Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

If You Could Turn All Dials - What Are Your Priority Tweaks?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli
    • Decrease Infantry Movement Speed Drastically - High Movement Speed Favors Twitch over Tactics
    • Slight Increase of Average Firearm TTK (time to kill) - Especially on High Rate of Fire Guns

Other than that, I'm fundamentally not okay with several of BF3's concepts, especially when it comes to lacking visibility (and messing with it way too much) and lock-on and indirect weaponry and vehicle customization, but those are fundamental dislikes, rather than balancing tweaks.

So what balancing tweaks would you like to see? Stuff that can likely be fixed by 'turning a dial' (for all I know)?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    • BF2 commo rose. That means make it loud, use only 3 voice commands for each comm command (not 20 random ones), and have whoever use it flash in the 3D world and what they say show up on screen.
    • Replace javelins and mobile stingers with manually guided rocket launchers. Keep stationary stingers to be used with or without SOFLAM help. Shoot your rocket and guide it to the air vehicle, not click and forget.
    • Reduce the amount of "I'M GETTING FUCKED UP THE ASS OVER HERE" automated shouts (all of them not just that example).
    • In-game VOIP for squad mates, not just on Battlelog.
    • End-of-round stats that show everybody's work, from most kills to most repairs to best pilot.
    • Console key (`) show the entire chat log. People miss the chat sometimes and they can't scroll up.
    • Fix the live scoreboard on Battlelog for every server. BF2 did it perfectly from day 1.
    • Better menus, better loading screen with information, better UI.
    • Better ordering system for squad leaders.
    • Jeeps are way too weak, they shouldn't break from 2 bullets.

Thankfully, Armored Kill looks like my wettest dream in video game form, so any complaints I have about flags are gone.

@Seppli said:

• Decrease Infantry Movement Speed Drastically - High Movement Speed Favors Twitch over Tactics

Sounds good. Well, not drastically.

bishna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By bishna

Ya dudes do move a little fast, but if you are going to slow people down you have GOT to give them more health. I think that you die much too quickly in BF3 and would love to see how firefights play out with a bit more longevity. Also I don't like the fact that air vehicles are so easy to escape after getting hit. But I also don't like how easy it is to hit air vehicles lol.

Despite my qualms I do quite enjoy Battlefield 3 and I'm pretty good at it which is a plus.

Number one slider I would change would be the number of players on the Giant Bomb server. Need to get more people on there!

EDIT: Also these

@AhmadMetallic said:

• Reduce the amount of "I'M GETTING FUCKED UP THE ASS OVER HERE" automated shouts (all of them not just that example).
    • Jeeps are way too weak, they shouldn't break from 2 bullets.
    Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4  Edited By Giantstalker
    • Fix weapon ballistics to be more realistic, notably at greater distances. This applies chiefly to the tank which has ridiculous amounts of drop even under 500m.
    • Lock on weapons have much greater range but more limited ammo, same for the rocket launchers. I like having them in the game but they should at least be done a little more realistically.
    • Fewer and less visible tracers, especially in bright sunlight. Many weapons shouldn't even have tracers loaded (anything sub-carbine).
    • IFVs/Tanks should have the coaxial machine gun by default, it shouldn't fill a secondary weapon spot. One of the few things BF2 did better than 3 in my opinion.
    • Vehicles should have limited ammo like ground troops
    • Like it's been said above, add a bit of acceleration time to infantry speeds

Still, even as it is, I love this game. I'd just like something, someday, that was between Battlefield/CoD and Red Orchestra/ArmA in realism.

ChillyUK7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ChillyUK7

Movement speed seems fine, the maps are big, any slower and it would be a real pain getting around, suppression promotes more thoughful movement anyway.

