Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Proposed balance changes by Dice

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By mosdl

Link.

Lots of changes listed in the linked article, these are just the ones that jumped at me.

What I like:

• Increased the locking distance for Jets when locking on laser designated targets.
    • Tank rounds will now instantly destroy Jets, Attack Helicopters, and Scout Helicopters.
    • Using flares too early will no longer distract missiles fired at long range. The missile must be approaching the vehicle in order to reliably be distracted by flares.
    • Reduced the direct damage done by helicopter gunners vs armor.
    • Significantly increased the damage of Laser Guided Top Attack missiles.
    • Slightly reduced the repair speed of the repair tool.
    • Fixed a problem when locking on to two nearby targets, the locking should no longer jump rapidly between multiple targets.
    • Slightly reduced the effective blast radius of the RPG and SMAW projectiles against infantry.
    • Increased the spawn protection time from 1sec to 2sec. The protection will still be immediately canceled as soon as the player moves or shoots.

No a fan:

• Reduced the total number of RPG and SMAW missiles carried from 5 to 4.
    Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Canteu

"Slightly reduced the effective blast radius of the RPG and SMAW projectiles against infantry."

It's basically 0 splash already.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mosdl

@Canteu said:

"Slightly reduced the effective blast radius of the RPG and SMAW projectiles against infantry."

Not on PC, spamming RPGs can get you easy kills, especially on metro/sienne.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By Sooperspy

Is that all that was in the patch? It was almost an 800 mb download on PS3.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mosdl

@Redbullet685 said:

Is that all that was in the patch? It was almost an 800 mb download on PS3.

No, these are proposed balance changes, not part of the patch.

Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Mahonay

These are precisely the things I wanted balanced for Battlefield 3. Very quickly after the game released it was apparent to me that there were a lot of serious balance issues. Pretty much everything listed in this proposal addresses the things about the game that were irritating to me (aside from the rocket splash damage, that seems fine). I'm hoping this goes through, I think it would make the game a lot more enjoyable than it already is.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ghost_cat

I say slightly faster lock-ons for stingers. Enemy air recharges their IR flares right when I fire a rocket.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By eclipsesis

What about the effect of flashlight during the day. that seriously needs to be amended, torches just don't do that in light : (

herocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By herocide
    @Ghost_Cat said:

I say slightly faster lock-ons for stingers. Enemy air recharges their IR flares right when I fire a rocket.

Yeah, a jet/helo could screw you over forever unless there happens to be another AA dude nearby.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By mikemcn
    Reduced the recoil of the SKS rifle and slightly increased its power at close range.

Good, the SKS is super underpowered unless you can consistently get 3 shots to hit an enemy simultaneously at long range. I tried using it up close and it took me something like 6 rounds to kill an enemy.

Using flares too early will no longer distract missiles fired at long range. The missile must be approaching the vehicle in order to reliably be distracted by flares.

Not sure how they'll make this work.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By big_jon

I like them all.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mosdl

@Mikemcn said:

Using flares too early will no longer distract missiles fired at long range. The missile must be approaching the vehicle in order to reliably be distracted by flares.

Not sure how they'll make this work.

sounds like flares will only work when the missile is X meters away from the plane.

Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mahonay

@eclipsesis said:

What about the effect of flashlight during the day. that seriously needs to be amended, torches just don't do that in light : (

They could be using really powerful LEDs?

This is something that really bugs me too. Makes absolutely no sense.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SomeJerk

Thank fuck for the flare change.  They should not do that to the RPG and SMAW while keeping the M320 a super-splash through the wall instagibbing cannon of death.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By eclipsesis

@Mahonay said:

@eclipsesis said:

They could be using really powerful LEDs?

This is something that really bugs me too. Makes absolutely no sense.

LED's with the power of super novas!! :)

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mosdl

Dice said the taclight will be less bright depending on distance.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MrKlorox

Holy crap I'm gonna shoot down so many jets now!

Do we know what exactly will or will not cancel the spawn protection? Is looking around with the mouse the only thing you can do? Does ADS or changing weapons break it?

edit: "Spawn protection will no longer be canceled by the player looking around." Oh... no wonder. There practically was no such thing as spawn protection on PC since mice are so sensitive. Glad that's going to be looked at.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By Seppli

Spot on... except for spawn protection. Silly crutch is aggrivating and lazy. Why can't they simply come up with decent spawn mechanics, instead of relying on a 10 years old design that was broken from the get-go. And I'm talking the entire fucking gaming industry. Innovate spawn mechanics already. I can think of spawn mechanics off the top of my head which would be less broken and less exploitable than the 'handful of predefined spawnpoints' mechanics common in pretty much every online multiplayer FPS game to date. Get codin' already. Stop the my gamer rage!

LibertyForAll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LibertyForAll

Is there IR recharge ??? I assumed the pilot just gets one because the first stinger is always flared away and then sometimes I get a hit with the second. (other pilots are the reason I haven't even been able to unlock IR flares yet to find out...) The T-90 style tank round seems to be one hit kill on aircraft already in my experience. I've actually shot down more aircraft that way than with stingers... It's vehicle machine guns that don't make much sense to me. They are supposed to be 50 cal but a lot times it takes 4-5 hits to kill infantry. After the patch you can lay a whole stream of hits into a chopper until the gun overheats and not even do 50% damage. I think it would be interested to move somewhat closed to a weight based loadout (ala joint operations if anyone is familiar with that game) I can carry 4 or 5 (or 8+ with expl perk) multi-pound rpg rounds but only one or two hand grenades??? Maybe I could give up a couple ammo clips in order to carry an extra mine, etc

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By AuthenticM

Just downloaded the thing. They still haven't fixed the input lag.

