Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Karl Magnus Says Dice Are "Thinking" About Mod Tools for BF3

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Karl Magnus Troedsson has evidently said that mod tools are a possibility still for BF3.  He said they definitely won't be in at launch, but they may possibly be implemented later.  Here's the quote:

“I will say that there’s been a lot of cool things coming out of the mod community for many years; I have a lot of respect for the people in the mod community, at the same time, as developers of a game of this magnitude — I mean, it’s the biggest thing we’ve ever done — we have to select what it is we’re going to spend our focus on. We cannot do everything; it’s basically like that.”

“We have heard the community very loud and clear on this topic — that they want mod tools, we are considering it, back in the studio. The game won’t ship with mod tools, but we have heard it. I’m not saying that we’re going to do it, I’m saying that we are thinking about it.”

http://www.xboxdailynews.com/2011/08/29/dice-considering-mod-tools-for-battlefield-3-defend-30-fps-again/

I hope they do eventually implement mod tools, as having mod tools is always better than not having them. 
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By mikemcn

They released mod tools for Black Ops, Battlefield 3 has no excuse to not have them. Sometimes they argue that the engine is too complex, but. regardless of how advanced Frostbite 3 is, the users themselves have proved more than capable of handling complex mod tools.

Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Ping5000

They've already stated that their engine is placed all over server farms, so I can't imagine that it'd be easy for them to package it into a manageable tool. It comes down to "makes it easy for us" or "make it possible for everyone else to use too" and I guess they just went with the former. If anyone thinks they're entitled to mod tools, then go die. I know it's a shame that BF3 probably won't have them, but go die.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.