmongerer.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#103  Edited By nightriff

@tekmojosaid:

@Nightriff said:

@Brendan: Yes I am aware that the game has already been reviewed, Jeff gave it a 4, just was saying I don't care how well a game sells

Jeff didn't review BF3.

Oh sorry, completely my bad, I thought Jeff was doing it from what he was saying during the bombcast last week, my fault for not doing any research

Commisar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#104  Edited By Commisar

@BillyMethers: no, that is COMPLETE nonsense. Origin does THIS:

Yay. Conspiracies. So let's see what Origin really does, shall we?

If you hook process monitor onto Origin you will not see Origin scanning anything, independently of how long you use it. So what triggered the OP's screenshot?

Origin on installation will try to find games installed on your harddrive and automatically register them within Origin. It does that in a couple of different ways:

1. It reads the windows games registry
    2. It looks for games in Program Files
    3. It looks for games in ProgramData (where, for unknown reason the OP's SMS and tax software are storing the data instead of the user profile where that data should go!)
    4. it reads the xfire config if it finds one for games

If you look at the screenshot closely you will see that it does not actually read any files. Instead it looks for their existence and recursively walks the directory. It does not read any of your files, at least not judging from this screenshot or anything I have found on my machine.

Lastly if you monitor the network traffic that Origin causes you will see that it does not transmit anything of value to EA. So far I have not seen anything bug login credentials being submitted.

But it's always so much more fun to assume that software is inherently evil. You can hook a syscall monitor on any application and you will see that it operates all over the drive. That's not something unique to Origin. Steam will do the same if you click the "add non steam game" button.

//EDIT: something I forgot: I think people should not run any sysinternals tools without a basic understanding of what they do or at least not jump to conclusions.

Commisar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#105  Edited By Commisar

@DonPixel: hell yes, BF3 deserves all the success and acclaim it is given

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#106  Edited By Jayross

$300 million of revenue... I am sure EA and their retailers are quite happy.

Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Cretaceous_Bob

@Nightriff said:

Oh sorry, completely my bad, I thought Jeff was doing it from what he was saying during the bombcast last week, my fault for not doing any research

Reading the name of the reviewer or even glancing at the animated representation of the reviewer is "research"?

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#108  Edited By sickVisionz

@Jimbo said:

Hey lil soldier you aint ready for war, C.O.D. too strong for y'all.

Excellent

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#109  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Glad to see someone doing a beat down on the COD/MW franchise. Though
    I've got to say that these types of games are no longer all that interesting for 
    me.

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#110  Edited By Evilmetal

also interesting to observe the total player counts for each platform... http://bf3stats.com/
    As of this post:

Global stats
    PC online    182,558
    PS3 online   174,328
    360 online   241,583

It will be interesting to see how this holds up post MW3 launch, because BF3 is just feeding an empty period of lacking games. Soon Skyrim and MW3... people will consider trading-in. However maybe EA is counting on an OCD of unlocking all items and getting dogtags in order to compel people to not trade-in... maybe also B2K thing too. Will be an interesting week.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.