Fuck this game. Fuck Dice and Fuck EA. I knew I shouldn't have fucking preordred this piece of shit game. Goddamn I feel ripped off.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By clstirens

@AuthenticM said:

Fuck this game. Fuck Dice and Fuck EA. I knew I shouldn't have fucking preordred this piece of shit game. Goddamn I feel ripped off.

WOAH, there! Calm down just a little bit, man. I understand you're mad but don't blow a damn gasket!

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @big_jon said:

I like them all.

LibertyForAll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LibertyForAll

Actually I've shot down more aircraft with the RPG than the SMAW also....
    at least then I can aim it and the pilot gets no warning about it
    So I guess I'm for reducing the IR flare effectiveness and not sure about reducing rpg/smaw count.
    I'm sure pilots feel otherwise tho.

Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mahonay

@AuthenticM said:

Whoa now. I hope you're not currently packing up some kind of bomb device addressed to the EA offices. You know, like some kind of...giant bomb. YES! FUCK YOU GUYS.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AuthenticM

I am really pissed off. I don't intend to boycott Dice's future games; but I can assure you that no preorder will ever be put down again.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MikkaQ

Spawn protection still needs to be a bit longer and apply when the person moves.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By bwmcmaste

@mosdl said:

• Significantly increased the damage of Laser Guided Top Attack missiles.

That's something that I'm very glad to see. I spent a game on citv with another fellow and we were appalled at how little damage was done for all the work involved in lining up a javelin/citv shot.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By Red12b

@mosdl said:

@Canteu said:

Not on PC, spamming RPGs can get you easy kills, especially on metro/sienne.

fucking metro

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By Wuddel

@big_jon said:

I like them all.

QFT. I would say reduce the RPGs to 3. Its way to easy for infantry to take down tanks, since basically everyone goes Engi on the vehicle maps. The Stinger change is no issue. I always only fire the flares when I get the "missiles fired" beep. Just do not change the recharge time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By 137

@AuthenticM said:

We're all here to weep with you. *tear*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By 137

@MikkaQ said:

Spawn protection still needs to be a bit longer and apply when the person moves.

It's not so much spawn protection, there shouldn't be any spawn protection. They should just make it "spawn on squad leader only" instead of sitting not helping and picking and choosing the least path of resistance in a fire fight. If you want to turn it into an argument over spawn trending then that's on the developers. I was playing Bazar and wasnt even trying to cap b, I just ran into one of the spawn area's had my squad spawn on me, and proceeded to rape everyone who instantly spawned in that room trying to hold b.

Cheap tactic, maybe but you bet your sweet ass they stopped spawning at B so I could eventually push to capture it.

There are some things I like about the proposed changes, and some things I don't. I personally hate every single semi auto sniper rifle in the game, especially when you can equip a normal sight, a grip and turn it into a 2 shot death gun. I went 22-3 with an sks, grip, kobra sight/invr playing recon in team death match. Those rifles require zero skill to play with, feed me all the bullshit you want about bullet drop or whatever. A sniper/recon person shouldn't be running the streets with the big dawgs. They should be serving their purpose as camping fags.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AlexW00d

Sounds like they are nerfing the attack helis somewhat. The flare recharge time is plenty long enough anyway, I've been able to relock on post flares and get a hit numerous times.

I am glad they are reducing damage against infantry with RPGs though, that shit is silly.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mosdl

@137 said:

There are some things I like about the proposed changes, and some things I don't. I personally hate every single semi auto sniper rifle in the game, especially when you can equip a normal sight, a grip and turn it into a 2 shot death gun. I went 22-3 with an sks, grip, kobra sight/invr playing recon in team death match. Those rifles require zero skill to play with, feed me all the bullshit you want about bullet drop or whatever. A sniper/recon person shouldn't be running the streets with the big dawgs. They should be serving their purpose as camping fags.

How fast are the reloads on those? But yeah, I hate when I get killed like that, upclose, by a sniper gun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By 137

the reload on the semi auto snipers is no different than an g36, or a usas maybe 1-2 seconds

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CL60

I still went them to remove IR Scopes.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MikkaQ

@137: Well I've had a lot of instances of spawning where an explosion is, and I literally couldn't have done anything about it, which is very annoying. Spawn protection is important, but I'd rather they do the thing that BC2 did and spawn you further and further away from your capture point as the other team starts to take it.

LibertyForAll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LibertyForAll

I'm not sure about the spawn invincibility timer. It doesn't makes a lot to sense to me. I don't think you should have any expectation of safety unless you're spawning in your default spawn. If you spawned into a firefight and got hit with an explosion that's your fault/risk.

I really haven't had much trouble with people camping nearby spawn points without capturing the flags. It's annoying when it happens, but equally annoying is when people start appearing out of nowhere before you can fully neutralize, although at that point I guess you're the one nailing them as they spawn so it evens out.

I definately don't think invicibility should extend after you move except maybe in the default spawn. If I see someone randomly appear in a corner near me I'm supposed to delay so I don't waste ammo on them just so they can identify where I am, shoot first and kill me without really doing anything to earn control of that ground?

...If we're talking about deathmatch I might feel differently

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.