Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

So how exactly can the game still be pre-alpha?

withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By withateethuh

The game comes out in 5ish months, so wouldn't it atleast be in beta by now?

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By SSully

All development cycles work differently. The terms like alpha and beta mean completely different things for certain developers as well so its not something consumers like us should pay attention to.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TheMustacheHero

In Sweden, pre-alpha means about to go gold. 

True fact.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By PhatSeeJay

They are showing an optimized pre-alpha build. Doesn't mean their current build, they have over at DICE, still is pre-alpha. They are probably working hard to meet beta by the end of the summer.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@withateethuh: Is it? I'm pretty sure that's just what they are showing off. Plus 5 months is a decent bit of time. All they need to do is polish and fix bugs.

Plus alpha/beta have a variety of meanings for different devs. Sometimes, you are content locked in alpha, sometimes that's beta, sometimes it's before any of that, and alpha is getting the game decently playable wihtout major bugs, and Beta is polishing the shit out of the game.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Dany

What they have been showing is not the latest built of the game.

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By guanophobic

@TheMustacheHero said:

In Sweden, pre-alpha means about to go gold. True fact.

Case in point: Minecraft Beta :)

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Bollard
    @PhatSeeJay said:

They are showing an optimized pre-alpha build. Doesn't mean their current build, they have over at DICE, still is pre-alpha. They are probably working hard to meet beta by the end of the summer.

Yeah, the build they're showing is pre Alpha, not the game. Game is probably mid-late Alpha as it needs to be ready for Beta in September.
    gabha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gabha

More and more I'm convinced that it's just become a hype-drudging term,  "if you're that impressed with our when it's pre-alpha, you just can't even begin to imagine what the beta will look like, let alone the full game".

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    In Sweden, pre-alpha means about to go gold.  True fact.
    haha
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By valrog
    @gabha said:
    More and more I'm convinced that it's just become a hype-drudging term,  "if you're that impressed with our when it's pre-alpha, you just can't even begin to imagine what the beta will look like, let alone the full game".
    Mhm. This whole "Pre-alpha" is becoming more of a PR thing than anything else.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By Seppli
    @withateethuh said:

The game comes out in 5ish months, so wouldn't it atleast be in beta by now?

Pre-Alpha means DICE is still adding and subtracting substantial stuff. Stuff like 'which kit gets which gadgets' and 'let's try out this idea we've got for a new gameplay mechanic' and simply creating all new missions and maps. In other words, DICE is still CREATING NEW STUFF and not every bit of BF3 is in finetuning balancing and polish mode yet. Doesn't mean they're far from being done 'creating' BF3. Just means there's still areas of the game that aren't completely nailed down yet.

Any sane developer just says 'enough' at some point during pre-alpha and'this is gonna be our game' and goes through alpha and beta and then to release quickly. If they've produced proper code from the start, that will go a lot quicker than otherwise. Going gold - just like that (working an insane crunch). Since we know when the game's gonna release and when beta starts, you can estimate that any day now, somebody at DICE will say 'Enough. Time to polish this diamond/semi-precious stone/turd into a release candidate.' I'm confident BF3 will prove to be a diamond of a game, even if it might be a diamond in the rough at release.

'Go DICE! Go! You guys can do it. I have faith in you.' - Is all that's left to say.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By mikemcn

@dioxys said:

@TheMustacheHero said:

In Sweden, pre-alpha means about to go gold. True fact.

Case in point: Minecraft Beta :)

Minecraft never needs to go gold, the console version could come out and PC minecraft would still be in beta.

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

When a game is alpha, it has to have every feature that the final product will have. So pre-alpha just means they're adding more stuff (or removing).

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @TheMustacheHero said:

In Sweden, pre-alpha means about to go gold.  True fact.

Damn so thats why most the games I've played out of sweden needed a patch a year later to fix the major problems. 
    intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By intro

People think that since it's in pre-alpha there will be major engine changes, but the game is only a few months away, that's just not possible. I don't think too much graphic wise will change for PC or Consoles when the game ships. I guess each dev just labels things differently than others.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Sounds exactly right actually. Beta in September, Alpha late July to August.

Yup, spot on.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Rolyatkcinmai said:

Yup, spot on.

How is that spot on? The beta needs to be at least 3 months before the game is out so that we get to play/test it for a month and the developer fixes all the shit we find for two months 

If the beta begins September 5th and ends the 30th, DICE will have 25 days to fix the game... what the hell gets done in 25 days? That beta is useless and their schedule is fucked up. DICE always screw up and have shit fire back at them, yet they never learn
    Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

Yup, spot on.

How is that spot on? The beta needs to be at least 3 months before the game is out so that we get to play/test it for a month and the developer fixes all the shit we find for two months If the beta begins September 5th and ends the 30th, DICE will have 25 days to fix the game... what the hell gets done in 25 days? That beta is useless and their schedule is fucked up. DICE always screw up and have shit fire back at them, yet they never learn

I don't know what else to say other than that is standard business practice for a shooter in 2011. It's not like this is DICE's first foray into multiplayer shooters. They're not beta testing an MMO. 25 days is more than enough.

