Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

flying the VENOM is a thankless job...

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Jackel2072

So a few hours ago i got done playing Wake Island. I was flying the wonderful machine that is the UH-1Y VENOM. i had a dedicated flight crew. i get hit someone would fix me. both gunners were top notch killing everything i placed in their sights. spent pretty much the entire round behind the sticks of that bird, helped capture a bunch of flags. only too get 260 points... Now i love flying that thing and regardless i will continue to fly. however i do wish DICE would give a little more credit to the pilot of the that thing. its a valuable weapon if used properly 

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I agree. You deserve bonus points just for being the pilot of a transport helicopter, because it really is a boring job. Until you start capping flags with a fully loaded vehicle, suppress areas with two gunners, and serve as a mobile spawn point. At that point you become the de facto leader of the team.

UH-1Y pilots should also get medals for not killing everyone aboard, which is something I became very familiar with in BF2.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By swoxx

There are still things about the point system that I find straight up stupid. This is one example. You should get at least 50 points for driver assists.

Also the fact that you get a meager 20 points for laser designating something and no assist points if someone shoots down your painted target, fucking no one uses SOFLAM unless they're hardcore team players because the points aren't there.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#4  Edited By Draugen

There are a few roles in the game that seem to be underappreciated. Laserpainting targets for example, either with the SOFLAM or with a helicopter sees all the points for any kills go to the man with the javelin.

EDIT: @Swoxx: I don't appreciate you reading my reply and then travelling back in time to make the point before me. That is not responsible use of that technology.

insidergamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By insidergamer

If nothing else, the devs should really implement voice chat (with a good codec) *in-game*. At the very least, you might get thanked or get some well-deserved kudos from your fellow team/squad.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Marz

Do some fun things like, Smashing people with your chopper for road kills if you want to make it more interesting :P

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Red12b

@Jackel2072 said:

So a few hours ago i got done playing Wake Island. I was flying the wonderful machine that is the UH-1Y VENOM. i had a dedicated flight crew. i get hit someone would fix me. both gunners were top notch killing everything i placed in their sights. spent pretty much the entire round behind the sticks of that bird, helped capture a bunch of flags. only too get 260 points... Now i love flying that thing and regardless i will continue to fly. however i do wish DICE would give a little more credit to the pilot of the that thing. its a valuable weapon if used properly

I love the venom, and agree with your sentiment

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By kindgineer

@Marz said:

Do some fun things like, Smashing people with your chopper for road kills if you want to make it more interesting :P

I think he is talking more about the game recognizing his acts rather than the players. I am sure the players thought it was an epic run if he had a dedicated crew. DICE really doesn't do the point system it's justice. As mention, painting targets, flying vehicles correctly, and overall assisting just isn't praised or recognized as much as it should.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By tim_the_corsair

There should be pilot points, maybe assists and spawn points? Open to exploitation, but it's all I can think of. I'd also like to institute a bonus 1000 points to anyone that jumps into the pilot seat from the back and keeps it in the air after the cunt of a pilot abandons the full chopper so he can land on a roof and snipe. Not that I'm bitter.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By jmrwacko

Yeah, there should definitely be higher assist values in this game, like 2x higher across the board.

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By spartanlolz92

tell the engineers repairing you to have javelins and you become the most over powered vehicle in the game you cant die already and now you can kill tanks. only way that people manage to kill me when im playing with friends in the venom is if there in a jet

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12  Edited By damnboyadvance
    The pilot should at least get more points when a gunner gets a kill. The pilot deserves at least 50 points. He's the one putting the gunners in position to get kills.

@Tim_the_Corsair said:
    There should be pilot points, maybe assists and spawn points? Open to exploitation, but it's all I can think of. I'd also like to institute a bonus 1000 points to anyone that jumps into the pilot seat from the back and keeps it in the air after the cunt of a pilot abandons the full chopper so he can land on a roof and snipe. Not that I'm bitter.
    That doesn't go far enough; The pilot should be demoted back to Private.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By big_jon

Yeah it is pretty weak, in Badcompany 2 there was a lot more reward.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By Seppli

A long time ago I suggested on the official forums that everybody involved in a kill should get a proper kill counter. From spots over kill assists to driver assists. Of course it has to record 'Killing Blows' as well. Their 'up to +99' points for kill assists is a start, but pretty much everything else is just skewed in the opposite direction. These days there's a lot of instrumental stuff that is not being properly rewarded. Driver Kill Assist scoring being the worst offender.

I am an excellent chopper pilot, but I rarely even want to fly these days. Horrible SPM and K/D, especially flying the transport choppers. That and I can't stand lock-on warfare. There's no fun in countering lock-ons.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Funkydupe

Its no fun shooting at attack- or the even more rare transport choppers when they can counter everything either. I haven't shot down a chopper by myself in this game yet, but I did that quite often in fun ways using both RPGs/Tanks in BF2. I miss the comedy in that.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By swoxx

@Draugen said:

There are a few roles in the game that seem to be underappreciated. Laserpainting targets for example, either with the SOFLAM or with a helicopter sees all the points for any kills go to the man with the javelin.

EDIT: @Swoxx: I don't appreciate you reading my reply and then travelling back in time to make the point before me. That is not responsible use of that technology.

I have the technology, I must use it!

@Funkydupe said:

I haven't shot down a chopper by myself in this game yet, but I did that quite often in fun ways using both RPGs/Tanks in BF2. I miss the comedy in that.

Meh, I kind of like the fact that you have to use teamwork to bring vehicles down. You should not however need soflam, javelin, 14 stingers and 3 AAs to take a chopper down, no sir.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pweidman

No assist points is pretty dumb agreed. But oh well, fuck choppers in general, as they are my bane while I'm always rolling around in tanks.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By PandaBear

Good pilots are hard to find ... for me anyway. So yeah, give them more for each kill when they're piloting. AND I think your bonuses should get bigger the longer you're in the air and helping.

Also one of the flags should be for whoever has the best control of the airspace ... that way the pilots supporting the on ground guys get captures too.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By bwmcmaste

@big_jon said:

I'm calling bullshit on this right now. BF3 has an overgenerous reward system, especially when compared to BC2 (i.e. KA points not proportional to damage done, no designator points, etc.). You get points just for sitting in a vehicle while your team mate kills enemy units.

Regarding the OP's comments: sometimes the best way to help your team isn't necessarily commensurate with racking up lots of points.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By RIDEBIRD

A buff for this is coming in the patch. Since DICE seems to have taken a vacation in all departments, PR included, no one will ever know when that shows up. Til then, CHEATERS YAY

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
    deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

DICE mentioned in a recent interview that they would increase the point gain by drivers.

Also, maybe gaining horn sounds on cars. Hell yes.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By big_jon

@bwmcmaste said:

@big_jon said:

I'm calling bullshit on this right now. BF3 has an overgenerous reward system, especially when compared to BC2 (i.e. KA points not proportional to damage done, no designator points, etc.). You get points just for sitting in a vehicle while your team mate kills enemy units.

Regarding the OP's comments: sometimes the best way to help your team isn't necessarily commensurate with racking up lots of points.

I meant in regard to flying a transport helo, ass.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By veektarius

@bwmcmaste: That's what the points are supposed to indicate - who did the most for his team. That's why you get points for heals and revives.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.