Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Screenshot Leaker May Be Sued For 175k Euros...

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli
    EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By EuanDewar

That seems a bit much.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By warxsnake

Why did EA give alpha access to shitheads in the first place. What the fuck did they expect? You leave alpha testing to game testers in-house (developers at the studio). It's not like the game is an mmo requiring more than ~30 testers. Development 101.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By Seppli
    @warxsnake said:

Why did EA give alpha access to shitheads in the first place. What the fuck did they expect? You leave alpha testing to beta testers in-house (developers at the studio). It's not like the game is an mmo requiring more than a dozen testers. Development 101.

Your idea of Alpha is narrow. It's just a factual statement about how set in stone the state of things currently is, not quantifying the amount of already developed content and its quality. We are just 2 months away from open beta and even less to the MoH LE beta and close to release too.

People who get into Alpha are selected from Battlefield's Veteran's program, so the malicious intent would be counteracted by the genuine fan's enthusiasm. The dude in question apparently works for a games publication and hence got an early invite to Alpha testing and abused his privilege to slander BF3 for whatever reason - maliciously.

He's just being threatend with a lawsuit. If I'd be financing the produciton of BF3 and see some dickweed maliciously spreading bad publicity, I'd want to see blood too. Don't think they'll actually go for the kill though. Being a corporate overlord ain't popular either.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Seppli said:

@warxsnake said:

Why did EA give alpha access to shitheads in the first place. What the fuck did they expect? You leave alpha testing to beta testers in-house (developers at the studio). It's not like the game is an mmo requiring more than a dozen testers. Development 101.

Your idea of Alpha is narrow. It's just a factual statement about how set in stone the state of things currently is, not quantifying the amount and quality of the product. We are just 2 months away from open beta and even less to the MoH LE beta and close to release too. People who get into Alpha are selected from the Battlefield Veteran's program, so the malicious intent would be counteracted by the genuine fans enthusiasm. The dude in question apparently works for a games publication and hence got an early invite to Alpha testing and abused his privilege to slander BF3 for whatever reason - maliciously. He's just be threatend with a lawsuit. If I'd be financing the produciton of BF3 and see some dickweed maliciously spreading bad publicity, I'd want to see blood too. Don't think they'll actually go for the kill though. Being a corporate overlord ain't popular either.

Seppli's right. It's a Beta test of the Alpha build. Alpha testing - internal. Beta testing - external. Veteran players are unlikely to be shitheads. BF fans are hardcore, yes, but griefing children? Highly unlikely.

Anyway, more video from the same dude who posted the first linked vid...

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By shivermetimbers

Goody! Now all of the hacker groups have a new target!

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Yeah... He won't be sued.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I just told you that on the other thread 30 minutes ago.. its old news

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By warxsnake

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Seppli said:

@warxsnake said:

Your idea of Alpha is narrow. It's just a factual statement about how set in stone the state of things currently is, not quantifying the amount and quality of the product. We are just 2 months away from open beta and even less to the MoH LE beta and close to release too. People who get into Alpha are selected from the Battlefield Veteran's program, so the malicious intent would be counteracted by the genuine fans enthusiasm. The dude in question apparently works for a games publication and hence got an early invite to Alpha testing and abused his privilege to slander BF3 for whatever reason - maliciously. He's just be threatend with a lawsuit. If I'd be financing the produciton of BF3 and see some dickweed maliciously spreading bad publicity, I'd want to see blood too. Don't think they'll actually go for the kill though. Being a corporate overlord ain't popular either.

Seppli's right. It's a Beta test of the Alpha build. Alpha testing - internal. Beta testing - external. Veteran players are unlikely to be shitheads. BF fans are hardcore, yes, but griefing children? Highly unlikely.

Anyway, more video from the same dude who posted the first linked vid...

Yes I know what alpha vs beta is, I am currently in an alpha and have shipped 6 AAA games. This is besides my initial point that alphas should only be accessed by employees within the development studio (DICE not EA) no matter how early or late the state of the alpha build is (dev consoles, not retail, no internet connection, no publisher access, just straight up game tester employees). "Friends and Family" (i.e. people in publishing and so on) should only have access to the game in its earlier beta states (first beta version, straight after the alpha has been passed).

Again it should be obvious to anyone in the industry that you don't release your alpha to anyone that's not on the fucking studio floor everyday, playing the game internally, especially for a game with so much hype behind it.

No surprise they ended up with a leak.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@warxsnake: DICE knows what they're doing. Someone acting with malicious intent, who they caught and are dealing with effectively doesn't make them idiots by proxy. There are no leaks. They are offering early access because they know this will be great word of mouth and they get to load test in the process.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Bollard
    @Seppli said:
     People who get into Alpha are selected from Battlefield's Veteran's program, so the malicious intent would be counteracted by the genuine fan's enthusiasm. 
    You say that, but I've seen people with a Veteran status of ONE who have access. All they've played is BFBC2 and Heroes. 
    thespartandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By thespartandon

Well, he did agree to the NDA.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FourWude

That's like 175 billion dollars. How many Staples Conventions Centers can be bought with that?

What I should be asking is how quickly could the pentagon waste that money?.... LOL.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By intro

175K? A bit ridiculous...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.