The Gears 3 beta was four weeks, and that game felt smooth as fucking hell by the end of it.

You're incorrect.

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#20  Edited By KillyDarko

The fact that they're showing pre-alpha doesn't mean that they're still in that stage.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Rolyatkcinmai said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

Yup, spot on.

How is that spot on? The beta needs to be at least 3 months before the game is out so that we get to play/test it for a month and the developer fixes all the shit we find for two months If the beta begins September 5th and ends the 30th, DICE will have 25 days to fix the game... what the hell gets done in 25 days? That beta is useless and their schedule is fucked up. DICE always screw up and have shit fire back at them, yet they never learn

I don't know what else to say other than that is standard business practice for a shooter in 2011. It's not like this is DICE's first foray into multiplayer shooters. They're not beta testing an MMO. 25 days is more than enough.

When the BC2 beta was released, DICE then had 7 years of multiplayer crafting experience. 
    That didn't stop the game from stinking to high heaven, many bugs and glitches were found, DICE fixed so many of them, and still on day 1 the game was such a trainwreck, not connecting to the EA servers, having all kinds of messed up gameplay aspects like the bad knifing and overpowered guns and classes etc......... it's still a bit of a mess today, more than a year after release 
    You were saying ? 

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

The Gears 3 beta was four weeks, and that game felt smooth as fucking hell by the end of it.

You're incorrect.

Uh.. Gears of War 3 is a small-map few-player arena shooter running on a single console exclusively, using the same old updated engine and is more or less Gears of War 2.2 .. 
     Battlefield 3 is a 64-player vehicular warfare huge-map multi-platform multiplayer shooter built on a brand new cutting edge engine and is innovating (or at least bringing something new to the table) gameplay wise. (So many gameplay aspects were changed from past BF games)

Yes, i can see that GoW3's beta being smooth means the all new Battlefield will be the same >_>
    Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

Random nonsense

BC2 was phenomenal, and all multiplayer shooter betas have been around the same amount of time. You're clearly the odd one out here. No one cares.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Rolyatkcinmai said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

Random nonsense

BC2 was phenomenal, and all multiplayer shooter betas have been around the same amount of time. You're clearly the odd one out here. No one cares.

Either that you're trolling me, or that you're completely oblivious to the technical trainwreck that is Bad Company 2 
    You don't believe me? Or you didn't know? Go on the official EA BC2 forums, or any gaming forums for that matter, and see the hundreds of month-spanning threads discussing the game's clusterfuck of issues and asking for help and fixes. Or the threads where people collectively agree on the game's crystal clear flaws and bugs

But since you replaced my comment with those two words, and ignored the rest of my points, i'll just assume that you're trolling me
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Calling BF3 Pre Alpha means they are honest. Every other company sells their beta test products as full versions and then patch after release. ;)

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

Random nonsense

Either that you're trolling me, or that you're completely oblivious to the technical trainwreck that is Bad Company 2 You don't believe me? Or you didn't know? Go on the official EA BC2 forums, or any gaming forums for that matter, and see the hundreds of month-spanning threads discussing the game's clusterfuck of issues and asking for help and fixes. Or the threads where people collectively agree on the game's crystal clear flaws and bugs But since you replaced my comment with those two words, and ignored the rest of my points, i'll just assume that you're trolling me

I replaced your comment because it was you rambling on about nothing with your lies and fallacies.

I know loads of people who play BC2 still (including Vietnam) and have never experienced problems. Go to the game forums for any game and you will see people with problems bitching, that's what those forums are for. BC2 was a massive success and a fantastic MP game. Go cry elsewhere. Look at the rest of this thread, you're wrong. Deal with it. This is the last time I reply to your cynical ass. If you don't think they will have enough time (which is pretty fucking stupid since no one has played it), then don't buy the game. No one will miss you.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Rolyatkcinmai:  All you had to tell me in the first place is that you're a hostile tool, i wouldn't have bothered saying anything to you then. Ignore this discussion, BC2 is amazing and a beta one month before the game makes sense.
    ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By ericdrum

@Ahmad_Metallic: Dude, you fired the first salvo by completely dismissing a game that a lot of people love.

Maybe I only play crappy MP shooters, but I have NEVER played a game that didn't have annoying issues during the first few weeks. Every BF game has had this for sure.

withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By withateethuh

Luckily they gave us a single player mode this time to hold many over while they fix their server difficulties at launch. Brilliant move. 

Edit: So it seems that their development cycle is more like beta is 90% complete with bugs, and gold will be after debugging and whatnot.

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Evilmetal

logic states they can't be in 'pre-alpha' even if they say. Did they not define pre-alpha? that it means not being feature locked. But what happens if you have a system that is easily modifiable, where adding new components or removing is quite easy? They could claim to be in pre-alpha when in fact they are in beta. So in one front they are pre-alpha, while in another front they are in beta. 

This Thursday is their last day of work and then they go on their one month long vacation, right? So BF3 work will continue in August? So they have 2 months. End of September they have to send it out to get certified and go into replication, right? August they need to make something solid in order to allow an open beta in September.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.