• Reduce filter and sun glare, give the game more vibrant colours.
    • Try and improve Helicopter battles, reduce the need or effect of lock ons, make the winner dependant on who has the better aim because at the moment Heli battles suck.
    • Attack Helicopter, especially on maps like Sharqi CQ isn't balanced, it becomes like shooting fish in a barrel, I know balancing Heli's is very hard in conjunction with lock on weapons so the focus should be put on the balance between AA tanks and Attack Heli's. Also a better fit for Sharqi CQ would be 2 little birds (or whatever the Russian equivalent is)
    • VOIP although I don't think it will be a huge help with team play it will certainly help.
    • When the spawn you are selecting becomes unavailable you are defaulted to a 'No Spawn' option, this would prevent accidently spawning at your base etc, it doesn't happen as much as before but its still a problem.
    • Remove invulrability on players spawning on another player/improve flag spawn locations.
    • Introduce more scopes, most to me are a pain to use.
    • Reduce the effectivness of canister shells at med/long range which would make the LMG/HMG more viable options for the engagements they were designed for.
    ChillyUK7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ChillyUK7

@AhmadMetallic said:

• Replace javelins and mobile stingers with manually guided rocket launchers. Keep stationary stingers to be used with or without SOFLAM help. Shoot your rocket and guide it to the air vehicle, not click and forget.

I like this idea, it would also be far more fun/satisfying and balanced than 'fire and forget'.

phampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By phampire

A rebalace of the gun damage and recoil to increase diversity of gun usage. Right now a large majority of players seem to use the m16 assault rifle with fore grip and heavy barrel or silencer for its ease of use due to its high accuracy, low recoil and quick time to kill.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Seppli

@Giantstalker:

You are pretty much the opposite of what I am about. I prefer Battlefield going more in direction videogame, and less in direction military simulation.

• I'd have 100% tracer rounds/vapor trails. BF:BC 1 & 2 were that way and I loved the clarity of the visual feedback (no need for gods damn retarded minimap auto audio spotting). A guy with open eyes and ears could pretty much read the entire situation on the Battlefield without ever looking at the UI. These days, between crass vignetting, desaturation, extreme high contrast - overblown lights and black as night shadows - and god-damn suppression blur - visibility is lower than in any FPS game ever before. God dammit. Add unprecedented graphical detail to that, and kiss all clarity of visual feedback goodbye.
    • I'd have so much more drop on tankshells. And throw off aim relative to movement direction and speed. And slow that shell the fuck down. So it'd be closer to how tanks fired in every prior Battlefield game - when 'compensating' was the name of the game. Now that tanks pretty much always shoot where they aim at with pinpoint accuracy regardless, it's just not that fun for me anymore. Playerskill counts for little now. Teamwork (having a coordinated crew) and loadout dependencies and defensive cooldowns rule the game.
    • Absolutely agree with you and Ahmad that BF3's anti-air mechanics are little to no fun. I prefer small arms damage and stationary/vehicular AA turrets and such. If I'd 'fix lock-on weapons', I'd make them much more reliable and easy to use. You lock-on, and you're pretty much are guaranteed a hit. I'd just drastically increase TTK - to like 6-10 lock-on hits to down a bird, whilst also drastically increasing defensive cooldowns and buffing 'under the radar'. Make flying low the way to go, and flying high a limited time offer - a calculated risk.

@ChillyUK7:

• Color Palettes, Saturation, Light and Shadows - oh dearie - I'm very much in the same boat as you on this.
    • BF:BC 2 Vietnam had the best chopper on chopper action. Rocketpod duels were crazy fun. Totally agree on that.
    • Your list reads like a portion of my own wishlist really.

Totally forgot about BF3's wierd scoring, taking a shit on pilots and designated drivers and dependency supporters (SOFLAM and such). Supportive players setting up other players for massive kills and score get the short end of the stick. So wierd.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Seppli

btw. anybody else hate the lack of a proper 'sneaky' CQC-centric kit (using PDWs and Shotguns). Being the only kit getting suppression. I flippin' hate how everybody's a flippin' ninja - without distinction or real downside. Where's my Spec Ops guy?

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10  Edited By Giantstalker

@Seppli: Fair enough, I suppose that's why the gameplay we actually got is somewhere between what you wanted and what I wanted. That's what happens when they try to please everybody I guess. I love the way the game looks as it is but I am biased towards the more layered, realistic approach they used in BF3's visuals. Clarity and visual feedback - much like on a real battlefield - are often hard to come by. I see it as part of the challenge and appreciate it as such. I do agree though that pilots need to get more credit for passenger activity in some vehicles, especially the Amtrak and Viper.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.