Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Seperate reviews for PC and Console version needed?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By mikemcn

They should just review the best version of the game.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By benjaebe

If GB does decide to review it, they'll review whatever preview copies EA gives them access to. Usually it's a 360 copy, but in a situation like this I think they'd be stupid not to give out preview copies of the PC version as well. And if they do, we'll probably get one of those quick looks that compares the two simultaneously.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Donos

Most game reviews I've read will note differences between versions of a game, and have separate scores if necessary. This isn't anything unusual.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By Icemael

Or reviewers could just write a paragraph or two about the differences. The single player is still the same, as are the weapons, the vehicles, the classes and so on, so even if someone does write separate reviews they will be almost identical.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By samfo

They reviewd Kane and Lynch 2 on both ps3 and 360, it was ostensibly the same review, but on 360 had one star less due to a common glitch that occured.

They will probably mess around with all versions and if there are any obvious differences between PC and console versions mention it in the review.

For mine, considering the differences are controls, graphics and player count. I think they will only do one review.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By samfo

@squirrelnacho: fair enough, whether or not that changes a review or not should be interesting.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By jeanluc  Staff
    @Donos said:

Most game reviews I've read will note differences between versions of a game, and have separate scores if necessary. This isn't anything unusual.

Pretty much. It would be like what Giant Bomb did for Bayonetta.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Afroman269

@Icemael said:

Or reviewers could just write a paragraph or two about the differences. The single player is still the same, as are the weapons, the vehicles, the classes and so on, so even if someone does write separate reviews they will be almost identical.
    Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jazzycola

@squirrelnacho said:

@SamFo: They are also making the console maps smaller.

The maps are smaller to counteract having less players...so those go hand in hand. It's not exactly fun to walk around in a map made for 64 when there's only 24. There'd be a lot of "Man where the fuck is everyone".

But it still doesn't justify a completely different review...one or 2 paragraphs in the review is really all it needs. List differences, say how these differences affect the game, and then give separate score. Also a solid majority of people only look at the score then move on and don't even read the text.

HoM3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By HoM3R

The overall reviews will be and should be for pc version and the buzz created with those will get copies sold for consoles aswell.

EA will not hide the console version for hardcore gamers and try to show it can compete with CoD on 360.

Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Raineko

There should be seperate reviews definitely!
    But how I know GB they are gonna review the worse X360 version...

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Spoonman671

I don't think the different versions will end up being as different as people seem to think.  The disparity between them will probably only warrant a side-bar or a paragraph or two.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@benjaebe said:

If GB does decide to review it, they'll review whatever preview copies EA gives them access to. Usually it's a 360 copy, but in a situation like this I think they'd be stupid not to give out preview copies of the PC version as well. And if they do, we'll probably get one of those quick looks that compares the two simultaneously.

A lot of times, they will have some hands on time with both versions, I'm willing to bet they will play it on a PC to review it, and then play some 360 as well to mention things like performance and general engine differences, and how it controls with a pair of sticks.

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#17  Edited By KillyDarko

Generally speaking, I think separate reviews for PC and Console versions are needed for every game...
    I've lost the count of the number of games I bought that got great reviews on the consoles, but were crappy on the PC.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By damnboyadvance

They should at least note the differences between the console and PC versions.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AlexW00d

If they are going to review the console version, which they probably will, they should at least use the PS3 version, as it is meant to be the superior version, hence why they showed it at Gamesom and not the 360 version. I imagine it will be the 360 version they review though.

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By infininja

@AlexW00d said:

If they are going to review the console version, which they probably will, they should at least use the PS3 version, as it is meant to be the superior version, hence why they showed it at Gamesom and not the 360 version. I imagine it will be the 360 version they review though.

Meant to be the superior version? I'm sure they mean for every version to be as good as it can be on its platform.

smitty86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By smitty86

It will most likely just be a quick look in the same fashion as the Crysis 2 one. Half console version, half PC version.

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Codeacious
    @Infininja said:

@AlexW00d said:

Meant to be the superior version? I'm sure they mean for every version to be as good as it can be on its platform.

They ARE targeting the PC though. (Or, at least, they SAY they are...)
    Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Strife777

No. They usually mention the pros and cons of the different versions if any stands out. The rest is the same for every game, so why bother writing two reviews.

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By Nate
    @Jazzycola said:

@squirrelnacho said:

@SamFo: They are also making the console maps smaller.

The maps are smaller to counteract having less players...so those go hand in hand. It's not exactly fun to walk around in a map made for 64 when there's only 24. There'd be a lot of "Man where the fuck is everyone".

But it still doesn't justify a completely different review...one or 2 paragraphs in the review is really all it needs. List differences, say how these differences affect the game, and then give separate score. Also a solid majority of people only look at the score then move on and don't even read the text.

What he said. And I highly doubt the differences will be big enough that the scores will actually be different on a 5 point scale. For reviews on Gamespot or Game Informer, you might see a couple point difference, but even then it doesn't usually matter that much.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25  Edited By Yanngc33
    @KillyDarko said:
    Generally speaking, I think separate reviews for PC and Console versions are needed for every game... I've lost the count of the number of games I bought that got great reviews on the consoles, but were crappy on the PC.

Same here, I remember when I was a kid, I used to read game reviews from Nintendo Power and then buy the PC version of said game. Man was I surprised when I realized 007 Nightfire had completely different levels
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By Subjugation

They should definitely use the best version (PC) for their review. I don't see them writing two separate reviews though when all that would be different is performance and multiplayer. Then again, maybe they won't even review it. Sometimes we get a QL and that's all we receive from them to glean impressions from. However this is a big release. At the end of the day, only time will tell.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.